PDA

View Full Version : Emeka Okafor A SPUR someday?

KEVIN78250
10-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Do You Guys Think That The Spurs Will Have A Chance At Landing Him When His Contract Ends. Okafor Playing Alongside Duncan Would Be A Nice Mix.

travis2
10-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Seriously Doubt It. And Learning How To Mix Caps And Lower-Case Letters Properly Would Be A Plus. Just My Opinion.

Horry For 3!
10-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Okafor is a PF but I guess he could play the C but I doubt the Spurs would get him anyways.

ObiwanGinobili
10-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm a big Omeka fan because I'm a huge UCONN fan. It would be a dream to have him here palying with my Spurs... but it ain;t gonna happen.
I doubt it.

ducks
10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
will his back hold up for more then 4-6 years?

MiNuS
10-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Omeka Okafor will be a bust or at best mediocre. I don't like rookies that start with injury excuses. JMHO.

FromWayDowntown
10-07-2005, 01:50 PM
If you want Emeka Okafor in a Spurs uniform, you'd better be prepared to give up players via trade -- and not just garbage players with bad contracts. The Spurs won't have cap room to sign anyone to any deals involving players from other teams, other than those allowed by exceptions to the cap (MLE, LLE, Vet minimum).

Unless you can convince Emeka to take the MLE or unless you're willing to deal off someone like Manu and some other pieces, you can't get Okafor.

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2005, 01:58 PM
mahinmi>okafor believe in the sarcasm

ducks
10-07-2005, 01:59 PM
I am going to get bashed for this
but when okafor is a free agent or manu will be going down hill
it will be like 4 -5 more years

the way manu plays makes him effective
I am not sure how effective manu will be AFTER HIS CONTRACT IS UP.

to be fair I am not sure how great tp will be after this contract is up do to his jumpshot. I hope by then his shot will improve alot though.

FromWayDowntown
10-07-2005, 02:05 PM
I am going to get bashed for this
but when okafor is a free agent or manu will be going down hill
it will be like 4 -5 more years

the way manu plays makes him effective
I am not sure how effective manu will be AFTER HIS CONTRACT IS UP.

to be fair I am not sure how great tp will be after this contract is up do to his jumpshot. I hope by then his shot will improve alot though.

So, would you be willing to trade Manu and/or Parker to get Okafor before their contracts expire? That's the only realistic way the Spurs can get Okafor in his first free agency.

Spurminator
10-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Last edited by ChumpDumper : Today at 01:53 PM. Reason: qualifiers are your friends

:lol

Nicely done.

ducks
10-07-2005, 02:31 PM
not sure
one maybe not both but who knows do to them being effective in 4-5 years

ducks
10-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Okafor turns to yoga, 'The Dream' to improve for second season
By AARON BEARD, AP Sports Writer
October 7, 2005

WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) -- No one can accuse Emeka Okafor of spending the offseason lounging around on the couch and eating mounds of ice cream. Especially if they caught even a fleeting glimpse of him in the Charlotte Bobcats' training camp.

Okafor, last year's NBA rookie of the year, sought out the tutelage of former league MVP Hakeem Olajuwon to improve his game and took up yoga to improve his flexibility.

Despite working with weights primarily to improve and tone target areas, the 6-foot-10 forward looks stronger and has bulked up nearly 20 pounds since the end of last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
``It's a new age,'' Okafor said Thursday, the third day of the team's training camp at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. ``The more we learn, the more we take care of our bodies. The better you take care of your body, the longer you'll play and the more efficient you'll be.''

That kind of approach is a welcome sight for the Bobcats, who have made Okafor the face of a franchise trying to make it in a city jaded by a nasty split with its once-beloved Hornets three years ago. He lived up to expectations by leading all rookies with 15.1 points and 10.9 rebounds per game in the team's 18-64 inaugural season, and he doesn't sound content to stand pat.

``I still don't feel like I really deserve that yet,'' Okafor said of seeing his face on billboards and team advertisements around Charlotte. ``It's a good honor, but I feel I can't rest on that. I feel like I have to do more.''

His impressive physique -- the result of a somewhat unconventional workout plan -- proves that.

He credits much of his physical gains to yoga, which he began because he hoped it would improve his flexibility. By the end of the summer, he was practicing it three times a week.

``I didn't know it was that beneficial until I actually tried it,'' he said. ``After the first session, I felt pretty good. After the first two weeks, you just feel great. Afterward, you just feel so relaxed.

``When I have my yoga session, I'll bust out my mat, go to my yoga master and get cracking.''

Okafor also said he shunned long hours in the weight room and skipped the ``million squats with 400 pounds,'' opting instead to work on strengthening and toning specific muscle groups used in basketball.

Soon he was surprised to step on the scales and find himself weighing 273 pounds, 18 heavier than his roster weight.

``I stepped on the scale thinking I had lost weight,'' he said with a laugh.

Yet he doesn't feel the added bulk will slow him down.

``I've noticed an improvement in just the way I feel and the way I move,'' he said. ``I'm just more in-tune with every aspect of my body. I still feel flexible and able to do what I do.''

While that took care of the physical preparation, Okafor contacted Olajuwon through a friend to learn from the man who led Okafor's hometown Houston Rockets to two NBA championships. He spent about two weeks in August working with Olajuwon at a fitness center in Houston, picking up what he could from the retired All-Star nicknamed ``The Dream.''

Bobcats coach Bernie Bickerstaff figures it was a perfect match, and he's seeing some of the results of Okafor's work in training camp.

``I think Hakeem fits Emeka more so than most of the big guys that I've seen,'' Bickerstaff said. ``If you look at their body types and their quickness and their spins, I think there's kindred spirits there.''

Okafor's biggest challenge in camp so far has been getting into basketball shape, from working on his timing to getting used to running up and down the court again after spending the summer working on individual skills.

But he sounds content to stay with his new look.

``They say if it's good weight, it'll stay on, so I don't think it's going anywhere,'' Okafor said. ``At first, I had some reservations thinking, `OK, maybe it'll slow me down.' But once I started running full speed I thought, `I can handle it just fine.'''

ALVAREZ6
10-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Why?

ChumpDumper
10-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Damn, he's got to be a monster at 273 -- if it's muscle of course.

Brutalis
10-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Players height and weight are always over-obsessed. Joe Johnson isnt a buck over 200 pounds. Same thing with DRob and 250lbs, I dont think so. Duncan has been listed at 260, 240, I've seen is vary many times when I bet he isnt a penny over 235.

Emeka is about 250 at best IMO.

ducks
10-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Why?

what?