PDA

View Full Version : Slow defensive starts...

ElNono
11-05-2016, 10:02 PM
No panic thread, tbh, we're 5-2, one of the best records in the NBA...

That said, it's happened twice this week already. We walk into the AT&T Center and give the other team whatever they want in the 1st quarter, digging a hole too deep to crawl back from.

I mean, I remember this stuff happening even in the prime Duncan years, but it either was once in a while or we actually managed to dig ourselves out of that hole.

Twice already in one week is kinda alarming for a team that should look to be top 5 in defense if they want to remain up top in the West.

Love Danny, but I can't expect him to fix this all by himself. Does Pop needs to pull the soft card already, tbh?

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Would be interesting to see how the defense would look with DG and Dedmon in the starting unit..unfortunately, Pau would never happily accept a bench role IMO..

He wasn't content with sitting to accommodate a prime Dwight Howard, he certainly wouldn't be happy sitting for a no-name in Dedmon:lol

Chinook
11-05-2016, 10:07 PM
The Jazz game was mostly just bullshit shots. This was the Spurs not being able to get into any offensive rhythm and allowing LAC push the pace of misses. That led to a bunch of mismatches. Also, Kawhi and Anderson forgot who LRMaM was.

dabom
1st of all, we lost Danny. The best defensive 2 guard in the league.

2nd of all, we replace him with Fathead/Simmons. :lol

3rd of all, we keep switching the rotation between Fathead and Simmons.

4th of all, we inserted Pau Gasol into our starting lineups. He needs time to adjust to all these different like ups and rotations and synergy.

Time will fix all these problems.

Darius Bieber
I can see another slow defensive start against the Rockets for sure. Harden will feast.

RD2191
11-05-2016, 10:11 PM
4 out of our 5 starters are shit defenders. It's more of a terrible starting defense than slow defensive starts. Kawhi is also our leading scorer now which takes away even more from our defense.

dabom
11-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Green to FAThead/Simmons is just as big a drop off as Kawhi to Fathead. :lol

Chinook
11-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Pau's been fine defensively. He's been a top-four player in like every category on that end. The problem has been that Parker, Mills, Simmons and LMA have been bad or subpar.

TheGreatYacht
11-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Didn't think it was possible, but someone actually made Mbah a Moute look like a scoring machine.

Who says Kyle Anderson sucks at offense? His assignments explode offensively each time

Chinook
11-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Didn't think it was possible, but someone actually made Mbah a Moute look like a scoring machine.

Who says Kyle Anderson sucks at offense? His assignments explode offensively each time

I don't think Anderson was guarding MaM on most of those makes. On that one to break the Spurs' run in the second, Kawhi was hanging out in the paint and did that "my bad" sign running back up the court. Anderson had his bad moments, though. For MaM, I think it was just him exposing the game-plan. The Spurs should never leave someone open by design, because they always get burned by scrubs.

SAGirl
11-05-2016, 10:19 PM

That said, it's happened twice this week already. We walk into the AT&T Center and give the other team whatever they want in the 1st quarter, digging a hole too deep to crawl back from.

I mean, I remember this stuff happening even in the prime Duncan years, but it either was once in a while or we actually managed to dig ourselves out of that hole.

Twice already in one week is kinda alarming for a team that should look to be top 5 in defense if they want to remain up top in the West.

Love Danny, but I can't expect him to fix this all by himself. Does Pop needs to pull the soft card already, tbh?

Frankly I haven't liked Gasol's effort on defense at all and the pairing with LMA hasn't been good.

I had stayed mostly out of voicing opinions about it bc due to fathead being in the lineup I am sure guys would chew me out but the game with Simmons was similar. Tony had been playing poorly as well, so it was hard to pin a single guy or factor. . . but Pau's rim protection is horrendous... and the switches are terrible for him. I think this early Pop is still trying to figure out what works with the two bigs together on defense (zone? I have seen some and they are bad at it.)... frankly they have been listless on defense. I could see Pau's minutes be limited (remember against GSW when he was benched and Dedmon changed the defense with his energy?)...

HarlemHeat37
11-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Pau's been fine defensively. He's been a top-four player in like every category on that end. The problem has been that Parker, Mills, Simmons and LMA have been bad or subpar.

I don't think Pau has been bad, but I don't think he's good enough to cover for Aldridge, who has been a disaster defensively, for whatever reason(he was actually pretty decent, last season)..Dedmon would be a better fit IMO..

I do think Pau's shot-blocking strength will be emphasized when Danny returns, though..his ability to keep the opposition in front of him + funneling will aid Gasol to display his best defensive attribute..

Not to mention that Danny is now one of the veterans on the team..without Tim QB'ing the defense, they're going to need somebody other than Kawhi(who isn't the most vocal player) to be the vocal leader on D, which will probably be DG, this season(based on his experience in the system and his personality)

ElNono
11-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Would be interesting to see how the defense would look with DG and Dedmon in the starting unit..unfortunately, Pau would never happily accept a bench role IMO..

He wasn't content with sitting to accommodate a prime Dwight Howard, he certainly wouldn't be happy sitting for a no-name in Dedmon:lol

Biggest Diva frontcourt in the NBA, tbh? :lol

Frankly, I expect Pau to show his age here or there, tbh... he's been very good overall, I thought, so far.

If you get a minute, check out the 1st quarter, I thought switching everything was really a bad idea in this game.

Kawhitstorm
11-05-2016, 10:22 PM
I don't think Pau has been bad, but I don't think he's good enough to cover for Aldridge, who has been a disaster defensively, for whatever reason(he was actually pretty decent, last season)..Dedmon would be a better fit IMO...

Softridge played like ass during the first half of last season, dude probably doesn't stay in shape during the Summer.

Mnky
11-05-2016, 10:24 PM

Something I didnt think much about was the scheduling. It was a tough first couple weeks, with quite a bit of traveling and a back to back. Might explain some of the brain farts away.

Kawhitstorm
11-05-2016, 10:24 PM
I don't think Anderson was guarding MaM on most of those makes. On that one to break the Spurs' run in the second, Kawhi was hanging out in the paint and did that "my bad" sign running back up the court. Anderson had his bad moments, though. For MaM, I think it was just him exposing the game-plan. The Spurs should never leave someone open by design, because they always get burned by scrubs.

Moute doesn't make shyt against GSW who give him the Tony Allen treatment. They also did the same thing to Roberson this week.

ElNono
11-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Frankly I haven't liked Gasol's effort on defense at all and the pairing with LMA hasn't been good.

I had stayed mostly out of voicing opinions about it bc due to fathead being in the lineup I am sure guys would chew me out but the game with Simmons was similar. Tony had been playing poorly as well, so it was hard to pin a single guy or factor. . . but Pau's rim protection is horrendous... and the switches are terrible for him. I think this early Pop is still trying to figure out what works with the two bigs together on defense (zone? I have seen some and they are bad at it.)... frankly they have been listless on defense. I could see Pau's minutes be limited (remember against GSW when he was benched and Dedmon changed the defense with his energy?)...

I thought Pop has had a short leash with Pau so far... I think against the Kings and New Orleans he went with Dedmon more when he was getting abused down low.

I mean, I'm not against Dedmon starting for defensive purposes, but that would make the SL even more reliant on Kawhi/LMA for offense... not sure that's a great idea.

timtonymanu
11-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Yeah it's obvious Dedmon needs to start. Softdridge needs someone to hold his hand still on defense. Both Gasol and Aldridge need to get over themselves and do what's right for the team. Funny that Pop preaches that but picks up two divas in the front court.

SAGirl
11-05-2016, 10:30 PM
LMA had a rough rough night with Griffin tonight for sure.

daslicer
11-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Yeah it's obvious Dedmon needs to start. Softdridge needs someone to hold his hand still on defense. Both Gasol and Aldridge need to get over themselves and do what's right for the team. Funny that Pop preaches that but picks up two divas in the front court.

:lol Aldridge should come off the bench? 20 mil for a bench warmer.

RD2191
11-05-2016, 10:32 PM
LMA doesn't have the worth ethic to be a Spur. I honestly think lma is perfectly fine without ever winning a title. I see zero drive in his game.

timtonymanu
11-05-2016, 10:35 PM
:lol Aldridge should come off the bench? 20 mil for a bench warmer.

I'm talking about Pau, not LMA.

TimDunkem
11-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Pau off the bench would actually be really nice but, as we all know, he'd never accept it. :depressed

SAGirl
11-05-2016, 10:41 PM
I thought Pop has had a short leash with Pau so far... I think against the Kings and New Orleans he went with Dedmon more when he was getting abused down low.

I mean, I'm not against Dedmon starting for defensive purposes, but that would make the SL even more reliant on Kawhi/LMA for offense... not sure that's a great idea.
You have a good point and considering what he's paid and his diva reputation, Pop may play it by the occasion with a short leash, but since they start together, those are the bad defensive starts..

Pop has been tough coaching Dedmon to stop his fouling too (that is the occasional super small lineup he's run with Lee as a 5). He won't bench Pau and it may be damage control. If Pau is in position he does affect and block shots, the problem is that he's so statuesque that he can't get in position. I don't know what the answer is.

When Danny returns we shall see, they should improve but frankly it doesn't escape me how the bulls struggled on defense last season..

Chinook
11-05-2016, 10:44 PM
I don't think Pau has been bad, but I don't think he's good enough to cover for Aldridge, who has been a disaster defensively, for whatever reason(he was actually pretty decent, last season)..Dedmon would be a better fit IMO..

I do think Pau's shot-blocking strength will be emphasized when Danny returns, though..his ability to keep the opposition in front of him + funneling will aid Gasol to display his best defensive attribute..

Not to mention that Danny is now one of the veterans on the team..without Tim QB'ing the defense, they're going to need somebody other than Kawhi(who isn't the most vocal player) to be the vocal leader on D, which will probably be DG, this season(based on his experience in the system and his personality)

That's all true enough. Keith Smith's source had a point. But I know people are going to try to blame Pau and Anderson for the drop in D, and that's not really the case. Has a ton to do with LMA and the back court.

SAGirl
11-05-2016, 10:52 PM
That's all true enough. Keith Smith's source had a point. But I know people are going to try to blame Pau and Anderson for the drop in D, and that's not really the case. Has a ton to do with LMA and the back court.

LMA hasn't been good on defense either. He's in the perimeter too much to start... I am not sure what he should be doing, but he's been foul prone too, and Pop is letting him guard star PF with no help. I remember in the Pelicans game Pop said that the plan was to see what LMA could do against Davis one on one and they didn't decide to send help until the second half. I saw some of the same here. KA wasn't doubling on Griffin until the second half. Pop is experimenting early, and I agree LMA has struggled. Maybe the guys who say he's out of shape have a point.

Kawhitstorm
11-05-2016, 10:55 PM
LMA hasn't been good on defense either. He's in the perimeter too much to start... I am not sure what he should be doing, but he's been foul prone too, and Pop is letting him guard star PF with no help. I remember in the Pelicans game Pop said that the plan was to see what LMA could do against Davis one on one and they didn't decide to send help until the second half. I saw some of the same here. KA wasn't doubling on Griffin until the second half. Pop is experimenting early, and I agree LMA has struggled. Maybe the guys who say he's out of shape have a point.

I've learned my lesson from last season, if Softridge isn't going to get moved then I'm going to wait till the 2nd half of the season before I make a final judgement on his play although it pretty obvious he's going to choke in the 2nd rd.

SAGirl
11-05-2016, 11:38 PM
I've learned my lesson from last season, if Softridge isn't going to get moved then I'm going to wait till the 2nd half of the season before I make a final judgement on his play although it pretty obvious he's going to choke in the 2nd rd.

You have a good point on letting him get in shape and in a rhythm and for Pop to get on him too about what he is supposed to be doing. Too early to call it.

TheGreatYacht
11-06-2016, 12:18 AM
Pau off the bench would actually be really nice but, as we all know, he'd never accept it. :depressed
Good, then he wouldn't accept the player option

MaNu4Tres
11-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Starts with taking good shots or manufacturing quality efficient looks.

Spurs couldnt find them in 1st qtr and it ignited the Clippers fast break or transition opportunities. Hard to play great transition D when Leonard was constantly the guy trailing behind everyone after his terrible attempts tonight. Not having Green and having Gasol/ Aldridge plod down behind Blake doesnt help either.

Needed to make an adjustment to set the screens out further to create more space for Kawhi to manufacturer better looks for him and his teammates going downhill.

YGWHI
11-06-2016, 12:46 AM
Not just this game. The Spurs had slow defensive starts in the last 4 games.

Hoops Czar
11-06-2016, 01:04 AM
Too many below average, low ceiling players on the roster, tbh. The defense is horrid because those are the types of players the Spurs signed in the offseason. This is by far the worst defense the Spurs have had since before Duncan. Whoever thought this clusterfuck of a roster would be a contender in today's NBA. :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
11-06-2016, 01:23 AM
Coach Bud's response to the Spurs defense:

https://media.giphy.com/media/LnJlJvs8lemCk/giphy.gif

SAGirl
11-06-2016, 04:11 AM
Pau Gasol defense:
2016-17 Regular Season Defense Dashboard

Defense Category
GP
G
DFGM
DFGA
DFG%
FREQ
FG%
Diff%

Overall
100%

3 Pointers
11.8%

2 Pointers
88.2%

Less Than 6 Ft
47.1%

Less Than 10 Ft
64.7%

Greater Than 15 Ft
27.9%

Opponents shooting a whole lot better than their average when defended by Gasol.

Gasol IMO is the problem. In NBA.com/stats everyone else who has played in the SL has been good defending some shots, maybe not so good defending on others, but even Tony has been contesting shots well enough, LMA, Kawhi, Kyle have defended ok on some distances, not ok on others, but none of them are as bad accross the board as Gasol.

Danny will help a lot, but truthfully the problem is Gasol and maybe Pop can't switch him on to perimeter players that much.. but really Gasol looks like he's exerting no effort or moving at times... Food for thought. :corn:

Obstructed_View
11-06-2016, 05:39 AM

Yeah, Kawhi Leonard needs to be traded.

TrainOfThought5
11-06-2016, 05:59 AM

He needs to start Dedmon asap. Preferably when Danny comes back.

NameLess Scrub
11-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Softridge played like ass during the first half of last season, dude probably doesn't stay in shape during the Summer.

This I suspect. Dude apparently took the Spurs crash course with Boris. He used to look slim on the Blazers uniform.
Now he looks kind of chubby. He probably needs to stop taking Shaq's approach to the NBA season.

TD 21
11-06-2016, 05:22 PM
I haven't looked into the numbers yet, but I don't even care how they look, to my eyes, Gasol has been terrible defensively and is probably only being propped up because some foolishly thought they'd be about the same and aren't ready (more likely, willing) to admit defeat.

Green will obviously help, but even if they eventually settle in as let's say the 5th best defense, that's actually much more significant than it may seem because the offense still isn't explosive.

sasaint
11-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Pau Gasol defense:
2016-17 Regular Season Defense Dashboard

Defense Category
GP
G
DFGM
DFGA
DFG%
FREQ
FG%
Diff%

Overall
100%

3 Pointers
11.8%

2 Pointers
88.2%

Less Than 6 Ft
47.1%

Less Than 10 Ft
64.7%

Greater Than 15 Ft
27.9%

Opponents shooting a whole lot better than their average when defended by Gasol.

Gasol IMO is the problem. In NBA.com/stats everyone else who has played in the SL has been good defending some shots, maybe not so good defending on others, but even Tony has been contesting shots well enough, LMA, Kawhi, Kyle have defended ok on some distances, not ok on others, but none of them are as bad accross the board as Gasol.

Danny will help a lot, but truthfully the problem is Gasol and maybe Pop can't switch him on to perimeter players that much.. but really Gasol looks like he's exerting no effort or moving at times... Food for thought. :corn:

Thanks (I guess :grim: ) for posting the data. It was kind of hard to know what to expect coming into this season when Gasol would be asked to replace a one-legged man. Some suggested his defense was terrible; some that it wasn't as bad as advertised. Regardless, I do not see Gasol going to the second unit. I personally believe that the Spurs have made some poor FA choices the last two off-seasons for which the team will pay for a few years (mostly opportunity costs), making Kawhi The Bridge.

SAGirl
11-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Thanks (I guess :grim: ) for posting the data. It was kind of hard to know what to expect coming into this season when Gasol would be asked to replace a one-legged man. Some suggested his defense was terrible; some that it wasn't as bad as advertised. Regardless, I do not see Gasol going to the second unit. I personally believe that the Spurs have made some poor FA choices the last two off-seasons for which the team will pay for a few years (mostly opportunity costs), making Kawhi The Bridge.

Definitely the availability of FA targets is a limit... It's not NBA 2K.... and possibly trades have been explored but maybe none has been favorable.

There's no dream scenario, but the Tony contract and decline has hamstrung the team and I do tend to think Gasol rught now is doing more harm than good. His numbers are in the negative overall. Team is better with him off the court than on, by a landslide. The only worse player has been Tony in the regular rotation, in terms of negative impact. His value is mostly offensive and when you already have LMA, he just takes possessions and shots from LMA... and if you don't have him there for offensive purposes, then why have him there at all. You'd be wasting him bc he's a defensive liability. He might become unplayable in some situations, but we know Pop won't bench him... I kind of agree that they have gone in a direction that seems aimed at compensating for the decline in their former star backcourt duo... who they were unwilling to move on from.

I could be wrong bc it's early and last season LMA and the team got a hang of things later in the season, and in fact I do hope to be wrong bc the team already made their choices and there's only one way to go from here: onwards. I don't think they would be better trading off LMA and staying with Pau. He's more skilled but to have a center who can't defend adequately, I don't think that's a legit championship contender. It wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs best line-up doesn't include him by seasons end. Again I hope to be wrong. It's early and Pop may figure something out....

SAGirl
11-06-2016, 06:26 PM
As of right now, per bball reference, Spurs are 11th in the league on defense
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2017.html

Record: 5-2, 3rd in NBA (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017.html) Western Conference
Last Game: L 92-116 vs. LAC (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201611050SAS.html)
Next Game: Wednesday, Nov. 9 vs. HOU
Coach: Gregg Popovich (http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/popovgr99c.html) (5-2)
PTS/G: 102.6 (16th of 30) Opp PTS/G: 97.1 (7th of 30)
SRS (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#srs): 6.03 (7th of 30) Pace (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#pace): 93.6 (27th of 30)
Off Rtg (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#off_rtg): 109.6 (7th of 30) Def Rtg (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#def_rtg): 103.8 (11th of 30)

Expected W-L (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#wins_pyth): 5-2 (7th of 30)
Arena: AT&T Center Attendance: 55,254 (15th of 30)

sasaint
11-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Definitely the availability of FA targets is a limit... It's not NBA 2K.... and possibly trades have been explored but maybe none has been favorable.

There's no dream scenario, but the Tony contract and decline has hamstrung the team and I do tend to think Gasol rught now is doing more harm than good. His numbers are in the negative overall. Team is better with him off the court than on, by a landslide. The only worse player has been Tony in the regular rotation, in terms of negative impact. His value is mostly offensive and when you already have LMA, he just takes possessions and shots from LMA... and if you don't have him there for offensive purposes, then why have him there at all. You'd be wasting him bc he's a defensive liability. He might become unplayable in some situations, but we know Pop won't bench him... I kind of agree that they have gone in a direction that seems aimed at compensating for the decline in their former star backcourt duo... who they were unwilling to move on from.

I could be wrong bc it's early and last season LMA and the team got a hang of things later in the season, and in fact I do hope to be wrong bc the team already made their choices and there's only one way to go from here: onwards. I don't think they would be better trading off LMA and staying with Pau. He's more skilled but to have a center who can't defend adequately, I don't think that's a legit championship contender. It wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs best line-up doesn't include him by seasons end. Again I hope to be wrong. It's early and Pop may figure something out....

LMA ain't getting traded. Pau ain't going to the bench. Tony ain't going anywhere. I don't see the Spurs truly contending for a few years. I hope my X-factor, Deadman continues to develop. And I hope Kawhi turns out to be as loyal as DRob was.

The team is now paying and will continue to pay dearly for its loyalty to Manu and Tony - actually, Bonner, too. That is compounded by the situation with the "bigs", and by the lack of development of another good young prospect or two before now. It might be a trying season as things stand, but truth is, the Spurs are an injury away from missing the playoffs and/or making the lottery.

YGWHI
11-06-2016, 06:32 PM
As of right now, per bball reference, Spurs are 11th in the league on defense
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2017.html

Record: 5-2, 3rd in NBA (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017.html) Western Conference
Last Game: L 92-116 vs. LAC (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201611050SAS.html)
Next Game: Wednesday, Nov. 9 vs. HOU
Coach: Gregg Popovich (http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/popovgr99c.html) (5-2)
PTS/G: 102.6 (16th of 30) Opp PTS/G: 97.1 (7th of 30)
SRS (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#srs): 6.03 (7th of 30) Pace (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#pace): 93.6 (27th of 30)
Off Rtg (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#off_rtg): 109.6 (7th of 30) Def Rtg (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#def_rtg): 103.8 (11th of 30)

Expected W-L (http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html#wins_pyth): 5-2 (7th of 30)
Arena: AT&T Center Attendance: 55,254 (15th of 30)

Well, just one game changes every thing starting the season...IIRC the Spurs were #7 in Def Rtg before the Clippers game and #5 before Jazz game.

After 3 games the Spurs went from #5 to #11...

SAGirl
11-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Well, just one game changes every thing starting the season...IIRC the Spurs were #7 in Def Rtg before the Clippers game and #5 before Jazz game.

After 3 games the Spurs went from #5 to #11...

2 of those games they lost, the Clippers game was historically the worst defensive half of the Pop era...
the Jazz lit the Spurs up and they got wide open looks, only a few shots were tough, mostly by Hood who is a talented scorer, but all sorts of roleplayers got going... then use your eye test.

We shall see... Danny's biggest impact is defense, and I expect Pop to make adjustments. I hope to be wrong in my early ring of the alarm bell.

YGWHI
11-06-2016, 09:05 PM
We shall see... Danny's biggest impact is defense, and I expect Pop to make adjustments. I hope to be wrong in my early ring of the alarm bell.

For the record, no one says you're wrong. At least, not me.

I was very pessimist about our defense in the offseason and about the bench performance, too.
But Patty, Manu, Lee, Dedmon had some good games and it seemed like they could build chemistry together so my biggest concern is still Spurs' D.

Spurtacular
11-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Maybe, this is the new normal. Spurs look great most games and really pitiful on some occasions.

MaNu4Tres
11-07-2016, 12:28 AM
And people wanted Danny Green traded this summer...

Most underrated player on the team.

Ranked 1st in the NBA in DRPM for SGs last year. He will not only make a significant impact on the defensive end, but his spacing in itself will be important for the offense.

I'll reserve judgement on the teams' defense til he gets back in the swing of things.

tonight...you
11-07-2016, 12:33 AM
And people wanted Danny Green traded this summer...

Most underrated player on the team.

Ranked 1st in the NBA in DRPM for SGs last year. He will not only make a significant impact on the defensive end, but his spacing in itself will be important for the offense.

I'll reserve judgement on the teams' defense til he gets back in the swing of things.
Damn real.
Parker is going to be the thorn in this team's side, but let's at least get Danny back in the fold... Then some more functional declarative statements can be made and addressed on a more concrete level.

Like, yeah and shits...

Brazil
11-07-2016, 06:43 AM
:lol losing Tim motherfucking Duncan does that kind of things you know

SAGirl
11-07-2016, 05:01 PM

YGWHI
11-08-2016, 01:31 AM

Amazing Pop but the wrong questions.

They should ask him for these things on defense.

It's hard to have good defensive starts when you have Parker and Pau together in the starting lineup...

MaNu4Tres
11-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Amazing Pop but the wrong questions.

They should ask him for these things on defense.

It's hard to have good defensive starts when you have Parker and Pau together in the starting lineup...

Jabari is the only guy that covers the Spurs that has the balls to ask.

szkorhetz
11-09-2016, 11:49 AM
http://www.opencourt-basketball.com/retired-tim-duncan-still-is-the-last-to-leave-spurs-practice/

(http://www.opencourt-basketball.com/retired-tim-duncan-still-is-the-last-to-leave-spurs-practice/)I know it's probably just the love for the game, but he practices way too much if we think he truly meant the wheels fell off thing.
I think he'll be back.

SAGirl
11-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Spurs nowhere in here. Clippers ahead on defense, so far.

dabom
11-09-2016, 09:00 PM
Spurs nowhere in here. Clippers ahead on defense, so far.

Can't believe Fathead/Simmons Porker LMA Gasol lineup ain't holding out...

ElNono
11-09-2016, 10:06 PM
gave up 33pts in the 1st quarter again :td

DarrinS
11-09-2016, 10:09 PM
gave up 33pts in the 1st quarter again :td

Defense has sucked

spurtech09
11-09-2016, 10:09 PM
Seems like the New guys are still trying to adjust....

marinoman
11-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Defense has sucked
Damn Parker

SAGirl
12-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Questions about San Antonio’s defense, however, have arrived right on schedule. Last season, the Spurs sent Duncan off with a once-a-decade level of defensive mastery. So far this season, they’ve slipped to 9th, with the 36-year-old Gasol dragging his team’s defensive rating down nearly seven points when he’s on the court. The Gasol/LaMarcus Aldridge pairing has posted a 106.6 defensive rating in 239 minutes together this season; by comparison, Duncan/Aldridge boasted a killer 95.4 defensive rating in 1,150 minutes last year. For comparison’s sake, Duncan/Aldridge’s rating is better than the NBA’s best overall defense this season, while Gasol/Aldridge ranks 22nd, behind the Rockets and barely better than the Sixers. Dewayne Dedmon has stepped up as a designated interior stopper, but A-list opponents like the Warriors and Clippers are likely to treat him as a non-threat. The 7-footer has also never appeared in a postseason game.
Over the years, San Antonio has run a very narrow gamut from “They’re really good and will cream any team that doesn’t have their stuff together” to “They’re undeniable and will cream everyone, including LeBron James in his prime.” Now that the rush of their season-opening beatdown of Golden State has worn off, this year’s group looks more “very good” than “undeniable.” If the Gasol/Aldridge duo can’t play elite defensive together and if San Antonio’s other frontline options all require compromises, the endgame here probably doesn’t involve champagne.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/11/21/nba-disappointments-rajon-rondo-pau-gasol-boris-diaw-evan-turner
The list Turner, Rondo, Pau, Boris, Al Jefferson, in that order. I only just found it and it's a little outdated, but no so much that narratives have changed a huge deal yet.

YGWHI
12-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Questions about San Antonio’s defense, however, have arrived right on schedule. Last season, the Spurs sent Duncan off with a once-a-decade level of defensive mastery. So far this season, they’ve slipped to 9th, with the 36-year-old Gasol dragging his team’s defensive rating down nearly seven points when he’s on the court. The Gasol/LaMarcus Aldridge pairing has posted a 106.6 defensive rating in 239 minutes together this season; by comparison, Duncan/Aldridge boasted a killer 95.4 defensive rating in 1,150 minutes last year. For comparison’s sake, Duncan/Aldridge’s rating is better than the NBA’s best overall defense this season, while Gasol/Aldridge ranks 22nd, behind the Rockets and barely better than the Sixers. Dewayne Dedmon has stepped up as a designated interior stopper, but A-list opponents like the Warriors and Clippers are likely to treat him as a non-threat. The 7-footer has also never appeared in a postseason game.Over the years, San Antonio has run a very narrow gamut from “They’re really good and will cream any team that doesn’t have their stuff together” to “They’re undeniable and will cream everyone, including LeBron James in his prime.” Now that the rush of their season-opening beatdown of Golden State has worn off, this year’s group looks more “very good” than “undeniable.” If the Gasol/Aldridge duo can’t play elite defensive together and if San Antonio’s other frontline options all require compromises, the endgame here probably doesn’t involve champagne.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/11/21/nba-disappointments-rajon-rondo-pau-gasol-boris-diaw-evan-turner
The list Turner, Rondo, Pau, Boris, Al Jefferson, in that order. I only just found it and it's a little outdated, but no so much that narratives have changed a huge deal yet.

Unlike Pop, I'm very willing to take the risk, make the change and see what happens. Start Dedmon or at least, play him considerably more than Gasol.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-13-2016, 10:27 AM
If the Gasol/Aldridge duo can’t play elite defensive together and if San Antonio’s other frontline options all require compromises, the endgame here probably doesn’t involve champagne.

LOL way to stick his neck out. :lol

NameLess Scrub
12-13-2016, 10:43 AM
I think it's worth trying LMa & Dedmon for some significant stretches.