PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades (11/5): Spurs vs Clippers (Game 7 of 82)

From Downtown
11-06-2016, 06:25 AM
First time doing grades for a basketball game, hope you enjoy them, and sorry for the typos

Patty Mills: D-
25 min - 4 pts - 5 ast - 3 reb - 1/7 FG - 0/3 3PT - 2 TO - +/- -25

Could have easily gotten a worse grade to ne honest, but at least he filled the statsheet and was one of the very few to play with energy.
Said that though his shot was not falling tonight and he rushed it quite a few times, he struggles running a coherent offense despite the 5 assists and covering Paul he obviously wasn't put in the position to succeed on defense, but that's no excuse to get stuck on a screen on every damn possession.

Nico Laprovittola: B+
21 min - 11 pts - 5 ast- 2 reb - 4/5 FG - 3/4 3PT - 2 TO - +/- -7

He was probably our best player tonight and it was nice to see his three ball finally falling.
He seems to be a good floor general, not great at anything in particular but can do it all.
On defense he tried to stay in front of his man and switched a bit less than the other guards, but he still needs to improve on that side.
In a couple of situations he also drove to the basket and then looked for the big man in the paint and not for guys standing on the perimeter, and that resulted in turnovers, that's another thing he needs to learn.

Kyle Anderson: D-
16 min - 0 pts - 2 ast- 2 reb - 0/0 FG - 1 stl - 0 TO - +/- +3

He was the best player on the roster in terms of plus/minus with +3, but that's basically the only thing he did all night.
He can cover the passing lanes pretty well but only got 1 steal and often left his man open on defense, while watching the other 4 play on offense.
I've got nothing against talent, I think he's a good talent and could have a nice carrer in the NBA as a role player or even as the leader of the bench, but he can't be THIS passive. He had 0 turnovers that's true, but he rarely ever touched the ball, he didn't even got a shot off and that hurts the spacing of the SL a lot.

Manu Ginobili: D-
12 min - 7 pts - 1 ast - 4 reb - 2/6 FG - 1/3 3PT - 2/2 FT - 1TO - +/- -16

He had a couple of nice plays in the first quarter when he hit a layup, then 2 free throws and a tough 3, but then it went downhill from there.
He tried to energize the team but ended up playing out of control and doing too much as it sometimes happens to him
Defensively he was bad, switched on every possession and just caused a lot of mismatches and misscomunication
At least he only played in the first half

Johnaton Simmons: D-
18 min - 6 pts - 2 ast - 4 reb - 3/6 FG - 2 stl - 0/1 3PT - 2 TO - +/- +1

I feel like he was much worse than the scoresheet would suggest, and he infact had the chance to pad his sstats a little bit in garbage time.
For the first 3 quarters he was a train-wreck out there, he often drove into traffic without looking for a teammate he could pass the ball to and turned it over or got blocked. His terrible handles were also on display.
He basically regressed to last year's Simmons for a night, let's hope it doesn't start a trend

Kawhi Leonard: D
27 min - 14 pts - 1 ast - 6 reb - 3/13 FG - 1 blk - 1 stl - 0/3 3PT - 8/8 FT - 2 TO - +/- -9

He was good at getting to the free throw line by pure force of will and he was one of the few who didn't get lost on defense, but when the team is down and he can't hit for shit he needs to learn how to get his teammates involved, that's the next step he has to make. He just wasn't looking to pass and that affected us because the Clippers realised it and he just wasn't making shots, even the ones he usually makes

LaMarcus Aldridge: C-
25 min - 19 pts - 0 ast - 6 reb - 7/13 FG - 1 blk - 3/3 3PT - 2/2 FT - 1 TO - +/- -22

He had huge responsabilities on that Clippers early run, Blake torched him and he looked totally uninterested on both ends of the floor.
That said when he started to get going in the 2nd and 3rd he was the only one trying to desperately keep us into the game, hence why he didn't get a lower grade.
It's also nice to see him hitting that 3 ball, we need that kind of spacing from him and Pau

Davis Bertans: D
16 min - 0 pts - 0 ast - 1 reb - 0/3 FG - 1 blk - 0/2 3PT - 1 TO - +/- 5

Pop surprisingly played him more than Lee, although some of his minutes came from garbage time
He seems to have gotten into a shooting slump, but I like the potential this kid has and shows
Apart from a few rookie mistakes he's better than I expected on defense, he has good athletism and a great timing on blocks
Offensively he knows how to move and get his shot off, even though he still neds to get completely integrated into the Spurs system, he's a nice screen-setter too
He didn't do much tonight, but I see fleshes of a really good player

David Lee: C+
14 min - 5 pts - 1 ast - 4 reb - 1/4 FG - 3/4 FT - +/- +2

Didn't get to play much, and we all know what we can and can't expect from him, but I felt like he often did the smart thing, that was rarely the case for the others yesterday

Pau Gasol: C-
20 min - 11 pts - 1 ast- 4 reb - 3/5 FG - 1 blk - 1/2 3PT - 4/6 FT - 2TO - +/- -12

He wasn't that bad on offense, he shot well, got to the FT line, tried to look for his teammates and didn't force much
His awful defense has to be taken into account though, Paul and Jordan toyed with him on the pick roll all game, and other guys also didn't find it hard to get to the basket

Dewayne Dedmon: C
18 min - 4 pts - 0 ast - 3 reb - 2/4 FG - 1 blk - 1 stl - 1 TO - +/- -17

Moved well offensively and made a couple of nice layups
On defense he's clearly the most mobile and athletic of our bigs, but he wasn't as effective on the boards or at blocking shots as in the previous game

Bender
11-06-2016, 07:21 AM
thanks for the write-up.

I agree that Simmons looked like last year Simmons.

Clippers are a better team by far at this point, at least the starters.

RD2191
11-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Can't blame kawhi for trying to make something happen when he's surrounded by shit.

jehawk81
11-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Can't blame kawhi for trying to make something happen when he's surrounded by shit.

Spurs win- Kawhi is carrying this team!
Spurs lose- Can't blame Kawhi

TheGreatYacht
11-06-2016, 10:33 AM

Kawhitstorm
11-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Spurs haven't won a game where Kawhi didn't have to takeover in the 3rd or 4th quarter. You can't blame him for yesterday's loss when Blake trucked Softridge 26-to-3 in the first half.:lol

Against Utah, Lyles burnt Softridge which was the difference in the game. If the rest of the team showed up & Kawhi wet the bed then you could have a point.

Nathan89
11-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Kawhi was tired of carrying these scrubs on offense and defense tbh

BD24
11-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Good write up mate. Will be nice to get Danny back. Hopefully he can hit 3s at a decent clip this year. His defense is sorely missed right now. That and the fact we don't have a starting caliber pg on the roster are killing us

SAGirl
11-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the grades! Good job. I agreed with everything pretty much. Kawhi needs to move the ball.. the attempts to draw fouls were a bit too much. It's a balance he needs to find between getting others involved and going to get his buckets. Specially if he's struggling, when others get going too it will be easier for him to get baskets as well.

A learning experience for him.

sasaint
11-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Kawhi was tired of carrying these scrubs on offense and defense tbh

He will be doing that most of the time until PATFO gets him some serious help, or I could see Kawhi getting pretty fed up with the team. Hopefully Danny is a much bigger difference-maker than than most expect. :wow

SAGirl
11-06-2016, 01:23 PM
He will be doing that most of the time until PATFO gets him some serious help, or I could see Kawhi getting pretty fed up with the team. Hopefully Danny is a much bigger difference-maker than than most expect. :wow

He needs to pass the ball... he has teammates that can make shots... The only one there you could theoretically say wouldn't make a shot is Kyle, I'll give you that if you want (though I disagree).

The other players in the SL with Kawhi are good enough scorers, and shooters. It's just a game he tried to do too much, and TBH, he does need to play with his teammates more, specially if things are not going his way. It's too easy to blame everyone else when he's not making good decisions. If you are a ballhog you get the glory if the team wins and should get some blame when you sink your own team.

He has gotten credit for taking over other games, but he can't play an entire game like that... IMO a learning experience.

But this is also true: against the elite, the team need an elite guard. If Tony played it wouldn't have been a different outcome and we saw that Manu was Turnobili, Manure, etc.

sasaint
11-06-2016, 01:34 PM
He needs to pass the ball... he has teammates that can make shots... The only one there you could theoretically say wouldn't make a shot is Kyle, I'll give you that if you want (though I disagree).

The other players in the SL with Kawhi are good enough scorers, and shooters. It's just a game he tried to do too much, and TBH, he does need to play with his teammates more, specially if things are not going his way. It's too easy to blame everyone else when he's not making good decisions. If you are a ballhog you get the glory if the team wins and should get some blame when you sink your own team.

He has gotten credit for taking over other games, but he can't play an entire game like that... IMO a learning experience.

But this is also true: against the elite, the team need an elite guard. If Tony played it wouldn't have been a different outcome and we saw that Manu was Turnobili, Manure, etc.

I pretty much agree with that. But there are more (and more serious) holes on this team than most of us perceived. Danny can't fill them all.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-06-2016, 01:34 PM

LongtimeSpursFan
11-06-2016, 01:36 PM

If we'd switch Lebron for Kawhi with this talented roster we'd be favored to win title

RD2191
11-06-2016, 01:38 PM
^yeah, if we played in the trash ass east

Robz4000
11-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the grades :tu

ceperez
11-06-2016, 01:58 PM
I can't figure out why every time we play the Clippers, they know how to force the Spurs to switch to create a mismatch.

Meanwhile, nobody in the Spurs seems to be able to create a switch or even gain an advantage over the guy guarding them.

Honestly, the offense sucks big time!

SAGirl
11-06-2016, 02:03 PM
I pretty much agree with that. But there are more (and more serious) holes on this team than most of us perceived. Danny can't fill them all.

Agree with that too. We shall see how they look when Danny comes back. He will help them by not passing up his open shots, but they have other issues beyond the 5th guy in their lineup.

dabom
11-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the grades! Good job. I agreed with everything pretty much. Kawhi needs to move the ball.. the attempts to draw fouls were a bit too much. It's a balance he needs to find between getting others involved and going to get his buckets. Specially if he's struggling, when others get going too it will be easier for him to get baskets as well.

A learning experience for him.

Turning into a beta bitch at first sign of missing shots. :lol
Still the best player in the NBA.

TheGreatYacht
11-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Turning into a beta bitch at first sign of missing shots. :lol
Still the best player in the NBA.
Lebron is no beta son

G-Dawgg
11-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Kawhi really IS starting to look like Kobe out there. Lmao...

SASdynasty!
11-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Parker - F-

0 pts, 0 ast and was non-existent on the court. Literally never passed the ball once and couldn't get to the rim at all.

Clipper Nation
11-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Porker: A+

He helped his team the only way he can - by faking an injury and sitting out.

r0drig0lac
11-06-2016, 05:04 PM
I can't figure out why every time we play the Clippers, they know how to force the Spurs to switch to create a mismatch.

Meanwhile, nobody in the Spurs seems to be able to create a switch or even gain an advantage over the guy guarding them.

Honestly, the offense sucks big time!

CP3

gambit1990
11-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Parker - F-

0 pts, 0 ast and was non-existent on the court. Literally never passed the ball once and couldn't get to the rim at all.
this could be a legit grade in the future.

parker went 0 for 6 against the kings. he didn't have 0 pts, 0 asts... he had 4 points and 2 assists in 25 minutes. not too far off.

YGWHI
11-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the grades! :tu

the attempts to draw fouls were a bit too much

Last season, most people said that he needed to draw fouls, to force things more...Now, he's doing it.

But even if Kawhi would have been super effecient yesterday, and keep his average-scoring, still the Spurs would have lost the game.

Kawhi/LMA offense can't hide Spurs' atrocious defense...

SAGirl
11-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the grades! :tu

Last season, most people said that he needed to draw fouls, to force things more...Now, he's doing it.

But even if Kawhi would have been super effecient yesterday, and keep his average-scoring, still the Spurs would have lost the game.

Kawhi/LMA offense can't hide Spurs' atrocious defense...
Agreed... and it's a learning process for him to be fair.

spurs10
11-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Thank you for the grades! Going to be a long time until Wednesday!

Hoops Czar
11-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Kyle Anderson: D-
16 min - 0 pts - 2 ast- 2 reb - 0/0 FG - 1 stl - 0 TO - +/- +3

He was the best player on the roster in terms of plus/minus with +3, but that's basically the only thing he did all night.
He can cover the passing lanes pretty well but only got 1 steal and often left his man open on defense, while watching the other 4 play on offense.
I've got nothing against talent, I think he's a good talent and could have a nice carrer in the NBA as a role player or even as the leader of the bench, but he can't be THIS passive. He had 0 turnovers that's true, but he rarely ever touched the ball, he didn't even got a shot off and that hurts the spacing of the SL a lot.

Why would anyone post such nonsense under Kyle's name? He has no talent. He is a scrub.

ElNono
11-06-2016, 10:41 PM
thanks op :tu

Fireball
11-07-2016, 03:55 AM
The Clips are really a handful for the Spurs ... CP3, Blake, Jordan and Reddick are a terror on offense and the 5th starter who is not good on offense has quite a good defensive grip on Kawhi it seems. Just a very bad matchup.

AaronY
11-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Simmons was hot garbage that game for sure..

Slippy
11-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Summed up well & accurate analysis. Agree on all your grades