PDA

View Full Version : Stein on the Spurs (ESPN.com link)

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
10-07-2005, 02:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp05/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2183701

I thought this was the most salient point:

"That translates to Popovich's knowing he'll "be checking minutes more than I've ever checked before." That could translate to Popovich's taking the bold step of, say, sitting Ginobili or Parker on the second night of a back-to-back, in the quest for long-term freshness."

An interesting point---remember all those OT games last March/April, when Parker had to play lots of minutes on back-to-back nights? How nice would it be to rest Parker and play NVE? Rest Manu and play Finley? I think Pop is going to have a lot of fun with his rotations this year....

ducks
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
manu had to sat on back to back games already
there is no need to do it to tp though

Spurminator
10-07-2005, 02:46 PM
There may be after the summer he's had.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-07-2005, 02:47 PM
manu had to sat on back to back games already
there is no need to do it to tp though
its not about needs ducks, its about what's better http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Kori Ellis
10-07-2005, 02:48 PM
The Spurs' depth (barring injuries) is going to be a huge luxury in keeping the starters rested for the playoffs. I'm very excited about this season.

ducks
10-07-2005, 02:49 PM
no manu needed to sit on back to back games last year because otherwise he would have had nothing left in the tank

he even said he was tired!

manu should only play 30 minutes a game
after that he is not effective and will have to sit on back to back games

MaNuMaNiAc
10-07-2005, 02:58 PM
no manu needed to sit on back to back games last year because otherwise he would have had nothing left in the tank

he even said he was tired!

manu should only play 30 minutes a game
after that he is not effective and will have to sit on back to back games
I'm talking about TP ducks, don't you think it would be better to have him rested for important games?? cool down on the Manu bashing, I wasn't talking about him

timvp
10-07-2005, 02:58 PM
If I'm Pop, I sit Manu for the entire month of March. Give him rest for April and the playoffs. At the same time, it gets Finley and Barry ready for the stretch run.

:smokin

Marcus Bryant
10-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Pray for health.

BigVee
10-07-2005, 03:08 PM
The Spurs' depth (barring injuries) is going to be a huge luxury in keeping the starters rested for the playoffs. I'm very excited about this season.

Absolutley. This is why I do not think the Spurs will necessarily have an extraordinary regular season record. The season will be more about getting the rotations set and having the guys fresh to kick ass come playoff time. Let the other teams wear themselves out getting to the playoffs and let this team bring in one rested player after another when it counts.

wildbill2u
10-07-2005, 03:38 PM
It was a mistake for Parker to play all summer in Europe because he is not a strong physical athlete. He will start to flame out by mid-season and will need fewer minutes.

ZStomp
10-07-2005, 03:59 PM
An interesting point---remember all those OT games last March/April, when Parker had to play lots of minutes on back-to-back nights? How nice would it be to rest Parker and play NVE? Rest Manu and play Finley? I think Pop is going to have a lot of fun with his rotations this year....

Lots of OT games? I only remember two...the back to back OT games. I think they only had one other OT game against PHX the whole year.

CosmicCowboy
10-07-2005, 04:00 PM
This team is good enough and deep enough that with some teams they could rest the whole starting 5 and still win...

tekdragon
10-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Pray for health.

The mantra for every team, every year.

Marcus Bryant
10-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Sure, but health for this team means another title.

Spuritista
10-07-2005, 06:48 PM
tp can play back to back games,if he brings his balls along.

ducks
10-07-2005, 08:23 PM
It was a mistake for Parker to play all summer in Europe because he is not a strong physical athlete. He will start to flame out by mid-season and will need fewer minutes.

was it a mistake for manu and duncan last year to then?

Sense
10-07-2005, 08:30 PM
This upcoming season will definately be fun.

smeagol
10-07-2005, 09:25 PM
was it a mistake for manu and duncan last year to then?
How could it be a mistake if we won the title? :rolleyes