PDA

View Full Version : Best Salsa?

DMC
11-07-2016, 10:24 PM
I tried the HEB brand of salsa recently, it was free with the purchase of something, not sure what. I was surprised that it was pretty good, not thin and watery like the stuff made in San Antonio by folks who know how to stretch a budget, but thick and chunky.

However, I usually make my own salsa and it's my favorite.

Any personal favorites, non home made salsas?

benefactor
11-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Don't know if this would actually qualify as salsa, but this stuff is the fucking shit:

http://www.herdeztraditions.com/wp-content/uploads/guacamoleSalsa_176x338.png

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 09:56 AM
All of them get old after a while so I try to switch it up. I like Mrs. Renfro's, Hell on the Red, and Albert's. But what I hate is that they jars are so small that they're only good for one or two times.
I'll get Pace pretty often because I can buy a bigger jar.

But like you said, nothing compares to homemade.

mrsmaalox
11-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Thin and watery doesn't have anything to do with stretching the budget, it's a common style of salsa lol. If you get HEB salsa, skip the jarred stuff and go to the produce dept for the fresh refrigerated; they have thin or chunky and pico de gallo of varying heat. HEB used to carry a brand called El Pinto, from a restaurant in Albuquerque (their food sucks btw) that is excellent but they don't have it all the time anymore. If I use jarred salsa it's pretty much exclusively Herdez, all the others are too sweet for my taste.

DarrinS
11-08-2016, 10:51 AM
HEB salsas are pretty decent.

I also dislike watery salsa. Use a fork when putting on your tacos and you won't have a lake on your plate.

baseline bum
11-08-2016, 11:54 AM
I like El Yucateco green on chicken and pork.

http://www.heavenlyheathotsauce.com/2/HH213.jpg

It's a thin sauce though. I'm pretty sure most people don't want to bite into big chunks of habaneros.

baseline bum
11-08-2016, 11:59 AM
But mostly I just make my own, with my favorites being
arbol + tomatillo + pequin + garlic
tomatillo + serrano + white onion + garlic + chicken stock
jalapeno + garlic + olive oil + cilantro + lime juice
habanoro + red onion + cilantro + tomato + orange juice + lime juice

clambake
11-08-2016, 12:09 PM
you got any measurements on this shit, asshole?

what, are we fucking mind readers?

if i had my mossberg.........

baseline bum
11-08-2016, 12:31 PM
you got any measurements on this shit, asshole?

what, are we fucking mind readers?

if i had my mossberg.........

First one should have enough chiles so it's still brown/red or the tomatillos will overpower the salsa. Make sure to toast everything too. The tomatillos should have enough liquid in them that you don't need to add water when blending. I strain it to get the arbol skins out after blending, those are really tough. The second is easy, toast everything and add chicken stock to get the consistency you like. I like to blend it to be pretty chunky. The third you add olive oil slowly while blending until it's really creamy. The fourth is just a raw salsa, like a pico de gallo except replacing the lime juice with both lime and orange juice. The count of habaneros is dependent on how much heat you like.

clambake
11-08-2016, 12:33 PM
how much heat do i like?

you're not helping

baseline bum
11-08-2016, 12:35 PM
how much heat do i like?

you're not helping

OK, put a shitload of chiles.

clambake
11-08-2016, 12:43 PM
whats an arbol?

baseline bum
11-08-2016, 12:53 PM
whats an arbol?

http://i.imgur.com/SJGv6kT.jpg

DJR210
11-08-2016, 01:22 PM
If it's out of the national brands I think the garlic lime On The Border one tastes pretty fucking good.. As for H-E-B, we always try their products to save a few cents but god damn the majority of their food items taste like ass.. That Green Sauce was fucking horrid, fuck that Green Sauce, Tony Parker, and Danny Green for even acknowledging that shit existed

DJR210
11-08-2016, 01:24 PM
ITT baseline bum shows his deep authentic mexican roots but iirc he was some white hiker dude

baseline bum
11-08-2016, 01:34 PM
ITT baseline bum shows his deep authentic mexican roots but iirc he was some white hiker dude

I'm jap too tbh

Spur|n|Austin
11-08-2016, 02:18 PM
A friend of mine recently started his own salsa brand. He had been making this recipe for years until finally moving forward with bottling it. I suggest giving it a try. I think you can only order it or buy it at Bucee's but I will say it's damn good.

http://crenshawsc6salsa.com/index.html

SnakeBoy
11-08-2016, 03:00 PM

#2 sounds good

I normally just do
serrano + tomato + onion + garlic + cilantro, bake until it's looking nice and charred then blend and salt to taste

I. Hustle
11-08-2016, 04:18 PM
#2 sounds good

I normally just do
serrano + tomato + onion + garlic + cilantro, bake until it's looking nice and charred then blend and salt to taste

I do the same. I have been putting together a pepper garden to grow my own. It's still in the beginning stages but I do have a large pequin plant already and have been wanting to make a salsa with them. I like to mix serranos and jalapenos in my salsa though.

SnakeBoy
11-08-2016, 04:27 PM
I do the same. I have been putting together a pepper garden to grow my own. It's still in the beginning stages but I do have a large pequin plant already and have been wanting to make a salsa with them. I like to mix serranos and jalapenos in my salsa though.

Maybe I'll try that. I like jalapenos better but quit using them because I kept getting ones that had zero heat.

I'm filling in a 25000 gallon inground pool that will hopefully be a great pepper garden+ by next spring. Just need to move about 80 more yards of soil...one wheelbarrow at a time <sigh>

baseline bum
11-08-2016, 04:48 PM
#2 sounds good

I normally just do

It's a pretty standard Tex-Mex salsa verde. The more Mexican version doesn't use the chicken stock, but I think the tomatillos dominate the flavor too much without the stock and it's the only way I have been able to approximate San Antonio green sauce. I also like to use a similar recipe for chile verde with pork butt and potatoes, though I add some charred poblano also.

clambake
11-08-2016, 05:38 PM
getting hungry

I. Hustle
11-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Maybe I'll try that. I like jalapenos better but quit using them because I kept getting ones that had zero heat.

I'm filling in a 25000 gallon inground pool that will hopefully be a great pepper garden+ by next spring. Just need to move about 80 more yards of soil...one wheelbarrow at a time <sigh>

I like the flavors of the jalapenos but I had the same issue as you which is why I incorporated the serranos. I just scaled the jalapenos back a bit to add the serranos.

I'm prepping my garden area now too. I'm looking to be ready to go in the spring as well. Nothing big but I do love me some peppers.

I. Hustle
11-08-2016, 06:01 PM
getting hungry

Bend over I'll show you hungry.

Wait... does it still work that way?

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Bend over I'll show you hungry.

Wait... does it still work that way?

Bend over, I'll fucking show you how it works.

clambake
11-08-2016, 06:03 PM
lol

I. Hustle
11-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Bend over, I'll fucking show you how it works.

Bend over... uummm I'll show you how to show me how it works

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Bend over... uummm I'll show you how to show me how it works

No. Here's one to practice with.

I like my salsa hot and chunky.

I. Hustle
11-08-2016, 06:09 PM
No. Here's one to practice with.

I like my salsa hot and chunky.

Bend over, I'll show you how to like salsa

yes?

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Bend over, I'll show you how to like salsa

yes?

It would be acceptable. Just not the best choice.

Let's start simple. See next post

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Sloppy

I. Hustle
11-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Sloppy

Bend over, I'll clean it up.

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:18 PM

Sigh. First of all, you have to use the word, "fucking" or to stay true to the original, "fuckin". But I'm not sure you get the concept. Keep at it though. If I've learned anything at Spurstalk, its quantity...not quality.

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:21 PM

Let's try another way. Give me a sentence about what you think about something.

I. Hustle
11-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Sigh. First of all, you have to use the word, "fucking" or to stay true to the original, "fuckin". But I'm not sure you get the concept. Keep at it though. If I've learned anything at Spurstalk, its quantity...not quality.

Bend over, I'll fuggin show you quantity and quality

I. Hustle
11-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Let's try another way. Give me a sentence about what you think about something.

Sometimes, when I'm sitting at my desk, I like to think about ways to get my work done quicker and more efficiently in order to get out of here since it doesn't matter how many hours I put in as long as I get all my work done.

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Bend over, I'll fuggin show you quantity and quality

Good. But with a long post, I'll often look for the unexpected. Bend over, I'll fuckin show you the concept.

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Sometimes, when I'm sitting at my desk, I like to think about ways to get my work done quicker and more efficiently in order to get out of here since it doesn't matter how many hours I put in as long as I get all my work done.

Bend over, I'll fucking wreck you anus.

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 06:26 PM

Btw...where's the damn schematic you promised??? Regarding the magnetic basketball rim. It's been like half a year.

clambake
11-08-2016, 06:43 PM

lefty20
11-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Dos Reales in Champaign, IL. GOAT Salsa, tbh.

DMC
11-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Thin and watery doesn't have anything to do with stretching the budget, it's a common style of salsa lol. If you get HEB salsa, skip the jarred stuff and go to the produce dept for the fresh refrigerated; they have thin or chunky and pico de gallo of varying heat. HEB used to carry a brand called El Pinto, from a restaurant in Albuquerque (their food sucks btw) that is excellent but they don't have it all the time anymore. If I use jarred salsa it's pretty much exclusively Herdez, all the others are too sweet for my taste.

Pace used to be thicker. I realize thin picante is a style, but Pace is just cheaping out. It's not like they cut the veggies finer, they just use tomato sauce and basically removed half the veggies.

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Pace used to be thicker. I realize thin picante is a style, but Pace is just cheaping out. It's not like they cut the veggies finer, they just use tomato sauce and basically removed half the veggies.

Lol. No it didn't. Pace is the same as it was 20 years ago. They later came out with a thick and chunky. But the regular Pace is pretty much the same as I've always remembered. Unless you're going back farther than that.

DMC
11-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Lol. No it didn't. Pace is the same as it was 20 years ago. They later came out with a thick and chunky. But the regular Pace is pretty much the same as I've always remembered. Unless you're going back farther than that.

No it changed just a few years ago. As someone who bought by the half gallon (or however big that large one is) I know it very well. the HEB on Blanco and West Avenue was the first in the region to carry the large size because I personally ordered it and they'd get one in for me, then eventually they ordered a few at a time. This was back in 1990. That was around the time they introduced the Thick and Chunky as well.

https://pace-foods.pissedconsumer.com/

These folks agree. I searched "Pace changed recipe" and this is what I found.

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 09:12 PM
No it changed just a few years ago. As someone who bought by the half gallon (or however big that large one is) I know it very well. the HEB on Blanco and West Avenue was the first in the region to carry the large size because I personally ordered it and they'd get one in for me, then eventually they ordered a few at a time. This was back in 1990. That was around the time they introduced the Thick and Chunky as well.

https://pace-foods.pissedconsumer.com/

These folks agree. I searched "Pace changed recipe" and this is what I found.

Idk. Maybe it settles differently when the put together the half gallon. Or maybe you're not shaking it up. Or maybe, they specifically fuck the people buying the economy size. But in the jars, it hasn't changed noticeably.

DMC
11-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Idk. Maybe it settles differently when the put together the half gallon. Or maybe you're not shaking it up. Or maybe, they specifically fuck the people buying the economy size. But in the jars, it hasn't changed noticeably.

Maybe Martians came down and stole the veggies from the ones they knew I was going to buy, and some other people happened to buy them instead. Or Maybe a salsa monster ate it. Or maybe grits take longer to cook on my stove than any other stove in the world.

SpursforSix
11-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Maybe Martians came down and stole the veggies from the ones they knew I was going to buy, and some other people happened to buy them instead. Or Maybe a salsa monster ate it. Or maybe grits take longer to cook on my stove than any other stove in the world.

Seriously...the veggies settle. So if you're just pouring from the top of the...HALF GALLON CONTAINER...you're probably going to get mostly liquid.

I. Hustle
11-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Btw...where's the damn schematic you promised??? Regarding the magnetic basketball rim. It's been like half a year.

You think this shit is easy? This has taken quite a bit of time, effort and money. I've started a gofund account just to stay afloat.
Since starting this project, I've spent MILLIONS, lost my vacation home in Panama, my marriage is in shambles, I was unable to afford my yearly Bunny Ranch trip, I've lost 63 pounds and I might have even become lactose tolerant.

I've poured my heart and soul into this project and I take offense to how lightly you are taking this. You make it seem as if it's as simple as asking my wife to try anal.

SpursforSix
11-09-2016, 10:34 AM
You think this shit is easy? This has taken quite a bit of time, effort and money. I've started a gofund account just to stay afloat.
Since starting this project, I've spent MILLIONS, lost my vacation home in Panama, my marriage is in shambles, I was unable to afford my yearly Bunny Ranch trip, I've lost 63 pounds and I might have even become lactose tolerant.

I've poured my heart and soul into this project and I take offense to how lightly you are taking this. You make it seem as if it's as simple as asking my wife to try anal.

Oh...I don't take it lightly. On the contrary, I think your time and effort will be rewarded. Honestly, I didn't realize you had poured so much into it. I was just trying to prod you along. Had no idea where you were at on the project.
My apologies if I offended. It certainly wasn't the intent.

I. Hustle
11-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Oh...I don't take it lightly. On the contrary, I think your time and effort will be rewarded. Honestly, I didn't realize you had poured so much into it. I was just trying to prod you along. Had no idea where you were at on the project.
My apologies if I offended. It certainly wasn't the intent.

You don't understand the stress of it all. If you did, you wouldn't be "prodding" me along. Two of my employees have already died while testing out the product and another has a boner that won't go away. Do you realize how painful that is for him?

We had no idea the side effects all our research would cause.

SpursforSix
11-09-2016, 02:15 PM
You don't understand the stress of it all. If you did, you wouldn't be "prodding" me along. Two of my employees have already died while testing out the product and another has a boner that won't go away. Do you realize how painful that is for him?

We had no idea the side effects all our research would cause.

I think you're trolling now. So you've got employees and testing shit out but no schematic?

DMC
11-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Seriously...the veggies settle. So if you're just pouring from the top of the...HALF GALLON CONTAINER...you're probably going to get mostly liquid.

Seriously, do you think I don't know that after buying it for almost 30 years?

SpursforSix
11-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Seriously, do you think I don't know that after buying it for almost 30 years?

Idk. Maybe you've gotten old and weak and can't shake the container up properly. Or maybe you have dementia and just think you've shook it up when you haven't.

DMC
11-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Idk. Maybe you've gotten old and weak and can't shake the container up properly. Or maybe you have dementia and just think you've shook it up when you haven't.

That must be it. It must be an outbreak of weakness in jar and bottle shaking.