PDA

View Full Version : Trey Gowdy

DMC
11-07-2016, 10:41 PM
I know this is going to go down party lines pretty cleanly, however what do folks here think about this guy? He seems pretty sharp. Of course he's a local "knowledge" lawyer type who might not know a lot about the rest of the world outside of his role with congress and his prior stints, but does anyone here see this guy moving up the food chain pretty quick or does his Tea Party ties (I've read he is affiliated with them) cast a negative shadow on him with the rest of the nation?

DarrinS
11-07-2016, 10:56 PM
White straight male

3 strikes, tbh

boutons_deux
11-07-2016, 11:04 PM
...It's important to note that Gowdy maintains his own domain treygowdy.com.

For example, one campaign contact email he used was treygowdy.com ([email protected]). While it's not unusual to maintain such a thing particularly for campaign work, it's not clear that Gowdy utilizes this email solely for political campaign work and not congressional tasks.

AlterNet asked Gowdy's office through both a telephone inquiry followed up by an email communication to his press secretary about how he segregates work he conducts through his personal domain vs congressional work.

We also inquired about where his personal email server is stored and how it is secured.

We also attempted to contact Gowdy campaign manager George Ramsey, but he did not return our phone calls.

In 48 hours, the deadline we set, we received no response.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/7/8/1546465/-Benghazi-headhunter-Trey-Gowdy-and-the-GOP-are-being-called-out-for-improper-email-use

If Gowdy were a Dem, the Repugs would be all over his Confederate ass for all his private server emails.

Splits
11-07-2016, 11:11 PM
White straight male

huh?

https://media.salon.com/2015/10/trey-gowdy.jpg

Th'Pusher
11-07-2016, 11:47 PM
I know this is going to go down party lines pretty cleanly, however what do folks here think about this guy? He seems pretty sharp. Of course he's a local "knowledge" lawyer type who might not know a lot about the rest of the world outside of his role with congress and his prior stints, but does anyone here see this guy moving up the food chain pretty quick or does his Tea Party ties (I've read he is affiliated with them) cast a negative shadow on him with the rest of the nation?

What specifically makes You think Trey Gowdy is pretty sharp?

SnakeBoy
11-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Don't really know anything about him except he seems like a guy I wouldn't want gunning for me in a courtroom.

SnakeBoy
11-07-2016, 11:50 PM

For example, one campaign contact email he used was treygowdy.com ([email protected]). While it's not unusual to maintain such a thing particularly for campaign work, it's not clear that Gowdy utilizes this email solely for political campaign work and not congressional tasks.

AlterNet asked Gowdy's office through both a telephone inquiry followed up by an email communication to his press secretary about how he segregates work he conducts through his personal domain vs congressional work.

We also inquired about where his personal email server is stored and how it is secured.

We also attempted to contact Gowdy campaign manager George Ramsey, but he did not return our phone calls.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/7/8/1546465/-Benghazi-headhunter-Trey-Gowdy-and-the-GOP-are-being-called-out-for-improper-email-use

If Gowdy were a Dem, the Repugs would be all over his Confederate ass for all his private server emails.

lol DailyKos

monosylab1k
11-07-2016, 11:58 PM
White straight male

3 strikes, tbh

Sure about the straight part? Dude looks like he shares a stylist with Anderson Cooper tbh

monosylab1k
11-07-2016, 11:59 PM
huh?

https://media.salon.com/2015/10/trey-gowdy.jpg

:lmao

Reck
11-07-2016, 11:59 PM
Dumb gay hick.

Reck
11-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Sure about the straight part? Dude looks like he shares a stylist with Anderson Cooper tbh

:lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K1dmPdeVGQ

ElNono
11-08-2016, 12:33 AM

Haven't seen him much, but the little I saw, I thought he was unauthentic, holier-than-thou, sleazeball, and probably a closeted homosexual, tbh... Not that there's anything wrong with the latter.

Kinda like Ted Cruz before he sold himself to the Donald...

DMC
11-08-2016, 10:50 AM
What specifically makes You think Trey Gowdy is pretty sharp?

He doesn't let much get past him. He's a legal expert, pretty good with deductive reasoning and critical thinking. I've watched some of his stuff in congress and he's not pushed around very easily by anyone. Plus he's a Baylor grad. I happen to think Obama is pretty sharp as well.

boutons_deux
11-08-2016, 11:03 AM
He doesn't let much get past him. He's a legal expert, pretty good with deductive reasoning and critical thinking. I've watched some of his stuff in congress and he's not pushed around very easily by anyone. Plus he's a Baylor grad. I happen to think Obama is pretty sharp as well.

Gowdy slimed himself by running the E I G H T H Benghazi witch hunt.

Of course, his great legal mind found NOTHING

Now he's elevated himself from obscurity as yet another dumbfuck slave state racist Representative to a Repug slimey celeb

And of course: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/280753-gowdy-i-endorse-trump

Benghazi! :lol

FromWayDowntown
11-08-2016, 11:12 AM
I think there comes a point in time in which the endless calls for investigations and "oversight" that is driven largely by political animus rather than actual facts, becomes wearying on the broadest portion of our electorate.

There is a right-ist base that will be happy with every single effort to forestall Democratic programs and to keep Democrats under the microscope for perceived failings. There is a leftist base that will be happy with the same over-scrutiny of Republicans. There is a very large middle, though, that wants these guys to stop playing politics with everything and to find ways to actually govern, rather than playing political gotcha at every turn.

If Gowdy wants to hang his hat on being the guy who just relentlessly uses taxpayer money to investigate and investigate and investigate, he'll find support within the GOP's dwindling base, but I don't think he'll ever find a real footing in national electoral politics. (and he may not want that).

CosmicCowboy
11-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Typical boukaki and dailykos drivel...

Having a xxxxxxxxxx.com email address doesn't mean you have a private server in your bathroom. My .com addy is hosted in Utah with excellent security.

DMC
11-08-2016, 11:51 AM
I think there comes a point in time in which the endless calls for investigations and "oversight" that is driven largely by political animus rather than actual facts, becomes wearying on the broadest portion of our electorate.

There is a right-ist base that will be happy with every single effort to forestall Democratic programs and to keep Democrats under the microscope for perceived failings. There is a leftist base that will be happy with the same over-scrutiny of Republicans. There is a very large middle, though, that wants these guys to stop playing politics with everything and to find ways to actually govern, rather than playing political gotcha at every turn.

If Gowdy wants to hang his hat on being the guy who just relentlessly uses taxpayer money to investigate and investigate and investigate, he'll find support within the GOP's dwindling base, but I don't think he'll ever find a real footing in national electoral politics. (and he may not want that).

Leaders need to know they will be brought to task over things like Benghazi. The issue is always that the government is policing itself under the guise of a bi-party system where one side is out to get the other. It serves to fool the people into believing the checks and balances system works when in reality it's very rare anyone gets penalized for anything regardless of the findings. You'd have to have cash in your freezer to get busted.

So I am not against the inquiries, and it's disheartening that the DOJ and FBI are also full of partisan driven decisions and that they are at odds with congress over things. The entire "keep my job" idea from all sides is problematic. The alternative is a lazy government (even more so than now) however.

As someone said, the office of citizen is the most important in the nation, but it doesn't feel that way.

boutons_deux
11-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Typical boukaki and dailykos drivel...

Having a xxxxxxxxxx.com email address doesn't mean you have a private server in your bathroom. My .com addy is hosted in Utah with excellent security.

it doesn't matter where the server is (a total bullshit rightwingnutjob red herring), all that matters is whether a govt official conducted official business on non-govt channels.

CosmicCowboy
11-08-2016, 11:57 AM
it doesn't matter where the server is (a total bullshit rightwingnutjob red herring), all that matters is whether a govt official conducted official business on non-govt channels.

There was zero evidence in the story that Gowdy conducted government business on a non-government channel.

Warlord23
11-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Gowdy is another of those smart GOP guys held hostage by the dumb base. These guys privately want a policy-based dialogue across the aisle and the ability to compromise. For example, they would love to pursue the grand bargain of tax increases and entitlement reform to reduce the deficit, pass immigration reform, maybe even take a shot at background checks for gun sales.

However the House Freedom Caucus aided by the conservative entertainment complex (Fox, Rush, Breitbart, Levin and soon Trump's media outfit) keeps the base riled up against any RINO who would want to compromise with the America-hating, Communist, godless, baby-killing scum known as the Democratic party. So Gowdy, Ryan, McCarthy etc are left wasting their time on repealing the ACA for the 70th time, convening year-long Benghazi hearings, and obstructing everything else.

boutons_deux
11-08-2016, 12:29 PM
There was zero evidence in the story that Gowdy conducted government business on a non-government channel.

in the story? so we have full access to all of Gowdy's traffic through his private email server?

DMC
11-08-2016, 01:04 PM
Gowdy is another of those smart GOP guys held hostage by the dumb base. These guys privately want a policy-based dialogue across the aisle and the ability to compromise. For example, they would love to pursue the grand bargain of tax increases and entitlement reform to reduce the deficit, pass immigration reform, maybe even take a shot at background checks for gun sales.

However the House Freedom Caucus aided by the conservative entertainment complex (Fox, Rush, Breitbart, Levin and soon Trump's media outfit) keeps the base riled up against any RINO who would want to compromise with the America-hating, Communist, godless, baby-killing scum known as the Democratic party. So Gowdy, Ryan, McCarthy etc are left wasting their time on repealing the ACA for the 70th time, convening year-long Benghazi hearings, and obstructing everything else.

Who do you consider the smart GOP guys?

DMC
11-08-2016, 01:05 PM
in the story? so we have full access to all of Gowdy's traffic through his private email server?

Well no, he wasn't hacked by Russia. He's also not the Sec of State.

DMC
11-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Also, isn't it intentionally misleading to suggest equivocation between Sec of State conducting official business on an unsecured home server and any government employee having any outside email account? Would it be prudent for Gowdy to conduct personal business like self promotion for re-election through a government server?