PDA

View Full Version : spiderman(FORMER SPUR) gets second chance at nba

ducks
10-07-2005, 03:23 PM
McMINNVILLE -- The player most excited to be at Trail Blazers camp might be Charles Smith, a 6-foot-4 guard who signed with the team as a free agent.

Smith, 30, played in Europe the last two years

"Definitely great to be back in the States," Smith said. "There ain't nothing like home. It was a great experience over there. Learned a lot, saw a lot of different cultures, but there's nothing like home."

The Miami Heat selected Smith out of New Mexico with the 26th pick of the 1997 draft, then traded him midseason to the Los Angeles Clippers. After two seasons with the Clippers, he played in the Continental Basketball Association for a season, then in Europe for two seasons. He signed as a free agent with San Antonio and played 60 games in the 2001-02 season, when the Spurs reached the Western Conference finals.

He was traded to the Blazers in the offseason but played three games for Portland in 2002-03 because of a left hip injury. At the time, the injury was thought to be possibly degenerative, and he spent most of the year on the injured reserve list.

"They thought my career might be over, but it turned out it was nothing," said Smith, who said rest healed the injury.

Smith became a free agent and ended up back in Europe. He led the All-Euroleague in scoring with a 22.3 average and caught the eye of scouts.

"I just wanted to put myself back on the map," Smith said. "I told myself, if it's meant for me to get back in (to the NBA), I'll get back in. But I'm not going to pressure myself. I just really relaxed and enjoyed playing over there."

The Blazers signed Smith to a guaranteed contract, giving him what he hopes will be a chance to stick in the league.

Blazers coach Nate McMillan, who did not play a role in signing Smith, said he has liked what he was seen in Smith.

"He has some experience, he's been in the league, and he shoots the ball well, and we needed perimeter shooting," McMillan said. "He's looked pretty good in camp."

Live, some color: The evening practice Wednesday featured the camp's first five-on-five play as McMillan had three five-player squads run offense and defense against one another.

"It wasn't bad," McMillan said. "We've got some work to do, but it wasn't a bad practice."

At one point, McMillan launched into a profanity-laced tirade when he was unhappy with players going into their own moves and not running the offense.

"I didn't like some of the things we were doing, and I guess you can expect that this time of year," McMillan said.

Linfield showcase: The team will open its evening practice Friday and allow Linfield students to attend, although they will need tickets to enter. Free tickets have been available on campus this week.

The practice, which starts at 6 p.m., is expected to include live scrimmaging. Practices at Linfield have been closed to the public.

Fans can get their first look at McMillan's team Sunday during a fan festival at the Rose Garden starting at 3 p.m. That session will include a scrimmage.

Europe bound: Assistant coach Maurice Lucas said his son, David, formerly a star forward at Oregon State, probably will play in Europe. Maurice Lucas said David was expecting to hear this week where he will play.

Summers
10-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I thought this was going to be about Rodman.