PDA

View Full Version : Anderson & Bertans

MaNu4Tres
11-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Can they play anymore scared and passive?

Bertans has looked like a deer in headlights past 3-4 games.

dabom
11-10-2016, 01:02 AM
Bertans has looked like shit. Growing pains. I called this before the season. I don't mind losing points/games with Bertans knowing full well what Fathead brings to the Playoffs.

apalisoc_9
11-10-2016, 01:04 AM
Im really surprised with Bertans passivness..In the Pre-Season, He looked like a Ryan Anderson...just let it fly. Now, he passes up wide open shots.

Also, why isnt dedmon playing more when our bigs have been killing our defense?

SAGirl
11-10-2016, 01:25 AM
I don't know what Pop has to do, but I have thought they need to be fed the ball early at the 3 pt line, call a play early in the game when you don't care if they miss, but they both need shots early.

The reason? It looks like Pau can't stay on the floor. His bad defense far outweighs what he does offensively bc he's not getting enough touches or use to justify that. He can't play against the small teams and the 2 big teams like the Clippers dominate him.. He's been awful, I can't stress that enough. It's been pathetic.

These two are a rookie and a guy who has lacked aggression so far. So you have to feed them some shots early. I'd send Kyle to the dleague with the intention of jacking up the 3... I would have thought if that's what Pop needed from him its what we would have seen in preseason but he barely played the 4 spot in preseason and he wasn't under pressure to Jack up the 3, so we have to question Pop to a degree.

The issues with Dedmon fouling or the lack of spacing complicates matters. Dedmon got benched in this game.

Kawhi needs to pass more too. You won't get a rhythm if you are only getting 0 to 2 shots per game and then they need buckets from you in the 4th Q. They will both have to grow up through the season.

MaNu4Tres
11-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Dedmon only played 4 minutes because Pop thought Lee matched up well vs Nene plus Lee found a nice little offensive jolt there in the 2nd.

Dedmon should have played more

timtonymanu
11-10-2016, 01:33 AM
Hopefully Bertans can figure it out. Dude looked like a free agent steal in the preseason. I hope that injury he just had isn't a major problem.

DPG21920
11-10-2016, 01:56 AM
Remember when I said up's and down's for the bench/new guys?

MaNu4Tres
11-10-2016, 02:06 AM
Remember when I said up's and down's for the bench/new guys?

Remember when I said, every season has ups and downs. Spurs have injected the roster with new playere before.

Theyve had injuries first 8 games, so theyve had to go deeper in rotation.

When everyone is healthy, top 10 will play in close competitive games.

Guys 11-15 have a smaller/ insignificant role.

Kawhitstorm
11-10-2016, 03:20 AM
Can they play anymore sca:lolred and passive?

Bertans has looked like a deer in headlights past 3-4 games.

Dude has been 2005 Finals Beno status.

DPG21920
11-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Remember when I said, every season has ups and downs. Spurs have injected the roster with new playere before.

Theyve had injuries first 8 games, so theyve had to go deeper in rotation.

When everyone is healthy, top 10 will play in close competitive games.

Guys 11-15 have a smaller/ insignificant role.

Sure - but again, things like TP getting hurt and Manu looking slower aren't totally unexpected. I remember us talking about TP health and Manu etc..

I agree, there have been more guy playing but this year is way more extreme than any other time of injection that I can remember. Especially with no prime Tim to anchor.

MaNu4Tres
11-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Sure - but again, things like TP getting hurt and Manu looking slower aren't totally unexpected. I remember us talking about TP health and Manu etc..

I agree, there have been more guy playing but this year is way more extreme than any other time of injection that I can remember. Especially with no prime Tim to anchor.

Yeah and I don't think anyone anticipated Parker and Manu falling off a cliff.

Not to mention, Aldridge and Gasol regressing even further than where they were at before ( even though I kind of knew Gasol would be a terrible fit because his value is tied to usage on O and he wasn't going to get usage w/ LA and Kawhi). The thing with Gasol is even if he did get his usage, he's not even that valuable with it anymore. Terrible signing -- preferred Harkless for less and having room to sign another big or trading for a big that was expendable ( Bulls were willing to unload Taj).

cd98
11-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Betrans has an excuse (he's a rookie in the NBA), Anderson does not.

bklynspursfan
11-10-2016, 11:34 AM
It can't be on Pop to get these guys going. They're NBA players... They have the ball in their hands, sometimes with space to shoot the ball, or make something happen, and they don't.

We've seen in garbage time Bertans let the ball fly without hesitation, but in a closer more competitive game, he seems passive. That stuff can't be on Pop, they've gotta believe in themselves and make quick decisions. That's internal/mental stuff at that point imo. Lapro is also new, and maybe he's a bit more confident in himself, but he seems to take shots when he has space . He can get himself into trouble with his drives and leaving his feet, but he does seem to has some confidence in his game.

Anderson didn't play much last night, but he had the ball a few times too with space to operate, and chose to dribble and pass too. I wouldn't mind seeing him operate in the post too if he's got the height advantage.

apalisoc_9
11-10-2016, 11:56 AM
Betrans has an excuse (he's a rookie in the NBA), Anderson does not.

Really hoping Anderson gets traded before the deadline. Hopefukly they ship hiss ass somehwhere in Arizona along with Aldridge for someone like Bledsoe.

Chinook
11-10-2016, 11:56 AM
It can't be on Pop to get these guys going. They're NBA players...

And he's an NBA coach. He gets paid like $7 Million a year to have his team ready to go. It's never going to not be on him if he trots out guys who are consistently not ready to go, even if you want to say that the bulk of the fault lies with the players themselves. The that same vein, it's his fault if the team keep playing bad defense, even if it's the players who aren't executing. He's there to make the collection of players work.

But yeah, the players should be motivated on their own. No argument there.

sasaint
11-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Yeah and I don't think anyone anticipated Parker and Manu falling off a cliff.

Not to mention, Aldridge and Gasol regressing even further than where they were at before ( even though I kind of knew Gasol would be a terrible fit because his value is tied to usage on O and he wasn't going to get usage w/ LA and Kawhi). The thing with Gasol is even if he did get his usage, he's not even that valuable with it anymore. Terrible signing -- preferred Harkless for less and having room to sign another big or trading for a big that was expendable ( Bulls were willing to unload Taj).

:tu Good example of what easily could have been.

bklynspursfan
11-10-2016, 12:19 PM
And he's an NBA coach. He gets paid like $7 Million a year to have his team ready to go. It's never going to not be on him if he trots out guys who are consistently not ready to go, even if you want to say that the bulk of the fault lies with the players themselves. The that same vein, it's his fault if the team keep playing bad defense, even if it's the players who aren't executing. He's there to make the collection of players work.

You don't think Pop motivates during practices or his staff does behind the scenes?

Being ready to go is 1 thing. Thats like not hustling and not following the game plan. But passing up shots? That's not on Pop. He said he wants guys to shoot the ball when they're open. That's a mental thing with these guys. Pop would rather they shoot and miss than not shoot

Chinook
11-10-2016, 12:23 PM
You don't think Pop motivates during practices or his staff does behind the scenes?

Being ready to go is 1 thing. Thats like not hustling and not following the game plan. But passing up shots? That's not on Pop. He said he wants guys to shoot the ball when they're open. That's a mental thing with these guys. Pop would rather they shoot and miss than not shoot

The coach is always responsible ultimately for the performance of his team, especially of his role-players. That doesn't absolve players from personal responsibility. But a coach of a team with 15 guys scared to shoot is going to get fired.

bklynspursfan
11-10-2016, 12:51 PM
The coach is always responsible ultimately for the performance of his team, especially of his role-players. That doesn't absolve players from personal responsibility. But a coach of a team with 15 guys scared to shoot is going to get fired.

Absolutely.. but it's not 15 guys. And it's not even just scared to shoot, it's hesitant and indecisive with the ball too. It's several things.

coachmac87
11-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Absolutely.. but it's not 15 guys. And it's not even just scared to shoot, it's hesitant and indecisive with the ball too. It's several things.

Well Pop is known for having a short leash...especially with rookies. To me as someone who's been around a lot of basketball that doesn't give players confidence. Especially referring to the players in the thread title...neither have really established themselves in the league. If you are not confident it's hard to succeed in sports. Period.

I think it's inexcusable and worrisome for Bertans to be hesitant. Shooters should never lack confidence and they typically think they're the best at what they do. Anderson on the other hand is having a terrible time finding his game at the NBA level and what position he is..I can see why he's hesitant but either way it's not a good thing to see

bklynspursfan
11-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Well Pop is known for having a short leash...especially with rookies. To me as someone who's been around a lot of basketball that doesn't give players confidence. Especially referring to the players in the thread title...neither have really established themselves in the league. If you are not confident it's hard to succeed in sports. Period.

I think it's inexcusable and worrisome for Bertans to be hesitant. Shooters should never lack confidence and they typically think they're the best at what they do. Anderson on the other hand is having a terrible time finding his game at the NBA level and what position he is..I can see why he's hesitant but either way it's not a good thing to see

Pop has an even shorter leash for his vets. How many times has he pulled Green out early for a missed defensive assignment? Or called a quick TO to rip into his starters for a missed assignment or sloppy play? Those are his starters... If anything he understands these guys are younger and will be a bit more patient.

He wants the rookies and younger guys to come in and be that spark. We saw Lapro get a bit out of control but Pop didn't pull him out. He's out there trying to make stuff happen and he shoots the ball if he's open. Same thing with Simmons, who while he isn't a rookie, he's a younger guy who tries to make stuff happen, and moves well without the ball.

But yea, Bertans should not be hesitant. That's why he's there... Pop would lose his mind if Bonner did that. He never cared how many shots Bonner took, but as long as he was open, he expected him to shoot. He would rip him for not shooting. These younger guys probably have a much longer leash than the vets cause Pop has to see what they can do. Anderson thus far this year is not showcasing the versatility that he is praised for having, so it's getting a little worrisome, but it is still somewhat early.

Old School 44
11-10-2016, 03:58 PM
It's all about trust. Trust the veteran Spurs and Pop have in the new/young players, and trust the new guys can play without always looking over their shoulder. They need to be allowed to make some mistakes, without always getting the early hook.

DrSteffo
11-11-2016, 02:02 PM
They are not good enough.

SpursforSix
11-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Maybe we can squash them together like a CheeseIt and combine their skillsets. At the least, it'd open up a roster spot.

DrSteffo
11-11-2016, 03:43 PM
squash them together and you get bad salsa

NameLess Scrub
11-11-2016, 04:08 PM
They are not good enough.

NameLess Scrub
11-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Maybe we can squash them together like a CheeseIt and combine their skillsets. At the least, it'd open up a roster spot.

How hesitant would the merged version be? :wow

SpursforSix
11-11-2016, 04:49 PM
How hesitant would the merged version be? :wow

:lol

Ok...then mash Tony up with them as well.

NameLess Scrub
11-11-2016, 04:58 PM
:lol

Ok...then mash Tony up with them as well.

That's better :lol

Hoops Czar
11-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Hopefully Bertans can figure it out. Dude looked like a free agent steal in the preseason. I hope that injury he just had isn't a major problem.

I'm sure you said the same thing when the Spurs traded Rasho Nesterovic to the Raptors for Matt Bonner.

Hoops Czar
11-11-2016, 05:13 PM

Pop can't squeeze blood from a turnip. The guys in question are not good defenders. It's partly Pop's fault for roster re-construction and partly the NBA's fault for the rise in the salary cap which in turn, watered down the league. It's extremely rare to find overseas talent that can play consistently and without fault at the NBA level. The one's that can are drafted.

Kyle Anderson is just a draft bust where Pop is trying to turn nothing into something and it's very painful to watch.

timtonymanu
11-11-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm sure you said the same thing when the Spurs traded Rasho Nesterovic to the Raptors for Matt Bonner.

Not at all, Poops