PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich has seen Enough

Chris
11-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Gregg Popovich calls out the Spurs for their inconsistent play

The San Antonio Spurs fell to the Houston Rockets on Wednesday night by the score of 101-99 and legendary head coach Gregg Popovich didn't hide that he was less than pleased with his team's effort following the game.

While the Silver and Black were much better during the second half, San Antonio once again game up 60 points or more in the opening 24 minutes of action and that clearly struck a chord with Popovich.

“We gave up 63 points in the first half and 38 points in the second half,” Popovich said, according to Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News. “That’s what we’ve been doing here at home, play a quarter or two of defense and a quarter or two of no defense. The consistency in that regard has been not good.”

Despite the fact that the season is still young and a number of new faces are continuing to get acclimated with the system, the Spurs will have to figure out a way to put a full 48 minutes together sooner rather than later.

Fortunately, they won't have to wait long to try and turn things around as San Antonio will host the Detroit Pistons at the AT&T Center on Friday night.

http://spurs.247sports.com/Bolt/Gregg-Popovich-calls-out-the-Spurs-for-their-inconsistent-play-48873713

dabom
11-10-2016, 03:29 PM
This isn't even a call out. :lmao

Chinook
11-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Shoulda tried playing Green more.

bklynspursfan
11-10-2016, 03:50 PM

I thought that too, and then realized it was his first game back and Pop usually is cautious in those scenarios, maybe to a fault. He played 26 mins overall which isn't terrible, but I get it. He didn't want to overdo it on his first game back

RD2191
11-10-2016, 03:55 PM
Pop can stfu tbh. Benching pau is the clear answer. Maybe he should just say he doesn't have the balls to bench Gasol.

T Park
11-10-2016, 05:37 PM
I thought that too, and then realized it was his first game back and Pop usually is cautious in those scenarios, maybe to a fault. He played 26 mins overall which isn't terrible, but I get it. He didn't want to overdo it on his first game back

He's barely practiced for a few days and first game since May...

james evans
11-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Being that he's putting in the worst fucking lineups possible and having the team pack the paint and give up the open 3, he should have looked himself in the mirror and had this conversation

Slippy
11-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Thought the improved D had more to do with less Manu & more of simmons in the second half.

Athletic fast breaking teams with a Harden calibur pg leading the way. Pop trots outs a 39yo Manu as first gaurd off the bench. Head scratcher

bklynspursfan
11-10-2016, 06:30 PM
He's barely practiced for a few days and first game since May...

Wow, didn't realize. Even more reason Pop limited him. I bet he probably played him more than he wanted too

dabom
11-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Pop can stfu tbh. Benching pau is the clear answer. Maybe he should just say he doesn't have the balls to bench Gasol.

Play Boban
11-10-2016, 07:28 PM
Porker is the problem. This team will always struggle on defense as long as Popsickle continues to trot him out onto the court.

Drain the swamp. Cut Porker.

Spurs9
11-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Boban is going to destroy us tbh

timtonymanu
11-10-2016, 07:39 PM
We could have addressed these things in the offseason. Spurs are just too loyal to a fault to part ways with their guys. First sign was keeping Bonner on the roster last season over Butler.

sasaint
11-10-2016, 08:12 PM
We could have addressed these things in the offseason. Spurs are just too loyal to a fault to part ways with their guys. First sign was keeping Bonner on the roster last season over Butler.

Lots of signs before that, tbh. Pop may have seen "enough", but he is destined to see a lot more, because this is what PATFO have created. I doubt they will change their "spots" now.

sananspursfan21
11-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Being that he's putting in the worst fucking lineups possible and having the team pack the paint and give up the open 3, he should have looked himself in the mirror and had this conversation

If they didn't pack the paint then harden and co had a Nile river width lane to the basket. They picked their poison last night considering Gasol refuses to rotate, play help d, or body while in the paint. I'm pretty patient with players compared to most on this forum but he's already burning my bacon.

TheDoctor
11-10-2016, 08:56 PM
:pop: - There are more important things in Life other than basketball.

MaNu4Tres
11-10-2016, 09:02 PM

Should have maybe tried to give Dedmon more than 4 minutes too.

boutons_deux
11-10-2016, 09:12 PM

needs a few games to get in full game shape.

MultiTroll
11-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Such a bad acquisition along with overpaying Manu and the Porker albatross.
When that bitch didn't want to pursue a ring and instead chose more money at Chicago he showed his true colors.

james evans
11-11-2016, 12:27 AM
If they didn't pack the paint then harden and co had a Nile river width lane to the basket. They picked their poison last night considering Gasol refuses to rotate, play help d, or body while in the paint. I'm pretty patient with players compared to most on this forum but he's already burning my bacon.
Force Harden to the right and color the right side of the basket/paint. It's not rocket science. Basketball is one of the easiest sports to coach. Just like in 2014 when Ibaka came back and the Thunder tied the series 2-2 I suggested benching Shitter and starting Diaw to space the floor.(you can do a search). Damn near this whole site thought I was crazy, but what did Popovich do in game 5? and the rest is history...

sananspursfan21
11-11-2016, 12:37 AM
Force Harden to the right and color the right side of the basket/paint. It's not rocket science. Basketball is one of the easiest sports to coach. Just like in 2014 when Ibaka came back and the Thunder tied the series 2-2 I suggested benching Shitter and starting Diaw to space the floor.(you can do a search). Damn near this whole site thought I was crazy, but what did Popovich do in game 5? and the rest is history...

Basketball is one of the easiest sports to coach? Haha, all credibility went right out of the window.

james evans
11-11-2016, 12:56 AM
Basketball is one of the easiest sports to coach? Haha, all credibility went right out of the window.
of all the major sports, it really is. between football, hockey, baseball, and soccer, you have on average 12-14 guys to worry about on your team and 12-14 guys on the other team. There is no defensive unit and offensive unit. there is no worrying about who will be pitching the next game against you,. When players sub in during the game, it's from a time out. 5 men on the court from your side, 5 on the court from their side. Of the Major sports in amerikka, it's really one of the easiest. The last 2 NBA championships, 1st year coaches won titles. When's the last time that happened in the NHL, MLB, or NFL in back to back years?

jbspurs
11-11-2016, 01:03 AM
Porker is the problem. This team will always struggle on defense as long as Popsickle continues to trot him out onto the court.

Drain the swamp. Cut Porker.

He gets the blame even when he is not playing...SMH

Ice009
11-11-2016, 02:55 AM
of all the major sports, it really is. between football, hockey, baseball, and soccer, you have on average 12-14 guys to worry about on your team and 12-14 guys on the other team. There is no defensive unit and offensive unit. there is no worrying about who will be pitching the next game against you,. When players sub in during the game, it's from a time out. 5 men on the court from your side, 5 on the court from their side. Of the Major sports in amerikka, it's really one of the easiest. The last 2 NBA championships, 1st year coaches won titles. When's the last time that happened in the NHL, MLB, or NFL in back to back years?

Those first year coaches had really fucking good teams. They didn't win with a bunch of scrubs. Don't be silly man. It's nowhere near as easy as you're saying.

TheGreatYacht
11-11-2016, 02:59 AM
That's Spurstalk for you smh

YGWHI
11-11-2016, 09:29 AM

Agreed.

But also, what's Pop doing to hide Pau's lack of mobility on defense, to fix the Spurs' lack of rim protection, and how he could solve Parker and Pau being together net negative on the court when Parker returns??

I would love to know that.

MultiTroll
11-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Serious question.
In Nov 2016 presently and moving forward, who is better equipped to coach an NBA team?:
Greg CIA Pop
or
Luke Walton

Horse
11-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Play Danny 2 more minutes and we win wed night. That said this team will improve a great deal by playoff time. Keep the faith!

Play Boban
11-11-2016, 01:27 PM
You're damn right he does. He is a cancer on the team. His lack of defense has spread like a pathogen to other unfortunate members of the team. Popsickle deserves the blame for not cutting Parker years ago. We should've traded for Jason Kidd.

ThomasamohT
11-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Clearly if Parker would have played we would have won, so of course we have to blame him for being injured.
(except we would have lost had he played because he is "awful.")

So in a cyclical way we can blame him for anything: Spurs lose, Trump winning, etc...

Spur|n|Austin
11-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Boban is going to destroy us tbh

In those 4.5 mins he's averaging a game he will completely destroy us :rolleyes

Keepin' it real
11-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Based on the thread title, I thought maybe Pop visited spurstalk for about 5 seconds, and that was his reaction.

james evans
11-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Those first year coaches had really fucking good teams. They didn't win with a bunch of scrubs. Don't be silly man. It's nowhere near as easy as you're saying.
first of all, no one wings with a team full of scrubs. 2nd, if basketball isn't the easiest to coach of the major sports here in amerika, which is easier? If football is so easy to coach, why are there offensive/defensive coordinators? We can debate, but what are you gonna add to the conversation. You're implying basketball is this hard job to coach, but you're not saying what makes football, hockey, and baseball so easy.

jbspurs
11-12-2016, 10:34 PM
You're damn right he does. He is a cancer on the team. His lack of defense has spread like a pathogen to other unfortunate members of the team. Popsickle deserves the blame for not cutting Parker years ago. We should've traded for Jason Kidd.

:wakeup