PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades: Pistons @ Spurs (Game 30 of the 2005 Finals)

Robz4000
11-12-2016, 01:51 AM
Alright, enough fun and games talking about some election nobody gives a fuck about; it's time to get down to some serious business: how much this team sucks right now.

The Story:
The Pistons came into this game with a 4-4 record, 0-4 on the road with an average losing margin of 16.5 points. Spurs almost let them leave the AT&T Center with their first road win.

To start the game off, the Pistons and Spurs were playing roughly even when MVPau decided to take over a bit and helped the Spurs build a nine point lead. However, the Spurs began taking terrible shots while playing un-energetically on the defensive end which, along with some lights-out shooting from star big-man gunner Andre Drummond, resulted in Detroit taking a three point lead into intermission.

Both teams traded leads throughout much of the early-goings of the third quarter before the bench, most notably Manu Ginobili, checked in. Manu went apeshit on the court for about three minutes and gave the Spurs an 8 point lead going into the fourth. The Spurs managed to extend the lead to 13 points before Kawhi checked back in, where he then decided to take matters into his own hands and bring the Pistons back into the game near singlehandedly. Thankfully he decided to slow down and make some bad plays for Detroit (sinking a three, stealing the ball on the next possession) to put the game away. The end results were a 96-86 victory that left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Some things I noticed during the game:

-Detroit can't shoot, which is the main reason the Spurs won this game; if they were just an average shooting team they win this game by 10.

-MVPau can still play the game of basketball at a high level, but he just might not be a fit for this team. Him and LMA can't seem to play well together at the same time. Not sure if he'd accept a move to the bench, but if he did it may just get this team on track.

-LMA rebounded better tonight, but it was against a smaller frontline. He also really can't shoot well right now. It'll get better as the season wears on, but his inability to do much else on offense hurts the team (both SL and bench).

-OTOH, I thought LMA played well enough on defense. This reason, along with Gasol's better fit with the bench, is why I don't see him being benched even if he were willing.

-This team needs a playmaking guard badly, and I don't think the solution exists in-house. This team is most likely going to have to make some kind of significant trade this season if they hope to seriously contend. Should they trade one of LMA/Gasol? It's starting to look likely.

-Should Gasol be fine with going to the bench, a possible solution to some issues may be starting Fathead. I know most of us scoff at the idea, but he really seems to play his best at PF, and his deceptive length, above-average D (when he knows wtf he's doing), rebounding ability, and playmaking can fit right in as long as he doesn't hesitate on the open threes.

Grades:

Kawhi Leonard - C

Just wasn't a good game from our MVP tonight. Couldn't score unless it was from three (4-5, which is good) and never did manage to really get to the charity stripe. He ended up forcing it at times, especially in the fourth quarter. Luckily, he made a three when the team needed it most and stole the ball on the next possession to put the game away. Good news: team managed to win when Kawhi played terrible. Bad news: he was terrible against a terrible Pistons team. SVG made it a point to shut down Kawhi tonight, but he shouldn't have trouble against the likes of Tobias Harris.

LaMarcus Aldridge - C+

LMA rebounded well tonight, especially against Detroit's smaller (yet athletic) bigs. However, that's about it for positives. His jumper remains a work-in-progress this season, yet he continues to settle for them. Didn't see him post up much, but when he did he again settled for fadeaway jumpers. His one-dimensional offensive game continues to stagnate the offense, especially when he can't score. Hopefully as the season wears on he starts hitting like last season. If not, the Spurs may just trade him after all.

Pau Gasol - A+

Definitely an MVPau game tonight. Was largely responsible for the Spurs getting off to a good start tonight by scoring and facilitating. Never forced anything once the rest of the team got going, but hit timely shots the rest of the way with some slick passing here and there. His defense to start was fine; had a good sequence guarding Drummond and Baynes one-on-one in the first half. However, as the game wore on he began to become overwhelmed by Drummond's athleticism which is understandable for someone at Gasol's age. Houston is a terrible match-up for him so I wouldn't be surprised if he's rested tomorrow.

Kyle "Fathead" Anderson - A

Was he, dare I say it, elite tonight?????????????? No, but he was pretty damn good for what we've come to expect. Moved the ball well, rebounded, played good D, and best of all SCORED. I know a lot of the Fathead hate crew will hiss and moan at me for this (myself included), but if LMA and Gasol continue to struggle I think Fathead may actually be a solid solution in the SL to replace Gasol (if he'll allow it).

Tony Porker - C

Welp, welcome back Porker. Outside his opening jumpers to start each half, Tony looked terrible trying to score the ball; even forced it towards the end of the game which got him benched for Patty. Early on he tried to get others involved which helped to get Gasol going, but eventually fell back into more familiar heroball patterns. Hopefully he starts to gain a rythym, otherwise I have no idea what the hell the Spurs are gonna do for playmaking without making a significant trade.

Manu Ginobili - A-

Super Manu was in the building late in the third; single-handedly got the Spurs going on both ends to get the separation needed to eventually pull out the win. He had some stupid plays, of course, but that's par for the course with him. Enjoy these games while you can, won't be many of them.

Patty Mills - A

Just a so-so game from Mills tonight shooting-wise, but the rest of his game was great. Found himself back on the bench with the return of Porker tonight. Didn't shoot the ball very well from three, but the rest of his game was on display; four assists with one TO, a couple nice plays at the rim, some decent defense, and a lot of energy at both ends. Not sure how I feel about him as a starting PG, but it can't be denied this team is better when he's available to play.

Jonathon Simmons - C+

Kind of a pedestrian game for the Juice, but he continued to show a steady hand on both ends. He didn't make any of his three shots, but he got to the rim well enough and drew FTs aplenty. Really becoming a fan of his on the defensive end, though. With the Spurs' lack of good defenders these days, it'd be nice if he could become a consistently positive presence on that end to help Kawhi and LDN.

David Lee - C+

Same kinda deal as the Juice; an average game from DLee, but he made some great plays on offense (det pass to Mills) and otherwise wasn't a defensive liability. However, his difficulty rebounding tonight should've prompted Dedmon to see some extra minutes, since he has more hops to compete with Detroit's athletic bigs.

Dewayne Dedmon - C

Can't give Dedmon much in the way of a good or bad grade; he hardly played tonight whether it was due to Pop's shortened rotation or he's now in the dog house. The six minutes he did play he managed to do a bit of everything outside scoring, but it's a small sample size. Would've liked to see more, but hopefully he gets playing time tomorrow; the Spurs are gonna need him.

The Rest - F

:lmao :lmao CROFL Murray

Pop - B+

Showed a decent amount of fire tonight and clearly wanted to win tonight if his smaller rotation was any indication. Didn't agree with some of his moves, but when a lineup was struggling he was quick to pull the plug and let the lineup that got the team a decent lead late in the third/early in the fourth stay in. Also rode Gasol when he was having a great game, but it should be noted that Dedmon has seen his rotation minutes all but disappear the past few games. Is it nothing, or is it something? Tomorrow should be a good indicator. Det pre-game interview game him the + though, really rustled some jimmies :lol...

dabom
11-12-2016, 01:54 AM
Best write up of the year. OP with the goods. :tu

Love the names. :lol

dabom
11-12-2016, 01:55 AM
OP 10/10.

TimDunkem
11-12-2016, 02:00 AM
Can't help but also wonder if Dedmon is in the doghouse. Guy was playing quite well until one bad game against the Clips, then got buried in the bench.

Hoops Czar
11-12-2016, 02:04 AM
I know these grades are curved but, Kawhi a C? Really?

Kikoluna
11-12-2016, 02:05 AM
Wow my man, what are you smoking? More playing time for Kyle worthless Anderson? Common man

Robz4000
11-12-2016, 02:07 AM
I know these grades are curved but, Kawhi a C? Really?

If he continued to Kirby it up on the way to an L, it'd of been an F.

TDomination
11-12-2016, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the grades!

this team just looks so foreign to me. I see Parker, I see manu, I see Pop but man I feel like this team is far from the Spurs I'm used to. Which I guess it is since TD ain't there anymore, but man I'm hoping to at least see more hustle and energy from the guys. Also have The Spurs sold out a game yet? Or are people buying tickets but just not showing up? I hate seeing so many empty seats every game.

YGWHI
11-12-2016, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the grades! :tu

Detroit can't shoot, which is the main reason the Spurs won this game; if they were just an average shooting team they win this game by 10.
Pretty much this, Spurs gave them plenty of open shots...

Bad news: he was terrible against a terrible Pistons team. SVG made it a point to shut down Kawhi tonight, but he shouldn't have trouble against the likes of Tobias Harris.
It's not like SVG strategy shut down Kawhi. He was missing shots he usually makes and didn't get the calls he got in previous games.

He was very passive in the first half trying to give others the ball...That's why he took his 4th shot of the game remaining only 3:44 in the 2nd quarter.

ElNono
11-12-2016, 02:23 AM
Thanks Robz :tu

Austin_Toros
11-12-2016, 03:00 AM
If Spur killer Reggie Jackson had played, Pistons would have won.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-12-2016, 03:27 AM
Thanks Robz, great write up.

Really worried about the Spurs as well as the lack of playing time for Dedmon. We may have another Nazrgate on our hands.

apalisoc_9
11-12-2016, 03:30 AM
Thanks Robz, great write up.

Really worried about the Spurs as well as the lack of playing time for Dedmon. We may have another Nazrgate on our hands.

Pop is going to throw the season away because dedmon tweeted he deserves more playing time :lol

tbdog
11-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Great work, op. I am surprised Detroit are bad shooters. The swingman all can shoot.

Robz4000
11-12-2016, 05:51 AM
Great work, op. I am surprised Detroit are bad shooters. The swingman all can shoot.

They have a stretch 4 in Leuer and a tweener in Morris, but the rest of their team is pretty mediocre from 3. None of Ish Smith, KCP, Harris, Drummond, Udrih, and Baynes stretch the floor beyond 16 feet.

tbdog
11-12-2016, 06:02 AM
Harris should be a good shooting, same a KCP.

DeRozan m8
11-12-2016, 06:59 AM
Fuck Pop for putting Dedmon in the fucking dog house.

We fucking need him

99 Problems
11-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Pop is going to throw the season away because dedmon tweeted he deserves more playing time :lol

:lol

Chinook
11-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Thanks for taking over at the last minute, Robz.

I am glad the Spurs went away from Kawhi when he wasn't hitting it. They let him get some shots, but it wasn't a consistent thing where he got the ball every time down the floor. Maybe Apalisoc_9's claim that Kawhi should focus on defense more is correct? He did his part on that end with Morris.

Anderson had some downs when trying to score, but especially against guys who are shorter than him, he has to take advantage. And he did so last night. Just has to keep doing it. I could see Kyle starting tonight, since he's the better match-up for Ryan Anderson anyway.

I didn't think Parker was very bad. He's going to have to figure out what kind of offensive game he has left at this point in his career. Most of his stuff might be gone or only usable under idea circumstances, but I think some could still be there. And I felt like he competed defensively, and that will be a bigger issue against Brewer tonight. We'll see. I don't think starting Patty is a consistent answer yet.

I like what Pau did for the most part. Drummond is a max player and wasn't going to be held down forever, but Gasol still competed, having the game-sealing block with about a minute to go. It's hard for him, LMA and Kawhi to get it going at the same time, and the same would be true if Anderson ever started scoring. It makes the most sense to stagger them heavily even if they all start in games like this.

Raven
11-12-2016, 08:27 AM
fairly bad game. rim protection seems to be a legitimate problem. Let's see how things work out with LDN now.

bigfan
11-12-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the writeup. I'm hoping things jell soon.

TheDoctor
11-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the grades OP :tu

sasaint
11-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the effort and the time and the grades. :toast

GSH
11-12-2016, 11:04 AM
I said it in the game thread last night, but I couldn't help feeling like the Spurs are now the meanest kid on the short bus. Beating the Pistons felt a lot like taking advantage of the disabled.

SAGirl
11-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your grades Rob!!!
Great job. I agree with pretty much everything.

Just a note on MVPau. He is such a skilled offensive player, and he was great in this game for sure, but his rim protection is so bad at times that I don't think I'd ever give him an A bc I want him to be better, but I might have to accept this is as good as it's going to get and move on. It can't be denied be had a great game otherwise.

:flag:

bklynspursfan
11-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Parker wasn't that bad, but this is spurs talk lol... overall not too bad

Horse
11-12-2016, 02:05 PM
What's up with kawhi suddenly not getting any calls?

Keepin' it real
11-12-2016, 02:41 PM
If Spur killer Reggie Jackson had played, Pistons would have won.

Prove it.

gambit1990
11-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Parker wasn't that bad, but this is spurs talk lol... overall not too bad
3 of 11 :lol

and his offense was better than his defense.

bklynspursfan
11-12-2016, 03:28 PM
3 of 11 :lol

and his offense was better than his defense.

Yea, see i dont let box scores dictate how a guy did. He competed on defense, and most the shots he took were good looks. Only a few were forced.

But I already know the deal with TP on here

gambit1990
11-12-2016, 03:47 PM
But I already know the deal with TP on here
his defensive rating was 106 (second worse on the spurs last night).
his offensive rating was 80 (worse on the spurs last night).

and he had the second highest usage rate last night.

Slippy
11-12-2016, 05:51 PM
To be fair to LA teams are doubling him on post-ups. They are consistently taking away his sweetspots in the key. Forcing him to pass out or settle for the fade-away

Thanks for the grades

Nathan89
11-12-2016, 05:54 PM
"(Game 30 of the 2005 Finals)"

:lobt2:How is the series going?