PDA

View Full Version : Best way and place to buy / upgrade to a new smartphone?

Fabbs
11-14-2016, 10:36 AM
From what I gather, the Big 4 (Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint) have become like car dealerships.
Only sell their new phones when tied to a two year plan with outrageous monthly fees like 80 bucks before tax and tip.
Or.
You can buy a phone without a plan, but its gonna be 750 bucks.
Or
You keep your *old* phone S5 or i5, pay off the old plan but the new plan is gonna be 65 bucks a month.

Anybody got a way to beat these phucksticks?
I've got an S5. 19 months done, only 3 months remaining on my 2 year contract.
I was admiring the hot ass chicks they had working at TMobile, and their offer of turn in phone in exchange for TMobile buying out my contract and they would give me an S7 and data etc for 80 bucks a month for two years. Sounded okay until the Galaxy Note started blowing up and that put questions in my mind about S7. Plus, as I was inching further towards doing this deal, dude tells me his girlfriend traded her s5 for an s7 and the s7 breaks way too easily.
Verified by a review.

So wtf you guys got for new/updgrade deals?

DJR210
11-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Best way is to finance it through your plan IMO.

T-Mobile doesn't have me locked into any kind of contract, other than my obligation to pay off the phone at once if I was to cancel my service w/ them. As for pricing, what can you really expect? You basically have a mini computer in your pocket, that shit's gonna have cost when you get one with all the bells and whistles like the latest screen tech and the high end processors.

Xevious
11-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Best way is to finance it through your plan IMO.

Fuck that. I don't even want to finance vehicles, why the hell would I put a telephone on a payment plan? You end up paying full price anyway once it's all said and done anyway.

There aren't a whole lot of options since carriers stopped offering discounted phones. You can either pay full price ($600-700), finance it through your plan, or buy an older or used phone which your carrier should activate for free. Carriers now also lease phones, but you have to be retarded to do that.

DJR210
11-14-2016, 10:16 PM
Fuck that. I don't even want to finance vehicles, why the hell would I put a telephone on a payment plan? You end up paying full price anyway once it's all said and done anyway.

There aren't a whole lot of options since carriers stopped offering discounted phones. You can either pay full price ($600-700), finance it through your plan, or buy an older or used phone which your carrier should activate for free. Carriers now also lease phones, but you have to be retarded to do that.

I understand i will pay full cost for the phone I don't expect anything free. It's better than dropping down nearly a grand cash lump sum to get the latest phone

Xevious
11-14-2016, 10:27 PM
I understand i will pay full cost for the phone I don't expect anything free. It's better than dropping down nearly a grand cash lump sum to get the latest phone
For a single person it isn't a huge investment each month, but I've got four lines on my plan. That would be an additional 100 bucks a month if everybody wanted the latest phone.

MI21
11-15-2016, 02:50 AM
I've always bought phones outright. Keep an eye out and source it cheap during sales periods, promos etc and then sell the phone after 12 months and put that money towards a new handset.

This allows me to be in BYO plans which in Australia at least, are much better and you aren't locked in.

Currently I get unlimited calls, text and 13GB of 4G data on Australia's best network for $50AU a month. If you want to get something like that here with a new handset it will cost around $120p/m on that network. They offer high data plans for BYO but really ramp it up when a handset is tacked on.

Btw, I have an iPhone 7+ for work and a Galaxy s7 edge for personal, that S7 is superior.

TDMVPDPOY
11-15-2016, 07:02 AM
I've always bought phones outright. Keep an eye out and source it cheap during sales periods, promos etc and then sell the phone after 12 months and put that money towards a new handset.

This allows me to be in BYO plans which in Australia at least, are much better and you aren't locked in.

Currently I get unlimited calls, text and 13GB of 4G data on Australia's best network for $50AU a month. If you want to get something like that here with a new handset it will cost around $120p/m on that network. They offer high data plans for BYO but really ramp it up when a handset is tacked on.

Btw, I have an iPhone 7+ for work and a Galaxy s7 edge for personal, that S7 is superior.

you with telstra? my internet 2yr plan just expired trying to look for a good deal for internet+cable+mobile phone byo

MI21
11-15-2016, 08:55 AM
you with telstra? my internet 2yr plan just expired trying to look for a good deal for internet+cable+mobile phone byo

Yep you fkn wnker.

If you use BYO make sure you deal with Telstra, you will get the deal you want for sure. Always mention Optus as competition as well.

Cry Havoc
11-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Try Google Fi.

https://fi.google.com/about/

lefty
11-15-2016, 01:41 PM
From what I gather, the Big 4 (Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint) have become like car dealerships.
Only sell their new phones when tied to a two year plan with outrageous monthly fees like 80 bucks before tax and tip.
Or.
You can buy a phone without a plan, but its gonna be 750 bucks.
Or
You keep your *old* phone S5 or i5, pay off the old plan but the new plan is gonna be 65 bucks a month.

Anybody got a way to beat these phucksticks?
I've got an S5. 19 months done, only 3 months remaining on my 2 year contract.
I was admiring the hot ass chicks they had working at TMobile, and their offer of turn in phone in exchange for TMobile buying out my contract and they would give me an S7 and data etc for 80 bucks a month for two years. Sounded okay until the Galaxy Note started blowing up and that put questions in my mind about S7. Plus, as I was inching further towards doing this deal, dude tells me his girlfriend traded her s5 for an s7 and the s7 breaks way too easily.
Verified by a review.

So wtf you guys got for new/updgrade deals?
lol

S7s dont explode tbh, dont worry

Get a UAG case; not big-bulky at all yet they offer great protection

And they look great imo

Great unlocked "cheap" phones :

- Alcatel Idol 4S
- Axon ZTE 7
- Huawei Honor 8 (looks great in dark blue )
- Oneplus 3

Those a are great phones, even though they dont cost $800-1000 like the Samsungs and iPhones

Watch Flossy Carter's reviews on those phones tbh

Drachen
11-18-2016, 05:10 PM
Try Google Fi.

https://fi.google.com/about/

Definitely do this if you don't use data