PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Austin soon

BD24
11-15-2016, 07:46 PM
I live in San Antonio and will probably be moving to Austin in the next few years, would like to work for either Google or Facebook and Austin is just an awesome city tbh.

Anyway, for those of you that are local I was wondering where is a good area to live. I will not be living in Austin proper, right now the suburbs I'm looking at are Georgetown, Round Rock, and Cedar Park. Leaning towards Cedar Park because of the proximity to Lake Travis.

I am looking for an area with good school districts, nice parks nearby, and somewhere not incredibly far from downtown. If you have any reccomendations outside of the areas I have stated feel free to mention them as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

oh crap
11-15-2016, 10:24 PM
may want to check Pflugerville, closer to Austin than RR and CP and it's in Travis County. I'd stay away from Williamson County (the cops earn their bad rep) but that's just my opinion

BD24
11-15-2016, 10:40 PM
may want to check Pflugerville, closer to Austin than RR and CP and it's in Travis County. I'd stay away from Williamson County (the cops earn their bad rep) but that's just my opinion
I checked out Pflugerville, my issue with it is that the schools aren't rated all that great. I have been there a few times and its nice, that would be the reason I wouldn't choose it though.

Cops just really strict or what?

DPG21920
11-16-2016, 01:20 AM
Those are all incredibly far from downtown Austin, especially with traffic.

Would need to know general budget and if you would prefer to rent or buy (also home or apartment).

DisAsTerBot
11-18-2016, 05:12 PM
Yeah budget would help

ashbeeigh
11-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Wells Branch. Far north Austin and with traffic about an hour drive to downtown but without about a 20-25 minute drive. A five mile trail with parks scattered all over. It is split between Pflugerville and RR Isds so make sure you're on the Round Rock side. Google and Facebook are both way in town...there are good choices for schools within AISD (And I don't say that just because I work within one of the schools). Consider looking a bit closer in than Cedar Park and Round Rock if you want to be close to the action but not in town. Maybe even Northwest Hills could be an option.

And regarding Williamson county law enforcement I was driving down whatever the road is that's by Ikea headed home from Seton at about 11:30 at night and was driving 50 (speed limit is 45) and a cop flashed his brights at me to slow down. I didn't get stopped but I was like "Fuck, it's 11 o clock on a Tuesday. Let a girl drive."

BD24
11-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Those are all incredibly far from downtown Austin, especially with traffic.

Would need to know general budget and if you would prefer to rent or buy (also home or apartment).
From what I saw they are about 15 to 20 miles from downtown. I know Austin traffic is bad, but is it that bad that it will be an hour commute?

I will be looking to buy a house. House will need to be at least 2000 sq, preferably bigger. Budget will be around 500k, can go higher if needed. Would prefer to stay around there though. Good school districts also very important. From what I saw Leander had one of the top school districts.

DMX7
11-18-2016, 11:28 PM
A lot of people would like to work at Google or Facebook in Austin. Have you graduated school already? Do you have a job?

BD24
11-18-2016, 11:41 PM
A lot of people would like to work at Google or Facebook in Austin. Have you graduated school already? Do you have a job?
Yea man I already have a job. Google, Facebook, and Indeed are my target companies. They all have positions in my field, I have been approached by Google previously for opportunities, but am not yet able to move to Austin. Having a kid soon, so moving to Austin isn't an option right now.

pgardn
11-18-2016, 11:47 PM
You will pay for housing.

The California influx is driving up home prices.

BD24
11-19-2016, 12:22 AM
You will pay for housing.

The California influx is driving up home prices.
They aren't terrible yet. Have been monitoring them. My house in SA is comparable in price to similar ones there.

DPG21920
11-19-2016, 01:53 AM
From what I saw they are about 15 to 20 miles from downtown. I know Austin traffic is bad, but is it that bad that it will be an hour commute?

I will be looking to buy a house. House will need to be at least 2000 sq, preferably bigger. Budget will be around 500k, can go higher if needed. Would prefer to stay around there though. Good school districts also very important. From what I saw Leander had one of the top school districts.

It will be. I live in South Austin, lived in DT Austin for about 2 years before that. It will be an hour commute if youa re 15-20 miles.

The schools thing makes it a bit more difficult. I think the districts like you said are good where you are looking, but that means commute to DT.

BD24
11-19-2016, 09:30 AM
It will be. I live in South Austin, lived in DT Austin for about 2 years before that. It will be an hour commute if youa re 15-20 miles.

The schools thing makes it a bit more difficult. I think the districts like you said are good where you are looking, but that means commute to DT.
Interesting, I saw that some of the burbs have a light rail system. Is that a viable option or not really?

ashbeeigh
11-19-2016, 10:50 AM
Yea man I already have a job. Google, Facebook, and Indeed are my target companies. They all have positions in my field, I have been approached by Google previously for opportunities, but am not yet able to move to Austin. Having a kid soon, so moving to Austin isn't an option right now.

Why the fuck are you asking about options in Austin if you can't move there right now? I'm seriously confused about the question if you can't move there right now. Things change so quickly in Austin.....

Sticking with Wells Branch, though as an option. You can get a bigger home for about 350-450k and you'll be in RRISD. I lived there. The zip is 78728. I commuted to Burnet/Justin and again to St. John's/35. Both drives could be 45 minutes easy with bad traffic. Now I live at 35/290 East and the drive to downtown is 15 minutes with bad traffic. 5 if there isn't any. And maybe consider renting before buying. I lived in Wells Branch for about 6 months and realized I'm much more of a Central Austinite than a 'burbs Austinite. I am much more happy where I am now than I was in Wells Branch. But schools and house size aren't an issue for me.

The Metro Rail from Leander will take you about 45 minutes. The times they come are kind of ridiculous...every 30ish minutes. Its viable if you're going down for SXSW, ACL or maybe even Trail of Lights but otherwise you'd be better off sitting in traffic. Between the stop at Highland Mall and MLK I can drive there faster than it takes for the train to come and get me and get me to MLK.

SpursforSix
11-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Why the fuck are you asking about options in Austin if you can't move there right now? I'm seriously confused about the question if you can't move there right now. Things change so quickly in Austin.....

Sticking with Wells Branch, though as an option. You can get a bigger home for about 350-450k and you'll be in RRISD. I lived there. The zip is 78728. I commuted to Burnet/Justin and again to St. John's/35. Both drives could be 45 minutes easy with bad traffic. Now I live at 35/290 East and the drive to downtown is 15 minutes with bad traffic. 5 if there isn't any. And maybe consider renting before buying. I lived in Wells Branch for about 6 months and realized I'm much more of a Central Austinite than a 'burbs Austinite. I am much more happy where I am now than I was in Wells Branch. But schools and house size aren't an issue for me.

The Metro Rail from Leander will take you about 45 minutes. The times they come are kind of ridiculous...every 30ish minutes. Its viable if you're going down for SXSW, ACL or maybe even Trail of Lights but otherwise you'd be better off sitting in traffic. Between the stop at Highland Mall and MLK I can drive there faster than it takes for the train to come and get me and get me to MLK.

You've got potty mouth.

BD24
11-19-2016, 07:57 PM

I stated in the OP that I would be in the next few years. Was basically saying I couldn't move there in 2017. Thinks aren't going to change to drastically in a year or two. Even in Austin. So calm down.

On another note I actually visited Cedarpark today and really liked what I saw. Seems like an awesome area to raise and family, great school district, lots of parks, housing prices aren't to bad and Lake Travis isn't far either. The dog park there is amazing, have 4 dogs so thats a big selling point for me. Had a kind of smaller town feel which was nice, visited Round Rock as well and wasn't as impressed. Drove around the city as well, don't think there is many houses in the city that can really provide what I am looking for, maybe on the outskirts. Visited Indeeds campus which isn't terribly far from Cedar Park.

Every time I visit Austin I realize how much better I like it than San Antonio. Not to say San Antonio isn't nice as well, Austin is just pretty perfect for what I am looking for.

ashbeeigh
11-19-2016, 09:30 PM
I stated in the OP that I would be in the next few years. Was basically saying I couldn't move there in 2017. Thinks aren't going to change to drastically in a year or two. Even in Austin. So calm down.

On another note I actually visited Cedarpark today and really liked what I saw. Seems like an awesome area to raise and family, great school district, lots of parks, housing prices aren't to bad and Lake Travis isn't far either. The dog park there is amazing, have 4 dogs so thats a big selling point for me. Had a kind of smaller town feel which was nice, visited Round Rock as well and wasn't as impressed. Drove around the city as well, don't think there is many houses in the city that can really provide what I am looking for, maybe on the outskirts. Visited Indeeds campus which isn't terribly far from Cedar Park.

Every time I visit Austin I realize how much better I like it than San Antonio. Not to say San Antonio isn't nice as well, Austin is just pretty perfect for what I am looking for.

Cool. Not sure why you asked for advice when you've pretty much decided that when/if an opportunity comes up in Austin you're moving to Cedar Park (which really isn't Austin...it's like saying you live in San Antonio when you actually live in Boerne or Schertz)

BD24
11-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Cool. Not sure why you asked for advice when you've pretty much decided that when/if an opportunity comes up in Austin you're moving to Cedar Park (which really isn't Austin...it's like saying you live in San Antonio when you actually live in Boerne or Schertz)
Stated in OP I wouldn't be living in Austin proper.

Maybe you should get the stick out of your ass and learn to read? I wasn't set on where I was going to live and still am not. Figured some insight from locals would be helpful.

pgardn
11-19-2016, 09:58 PM
They aren't terrible yet. Have been monitoring them. My house in SA is comparable in price to similar ones there.

I would check out the traffic if you end up North and have to drive South to Austin during rush hour. I have a number of friends there and I have to go up to UT fairly often. I would not want to deal with that traffic. But a lot of younger folks wanting to start a family do.

Good luck. Sounds like you got it worked out. Austin itself is very running and bike friendly so I do like that.