PDA

View Full Version : La vida loca for Spurs' Oberto

Kori Ellis
10-08-2005, 12:12 AM
La vida loca for Spurs' Oberto
Web Posted: 10/08/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100805.1C.spurs.oberto.222ff99b.html

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands — Fabricio Oberto has seen a variety of defenses in his basketball career. None, however, quite prepared him for the zone thrown at him Friday afternoon.

After reading a book to a class of 23 third-graders during the Spurs' visit to the island's Lockhart Elementary School, Oberto and Manu Ginobili found themselves swarmed by the students. Spinning slowly in a circle, the two players leaned over to autograph stickers and bookmarks for the pint-sized children.

One young boy ran over and wrapped his arms around Oberto's right leg in a big embrace.

"Every day," Oberto said, smiling, "brings a new experience."

The Spurs' latest Argentine import has reason to feel a little dazed and confused these days. After establishing himself as one of the best big men in Europe, Oberto has received a crash course in NBA life this week.

"I think Manu's gotten sick of me asking him questions," Oberto said. "I need to learn what he was doing all these years in the league."

For now, Oberto is happy enough to have joined his longtime friend in the NBA. After turning 30 in March, he considered this summer "one of my last shots" to make the jump overseas.

While the Spurs had scouted Oberto for much of the past decade and considered signing him as far back as 1999, they entered this summer hoping to bring over another of Ginobili's Argentine teammates, forward Luis Scola. When it became evident Scola would not be able to resolve a buyout with his Spanish team — the team's owners wanted almost $15million to release him — the Spurs moved quickly to sign Oberto, who was nearing a deal with Memphis.

Ginobili and Oberto both described the turn of events as a little awkward. Both also felt disappointed for their friend. Scola, whose NBA rights are still held by the Spurs, didn't let his frustration stop him from calling Oberto to offer congratulations.

The Spurs already were the favorite NBA team of Argentina because of Ginobili. Now, the country's interest figures to only grow.

"I don't think we realize yet what this is all about," Oberto said. "A lot of people in Argentina will be watching everything we do."

So far, Oberto has kept his eye on Ginobili, asking him for advice on everything from the team's terminology to how to handle Friday's school visit.

"We're good friends, and we'll become better friends," Ginobili said. "He's been one of the best players (in Europe) for five years, but it's different (here). You've got to have someone that can help you out."

While Oberto occasionally found himself a bit lost in his first few practices, sometimes cutting to the opposite side of the court from where he was supposed to be, he has also shown flashes of the type of smart, unselfish play that has made Ginobili a success. During one halfcourt drill, Oberto rifled a perfect behind-the-back bounce pass to Beno Udrih, who cut through the lane for a layup.

After watching Oberto in the first half of Friday's scrimmage, former Dallas coach Don Nelson leaned over to Spurs general manager R.C. Buford and said, "You've found another one."

"He's an odd-looking player in the sense that he's awkward at times," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's kind of a stiff player. He doesn't look (like) a natural, but he gets so much done, it's incredible, whether it's a loose ball, a charge, an offensive rebound, a great pass. He really plays for his team."

Oberto, a starting forward for Argentina's national team, already has had some success playing against NBA talent. In the gold-medal game of the 2002 World Championships against Yugoslavia, he scored 28 points while holding Vlade Divac to three. He's also given Tim Duncan some trouble during their meetings.

At 6-foot-10, the Spurs don't expect Oberto to guard Shaquille O'Neal or Yao Ming regularly. But they are hoping he can match up with some of the league's better power forwards.

And while Oberto doesn't have much of a jump shot — he makes Duncan look like Steve Kerr at the free-throw line — his passing should make him a good fit for the team's motion-oriented offense.

Oberto already has won over the team's coaches and staffers with his friendly personality. A music lover, he and his wife, Lorena, who have a newborn daughter, recently went to Austin to watch Coldplay.

Oberto also has welcomed interview requests as an opportunity to improve his English. On Friday, he and Ginobili read to the children in Spanish about a little spider who wanted to learn to play basketball.

"He had to keep practicing, keep working hard," Oberto said. "It was a good lesson."

maxpower
10-08-2005, 01:29 AM
So, what conclusion have most come to concerning Scola's buyout? Again in this article it states there was a substantial buyout and last I read out of Scola's camp was the buyout was sub ~5 mil if I recall.

carina_gino20
10-08-2005, 07:36 AM
One young boy ran over and wrapped his arms around Oberto's right leg in a big embrace.

"Every day," Oberto said, smiling, "brings a new experience."

awww..

Solid D
10-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Nice article. Oberto comes "as billed". A team player who isn't the most athletic or best leaper, but who can score in the paint, will make the extra pass, get on the floor, defend or come up with a loose ball to make a key stop or save a trip.

ALVAREZ6
10-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Oberto rifled a perfect behind-the-back bounce pass to Beno Udrih, who cut through the lane for a layup.
Wow. I want to see that in person.

And while Oberto doesn't have much of a jump shot — he makes Duncan look like Steve Kerr at the free-throw line
:lmao :lmao

That's bad.

TwoHandJam
10-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Oberto rifled a perfect behind-the-back bounce pass to Beno Udrih, who cut through the lane for a layup.

:lol Hopefully Manu has softened Pop up to these types of plays that Pop sees as "hot dogging". Remember how Pop would go "Serbian" on Manu when Manu pulled this stuff in his rookie year?