PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stuff since the election...

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Stock market going nuts, and commodity prices booming up. People seem to think good things are about to happen.

clambake
11-21-2016, 06:46 PM
this thread comes with the built-in bump factor.

boutons_deux
11-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Hillary up 1.5M votes, and counting.

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2016, 07:43 PM
this thread comes with the built-in bump factor.

Just reporting the news. The speculators are anticipating good times when commodities jump like that.

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-copper-30d-Large.gif

cd021
11-21-2016, 08:19 PM

1.7 million votes currently

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2016, 08:20 PM
1.7 million votes currently

Meh

If it had been a popular vote they both would have campaigned differently.

Hillary knew the rules. Deal with it.

boutons_deux
11-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Meh

If it had been a popular vote they both would have campaigned differently.

Hillary knew the rules. Deal with it.

gerrymandering, voter suppression/obstruction, rigged!

Th'Pusher
11-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Just reporting the news. The speculators are anticipating good times when commodities jump like that.

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-copper-30d-Large.gif

two things. First, The election was November 8 at which time everyone suspected a Hillary win. Second, they both campaigned on increasing infrastructure spending.

TheSanityAnnex
11-21-2016, 09:10 PM
two things. First, The election was November 8 at which time everyone suspected a Hillary win. Second, they both campaigned on increasing infrastructure spending.
Do you think the markets would have responded in this manner regardless of who was elected?

Th'Pusher
11-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Do you think the markets would have responded in this manner regardless of who was elected?

Hard to say. Market topped out onNovember 11, two days after the election.

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2016, 09:16 PM
Hard to say. Market topped out onNovember 11, two days after the election.

Nope. Market topped out higher today.

Th'Pusher
11-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Nope. Market topped out higher today.
My point stands. The market was heading up when the world thought Hilary had the election in the bag and both campaigned on increasing infrastructure spending.

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2016, 10:22 PM
My point stands. The market was heading up when the world thought Hilary had the election in the bag and both campaigned on increasing infrastructure spending.

How about interest rates? How about commodity prices? Back up your claim.

DMX7
11-21-2016, 10:36 PM
The stock market isn't going that nuts as a result of Trump. The Dow was in the 18,000s for a lot of last year and this year. In fact, based on the huge tax cuts he's promised, the infrastructure spending and the repatriation tax break... I would have expected it to be quite higher.

Th'Pusher
11-21-2016, 10:57 PM
How about interest rates? How about commodity prices? Back up your claim.

It's been a few weeks. Why don't you settle down there cowboy.

You incorrectly predicted a shitty market in 2016 under Obama and now you have a market Hard on now that a republican is in office.

All your takes are emotional. Rarely based on reason.

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2016, 11:10 PM
It's been a few weeks. Why don't you settle down there cowboy.

You incorrectly predicted a shitty market in 2016 under Obama and now you have a market Hard on now that a republican is in office.

All your takes are emotional. Rarely based on reason.

You clearly can't read. I'm out of the market and buying houses instead.

Th'Pusher
11-21-2016, 11:16 PM
You clearly can't read. I'm out of the market and buying houses instead.

I read just fine. If you would have gone all in in 2016 as opposed to pulling out (running away from the Obama market like you did) would you be up, or down?

Aztecfan03
11-21-2016, 11:24 PM

but headed up faster after the election

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2016, 11:25 PM
My life is a little more complicated than yours. I'm in the top tax bracket and buying houses I can deduct interest, taxes, maintenance, improvements, and depreciation meaning I save a shitload on taxes. Rent pays the out of pocket expenses while I build equity. When I sell in retirement IRS will recover the depreciation but by that time ill be in a lower regular tax bracket and gains will be taxed at capital gains rate.

rmt
11-21-2016, 11:44 PM
My life is a little more complicated than yours. I'm in the top tax bracket and buying houses I can deduct interest, taxes, maintenance, improvements, and depreciation meaning I save a shitload on taxes. Rent pays the out of pocket expenses while I build equity. When I sell in retirement IRS will recover the depreciation but by that time ill be in a lower regular tax bracket and gains will be taxed at capital gains rate.

Or leave them to your kids when you die and IRS doesn't capture the depreciation or gains - only way to bypass all the depreciation.

Winehole23
11-21-2016, 11:48 PM
there's an expectation of heavy public spending baked in. unified governments spend more. stimulus plus tax cuts will cost plenty.

same old borrow and spend Republicans

pgardn
11-22-2016, 12:13 AM

Thats a tiny %

You need to come to terms with what was a close election.

pgardn
11-22-2016, 12:14 AM
Or leave them to your kids when you die and IRS doesn't capture the depreciation or gains - only way to bypass all the depreciation.

Why would you deprive the IRS of funding more border patrols and strengthening our military?

Winehole23
11-22-2016, 12:24 AM
like the time before, stimulus will work. it will probably be bigger this time.

rmt
11-22-2016, 12:48 AM
Why would you deprive the IRS of funding more border patrols and strengthening our military?

Unlike some here, I like "my fair share" to be the lowest possible the law will allow and feel no guilt in doing whatever/investing appropriately to accomplish that.

pgardn
11-22-2016, 12:56 AM
Unlike some here, I like "my fair share" to be the lowest possible the law will allow and feel no guilt in doing whatever/investing appropriately to accomplish that.

Yeah, that fair share thing is in quotes for a reason.
Its a very contentious debate in case you have not noticed.

Ask not what your country can do for you...

rmt
11-22-2016, 01:00 AM
Yeah, that fair share thing is in quotes for a reason.
Its a very contentious debate in case you have not noticed.

Ask not what your country can do for you...

When my country uses my taxes wisely, responsibly and not wastes them is when I'll think that they deserve more. The rest of us has to live within a budget - why not them?

pgardn
11-22-2016, 01:09 AM
When my country uses my taxes wisely, responsibly and not wastes them is when I'll think that they deserve more. The rest of us has to live within a budget - why not them?

Your taxes wisely...

There are others in this country who don't agree on what wise use is.
So we all just pay for what we want... I go with infrastructure over military.

rmt
11-22-2016, 01:40 AM
There are some of us who think that the government has no business getting into certain areas (healthcare for one). Now, defense - that's a whole 'nother story - one that our founders intended the government to handle - but some might not even agree with that.

Wild Cobra
11-22-2016, 04:48 AM
The stock market isn't going that nuts as a result of Trump. The Dow was in the 18,000s for a lot of last year and this year. In fact, based on the huge tax cuts he's promised, the infrastructure spending and the repatriation tax break... I would have expected it to be quite higher.

The initial bump I think is because investors like the prospects of a Trump presidency over a Hillary residency. If Trump actually gets congress to do things his way, I'll bet the markets will respond even better.

Th'Pusher
11-22-2016, 08:26 AM

CC is too rich to invest in the market :lol

CosmicCowboy
11-22-2016, 09:09 AM
CC is too rich to invest in the market :lol

Didn't say that, but I do give thought to risk/reward in my investments. Considering the money pouring into REIT's I'm obviously not the only one that likes real estate right now.

Winehole23
11-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Deficit spending plus tax cuts: one thing Obama, Bush and Trump all agree on.

One party rule makes for a bigger punch bowl: let the party begin!

RandomGuy
11-22-2016, 10:23 AM

http://www.thehumangeoguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Gerrymandering.png

DarrinS
11-22-2016, 10:58 AM

We should just let NY and CA select our presidents, tbh.

pgardn
11-22-2016, 11:26 AM
There are some of us who think that the government has no business getting into certain areas (healthcare for one). Now, defense - that's a whole 'nother story - one that our founders intended the government to handle - but some might not even agree with that.

So medicare need not even exist...

And once soildiers get their triage quickly and get back on the battlefield, any medical needs after that, just forget that. Only medicine for staying on the battlefield, once you leave, good luck.

Do you think the government has any business funding basic science research?

DMX7
11-22-2016, 01:56 PM

It stopped being "defense" a long time ago. The military spending today is as much about our maintaining global sphere on power and influence than it is about our actual defense.

DMX7
11-22-2016, 02:03 PM

We should let the majority or at least the plurality of people who actually vote pick our presidents. It shouldn't matter what state they live in as long as they live in this country.

pgardn
11-22-2016, 02:52 PM
We should let the majority or at least the plurality of people who actually vote pick our presidents. It shouldn't matter what state they live in as long as they live in this country.

I would like like to see a list of all the States and the weighted votes using the electoral college and number of people who voted this year. I bet a vote in Alaska might be worth twice as much as a vote in California.

DMX7
11-22-2016, 03:09 PM
I would like like to see a list of all the States and the weighted votes using the electoral college and number of people who voted this year. I bet a vote in Alaska might be worth twice as much as a vote in California.

A vote in Wyoming counts almost 4x as much as a vote in California thanks to the electoral college.

WY: 3 Electoral Votes & 0.6 M People
CA: 55 Electoral Votes & 39.2 M People

CA has 18 times as many electoral votes but 67 times the population as WY.

CosmicCowboy
11-22-2016, 03:19 PM
A vote in Wyoming counts almost 4x as much as a vote in California thanks to the electoral college.

There wouldn't be a USA to start with without the Electoral college.

pgardn
11-22-2016, 04:12 PM

I was looking for the number of electoral votes paired with the number of people that actually voted in that state in 2016. It gives a better reflection of how much a vote counted this year. It might be very close to the same numbers you put up but I don't know.

pgardn
11-22-2016, 04:18 PM
There wouldn't be a USA to start with without the Electoral college.

This is is not a good reason to keep it imo.

Personally i I think keeping it and getting rid of it both have good arguments. Right now I swing towards the side of not forgetting the large land small population states. They tend to produce a lot of food and mineral wealth.

CosmicCowboy
11-22-2016, 04:20 PM
I was looking for the number of electoral votes paired with the number of people that actually voted in that state in 2016. It gives a better reflection of how much a vote counted this year. It might be very close to the same numbers you put up but I don't know.

As far as that goes, votes really only count in a few swing states. Hard Red and Hard Blue your vote doesn't really count.

pgardn
11-22-2016, 04:23 PM
As far as that goes, votes really only count in a few swing states. Hard Red and Hard Blue your vote doesn't really count.

Yeah I see that but folks still have to vote to make it hard.

Bender
11-23-2016, 01:32 PM

Luckily Wyoming people are smarter than Calif people

Clipper Nation
11-23-2016, 02:29 PM
http://www.thehumangeoguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Gerrymandering.png
Cry more. Funny how gerrymandering wasn't an issue when the Democrats gerrymandered their way to a 40-year stranglehold on Congress. It only became a big issue when the Republicans pulled their head out of their ass and started beating the Dems at their own game.

pgardn
11-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Democrats gerrymandered their way to a 40-year stranglehold on Congress..

Please list the years,of the 40 prior years, the Democrats controlled both chambers in Congress.
Slurping repeat.

40 years... where have I been. Probably not born.

CosmicCowboy
11-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Please list the years,of the 40 prior years, the Democrats controlled both chambers in Congress.
Slurping repeat.

WTF?

What does the US Congress have to do with Gerrymandering? That's all state and census driven.

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 05:09 PM
WTF?

What does the US Congress have to do with Gerrymandering? That's all state and census driven.

And for which body are the states drawing voting districts?

DMC
11-23-2016, 05:11 PM
Stock market going nuts, and commodity prices booming up. People seem to think good things are about to happen.

I called it first. Me.

DMC
11-23-2016, 05:14 PM
And for which body are the states drawing voting districts?

Has nothing to do with controlling both the house and senate though.

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 05:15 PM
I called it first. Me.

I never realized what an absolute shitposter you are until you started floating around this sub forum. It's mind blowing how little value you add.

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Has nothing to do with controlling both the house and senate though.

Wtf are you talking about? The states gerrymander the US house by way of the districts they draw. The senate obviously can't be gerrymandered.

DMC
11-23-2016, 05:19 PM
I never realized what an absolute shitposter you are until you started floating around this sub forum. It's mind blowing how little value you add.

Really? I realized that about you right away when you would butt in and run your aperture, then dismiss yourself when research was required.

DMC
11-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Wtf are you talking about? The states gerrymander the US house by way of the districts they draw. The senate obviously can't be gerrymandered.

Just admit you had no idea what they were even talking about and we can FFWD to the part where you quit.

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Just admit you had no idea what they were even talking about and we can FFWD to the part where you quit.

CN said the democrats gerrymandered their way to 40 year control of congress. Pgardn asks when the democrats had a 40 year control of congress. CC then asks what gerrymandering has to do with the US congress like a moron. Then you pop in with some low value shit. Sound about right?

DMC
11-23-2016, 05:29 PM
CN said the democrats gerrymandered their way to 40 year control of congress. Pgardn asks when the democrats had a 40 year control of congress. CC then asks what gerrymandering has to do with the US congress like a moron. Then you pop in with some low value shit. Sound about right?
Only for fuckers who like to change words to suit their narrative. CN said stranglehold. He didn't say control. What about that word is so unappealing that you need to change it?

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Only for fuckers who like to change words to suit their narrative. CN said stranglehold. He didn't say control. What about that word is so unappealing that you need to change it?

I was paraphrasing. It changes absolutely nothing.

DMC
11-23-2016, 05:36 PM
I was paraphrasing. It changes absolutely nothing.

Because the one touch "quote" function is so difficult as to sway you to type your paraphrase instead.

A word has several possible synonyms. You and a few others here use one of your choosing instead of the original word and then you set out arguing against it as if the original word became unavailable. Your bias forces you to pick whatever meaning suits your narrative. Then that word itself has several possible definitions, and those and the original word's definitions don't exactly line up. Eventually you're not even talking about the same thing, but that's how you prefer to argue.

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 05:57 PM
Because the one touch "quote" function is so difficult as to sway you to type your paraphrase instead.

A word has several possible synonyms. You and a few others here use one of your choosing instead of the original word and then you set out arguing against it as if the original word became unavailable. Your bias forces you to pick whatever meaning suits your narrative. Then that word itself has several possible definitions, and those and the original word's definitions don't exactly line up. Eventually you're not even talking about the same thing, but that's how you prefer to argue.

You're just babbling now in an effort to shift the argument because you know you're wrong.

No research needed on that one :lol

DMC
11-23-2016, 06:14 PM
You're just babbling now in an effort to shift the argument because you know you're wrong.

No research needed on that one :lol

I try to refocus on the original comment. Many like you wander off into the wilderness and get lost. That's why you give up on it when you realize the trek back is going to be arduous.

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 06:24 PM
I try to refocus on the original comment. Many like you wander off into the wilderness and get lost. That's why you give up on it when you realize the trek back is going to be arduous.

I'm not giving up anything. CC said "What does the US Congress have to do with Gerrymandering?", which is a fucking ridiculous statement. You butted in with some incorrect bullshit.

Now go shitpost in another thread. You lost this one.

DMX7
11-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Luckily Wyoming people are smarter than Calif people

There is more brain power in Silicon Valley alone than there is in many countries.

CosmicCowboy
11-23-2016, 11:09 PM

Quit acting like a dumbass. States set the congressional districts every 10 years after the census.

Us Congressional action has nothing to do with gerrymandering.

Congressional control is a result, not a cause.

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 11:18 PM
Quit acting like a dumbass. States set the congressional districts every 10 years after the census.

Us Congressional action has nothing to do with gerrymandering.

Congressional control is a result, not a cause.

No shit congressional control is a result. CN was suggesting that the RESULT of gerrymandering was ok with democrats when democrats were doing the gerrymandering.

You jumped in like a dumbass and asked what the US Congress has to with gerrymandering. That's a fucking stupid question. The US congress is the beneficiary of gerrymandering.

CosmicCowboy
11-23-2016, 11:26 PM
No shit congressional control is a result. CN was suggesting that the RESULT of gerrymandering was ok with democrats when democrats were doing the gerrymandering.

You jumped in like a dumbass and asked what the US Congress has to with gerrymandering. That's a fucking stupid question. The US congress is the beneficiary of gerrymandering.

In a political forum I normally assume I don't have to spell out basic details about how gerrymandering is created by both parties. I guess you are the exception. 1960s democrats gerrymandered Texas districts. 2000's republicans do. 2000's democrats gerrymander New York districts. Is what it is.

Th'Pusher
11-23-2016, 11:48 PM
Cry more. Funny how gerrymandering wasn't an issue when the Democrats gerrymandered their way to a 40-year stranglehold on Congress. It only became a big issue when the Republicans pulled their head out of their ass and started beating the Dems at their own game.

Slurping repeat.

WTF?

In a political forum I normally assume I don't have to spell out basic details about how gerrymandering is created by both parties. I guess you are the exception. 1960s democrats gerrymandered Texas districts. 2000's republicans do. 2000's democrats gerrymander New York districts. Is what it is.

:lol we're not discussing the basics of gerrymandering.

I understand how it works and that both parties do it. But, when you read the above, it's pretty obvious you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. What does the US Congress have to do with gerrymandering you ask? It's the fucking primary beneficiary which is exactly what CN was suggesting and pgardn was questioning.

Just rub DMC's old balls a little. The two of you need to pretend this thread didn't happen because you both look really stupid.

Walk away.

CosmicCowboy
11-24-2016, 10:34 AM
:lol we're not discussing the basics of gerrymandering.

I understand how it works and that both parties do it. But, when you read the above, it's pretty obvious you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. What does the US Congress have to do with gerrymandering you ask? It's the fucking primary beneficiary which is exactly what CN was suggesting and pgardn was questioning.

Just rub DMC's old balls a little. The two of you need to pretend this thread didn't happen because you both look really stupid.

Walk away.

:lmao

If you agree that representation in congress is due to census driven gerrymangering by the states why are you arguing with me? Thats exactly what I said.

You certainly are an unreasonably argumentative little bitch.

Spurminator
11-24-2016, 10:44 AM
:lmao

If you agree that representation in congress is due to census driven gerrymangering by the states

"Census driven" seems to be the fundamental disagreement here.

CosmicCowboy
11-24-2016, 10:54 AM
"Census driven" seems to be the fundamental disagreement here.

Really? Why? The number of States representantives rise and fall every 10 years when the census comes out which means district lines have to be redrawn. The party currently in power in the State redraws the lines. As Obama said, elections matter.

Our country is called the United STATES for a reason. In the great constitutional compromise that created the US, States reserved a lot of power. thus the Electoral system and Gerrymandering.

The question Democrats should be asking themselves is why do 30 plus states elect Republican state officers?

Spurminator
11-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Really? Why? The number of States representantives rise and fall every 10 years when the census comes out which means district lines have to be redrawn. The party currently in power in the State redraws the lines. As Obama said, elections matter.

Right. The redistricting is census-timed and the party in power redraws the lines, usually in a way that gives them an advantage in future elections. We all know this.

The question is do half of us say "tough shit" when it benefits our side while the other cries "bullshit" or do we all agree that it's kind of bullshit both ways? The former seems like lazy partisan cheerleading to me. The intent of redistricting is to rebalance voting districts based on the census, not based on strategic vote manipulation.

Bender
11-24-2016, 11:09 AM
There is more brain power in Silicon Valley alone than there is in many countries.

regarding political brain power, Calif scores -0-, Silicon Valley or not.

DMX7
11-24-2016, 11:46 AM
regarding political brain power, Calif scores -0-, Silicon Valley or not.

lol, based on what?

dbestpro
11-24-2016, 11:25 PM

In a republic, the voting responsibility is greater than one man one vote. This is why we are a republic of individual states each with measured responsibility. You can always move to Wyoming if it bothers you so much.
Also, California has 17.9 million registered voters, while Texas had 15 million registered voters. Texas only gets 38 electoral votes to California's 55. 20% greater voting population, but over 40% more votes. Seems to balance out in the end.

Drachen
11-25-2016, 01:34 AM

Instead of OH and FL

DMX7
11-25-2016, 05:08 AM
In a republic, the voting responsibility is greater than one man one vote. This is why we are a republic of individual states each with measured responsibility. You can always move to Wyoming if it bothers you so much.
Also, California has 17.9 million registered voters, while Texas had 15 million registered voters. Texas only gets 38 electoral votes to California's 55. 20% greater voting population, but over 40% more votes. Seems to balance out in the end.

Actually, it doesn't seem to balance out in the end or we wouldn't have the loser of the popular vote winning the election for the 2nd time in 5 presidential elections. And I suppose anyone could move to Wyoming or we could do the more reasonable thing and change the system (or at least make the representation for each state more in line with its population when selecting a president).

CosmicCowboy
11-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Actually, it doesn't seem to balance out in the end or we wouldn't have the loser of the popular vote winning the election for the 2nd time in 5 presidential elections. And I suppose anyone could move to Wyoming or we could do the more reasonable thing and change the system (or at least make the representation for each state more in line with its population when selecting a president).

So do you propose doing away with the Senate?

It's the same popular vote theory.

pgardn
11-25-2016, 11:02 AM

For the 2nd time since 1888 as well.

DMX7
11-25-2016, 04:46 PM
So do you propose doing away with the Senate?

It's the same popular vote theory.

I'm more ok with the senate than the electoral college because the senate is only one house of a bicameral legislature.

Thread
11-25-2016, 04:49 PM
I'm more ok with the senate than the electoral college because the senate is only one house of a bicameral legislature.

Bend over. I'll give ya some fuckin' bicaramel.

Winehole23
11-27-2016, 09:15 AM
In a political forum I normally assume I don't have to spell out basic details about how gerrymandering is created by both parties. I guess you are the exception. 1960s democrats gerrymandered Texas districts. 2000's republicans do. 2000's democrats gerrymander New York districts. Is what it is.some states have non-partisan redistricting boards. might be a preferable system.