PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson: Letter To My Younger Self

bklynspursfan
11-22-2016, 11:30 AM
D-Rob with a letter to his younger self via The Players Tribune

Dear 18-year-old David,

Please allow me to give you fair warning about something from the future.
Tomorrow morning, you’re going to take your first swim test at the U.S. Naval Academy. Believe it or not, the Navy requires plebes to actually be able to swim.

Of course, you know that part already. You’re in good shape, right? What’s a little morning swim?

But what you might not realize is just how long 20 minutes of treading water feels like.

That’s right, 20 minutes.

When you first get into the pool, you’re going to be feeling good. But after 10 minutes, your arms and legs are going to be burning so bad you’ll want to quit. After 15? I don’t even want to tell you.

But you’ll think about your dad, and what he’d say if you failed, and you’ll find a way to keep your head above water for 20 minutes.

The only problem is, you’re not done yet. Your stone-faced water survival instructor will bark, “Alright, next up: 100-meter crawl stroke.”

There’s no break. There’s no, “Sir, can I catch my wind?”

You are overboard in deep open water without a PFD (personal floatation device), or at least that’s what your instructor is yelling. Sink or swim, plebe.
You choose to swim.

More: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/letter-to-my-younger-self-david-robinson/

SPURt
11-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks for sharing! It's really interesting to see D Rob do this thought exercise. He's an unusually selfless human.

Brazil
11-22-2016, 12:23 PM
kinda cool tbh :tu

Spur|n|Austin
11-22-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks for posting!

lefty
11-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Did he tell his younger self to not be a bible chasing phaggot?

apalisoc_9
11-22-2016, 12:34 PM
Player tribune where guys who can barely right a simple essay become good writers...

Beliving in peronal narratives...not self serving at all. :rolleyes

urunobili
11-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Anything D-Rob I dig! thanks for sharing!

CGD
11-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Beautiful, thanks

Ruler
11-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Player tribune where guys who can barely right a simple easy become good writers...

Wait.. did you just insult players for not being able to "right" a simple "easy"? :lol

Fireball
11-22-2016, 01:59 PM
I had to swim 30 minutes in a pool when I was 10 years old to get the "3rd swim grade" ... I hope he had to make a certain pace otherwise its not that hard to do.

apalisoc_9
11-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Wait.. did you just insult players for not being able to "right" a simple "easy"? :lol

Im writing on a messageboard with a phone. I dobt give a fuck if I make a mistake or not.

Dex
11-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Player tribune where guys who can barely right a simple essay become good writers...

:lmao You can't even get two sentences right after one edit.

David Robinson is a college graduate, Navy veteran, preacher, philanthropist, and business owner (of a charter school).

Not to mention a two-time gold-medal olympian and two-time NBA champion.

I'm pretty sure he can write a well-worded letter.

What the fuck have you done with your life to think you can judge him?

apalisoc_9
11-22-2016, 02:06 PM
But david is so good :cry

The good christian :cry

apalisoc_9
11-22-2016, 02:10 PM
College graduate :lmao

Ben simmons exposed an athletes education in American college :lmao

GSH
11-22-2016, 02:25 PM
College graduate :lmao

Ben simmons exposed an athletes education in American college :lmao

The Naval Academy hands out worthless degrees. The existence of Ben Simmons proves it. :rolleyes

bklynspursfan
11-22-2016, 02:31 PM

I noticed that too :reading

GSH
11-22-2016, 02:43 PM

LOL... both Apo and Dabom are all agitated today. Nurse Ratched must have taken away their cigarettes again.

http://www.onfieldsofgreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/7110692_orig.jpg

Phenomanul
11-22-2016, 03:02 PM

David Robinson is a college graduate, Navy veteran, preacher, philanthropist, and business owner (of a charter school).

Not just any college degree... a degree in Civil Engineering...

How many NBA players, let alone marquee players, can say they've earned an ENGINEERING degree...? Probably fewer than 5.

apalisoc_9
11-22-2016, 03:25 PM
A degree as a a college athelete :lmao

Seventyniner
11-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Not just any college degree... a degree in Civil Engineering...

How many NBA players, let alone marquee players, can say they've earned an ENGINEERING degree...? Probably fewer than 5.

I thought David's degree was in math.

Anyway, that Ben Simmons comparison is completely asinine. David actually graduated; I'd be surprised if Ben Simmons even set foot in a classroom at LSU.

Ice009
11-22-2016, 10:14 PM
What exactly did Ben Simmons say? I'd like to read it. I'm always amazed that some of these NBA players went to college, since it doesn't seem to me like they learned anything (that's not in reference to all, just some). I'd like to get some insight into how it is for athlete college students.

apalisoc_9
11-22-2016, 10:24 PM
What exactly did Ben Simmons say? I'd like to read it. I'm always amazed that some of these NBA players went to college, since it doesn't seem to me like they learned anything (that's not in reference to all, just some). I'd like to get some insight into how it is for athlete college students.

Basically atheltes pass their courses without going to class at all. Ben Simmons is not the only guy who has actually said this. Its not of the players or the univeristy interest to occupy these athletes with time consuming classes.

Morons who actually think athletes earned their degress need to be shot in the head for their stupidity.

At most they will take exams and the univeristy will stil pass them even if they dont know the dofference between the letter A or b.

gilmor
11-22-2016, 10:48 PM
Actually Robinson will be better than Trump as President

apalisoc_9
11-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Not a trump supporter, but he's actually pretty smart man. You'd be stupid to think otherwise...only problem is, he only cares about his brand..so USA isnfucked.

Silver&Black
11-22-2016, 10:56 PM

Dex

Wu36
11-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Dear apalisoc_9,

You will soon crave your aunt, want to trade Kawhi for Beal and Ariza, start many useless threads on spurstalk. I right to you from the future. Please don't do any of it. Stop righting and everything will be all write. Don't tell people what you feel as they wont care. But do play Pokemon Go!

DMC
11-23-2016, 01:59 AM
D-Rob with a letter to his younger self via The Players Tribune

Dear 18-year-old David,

Please allow me to give you fair warning about something from the future.
Tomorrow morning, you’re going to take your first swim test at the U.S. Naval Academy. Believe it or not, the Navy requires plebes to actually be able to swim.

Of course, you know that part already. You’re in good shape, right? What’s a little morning swim?

But what you might not realize is just how long 20 minutes of treading water feels like.

That’s right, 20 minutes.

When you first get into the pool, you’re going to be feeling good. But after 10 minutes, your arms and legs are going to be burning so bad you’ll want to quit. After 15? I don’t even want to tell you.

But you’ll think about your dad, and what he’d say if you failed, and you’ll find a way to keep your head above water for 20 minutes.

The only problem is, you’re not done yet. Your stone-faced water survival instructor will bark, “Alright, next up: 100-meter crawl stroke.”

There’s no break. There’s no, “Sir, can I catch my wind?”

You are overboard in deep open water without a PFD (personal floatation device), or at least that’s what your instructor is yelling. Sink or swim, plebe.
You choose to swim.

More: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/letter-to-my-younger-self-david-robinson/
What kept his head above water was his undying will to proselytize to others in the pool.

JohnnyMax
11-23-2016, 02:20 AM
YaG5SAw1n0c

james evans
11-23-2016, 02:28 AM
he should have wrote a letter to his 29 year old self saying,

"Dear 29 year old David. You have been awarded the NBA regular season MVP. Talk to the Spurs organization and have the commissioner not present that to you before the Houston Rockets series. Also, don't go for ever Hakeem fake that series when he shows you the ball. I know it's easier said than done, but that's right, stay on your feet. Also, next year during the All Star Game there in San Antonio, Shaq is going to attempt a dunk in the 4th quarter. Wrap him up before he leaves the ground, because you have no chance of blocking it. "

pookenstein
11-23-2016, 02:36 AM
Dear apalisoc_9,

You will soon crave your aunt, want to trade Kawhi for Beal and Ariza, start many useless threads on spurstalk. I right to you from the future. Please don't do any of it. Stop righting and everything will be all write. Don't tell people what you feel as they wont care. But do play Pokemon Go!

:lol

lefty
11-23-2016, 08:54 AM
Phaggot invited Rodman to dinner to try to brainwash him with the Bible

:lmao are ytou fucking kidding me, what a POS

Phenomanul
11-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Phaggot invited Rodman to dinner to try to brainwash him with the Bible

:lmao are ytou fucking kidding me, what a POS

Says the guy that supports ISIS and the beheading of Christians... the rape of little girls... the burning of children...

The guy that defended the actions of Al Qaeda on 9/11

Yeah you're a real role model for integrity and a stanchion of truth... :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

lefty
11-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Says the guy that supports ISIS and the beheading of Christians... the rape of little girls... the burning of children...

The guy that defended the actions of Al Qaeda on 9/11

Yeah you're a real role model for integrity and a stanchion of truth... :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

See?

People like you are the problem

UZER
11-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Love David but these things are so stupid.

Phenomanul
11-23-2016, 10:20 AM
See?

People like you are the problem

Why...? For calling out your wanton hypocrisy...?

FromWayDowntown
11-23-2016, 10:50 AM
I love the effort to equate the Naval Academy's approach to athletics and athletes to LSU's.

"Those athletes at Yale and Harvard can't right easys, either. There college athletes and I saw that Ben Simmons doc."

lefty
11-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Why...? For calling out your wanton hypocrisy...?
lol

That's rich coming from a terrerist

Phenomanul
11-23-2016, 05:20 PM
lol

That's rich coming from a terrerist

The only terrorist sympathizer here is you...

lefty
11-23-2016, 10:13 PM
The only terrorist sympathizer here is you...

You're too modest Phenomabdul

apalisoc_9
11-23-2016, 10:16 PM
You're too modest Phenomabdul

Americans are so culturally aware of the world...

lefty
11-23-2016, 11:54 PM
Americans are so culturally aware of the world...

That's why Murica is #1 !

Fuck yeah!

Klinsmann was obviously the problem, our soccerballthingy players are too good!

50Bestspurever
11-24-2016, 05:07 AM
hated his bible thumping ways, but in the big picture of life, he will change the lives for the better more than all the rotten posters on this message board can ever do. lol