PDA

View Full Version : Fat Head ranked #1 overall among SGs in DRPM

Kawhitstorm
11-23-2016, 06:04 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2 :wow

He was ranked 3rd last season: http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2016/sort/DRPM/position/2

Hopefully, there is a team that's balls deep in analytics that will give up a 1st rd pick for him.:lol (Maybe D'Antoni thinks he can turn him into '05-'06 Boris): http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12331388/the-great-analytics-rankings

Solid D
11-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Kyle has always been an above average rebounder, no question.

dabom
11-23-2016, 06:09 PM
He's not even a SG. :lol

ESPN. :lol

Kawhitstorm
11-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Kyle has always been an above average rebounder, no question.

DRPM is defensive rating not defensive rebounding.:lol

Kawhitstorm
11-23-2016, 06:13 PM

He was basically categorized as a SG when he started in place of Danny.

Raven
11-23-2016, 06:14 PM

http://www.82games.com/1617/16SAS8.HTM#bypos

Solid D
11-23-2016, 06:15 PM

Well, he took Danny's slot at the start of the year and he plays both wing slots...but true, he's not a typical SG.

sasaint
11-23-2016, 06:23 PM

He was ranked 3rd last season: http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2016/sort/DRPM/position/2

Hopefully, there is a team that's balls deep in analytics that will give up a 1st rd pick for him.:lol (Maybe D'Antoni thinks he can turn him into '05-'06 Boris): http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12331388/the-great-analytics-rankings

:tu However, even though there are teams that probably would take him in a trade, I'm not sure a D'Antoni calls up Pop to initiate a trade for Kyle. I also doubt that Pop calls up D'Antoni to initiate trading Kyle for a first round pick. While this a season when I think PATFO should be aggressive in the trade market, I just never expect them to make any deals. That way, I am usually not disappointed. :lol

Cklbmk
11-23-2016, 06:24 PM
His length has always allowed him to be exceptional defensively.

No shock. He just needs the ball more to be unleashed

TheGreatYacht
11-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Dude gets torched by every player he's assigned to :lol anybody in the game threads knows this.

Hopefully a GM bites on this fraud metric tbh

SAGirl
11-23-2016, 06:25 PM
Hopefully dude keeps improving. :tu

Solid D
11-23-2016, 06:27 PM
I wonder if Kyle went to Pop's secret town meeting.

SAGirl
11-23-2016, 06:28 PM
:tu However, even though there are teams that probably would take him in a trade, I'm not sure a D'Antoni calls up Pop to initiate a trade for Kyle. I also doubt that Pop calls up D'Antoni to initiate trading Kyle for a first round pick. While this a season when I think PATFO should be aggressive in the trade market, I just never expect them to make any deals. That way, I am usually not disappointed. :lolI don't expect deals either, though one never knows its just unlikely there is anything team altering on trading guys that are still at the edge of the rotation when everyone is healthy. For something more significant your have to trade more salary IMO. Maybe next season I am thinking

TD 21
11-23-2016, 06:40 PM
Well, he took Danny's slot at the start of the year and he plays both wing slots...but true, he's not a typical SG.

Only in a literal sense. In reality, Leonard essentially slid down to shooting guard. Clearly, Anderson is a combo forward defensively and can't guard the majority of top opposition perimeter players.

The same idiots who treat this stat as the gospel dismiss it when it suggests that Duncan had the biggest defensive impact in the league in recent seasons.

Solid D
11-23-2016, 07:04 PM
Only in a literal sense.

I think you meant to say "in a figurative sense."

TD 21
11-23-2016, 07:07 PM
I think you meant to say "in a figurative sense."

No, Anderson literally took Green's spot in the starting lineup, when he was injured.

Solid D
11-23-2016, 07:10 PM
In reality, Leonard essentially slid down to shooting guard. Clearly, Anderson is a combo forward defensively and can't guard the majority of top opposition perimeter players.

When not in transition, but as I'm sure you know, Leonard usually takes the toughest match defensively. Offensively, 2 & 3 are pretty much the same, literally and figuratively.

dabom
11-23-2016, 07:11 PM
When not in transition, but as I'm sure you know, Leonard usually takes the toughest match defensively. Offensively, 2 & 3 are pretty much the same, literally and figuratively.

GSH
11-23-2016, 07:21 PM

So we're saying Fathead is a 2? Enquiring minds want to know.

Solid D
11-23-2016, 07:26 PM
So we're saying Fathead is a 2? Enquiring minds want to know.

ESPN seems to think so...but I think Kyle is just trying to be an NBA basketball player.

Chinook
11-23-2016, 07:29 PM
Yeah. He was a two. He played their defensively. But it really doesn't matter. The scores aren't dependent on position.

GSH
11-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Yeah. He was a two. He played their defensively. But it really doesn't matter. The scores aren't dependent on position.

Comparing him to other 2's depends on him being a 2.

DAF86
11-23-2016, 07:55 PM
For all the bitching about Kyle this season (totally deserved on offense, tbh), I did notice he has been pretty damn good on defense.

Chinook
11-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Comparing him to other 2's depends on him being a 2.

At least last time I looked, he would be sixth for SFs. Still elite. The score doesn't depend on position, but positional ranking would, obviously.

dabom
11-23-2016, 08:03 PM
Good thing we rate players on Offense and Defense. Not some bullshit half full thing. Dude is a dud. Anyone can see this.

ElNono
11-23-2016, 08:19 PM
I don't care if they use Hillary's computers to calculate these numbers, some GM better bite and send us a nice trade proposal...

GSH
11-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Good thing we rate players on Offense and Defense. Not some bullshit half full thing. Dude is a dud. Anyone can see this.

Check your phone. Bruce Bowen has a message for you.

dabom
11-23-2016, 08:33 PM
He said he was a positive impact player. :tu

Spurs9
11-23-2016, 09:06 PM

:lmao

TheGreatYacht
11-23-2016, 09:35 PM
This guy got 30 seconds of playing time today and got blown by twice.

:lol advanced metrics
:lol Daryl Morey philosophy

Raven
11-23-2016, 09:36 PM
after today, I'd say he should get 30mpg tbh

Spurs9
11-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Fat GMs going off ESPN NBA 2k video game metrics

DAF86
11-23-2016, 11:50 PM

If Anderson could shoot the three like Bowen he would probably be starting.

tholdren
11-25-2016, 03:20 PM
this is why advanced stats are mis-interpreted and used by people like you and chinook

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Top 3 in DRPM for SGs: http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2

1) Fat Head
2) Simmons
3) D-League Danny

:lobt:

SAGirl
12-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Top 3 in DRPM for SGs: http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2

1) Fat Head
2) Simmons
3) D-League Danny

:lobt:
:toast This just shows the Spurs defensive problems come in the paint and the rim... for the most part the wings are doing their job.
PG defense is weak as well...

Robz4000
12-07-2016, 10:11 PM
:toast This just shows the Spurs defensive problems come in the paint and the rim... for the most part the wings are doing their job.
PG defense is weak as well...

Gasol is actually relatively high on the list in DRPM, as is Lee. Kawhi, OTOH, isn't even sniffing the top 100. Think the defensive struggles have to do with Kawhi's new focus on offense. Hopefully as LMA gets into shape and starts doing more of the heavy lifting on offense Kawhi's defense picks up. If that happens things will even themselves out; if not then it emphasizes the need for a playmaking guard.

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Gasol is actually relatively high on the list in DRPM, as is Lee. Kawhi, OTOH, isn't even sniffing the top 100. Think the defensive struggles have to do with Kawhi's new focus on offense. Hopefully as LMA gets into shape and starts doing more of the heavy lifting on offense Kawhi's defense picks up. If that happens things will even themselves out; if not then it emphasizes the need for a playmaking guard.

You're telling me Kyle/Simmons are playing better defense than Kawhi?:lmao

It has to do w/ them playing w/ Dedmon who leads the team in DRPM. Danny also missed some of the early blowout such as the Cripples/Jazz game where the starters got run off the floor.

Robz4000
12-07-2016, 10:50 PM
You're telling me Kyle/Simmons are playing better defense than Kawhi?:lmao

It has to do w/ them playing w/ Dedmon who leads the team in DRPM. Danny also missed some of the early blowout such as the Cripples/Jazz game where the starters got run off the floor.

Kawhi has played plenty with Dedmon as well tbh. Many of us have made note of his drop off on D this year; it's understandable when you look at his offensive load so far.

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Kawhi has played plenty with Dedmon as well tbh. Many of us have made note of his drop off on D this year; it's understandable when you look at his offensive load so far.

Everyone that has played a lot of minutes w/ Pau aka the starters have a negative on/off number.:lol

The best defensive lineup has been:

-Dedmon
-LMA
-Kawhi
-Simmons
-Patty

...that's the line-up that run the Duds off their own court. Danny is the one that fell off but the shitty DRPM metric will tell you otherwise such as Pau being a plus defender.:lol

bklynspursfan
12-07-2016, 11:00 PM

A drop-off from the level he was still puts him ahead of most guys. Hes that good on that end. Just one of those stats that should be taken with context imo.

Robz4000
12-07-2016, 11:02 PM
A drop-off from the level he was still puts him ahead of most guys. Hes that good on that end. Just one of those stats that should be taken with context imo.

Still a big drop off nonetheless. Spurs are gonna need that level of defense if they wanna do anything this year.

SAGirl
12-07-2016, 11:10 PM
Agreed, and Kyle probably still overall played more with Pau than with Dedmon bc once Danny returned from his injuries his minutes have been inconsistent and dropped off dramatically. Since then he has been on plenty of end of the game garbage time lineups that are horrible on defense.... that is why I said Kyle was holding his own individually. If anything Simms is the one to be playing the most with Dedmon, and his improvement on defense has been noticeable individually as well. I think each of these 3, Kyle, Simms, Danny have been doing their job.

If we want to look at defensive problems, one has to look elsewhere. Kawhi has been inconsistent. He can turn it on when he wants to, but he's expending a lot of energy on offense right now.

Also Gasol probably gets a boost bc of rebounding but his contests at the rim are really weak. Timmy last season was at over 5.0 in drpm.. Pau at slightly over 1 point makes for a marked reduction in rim protection.

Lamarcus has declined. I think he has lately turned it up, but he was also inconsistent to start the season.

bklynspursfan
12-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Still a big drop off nonetheless. Spurs are gonna need that level of defense if they wanna do anything this year.

Idk if it's a big drop-off, at least from the effort he's putting in. It's probably an adjustment for him knowing TD isn't back there anymore. He's still getting his steals and being disruptive.

To say Anderson or Simmons have been better defensively, I just am not sure about that. Anderson has been ok, but he still has too many lapses and gets caught ball watching, and Simmons plays with a ton of energy, but he too is late to rotations at times or gambles.

I appreciate these advanced statistics, and think they're useful, but context and obviously the eye test are important too

Robz4000
12-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Idk if it's a big drop-off, at least from the effort he's putting in. It's probably an adjustment for him knowing TD isn't back there anymore. He's still getting his steals and being disruptive.

To say Anderson or Simmons have been better defensively, I just am not sure about that. Anderson has been ok, but he still has too many lapses and gets caught ball watching, and Simmons plays with a ton of energy, but he too is late to rotations at times or gambles.

I appreciate these advanced statistics, and think they're useful, but context and obviously the eye test are important too

He went from having a DRPM of ~6 to under 1 between this season and last. That shouldn't happen even with the retirement of Timmy and addition of Gasol. Even by the eye test his defense has been subpar for him this year.

lilbthebasedgod
12-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Id say its very obvious that people underrate both Anderson's and Simmons' defenses.

I'm not sold that they are as good as these stats say, but Anderson Is very disruptive off ball and affects things with his height and length. He's also deceptively quick.

He has problems with small guards which makes for some obvious glaring bad plays, where his positive attributes are more hidden.

dabom
12-08-2016, 12:45 AM
He went from having a DRPM of ~6 to under 1 between this season and last. That shouldn't happen even with the retirement of Timmy and addition of Gasol. Even by the eye test his defense has been subpar for him this year.

Eye test says he's great you stupid fuck. :lmao

TimDunkem
12-08-2016, 12:45 AM
Anderson Is very disruptive off ball and affects things with his height and length. He's also deceptively quick.

:lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 12:47 AM
Eye test says he's great you stupid fuck. :lmao

:cry you disagree with me so fuck you !!!!!! :cry

dabom
12-08-2016, 12:49 AM
:cry you disagree with me so fuck you !!!!!! :cry

Kawhi is all defensive team right now you stupid fuck. :lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Kawhi is all defensive team right now you stupid fuck. :lmao

:cry Kiwi is da bestest ever fuk yu :cry

dabom
12-08-2016, 12:55 AM
:cry Kiwi is da bestest ever fuk yu :cry

Look man, we know you're a gutless fan. :lmao

Biased cuck. :lol

Thanks for saying something so fucking retarded I can actually bump it everytime for laughs. :lol

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 12:58 AM
Look man, we know you're a gutless fan. :lmao

Biased cuck. :lol

Thanks for saying something so fucking retarded I can actually bump it everytime for laughs. :lol

Thanks for posting anything of value in this forum, ever...:lol wait, nevermind.

:lmao pot calling the kettle black

Thankfully no one has to do much looking to find one of your awful posts, they litter the board en masse.

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:01 AM
Thanks for posting anything of value in this forum, ever...:lol wait, nevermind.

Thankfully no one has to do much looking to find one of your awful posts, they litter the board en masse.

No one actually thinks you're funny, but keep trying retard. :lmao

I don't even remember one good take from you. :lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 01:04 AM
No one actually thinks you're funny, but keep trying retard. :lmao

I don't even remember one good take from you. :lmao

OP always makes the best write ups. :lol

You're not very good at this, are you?

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:08 AM

Almost like I post nothing of value according to you. So it must be meaningless. :lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Almost like I post nothing of value according to you. So it must be meaningless. :lmao

:lol much like this comeback, I guess

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:13 AM
:lol much like this comeback, I guess

Dang, you got zinged and this is all you can post. Much like your takes cuck. :lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 01:21 AM
Dang, you got zinged and this is all you can post. Much like your takes cuck. :lmao

:lol I guess the damage done by your own post must be jarring, you're sticking with the same insult over and over now; it does get thrown around here quite often I suppose, you must've liked the way it sounded.

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:23 AM
You've never posted an "ahead of the curve" take. Your fathead and Simmons is better than kawhi defensively don't count. :lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 01:28 AM

Benoit
12-08-2016, 01:30 AM
Autist would be the 5th best defender on the Dubs lmao he looks better than he is on the spurs because they dont have any standout defenders like klay or iggy

Dray's defense stands out even with those guys on the team

dabom
So now I post with substance. If that's the case, you're a cuck. Quote me on that one. :lmao

dabom
Autist would be the 5th best defender on the Dubs lmao he looks better than he is on the spurs because they dont have any standout defenders like klay or iggy

Where was that defense first game of the year? O yeah..., :lmao

Benoit
12-08-2016, 01:32 AM
lmao first game of the year when nobody is trying

we saw what happened last year and the spurs didnt add notable players for this season

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 01:32 AM
So now I post with substance. If that's the case, you're a cuck. Quote me on that one. :lmao

If I quoted you on all your posts, all there'd be is cuck cuck cuck cuck mothercuck...

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:33 AM
lmao first game of the year when nobody is trying

we saw what happened last year and the spurs didnt add notable players for this season

We also saw the warriors get cucked on live tv when it mattered. :lmao

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:34 AM
If I quoted you on all your posts, all there'd be is cuck cuck cuck cuck mothercuck...

Look tbh, I still don't ever remember one good take from you. :lmao

Benoit
12-08-2016, 01:40 AM
all this guy does is post emojis and talk about cucking lmao

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:41 AM

Laker fans posting about Warriors. Too scared to have it below your avatar. :lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 01:48 AM
Look tbh, I still don't ever remember one good take from you. :lmao

I already did, and by your words no less :wow!!!!

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:50 AM
I already did, and by your words no less :wow!!!!

Calling Kyle and Parker, Fathead and Porker isn't a good take dumbass. :lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 01:52 AM
Calling Kyle and Parker, Fathead and Porker isn't a good take dumbass. :lmao

By your words it is though, sir.

dabom
12-08-2016, 01:55 AM
By your words it is though, sir.

Calling Kyle and Parker, porker and fathead is not a take. :lmao

Robz4000
12-08-2016, 01:56 AM
Calling Kyle and Parker, porker and fathead is not a take. :lmao

Whatever you say, champ.

Kawhitstorm
12-08-2016, 11:30 AM

You mean like LeBron on social media?:lol

http://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2016/11/01/65dcc916-a7b6-4463-8f92-0ec61c45e790/thumbnail/770x433/89ef45b35208901f78858839caf6d3f3/lebroncookies.jpg

Brazil
12-08-2016, 12:13 PM
:lol let get this one straight tbh

Anderson plays half of his time SG, rest is between SF and PF, he plays 14 mpg so 7 mn at SG position, wow thats some impressive shit right there... Too bad Spurs can just use that DRPM only 7 mn a game... :cry

TheGreatYacht
12-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Everyone that has played a lot of minutes w/ Pau aka the starters have a negative on/off number.:lol

The best defensive lineup has been:

-Dedmon
-LMA
-Kawhi
-Simmons
-Patty

...that's the line-up that run the Duds off their own court. Danny is the one that fell off but the shitty DRPM metric will tell you otherwise such as Pau being a plus defender.:lol
Been saying this for awhile, tbh..

Pop has to use Dedmon, Leonard, Simmons more together

HarlemHeat37
12-08-2016, 12:56 PM
RPM is kind of useless when isolated as offense vs. defense, tbh..it's much more accurate as an overall stat..regardless, too early to make conclusions, despite prior years being taken into consideration to form the number..

Duncan to Gasol has been a major dropoff for the Spurs' defense..

ISO situations:

http://oi63.tinypic.com/16l9p4k.jpg

Pick&Roll ball-handlers:

http://i65.tinypic.com/2it215e.jpg

Kawhi has seen major dropoffs in ISO defense and a small dropoff in pick&roll D, but it's too early to be concerned, small sample size..some decline was going to be natural with the increase in offensive responsibility, although there was no way he could sustain his pick&roll D dominance from the past 2 seasons, which was historically great..

Green's defensive weakness is where it's always been, which is defending through screens(struggles to defend players like Redick, Beal, that just run through screens all game)..

Simmons' has been relatively poor at defending the pick&roll and has gotten killed by bigger offensive players inside..

Obviously it should be noted that Green, Leonard and Parker play against starters most of the time, while Anderson, Simmons and Mills are opposed by bench-caliber players(although Patty's minutes are almost split, at this point)..

Very small sample size that will probably look completely different in 2 months, though(irrelevant in regards to this thread, though, as we're discussing current defensive problems)

Chinook
12-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Numbers saying Green's the best one-on-one defender on the team? What else is new? :wakeup

I wouldn't be too concerned with Kawhi's abysmal numbers, though. Dude still has that intimidation factor going for him. Guys aren't going to try to take him unless he makes a mistake.

And Kyle is putting in a fantastic defensive season. But of course, he's too slow to play in the league.

Brazil
12-08-2016, 01:47 PM
And Kyle is putting in a fantastic defensive season.

:lol fantastic is selling it short imo, try historical

Kawhitstorm
12-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Very small sample size that will probably look completely different in 2 months, though(irrelevant in regards to this thread, though, as we're discussing current defensive problems)

D-Lee w/ those Draymond numbers.:lol

spursistan
12-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Kawhi picking up the D the last 3 games :tu

bklynspursfan
12-09-2016, 04:41 PM
adv stats are weird sometimes

Spurtacular
12-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Pad his stats (if that's possible), and then see if there are any suckers.

Kawhitstorm
12-13-2016, 11:16 PM
Simmons now #1 just ahead of Tony Allen (Juice has a better overall RPM: http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2 :wow)

Robz4000
12-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Good shit by Simmons. His evolution as a player has been fun to watch.

spursistan
12-13-2016, 11:27 PM
Simmons now #1 just ahead of Tony Allen (Juice has a better overall RPM: http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2 :wow)
Simms lowkey improved his D this year..He's also become fearsome in transition especially when trailing opponents ala DG :lol..

Kawhitstorm
12-30-2016, 11:28 PM

Still #1, w/ Simmons at #2 & Danny at #5.:toast

Chinook
12-30-2016, 11:59 PM
Kinda crazy that Kyle and Jonathon have both been bad on O according to RPM. In general, advanced stats seem to hate the Spurs this season.

Mr. Body
12-31-2016, 12:41 AM
Kinda crazy that Kyle and Jonathon have both been bad on O according to RPM. In general, advanced stats seem to hate the Spurs this season.

Yeah, Kawhi's DRPM is not that great.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2016, 01:11 AM

Kyle has been exactly impressive on offense.:lol

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2016, 01:12 AM
Yeah, Kawhi's DRPM is not that great.

It has been creeping up since he starting line-up picked it up in December.

GSH
12-31-2016, 01:13 AM
Fat Head ranked #1 overall among SGs in DRPM

Now... if only Kyle was a SG, that would mean something.

Kawhitstorm
12-31-2016, 01:14 AM

He sure does stand out in this poster:

Tza4OL-ymx0

SAGirl
12-31-2016, 01:42 AM

This is hilarious... almost as if it was a shtick... but it's not.
It's Pop's shtick..

Raven
12-31-2016, 01:01 PM

he becomes 9th overall between sg and sf, so still pretty great. Now one can hate on it or just accept it and be happy ..

Kawhitstorm
01-22-2017, 01:41 AM
Kyle/Simmons/Manu/Danny all in the top 10 & Kyle has a better RPM than the #1 ranked player (Tony Allen): http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/2