PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be something special

maverick1948
11-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Davis Bertans

This kid is going to be a special player when he gets minutes. Tonight showed he is getting comfortable with the Spurs. 3/3 from 3 pt. and a huge dunk. On the other end he got a strong block. Only bad spot, he had 2 TO. All this in 11 minutes.

coachmac87
11-23-2016, 09:47 PM
It's all about confidence with this kid. Once he realizes he belongs he will go to another level. I find his defensive potential the most impressive tbh

SpurPadre
11-23-2016, 09:50 PM
He can be a good role player but special? Not likely.

cutewizard
11-23-2016, 09:52 PM
:bobo

:lobt2:

cjw
11-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Good role player is good enough for me

Pop left him out there while Charlotte was making its run. Prefer that to a quick pull of the leash

sasaint
11-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Along with Simmons, Bertans is relegating Kyle to the end of the bench.

DAF86
11-23-2016, 09:58 PM
He can be a good role player but special? Not likely.

I could see him as a very vital piece on a contender. Maybe not an all-star, but then again, when you realize that folks like Kyle Korver made the all-star team you think: "why not?"

Pop needs to somehow find a place for Bertans in the rotation when Dedmon gets back. If it means him playing SF, so be it. The development of Bertans is what could give this team another gear.

TheGreatYacht
11-23-2016, 10:07 PM
That something special will cost a lot of money to retain in the offseason :depressed

Especially with PATFO thinking they'll be alright with Fathead on contract smh

SAGirl
11-23-2016, 10:24 PM
That something special will cost a lot of money to retain in the offseason :depressed

Especially with PATFO thinking they'll be alright with Fathead on contract smh
He's on a 2 year deal dude... quit whining.

SpurPadre
11-23-2016, 10:28 PM
I could see him as a very vital piece on a contender. Maybe not an all-star, but then again, when you realize that folks like Kyle Korver made the all-star team you think: "why not?"

Pop needs to somehow find a place for Bertans in the rotation when Dedmon gets back. If it means him playing SF, so be it. The development of Bertans is what could give this team another gear.

Agreed that he needs minutes when Dedmon comes back, hopefully at the expense of Anderson.

TheGreatYacht
11-23-2016, 10:32 PM
He's on a 2 year deal dude... quit whining.
Didn't know that... and who's whining? :lol

We fucking won. I'm not the one moody because my boy got less than a minute of playing time tonight

sasaint
11-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Agreed that he needs minutes when Dedmon comes back, hopefully at the expense of Anderson.

I think this game was an omen. Bertans (along with Simmons) is pushing Kyle to the end of the bench.

SpurPadre
11-23-2016, 11:03 PM
I think this game was an omen. Bertans (along with Simmons) is pushing Kyle to the end of the bench.

But Simmons isn't that much better than Anderson and that's a concern.

sasaint
11-23-2016, 11:20 PM
But Simmons isn't that much better than Anderson and that's a concern.

Simmons is considerably more athletic. Now he is showing the determination to learn what he needs to learn - namely discipline. With Kyle, on the other hand, I honestly do not see that his game has improved much since his arrival. He is showing the same passivity that he has since day one. Simmons' effort is obvious.

SpurPadre
11-23-2016, 11:28 PM
Simmons is considerably more athletic. Now he is showing the determination to learn what he needs to learn - namely discipline. With Kyle, on the other hand, I honestly do not see that his game has improved much since his arrival. He is showing the same passivity that he has since day one. Simmons' effort is obvious.

Shit, Danny Devito is more athletic than Anderson. The thing with Simmons is that he's entering his prime and he's still got a ways to go from being polished. His Dubs game was an anomaly, unfortunately, and it is likely to be his season's best performance.

YGWHI
11-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Danny is finding his shot, Davis getting his stroke...This is crucial to Spurs success.

sasaint
11-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Shit, Danny Devito is more athletic than Anderson. The thing with Simmons is that he's entering his prime and he's still got a ways to go from being polished. His Dubs game was an anomaly, unfortunately, and it is likely to be his season's best performance.

:lol Whether the Dubs' game is Simmons best, at least the guy is clearly trying to polish his game. (It will probably be better than any game Kyle puts together, either.) Kyle seems to have just stagnated - and stagnated in Passive Mode. I will root for Kyle as long as he is a Spur - and probably beyond. I hope that seeing Bertans jump ahead of him in the rotation ignites a fire under him (a fire that, frankly, I haven't even seen).

SpurPadre
11-24-2016, 12:04 AM
:lol Whether the Dubs' game is Simmons best, at least the guy is clearly trying to polish his game. (It will probably be better than any game Kyle puts together, either.) Kyle seems to have just stagnated - and stagnated in Passive Mode. I will root for Kyle as long as he is a Spur - and probably beyond. I hope that seeing Bertans jump ahead of him in the rotation ignites a fire under him (a fire that, frankly, I haven't even seen).

Yeah, it's too bad Anderson got those Bobo comparisons coming out of college.

cjw
11-24-2016, 12:27 AM

He was the Windows 8 version of Bobo

sasaint
11-24-2016, 12:32 AM

I think it is too bad that Pop piled his plate so high instead of just bulking him up and turning him into a stretch-4 and making him put up several hundred 3s every day. Then once he had become proficient at the 3-ball, he could have slowly added back in the other elements of his game. Kyle was never going to be a 1, 2, 3 or 5 in the NBA. At this point, I think Kyle's own best chance would be to start over with a new team. Up until this season, I was a big Kyle supporter, but now I just don't see how he fits into this team - especially with the apparent emergence of Bertans.

SpurPadre
11-24-2016, 12:38 AM
He was the Windows 8 version of Bobo

I'd say he's the VHS version of Bobo, tbh.

spursistan
11-24-2016, 12:40 AM
IF Bertans is going to give you 8-10 points while spacing the floor and coming with the occasional help block, while in the process, balancing out his awful positional D on the other end, I would rather have him eating all of Kyle minutes, tbh..I liked what i saw today..

SpurPadre
11-24-2016, 12:43 AM
I think it is too bad that Pop piled his plate so high instead of just bulking him up and turning him into a stretch-4 and making him put up several hundred 3s every day. Then once he had become proficient at the 3-ball, he could have slowly added back in the other elements of his game. Kyle was never going to be a 1, 2, 3 or 5 in the NBA. At this point, I think Kyle's own best chance would be to start over with a new team. Up until this season, I was a big Kyle supporter, but now I just don't see how he fits into this team - especially with the apparent emergence of Bertans.

I agree he needs a change of scenery but I'm not so sure there are any teams out there that view him as an NBA player. They might think, "Shit, if Pop can't make use of him, why should anyone else bother?" I hope that isn't the case and that he can carve out a niche in the league but he may end up overseas before long.

sasaint
11-24-2016, 12:59 AM
I agree he needs a change of scenery but I'm not so sure there are any teams out there that view him as an NBA player. They might think, "Shit, if Pop can't make use of him, why should anyone else bother?" I hope that isn't the case and that he can carve out a niche in the league but he may end up overseas before long.

Who knows what a coach thinks, though. I mean what was SVG thinking to sign Boban to $7MM/3years?!?! And then play him about 2 mins/game?!?!?! Maybe there's some egotist out there who would like to turn one of Pop's failures into a bona fide rotation player...

Nathan89
11-24-2016, 01:01 AM
KA is already our 12th man. Sad.

100%duncan
11-24-2016, 02:03 AM
KA is already our 12th man. Sad.

It’s anything but sad.

Play Boban
11-24-2016, 02:08 AM
If Pol Pop wasn't so senile and stubborn, Kyle would've been cut this offseason. But Pol Pop doesn't want to admit he was wrong about Kyle so he'll keep on marching him out there in front of the firing squad for 15 minutes every night, to the deferment of the team. Disgusting.

apalisoc_9
11-24-2016, 02:31 AM
Bertans is going to have DNPs in the playoffs. But he's a weapon pop would consider and possibly play for about 5-8 minutes in any game where he sees it as a need.

In those 5-8 minutes, if Bertans can knock down a three or two...He would have done his role. Right now, he needs to be gunning so he can build a reputation. The better reptuation he builds, the better spacing he's going to provide for those 5 minute stretch.

cutewizard
11-24-2016, 04:21 AM
Danny is finding his shot, Davis getting his stroke...This is crucial to Spurs success.

:bobo

elemento
11-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Not only he is finding his stroke, but he is also showing some flashes defensively, especially shot-blocking skills that I didn't even expect from him. He is way more athletic than he is given credit for.

He misses some D rotations here and there, but you don't need more than 5 minutes watching him play to see that he has a place in the NBA and a future in SA.

r0drig0lac
11-24-2016, 08:36 AM
athletic and one of the best shooters in the world, he will be playing in the playoffs

cjw
11-24-2016, 11:15 PM
I'd say he's the VHS version of Bobo, tbh.

VHS had a good run. More like the laser disc version.

SpurPadre
11-25-2016, 12:57 AM
VHS had a good run. More like the laser disc version.

laser disc is better quality than vhs, though. Ok, how about he's the beta max version of Bobo? Or the CalicoVision version of Bobo that I accidentally sat on?

james evans
11-25-2016, 01:30 AM
He had better stop shooting so well and playing defense. If he keeps that up, he's gonna find himself at the end of the bench wanting more minutes.