PDA

View Full Version : Darius Bieber's Game Grades: Spurs at Hornets (Nov 23, 2016)

Chinook
11-23-2016, 10:31 PM
After Coach Popovich expressed his disdain for his team's play against the Mavericks on Monday, the Spurs hoped to look energized again on their first of three road games. They were a perfect 7-0 on the road prior to this game. The Hornets, on the other hand, are having a bit of a rough stretch. Although they maintain the third place in the East, they have had a season filled with winning streaks and losing streaks and are currently on a cold spell: losing two in a row coming into this one, most recently against the Grizzlies.

The Game in Review

This game featured a ton of lead changes and ties throughout the game. Neither team held a double digit lead at any point. It felt like a grit 'n grind type of game; not one you would expect against the Hornets. Spurs jumped to a quick lead early, but (as the rest of the game would go) the Hornets tied it up within two minutes.

Kemba Walker (who is having a career year in all stat categories) was held to just 11 points heading into the Fourth Quarter. However, he doubled his point total with tremendous play in the last few minutes. This included a four point play after being fouled by Parker when the Spurs were up 7 (Danny Green had just sinked a what-seemed-to-be dagger three pointer).

Contrary to what many posters on here believe, the Spurs' late game execution was nearly perfect. They had forced a five-second inbound violation on Belinelli, Parker came up with a clutch steal and subsequent three pointer after. The only flaw in the final two minutes was an ill-advised pass by Parker to Green. (The pass crossed half-court, but Green's foot was barely out of bounds).

In all, a very good "gut" victory which the Spurs needed against a very decent Hornets team.

GAME GRADES

Tony Parker: B

While Tony's statline was generally lack luster, (11 points in 29 minutes, going 30% from the field) I felt his play in the final two minutes warranted his B grade. He forced a costly turnover against Kemba Walker and then drained a corner three seconds later. He also nailed all 4 clutch Free Throws to ice the game. His defensive effort could have been better, he did seem to be quite late on rotations early in the game. As many people on this board know, I'm not the biggest Parker fan... But I do have to give him props for his play in the final few minutes. Also, only getting 3 assists as a starting point guard for a contender is worrisome.

Danny Green: A-

This was a great game by Danny Green. He went a very respectable 4-7 from three point land (two of them came in crunch-time). His early game play was great as well. His cuts to the basket led to some easy buckets early. He played great defensively and was very alert. His help defense on Kemba Walker through the first three quarters was excellent (Walker was held to 11 points coming into the third). This is exactly the type of game we need from Danny Green going forward if the Spurs want to make a run towards the finals.

LaMarcus Aldridge: B+

LaMarcus was our second highest scorer tonight, going 8-17 from the floor. I thought his low post play was pretty decent in this game. I didn't give LaMarcus an A rating due to the fact that the Hornets' frontcourt had injury problems and expected LaMarcus to feed. Getting 23 points from 17 shots is decent enough.

Kawhi Leonard: A

This was an excellent showing by our star player. He had a good touch on his shots and didn't force it too much (although, it can be argued he did force his three point shots as he did miss one in crunch time when we had more than enough time on the shot clock). This wasn't his best game defensively, though, getting his grade from an A+ to an A.

Pau Gasol: C+

He still looks a bit uncomfortable down there. He didn't seem to get in a rhythm all game, and he needs to in order to be effective. He did share the ball well and have great court vision on the offensive end, with a team leading 5 assists. Defensively, though, he was a struggle. His effort on the glass was abysmal too, there were two instances where it feels like his legs are stuck in molasses when a rebound is near him.

David Lee: B-

He did well off the bench. Don't let the -5 fool you, it was an up-and-down game all night. Showed great effort on both the offensive and defensive end.

Davis Bertans: A-

We finally got to see Bertans' silky stroke. Nailed all of his three point attempts (each barely hitting the rim) and also had a breakaway dunk. Definitely his best game as a Spur. He did have a few turnovers I didn't like. He forced a pass to Simmons (who Bertans thought was cutting, but didn't). That'll get buffed out once he becomes more familiar with his teammates.

Patty Mills: C+

Not Patty's best game. He did hit a timely three pointer and had a nice change-of-pace on the offensive end, but not much else. It's not that he was bad, it's just that he wasn't THAT good either. An above average C rating seems like the right fit.

Manu Ginobili: C-

Didn't have much to contribute. Not a good game for Ginobili. He went 1-6 from the field (only bucket was a three), he felt off. Of course, he did hustle the classic Manu way.

Jonathon Simmons: INC/D+

He has certainly not repeated his outstanding performance against the Warriors so far this season. Pretty empty stat-line with 14 minutes of play. Missed a few cues on offense (notably the Bertans turnover) and had a few defensive lapses.

Kyle Anderson: INC

Only played for a minute or so. Not much to contribute. Didn't cost us the game, so that's a plus.

Gregg Popovich: B-

Not many in-game adjustments. Good late game execution though, not what a lot of us were expecting.

Chinook
11-23-2016, 10:31 PM
If the title didn't give it away, this are from Darius Bieber (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=29744), not me.

Thanks for the grade. I will say that those TOs between Simmons and Bertans were Simmons' fault. You don't fake a back-door cut unless it's part of the play. Green used to get yelled at by Pop for doing that. If you make eye contact and start to move, you have to go. I loved that wrap-around pass to Lee. I agree that David was better defensively than some people want to make him out to be. The lack of a legit guard to play next to Green and Leonard is still present, even if Parker is subbing for that player adequately right now. Would be awesome to have an Eric Gordon to put in with the others.

All in all, I liked the game quite a bit. Beating a good team on the road is never easy.

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Tried to get this out quickly after the game, since I expected not many posters would be able to watch the game. (Early start time + Thanksgiving activities).

GSH
11-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Good write-up and much appreciated - especially so quickly after the game. No reason to nitpick the grades. I was a little more negative about our starting bigs. And I've already made my disgust with Pop known, so I won't re-re-repeat.

A pretty representative set of grades, and good comments behind them. :tu

Seventyniner
11-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Tried to get this out quickly after the game, since I expected not many posters would be able to watch the game. (Early start time + Thanksgiving activities).

Much appreciated.

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Much appreciated.

No problem, enjoy!

$pursDynasty
11-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Good work DB:toast

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Good work DB:toast

Thanks homie!

TheGreatYacht
11-23-2016, 10:41 PM
Good write up from fellow pinked poster, Darius Bieber tbh.

Only part I disagree on was Lee, thought he was terrible aside from that one fast break layup

elemento
11-23-2016, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the grades man.

Feel that Pau deserves a better grade. Despite not putting so many points, I think he played well overall. To me the entire bench was crap today, except for Bertans.

RD2191
11-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Bold the biebs.

RD2191
11-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Good write up from fellow pinked poster, Darius Bieber tbh.

Only part I disagree on was Lee, thought he was terrible aside from that one fast break layup

Why do you always say you're pinked? Your name looks fine to me.

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:48 PM

His and my name are slightly darker shades of grey, almost black.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-23-2016, 10:49 PM
Great write up but a B is way way too high for Parker. Loved his efforts in the final minute, but this was headed for being his worst game in some time.

All Mighty Janitor
These are great. Very accurate write up.

Darius Bieber
Thanks for the grades man.

Feel that Pau deserves a better grade. Despite not putting so many points, I think he played well overall. To me the entire bench was crap today, except for Bertans.

No problem!

I do understand that Pau's grade could be higher. But his lack of effort (or perhaps how it looks like his lack of effort, could be age) just got to me. There were at least two instances were I thought he could have at least attempted for the defensive rebound, but didn't - and the offense got it.

But I agree, bench was shit apart from Davis.

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:51 PM
Great write up but a B is way way too high for Parker. Loved his efforts in the final minute, but this was headed for being his worst game in some time.

True. If we had a PG such as Walker this game wouldn't be this close. But Parker did basically ice the game for us, so I gave him some extra credit for that.

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:52 PM
These are great. Very accurate write up.

Thanks!

Amuseddaysleeper
11-23-2016, 10:53 PM
True. If we had a PG such as Walker this game wouldn't be this close. But Parker did basically ice the game for us, so I gave him some extra credit for that.

Fair enough, and once again great write up my man :tu

TheGreatYacht
11-23-2016, 10:54 PM
We can't make threads, check our notifications, or click on profiles. Idk if it happened by accident (because my threads were great) , but yeah we're pinked :lol

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:55 PM
Fair enough, and once again great write up my man :tu

Thanks homie!

Raven
11-23-2016, 10:56 PM
David Lee was a straight up F imo and none deserves more than a B- tbh..

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:56 PM
We can't make threads, check our notifications, or click on profiles. Idk if it happened by accident (because my threads were great) , but yeah we're pinked :lol

Mods were probably jealous of the threads you were making and took away your power :lol

timtonymanu
11-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Bold the biebs.

This. Also good write up, homie

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 10:58 PM
This. Also good write up, homie

Thanks bruh:toast

TheGreatYacht
11-23-2016, 11:00 PM
Mods were probably jealous of the threads you were making and took away your power :lol
:lmao tbfh..

Hoops Czar
11-23-2016, 11:01 PM

Didn't have much to contribute. Not a good game for Ginobili. He went 1-6 from the field (only bucket was a three), he felt off. Of course, he did hustle the classic Manu way.

ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) :depressedIs this just a slow start? How many more of these type of games should we expect from our bench leader?

spurs10
11-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Tried to get this out quickly after the game, since I expected not many posters would be able to watch the game. (Early start time + Thanksgiving activities). Thank you and well done!

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Thank you and well done!

No problem! And thanks!

Robz4000
11-23-2016, 11:09 PM
Appreciate the good write up :tu

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 11:13 PM
Appreciate the good write up :tu

Thanks bro!

spurs10
11-23-2016, 11:14 PM
No problem! And thanks! :tu Happy Thanksgiving!

YGWHI
11-23-2016, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the grades! :tu

Sadly our quasi latvian guy, the writer, Bill...Sorry, I struggle with names here, didn't watch Davis hitting his 3's.

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 11:25 PM
:tu Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks! You as well, try not to eat too much, we got a noon game on Friday.:toast

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the grades! :tu

Sadly our quasi latvian guy, the writer, Bill...Sorry, I struggle with names here, didn't watch Davis hitting his 3's.

You're welcome!

YGWHI
11-23-2016, 11:27 PM
True. If we had a PG such as Walker this game wouldn't be this close.

This game exposed our guards. They can't play a whole game against elite competition. We will have some Parker/Manu good quarter but not 'consistently good'.

Also, Simms...zero points tonight.

Darius Bieber
11-23-2016, 11:30 PM
This game exposed our guards. They can't play a whole game against elite competition. We will have some Parker/Manu good quarter but not 'consistently good'.

Also, Simms...zero points tonight.

I think the hope is that Danny and Kawhi will cover for Parker and Ginobili. We just need Parker to be good (not even great) and we'll be fine.

SpurPadre
11-23-2016, 11:56 PM
Good write-up but I don't feel we should be too pleased with this game considering the Hornets scored 114 points. Way too many points and the perimeter d was lacking.

timtonymanu
11-24-2016, 12:01 AM
Good write-up but I don't feel we should be too pleased with this game considering the Hornets scored 114 points. Way too many points and the perimeter d was lacking.

The defense just isn't consistent enough without Timmy. I'm not expecting it to reach last year's level. Or even past years

SAGirl
11-24-2016, 12:07 AM
Thanks for this MR Bieber. I missed this game due to the holidays ad can just check stats on my phone. This does,give me an idea of the guys play overall. In another thread I wondered about this team's defense and your statement on Pay gave me chills as I have seen that from Pau almost every game.

Also its dissappointing that the only good mention on LMA was about him scoring and not that great....

Ahh I don't want to be negative, but it does feel like guys are not that sharp on defense to me, but again, I didn't watch this.

Ver y, very much appreciated. :tu

SpurPadre
11-24-2016, 12:16 AM
The defense just isn't consistent enough without Timmy. I'm not expecting it to reach last year's level. Or even past years

I wish we had Sefolosha off the bench but Bud won't want to get our sloppy seconds again. Aside from that, our D down low can improve with what we have but I'm not so sure our perimeter D can as Kawhi and LDN shouldn't be the extent of it.

Splits
11-24-2016, 01:30 AM
Jesus fuck, what is wrong with you Parker haters? HOTS took over the final 2 min

apalisoc_9
11-24-2016, 01:52 AM
I was wondering why Op posted the grades instead. :lol

I dont even know how they managed to communicate without giving private info somewhere in spurstalk since they cant PM each other.

100%duncan
11-24-2016, 01:56 AM
Thanks. I’ve yet to watch the game outside of Kawhi’s highlights :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
11-24-2016, 02:00 AM

Sad thing is, unless the Spurs can be a top 5 defensive team they have zero shot of making the WCF, let alone the Finals.

On the other hand, even though it's early days I'm already resigned to the fact that it'll be a second round exit this year.

Let's see if Pop gives Dedmon serious minutes, he can change the defense in a hurry.

ElNono
11-24-2016, 02:06 AM
thanks for the writeup :tu

ElNono
11-24-2016, 02:09 AM

ElNono (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8054) :depressedIs this just a slow start? How many more of these type of games should we expect from our bench leader?

He's a 39 year old bench player now... not sure what you're expecting. He's still way better than what Simms, Anderson, and the other scrubs have shown, but that's not saying much, TBQH...

I thought this was going to be the season where those guys would step up and make Manu largely irrelevant, it just hasn't happened... not Gino's fault either...

apalisoc_9
11-24-2016, 02:14 AM
Gino has had a few decent games.He'z performance is spotty, but he's also 39 so im pretty sure the spurs expected the spotty performance.

If Manu can provide the spurs with two or three decent games in a potential series against the other elite teams and Pop gets over Dedmon tweet, the spurs should be able to compete against warriors -LA-Lebron.

If they can trade anderson-Forbes- or any of the irellevant guys for a guy that can positively contribute off the bench too..they should at least be as good as The cavs

apalisoc_9
11-24-2016, 02:15 AM
As it stands Manu is still one of those dudes that can clearly have a huge positive impact. Not every game but a wildcard.

timtonymanu
11-24-2016, 02:33 AM
Sad thing is, unless the Spurs can be a top 5 defensive team they have zero shot of making the WCF, let alone the Finals.

On the other hand, even though it's early days I'm already resigned to the fact that it'll be a second round exit this year.

Let's see if Pop gives Dedmon serious minutes, he can change the defense in a hurry.

I can see that happening too. They are still too reliant on Parker and Ginobili turning back the clock when both of those guys should be ready to hand over the reigns at this point. None of the young guys are standing out. So unless the Spurs can miraculously pick up an all star guard, 2nd round seems to be this team's ceiling.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-24-2016, 02:39 AM
Great write up.

Agree with almost everything, only I thought Pop was quite sharp for a regular season game, not a B- for me. Thought his only mistake was sticking with that line-up that gave up the lead late in the 3rd and beginning of the 4th.

Spur|n|Austin
11-24-2016, 02:47 AM
Missed the game, thanks! Solid write up :tu

playbonner15
11-24-2016, 03:13 AM
Thought it was going to be biased coz it came from Darius Bertans, the other Bertans brother :lol

Anyway, thanks for the grades, Darius Bieber :toast

SAGirl
11-24-2016, 03:17 AM
I can see that happening too. They are still too reliant on Parker and Ginobili turning back the clock when both of those guys should be ready to hand over the reigns at this point. None of the young guys are standing out. So unless the Spurs can miraculously pick up an all star guard, 2nd round seems to be this team's ceiling.
+1
But I will add to that concerns in rim protection and defense from both Pau and LMA.

Fireball
11-24-2016, 04:02 AM
I really like Bertans, but he does not get more than a C+ from me ... he fucked up so many defensive possessions in the 1st half ... he will learn the system and has the tools to excel in it, so my expectations are high and he only gets a C+

SAGirl
11-24-2016, 04:08 AM
I really like Bertans, but he does not get more than a C+ from me ... he fucked up so many defensive possessions in the 1st half ... he will learn the system and has the tools to excel in it, so my expectations are high and he only gets a C+
Thanks for being honest.

I will be honest, I appreciate candor when it concerns a game I didn't watch.

In a way I think Bieber curved grades in a kind if generous fashion. When the team seems to have done so poorly defensively as a group (with perhaps some guys being worse than others at times) I would have expected some harsher reviews on that end. It does seem like it was Bertans hot shooting that barely kept the bench afloat at times, and then just barely. That's just it. He's not going to shoot that efficiently on a nightly basis and when he doesn't, what do you have left? I wanted to know about the rest.

dabom
11-24-2016, 04:21 AM
Thanks for being honest.

I will be honest, I appreciate candor when it concerns a game I didn't watch.

In a way I think Bieber curved grades in a kind if generous fashion. When the team seems to have done so poorly defensively as a group (with perhaps some guys being worse than others at times) I would have expected some harsher reviews on that end. It does seem like it was Bertans hot shooting that barely kept the bench afloat at times, and then just barely. That's just it. He's not going to shoot that efficiently on a nightly basis and when he doesn't, what do you have left? I wanted to know about the rest.

Are you blaming Bertans -4 all on him? :lol

Fireball
11-24-2016, 04:24 AM
If Bertans was in his third year like Kyle, he would be far far far ahead of Fathead ...

SAGirl
11-24-2016, 04:25 AM
Are you blaming Bertans -4 all on him? :lol
No I just wanted to see how he did aside from his shooting bc just on watching the stat sheet I can see he shot well TBH... but I didn't see rebound a and the team struggled. It does seem like Manu specially struggled and Patty wasn't special but one can't rely just on hot shooting. Do you have anything to add?

dabom
11-24-2016, 04:26 AM
No I just wanted to see how he did aside from his shooting bc just on watching the stat sheet I can see he shot well TBH... but I didn't see rebound a and the team struggled. It does seem like Manu specially struggled and Patty wasn't special but one can't rely just on hot shooting. Do you have anything to add?

Not really. :tu

SAGirl
11-24-2016, 04:28 AM
If Bertans was in his third year like Kyle, he would be far far far ahead of Fathead ...
He's 24 and has played professionally from a young age and lately in very good leagues. Until last season all Kyle had was college and a dleague season. He barely played hi rook season. But that has nothing to do with my wondering about Bertans

dabom
11-24-2016, 04:32 AM
Bertans is the player Kyle was supposed to be. Expect his stock to go up. Some good tips for some certain people...

dabom
11-24-2016, 04:33 AM
Stretch 4 with the 3 ball.

Brazil
11-24-2016, 05:21 AM
Good write up brah ! :tu

I think Parker grade is a bit generous but I'm not going to complain :lol

San Antonio Slayer
11-24-2016, 06:21 AM
Popovich grade: A+ for that raised leg after final threepointer :lol

ceperez
11-24-2016, 06:48 AM
Just shocking how both Simmons and Anderson have cratered in performance.

Are these two just burnt out from all the work they did during the summer?

Or could it be teams have enough film on the two that they know how to shut them down?

Chinook
11-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Just shocking how both Simmons and Anderson have cratered in performance.

Are these two just burnt out from all the work they did during the summer?

Or could it be teams have enough film on the two that they know how to shut them down?

They aren't getting enough room to play like they did in the summer league. The bench just doesn't seem to work that way.

Chinook
11-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Just thought I'd drop this here for folks who didn't get to watch the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXaVittIv94

Thunder1
11-24-2016, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the grades..

daledondale
11-24-2016, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the writeup!

Darius Bieber
11-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the writeup!

Thanks for the grades..

You're welcome!

Darius Bieber
11-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Good write up brah ! :tu

I think Parker grade is a bit generous but I'm not going to complain :lol

Thanks! Yeah I'm not a huge Parker fan either, but I ain't complaining that he iced the game. :lol

Raven
11-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Bertans is the player Kyle was supposed to be. Expect his stock to go up. Some good tips for some certain people...

well that's just false

ElNono
11-24-2016, 01:27 PM
tbh, I am disappoint that it didn't end with something like "In a nutshell, blow this team up and start over"...

Hoops Czar
11-24-2016, 02:21 PM

You know what's sad? The GS Warriors have actually been a better team defensively than the Spurs.

FG% against (2 point range) GS .437 SA .448
FG% against (3 point range) GS .345 SA .345

Darius Bieber
11-24-2016, 02:21 PM
tbh, I am disappoint that it didn't end with something like "In a nutshell, blow this team up and start over"...

Haha that's because the Spurs didn't lose

Darius Bieber
11-24-2016, 02:25 PM
You know what's sad? The GS Warriors have actually been a better team defensively than the Spurs.

There's more to a defense than Opponent's FG%.

palangi
11-24-2016, 02:25 PM
He's 24 and has played professionally from a young age and lately in very good leagues. Until last season all Kyle had was college and a dleague season. He barely played hi rook season. But that has nothing to do with my wondering about Bertans

And 3 years in the system means something too. KA hasn't processed worth 3 seasons in the system. ThaT is what needs to be focused on. Not Bertans euro experience.

You are full of excuses for KA who is flaming out very quickly

Hoops Czar
11-24-2016, 02:44 PM
There's more to a defense than Opponent's FG%.

It's a big part of it. Defensive efficiency is virtually the same.

Spurs 1.021 GS 1.026 However, if we eliminate the Warriors first game of the season.... :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
11-24-2016, 03:20 PM

Wow, that is just sad

spurs10
11-24-2016, 04:23 PM
Thanks! You as well, try not to eat too much, we got a noon game on Friday.:toast :flag:

Em-City
11-24-2016, 07:51 PM
thanks for the grade beibs

SAGirl
11-24-2016, 09:38 PM
They aren't getting enough room to play like they did in the summer league. The bench just doesn't seem to work that way.
+100

Darius Bieber
11-25-2016, 01:13 AM
thanks for the grade beibs

No prob bruh