PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Anderson has lost all its minutes to Bertans and Simmons...Is it fair?

apalisoc_9
11-24-2016, 01:21 AM
Last year Anderson would play two specific roles...He was Kawhi main sub in the regular season and he would play small ball 4.

This year, or at least in the last 5 games...Simmons is now Pop's designated Leonard sub and Davis Bertans iw now the guy that plays the stretch 4 position or the small ball position.

Now, I ask spurstalk...Is it really fair to relegate a player this quick considering he was placed iutside of his comfort zone during Green's absence?

FkLA
11-24-2016, 01:22 AM
Yes. He sucks.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-24-2016, 01:39 AM
Of course it's fair, he's not an NBA ready player. I don't think he ever will be.

100%duncan
11-24-2016, 01:51 AM
Yes. Why ask this when we were clamouring for Pop to play Splitter over Bonner or Blair in 2011.

SAGirl
11-24-2016, 02:25 AM
This team's composition is different from last season and he has struggled fitting in. It's not unfair in the sense that sports are a meritocracy. Heck Cojo barely played at times bc he wasn't the best fit despite being a solid player overall by his 3rd season and there was at the time a group that still liked Cojo over Patty the best. So no, it's not about fairness.. but he could take a leaf out if Cojos book and keep working to improve on the weaknesses in his game and stay ready for his opportunities, Spurs or in another team.

objective
11-24-2016, 02:56 AM
Looking forward to the usual suspects accuse Bertans and Simmons as being coddled.

apalisoc_9
11-24-2016, 03:10 AM
Looking forward to the usual suspects accuse Bertans and Simmons as being coddled.

Who are the usual suspects? Never heard anyone say Bertans and Simmons are coddled

TheGreatYacht
11-24-2016, 03:13 AM
It's his third year, still has no jumpshot. Might've even regressed. Had the whole season + playoffs last year, and 7 starts this year.. still sucks.

2ppg in 17 minutes shooting 36%

Per36 averages:
5.0 points, 6.8 rebounds, 1.9 assists :lol

dabom
11-24-2016, 03:43 AM
Who are the usual suspects? Never heard anyone say Bertans and Simmons are coddled
Chinook says the darndest things.

DeRozan m8
11-24-2016, 04:12 AM
This is what dreams are made of

Chinook
11-24-2016, 05:15 AM
Is it fair? That's kind of a silly question. We aren't all like you with ideas that Pop has it out for guys. Anderson isn't playing better than Simmons or Bertans. He's probably been about as good as Manu on the aggregate, but Manu has more upside. So there's nothing irrational about Pop making this move.

However, if the question is about whether this is a good thing, the answer is no. That people have been dancing in the virtual streets about Anderson's really bad offensive play is almost disturbing. Kyle isn't being benched because guys are coming in and doing his assumed job better than him. He's been benched because he's been worse than the mediocre play in front of him.

It's a very bad thing that Anderson has flopped as the team's sixth man this year. It's worse for the Spurs than is it for Anderson himself, since Kyle isn't playing for a contract this year. The team's outlook is so much bleaker because no one (including and especially Kyle) has stepped up and been the player that many of us were hoping he would be.

Spurtacular
11-24-2016, 05:35 AM
He's probably been about as good as Manu on the aggregate

Manu is shooting 42 3FG so far. He's been bringing something to the table, tbh.

Captivus
11-24-2016, 06:16 AM
He's probably been about as good as Manu on the aggregate, but Manu has more upside.

Explain...im intrigued.

ceperez
11-24-2016, 06:55 AM
Is it fair? That's kind of a silly question. We aren't all like you with ideas that Pop has it out for guys. Anderson isn't playing better than Simmons or Bertans. He's probably been about as good as Manu on the aggregate, but Manu has more upside. So there's nothing irrational about Pop making this move.

However, if the question is about whether this is a good thing, the answer is no. That people have been dancing in the virtual streets about Anderson's really bad offensive play is almost disturbing. Kyle isn't being benched because guys are coming in and doing his assumed job better than him. He's been benched because he's been worse than the mediocre play in front of him.

It's a very bad thing that Anderson has flopped as the team's sixth man this year. It's worse for the Spurs than is it for Anderson himself, since Kyle isn't playing for a contract this year. The team's outlook is so much bleaker because no one (including and especially Kyle) has stepped up and been the player that many of us were hoping he would be.

Are both Anderson and Simmons burnt out?

Have they become too concerned about not making mistakes that the don't do anything on the court?

Contrast this with Bertans. He does one thing well (shoot the 3), despite having very little opportunity to shoot, he fires it without any thought. Simmons and Anderson both need to dribble the ball to do something... unfortunately dribbling increases your chance of making a mistake.

If you can just camp on the 3 point line and just shoot the ball when you see a little daylight, then your chances of making a mistake is small!

DrSteffo
11-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Backup sf has been a weakness for years. They tried to solve the problem but basically failed, which is ok if you correct the mistake.

SAGirl
11-24-2016, 07:19 AM

There's too much hate to see reason... one thing I can tell you from last season, when Kyle got in a groove after the ASB he started to fill up the stat sheet. He wouldn't just give you impact on defense. He would not come up with an offensive only game either, in fact I don't think he's ever done that by the way. He wouldn't put up empty stats. He'd fill up the stat sheet giving you contributions in every category while the game was in dispute. He had a 7 assist game once and that was a game he played with Andre Miller who is ball dominant player mind you. He just made great decisions. He had a double double with 15/10/4/5, and that last game half the team wasn't playing. He was 22 years old at the time and practically a rookie in NBA terms since he had played so little his first season.

He'd have games he contributed in each category as well as efficiently scoring and he didn't depend on a star player to do what he did. IMO he needs to play in a lesser team that can afford to ask him to do more and not less. The Spurs can't afford that and maybe that's that. The limited role he has doesn't suit him. He's given flashes of what a good game from him looks like and its not what he's been doing this season.

Do I see him improving with the current team composition and fit? I am nit sure and can't see it bc it's a factor of current team composition and current fit that I don't think he can overcome.

They need shooting and he's not a pure shooter. They need athletes bc Manu has lost two steps and he's not an athlete and the other things he adds are not enough to offset the poor fit. So he's probably better off getting traded. Often I don't think that he will bc the Spurs have so little depth in both forwards and wings and he can give you fill in minutes in both, but that completely wastes him.

I'd keep working on shooting if I was him, bc he'll need that no matter where he is.

I could elaborate but the trolling about him has worn me out beyond belief in being sincere. I almost don't want to talk about him at all.

DrSteffo
11-24-2016, 07:23 AM
There's too much hate to see reason... one thing I can tell you from last season, when Kyle got in a groove after the ASB he started to fill up the stat sheet. He wouldn't just give you impact on defense. He would not come up with an offensive only game either, in fact I don't think he's ever done that by the way. He wouldn't put up empty stats. He'd fill up the stat sheet giving you contributions in every category while the game was in dispute. He had a 7 assist game once and that was a game he played with Andre Miller who is ball dominant player mind you. He just made great decisions. He had a double double with 15/10/4/5, and that last game half the team wasn't playing. He was 22 years old at the time and practically a rookie in NBA terms since he had played so little his first season.

He'd have games he contributed in each category as well as efficiently scoring and he didn't depend on a star player to do what he did. IMO he needs to play in a lesser team that can afford to ask him to do more and not less. The Spurs can't afford that and maybe that's that. The limited role he has doesn't suit him. He's given flashes of what a good game from him looks like and its not what he's been doing this season.

Do I see him improving with the current team composition and fit? I am nit sure and can't see it bc it's a factor of current team composition and current fit that I don't think he can overcome.

They need shooting and he's not a pure shooter. They need athletes bc Manu has lost two steps and he's not an athlete and the other things he adds are not enough to offset the poor fit. So he's probably better off getting traded. Often I don't think that he will bc the Spurs have so little depth in both forwards and wings and he can give you fill in minutes in both, but that completely wastes him.

I'd keep working on shooting if I was him, bc he'll need that no matter where he is.

I could elaborate but the trolling about him has worn me out beyond belief in being sincere. I almost don't want to talk about him at all.

You are the one who is trolling and we all know this. Cheers mate!

cd98
11-24-2016, 07:58 AM
There is no "fair." Basketball is not fair, you eat what you catch and Anderson is starving right now. Spurs need him to get hungry.

skulls138
11-24-2016, 08:33 AM
Its just one game.

r0drig0lac
11-24-2016, 09:08 AM
Explain...im intrigued.

bigfan
11-24-2016, 09:12 AM
KA sucketh greatly.

Leetonidas
11-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Dude is trash. Way too hesitant, no balls, and every opponent knows it

Poolboy5623
11-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Fair? If Anderson plays significant minutes the Spurs are fucked.

TimDunkem
11-24-2016, 10:06 AM
He's not a pure anything. He's mediocre at everything he does.

ceperez
11-24-2016, 10:17 AM

His defense is much better this year. But I've got no idea what's going on with his drop in production. Maybe it's because he played in blowouts?

My suspicion here is that both Anderson and Simmons are burnt out and need rest.

100%duncan
11-24-2016, 10:34 AM
He's not a pure anything. He's mediocre at everything he does.

Mediocre is very generous

bic50
11-24-2016, 10:46 AM
His severe lack of athleticism is what hurts him.

benefactor
11-24-2016, 11:12 AM
Who fucking cares? He could be cut tomorrow and no one would notice.

Solid D
11-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Kyle missed out on a nice opportunity to shine the first 9 games of the season, when he filled in for Danny. Seems pretty fair to me.

Arcadian
11-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Yeah cuz those guys are better. What else is there to say?

Raven
11-24-2016, 12:20 PM
It's fair, and now that we have seen it doesn't work, he should get 30mpg

Captivus
11-24-2016, 03:25 PM
I dont like to say bad things about players, usually...but having said that...Kyle...kmon...I dont see anything good about him, honestly.
Maybe for other players I can say: his defense sucks, but he can shoot...or....he cant score, but he gets 15 rebounds a game...
Looking at Kyle, thats my question...what is his thing?

J_Paco
11-24-2016, 11:29 PM
Of course it's fair, he's not an NBA ready player. I don't think he ever will be.

Well, to be completely fair and honest Simmons has been playing worse through this stretch of games too.

I'm not sold that either one is ready for the role and production the team needs from either. Wouldn't be shocked if the team starts inquiring or searching for a better option if Simmons can't improve or actually start making outside shots.