PDA

View Full Version : Bertrans= New Bonner!!

skin27
11-24-2016, 09:28 AM
His game has similarty to Bonner..but more athletic and fast..

Poolboy5623
11-24-2016, 09:56 AM
They both have orange hair.

TimDunkem
11-24-2016, 10:07 AM
It's annoying to hear this. Yeah, they're both white and shoot threes, but Matt Bonner fucking sucked. Bertans already looks better than he ever was.

ace3g
11-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Bertans has way more potential than Bonner ever did. He just needs to reach it.

elemento
11-24-2016, 10:19 AM
His shooting form is 10x better. High and quick, completely the opposite of Bonbon's.

To me he is a more athletic Ryan Anderson

bic50
11-24-2016, 10:35 AM
How Bonner stayed on the roster for what felt like 30 years is beyond me. Bertans>>>Bonner not close either

Play Boban
11-24-2016, 10:40 AM
This comparison is racist. SAD!

TheRemix
11-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Bertans is lightyears ahead

Arcadian
11-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Bonner was never this good. Bertans would fucking destroy Bonner in a matchup.

AFBlue
11-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Bonner is more consistent on offense and has a wider array of shots in his arsenal than Bertans. He also has the advantage with the ever-important corporate knowledge. I'll give Bertans the edge with athleticism, defense and potential. The kid could be better when all is said and done, but he has a ways to go to catch the Red Mamba.

LittleCriminal
11-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Bertans is also a better shot blocker than Bonner.

jeebus
11-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Boner is the reason why I never bought any Spurs merchandise for the past 10 or so years. I didn't want to contribute any more money to that useless faggot's salary.

Raven
11-24-2016, 12:14 PM
well yeah, the resemblance has been obvious for years now. Bertans has way more potential though, but on his side, Bonner did not have Bertans's injury history..

mudyez
11-24-2016, 12:34 PM
They are pretty different.

Bertans release is so much quicker and he elevates unlike Bonner.

Defensively Bonner was able to defend big bulky guys like Z-Bo (not necessary anymore). Bertans is a below average onballdefender and will be shoved around under the basket. On the other hand, Bertans is a shot blocking threat and is way more agile.

tmtcsc
11-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Gotta disagree. Besides being white and having red hair, there is very little they have in common. From what I've seen so far, Bertans moves better without the ball, is more athletic and has a knack for blocking shots. Bonner was a spot up shooter who sometimes mixed it up in the lane by rebounding.

mudyez
11-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Bonner = Kevin Love
Bertans = Serge Ibaka

:hat

Proxy
11-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Bertans has more potential and skill and athleticism no doubt. If he can learn the system as well as Matty did (whatever that means), I'm sure Pop will have him out there more. Wonder how long that'll take.

HarlemHeat37
11-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Bonner would have beasted in Bertans' role, tbh..the reason Bonner is disliked by many Spurs fans is due to the role Pop forced on him during his time here, which is unfortunate, since he was a very productive player for what his role should have been..there are very few white American players that should be playing big minutes on an NBA team in the 21st century, let alone an aspiring contender..

With his unconventional playing style and positive analytics at a time where they weren't popular in the mainstream, Bonner was ahead of his time..outside of Manu and maybe Parker, Bonner was the most influential player of the Duncan era..

r0drig0lac
11-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Bertans rookie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> peak Bonner whatever that means

AZK619
11-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Looking forward to seeing Bertans evolve as a player. Not sure what his ceiling is, but he has all the tools to succeed. Just needs to stay healthy.

Sean Cagney
11-24-2016, 03:13 PM
How Bonner stayed on the roster for what felt like 30 years is beyond me. Bertans>>>Bonner not close either

I agree with this fully........

Captivus
11-24-2016, 03:23 PM
Both lastnames start with B...I guess...sounds legit

Mikeanaro
11-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Bertans= what Bonnie could never be.

SpurPadre
11-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Well, hope that, come playoffs, teams will see him out there thinking he's Bonner and thus, leaving him wide open so he can get open looks.

daledondale
11-24-2016, 04:20 PM
OP is a faggot.

DeRozan m8
11-24-2016, 04:28 PM
Not sure if overrating Bonner or underrating Bertans....or just clueless tbh

spurtech09
11-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Bertans can block shots though.

Keepin' it real
11-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Make Latvia Great Again

Em-City
11-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Bonner would have beasted in Bertans' role, tbh..the reason Bonner is disliked by many Spurs fans is due to the role Pop forced on him during his time here, which is unfortunate, since he was a very productive player for what his role should have been..there are very few white American players that should be playing big minutes on an NBA team in the 21st century, let alone an aspiring contender..

With his unconventional playing style and positive analytics at a time where they weren't popular in the mainstream, Bonner was ahead of his time..outside of Manu and maybe Parker, Bonner was the most influential player of the Duncan era..

edgy post.

I'm a Bonner fan, but he wouldn't have had the athleticism to play Bertans' role and would have been benched in minutes. I don't think bonner could have kept up with anybody in this era of the NBA, and he had better match ups defending early 2000's big men who didn't have speed athleticism instead of the super-mobile PF/Cs we're seeing today.

Snaq O'Meal
11-24-2016, 08:03 PM

Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry will disagree with you.

Chucho
11-24-2016, 08:39 PM
No, not at all. Bonner's best attribute was his ability to survive, second only to a cockroach.

Bonner never did anything when it mattered.

skin27
11-24-2016, 10:34 PM
What I mean is that they have the same role on the team.. a stretch 4 who can shoot the 3 but if Bertrans somehow play defense along the way and especially in the playoffs, and get more playing time than Bonner did then I will say Bertans is a much better player..

UZER
11-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Please don't disrespect Bertans that way.

lilbthebasedgod
11-24-2016, 11:30 PM
I don't get it. He's shown basically nothing. Like, literally, he's shooting 41 percent from the field. Take this last game out as an outlier and he's been terrible.

jbspurs
11-25-2016, 12:33 AM
Bonner is more consistent on offense and has a wider array of shots in his arsenal than Bertans. He also has the advantage with the ever-important corporate knowledge. I'll give Bertans the edge with athleticism, defense and potential. The kid could be better when all is said and done, but he has a ways to go to catch the Red Mamba.

Bonner wore #15 not #21, you might be mistaken....:)

pookenstein
11-25-2016, 01:11 AM
Bonner as the fourth, fifth or sixth big throughout his carreer would have been great. Nobody would have hated him. How do you guys think Bertans would do if forced to play against Starters? Also e haven't see him perform in the Playoffs yet. I hope he wildo great for us, but nobody can say for sure right now.

Chinook
11-25-2016, 07:51 AM
Bonner's arguably the most influential Spur of the last decade. Bertans wouldn't be on the team now had Bonner never been. There might not even be a Warriors team without him. He's criminally underrated, even if he was overplayed.

Anyway, Bertans is not currently better than Bonner was. He has a better-looking stroke, but Matt is a career 41-percent three-point shooter over 12 seasons and almost 2000 attempts. Davis will be lucky to keep up those numbers (currently 44 percent on 25 attempts). Per 36, Bonner was a 13/6/2/1/1 guy, whereas Davis is an 11/4/1/0/2 guy. Matt's net rating was plus-13, Bertans' is minus-1. Bonner had a PER of 14; Bertans has one of 10. Bertans has him beat in TS%, but Matt takes pretty much every other advanced stat.

Qualitatively, Bonner was more comfortable in his role as a stretch-big than Bertans is now. He knew he was expected to hit open shots, defend in the post and make an effort on the boards. Davis has more potential for sure, but he's also not nearly ready to achieve it. He has to bulk up quite a bit to be a legit two-way stretch big. He's going to have to show more DBBIQ than he's showing now. He's going to have to get used to his teammates. The dude definitely can make this comparison laughable in a couple of years. But the jury is still now right now.

That's even more true, since we haven't seen how he's going to handle playoff-level basketball yet.

GSH
11-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Bonner's arguably the most influential Spur of the last decade. Bertans wouldn't be on the team now had Bonner never been. There might not even be a Warriors team without him.

I was about to give you a big thumbs-up for a great gag post. But the more I read, the more I think you're serious. I don't know what kind of twisted logic you used to come up with that, but it's a lot like saying there might not be an Internet without Al Gore.

Matt is a career 41-percent three-point shooter over 12 seasons and almost 2000 attempts.

Yes, Bonner was a career .410 from 3P, which is great... as long as you're willing to overlook the fact that he was a career .355 from 3P in the playoffs. On a team that measures itself by playoff success, that's sort of a problem.

I don't see any point in comparing him to Bertans, who has a total of 130 NBA minutes. But I also don't see any point in calling Matty Fucking Bonner the most influential Spur of the last decade. The memories of the 2011 Playoffs are still way too fresh. Remember that? The year Bonner won the Best Matador award?

I also can't forget the 08-09 season, when the Spurs' starting five included Roger Mason AND Matt Bonner. And the Spurs got knocked out of the first round in five games by the Mavs. Those were sad, sad days - and Bonner shooting .231 from 3P, and .200 from 2P was definitely very influential.

Arcadian
11-25-2016, 10:23 AM
There might not even be a Warriors team without him.

What? Ok, now you're just embellishing...

Chinook
11-25-2016, 11:02 AM
I was about to give you a big thumbs-up for a great gag post. But the more I read, the more I think you're serious. I don't know what kind of twisted logic you used to come up with that, but it's a lot like saying there might not be an Internet without Al Gore.

We've covered this territory like dozens of times over the years. Bonner's "outlier" plus-minus was a harbinger for the stretch-four era in the same way Bruce's corner-three was a harbinger for the three-and-D era. Bonner wasn't the first big to shoot threes at all, but he was the first guy to prove that you can pretty much help your team by being a 6-10 guy who ONLY shoots threes. He was one of the guys who turned the stretch-four into a role and not a gimmick. Now, it's the paradigm. No other Spur defined or solidified a position like that.

You can say there will never be another D-Rob or Duncan, and you're right. Those guys aren't prototypes -- they're impossible standards. Bonner's standard can be reached and eclipsed, and it has been multiple times already. That's what makes him so influential. He was a trend-setter for the game as we know it today.

Yes, Bonner was a career .410 from 3P, which is great... as long as you're willing to overlook the fact that he was a career .355 from 3P in the playoffs. On a team that measures itself by playoff success, that's sort of a problem.

It's irrelevant, though. Bertans hasn't played in the playoffs yet. We have no idea if he'll do any better.

I don't see any point in comparing him to Bertans, who has a total of 130 NBA minutes. But I also don't see any point in calling Matty Fucking Bonner the most influential Spur of the last decade. The memories of the 2011 Playoffs are still way too fresh. Remember that? The year Bonner won the Best Matador award?

I also can't forget the 08-09 season, when the Spurs' starting five included Roger Mason AND Matt Bonner. And the Spurs got knocked out of the first round in five games by the Mavs. Those were sad, sad days - and Bonner shooting .231 from 3P, and .200 from 2P was definitely very influential.

I don't remember saying he was anywhere close to the best Spur. My guess is somewhere in the top 30-45 assuming the current group continues their trend.

apalisoc_9
11-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Matty Bonner was an important..very important and valuable player. He stole money from us in 2015 but bonner was a huge reason for allowing that 2011-2014 offense to flourish.

I'm surprised people dont realize how important he was for the team...

I suppose Bonner is like a screw in a big mechanical work...seems very irrelevant, but you take that shit out and its breaking down and doing all sorts of problematic stuff..

In a way Matty was like that..The spurs demolition of the Grizz ( timvp memphis in 4)..Bonner was a huge reason for that...

I cant remeber a big that played the bonner stretch 4 role prior to bonner..

BatManu20
11-25-2016, 11:23 AM

Poolboy5623
11-25-2016, 11:51 AM
Bertans rookie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> peak Bonner whatever that means

I had a peak Bonner last night..

r0drig0lac
11-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Bonner's arguably the most influential Spur of the last decade. Bertans wouldn't be on the team now had Bonner never been. There might not even be a Warriors team without him.

wtf

Poolboy5623
11-25-2016, 03:46 PM
So....other than both being a tall guy that can shoot 3s, what else(basketball wise) do they have in common?

dabom
11-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Bonner's arguably the most influential Spur of the last decade. Bertans wouldn't be on the team now had Bonner never been. There might not even be a Warriors team without him. He's criminally underrated, even if he was overplayed.

Anyway, Bertans is not currently better than Bonner was. He has a better-looking stroke, but Matt is a career 41-percent three-point shooter over 12 seasons and almost 2000 attempts. Davis will be lucky to keep up those numbers (currently 44 percent on 25 attempts). Per 36, Bonner was a 13/6/2/1/1 guy, whereas Davis is an 11/4/1/0/2 guy. Matt's net rating was plus-13, Bertans' is minus-1. Bonner had a PER of 14; Bertans has one of 10. Bertans has him beat in TS%, but Matt takes pretty much every other advanced stat.

Qualitatively, Bonner was more comfortable in his role as a stretch-big than Bertans is now. He knew he was expected to hit open shots, defend in the post and make an effort on the boards. Davis has more potential for sure, but he's also not nearly ready to achieve it. He has to bulk up quite a bit to be a legit two-way stretch big. He's going to have to show more DBBIQ than he's showing now. He's going to have to get used to his teammates. The dude definitely can make this comparison laughable in a couple of years. But the jury is still now right now.

That's even more true, since we haven't seen how he's going to handle playoff-level basketball yet.

I you saying this. Always fucking stupid everytime. :lmao

jyra
11-25-2016, 03:54 PM
So happy for his great performance but his twitchy movements on offense make me nervous.

Laughing Gravy
11-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Bonner was indeed a very influential Spur over the last decade....and I mean influential in a VERY BAD way.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-25-2016, 04:14 PM

The reason why Bonner was disliked was he would disappear from the game during the postseason due to his slow release. That was concurrent with playoff exits including shamings at the hands of the Grizz and Suns.

The reason why he started is because there was nobody else. Blair had his moments his rookie year but then shat the bed particularly on defense. Splitter was hurt and took time to develop.

Robinson, AJ, Bowen, Ferry, Rose, Horry, Jackson, Barry, and Oberto all had as much or more influence. You apparently missed the first half or more of Duncan's career.

skin27
11-25-2016, 09:19 PM

Yup that was the year(08-09 season)Bonner played major minutes and his on the starting lineup beside Duncan..the Spurs big men that year was pretty weak...Kurt Thomas, Bonner, drew golden etc..hahaha

cutewizard
11-25-2016, 09:26 PM
Bonner = Kevin Love
Bertans = Serge Ibaka

:hat

:bobo

cutewizard
11-25-2016, 09:28 PM
We are just happy to have another quality player off the bench, when Dedmon returns, that bench is gonna be scary............

cutewizard
11-25-2016, 09:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y9f2r8MAX8

picnroll
11-25-2016, 10:13 PM
Like Rasheed said, "Just give the ball to whoever Bonner's guarding". That says it all.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Like Rasheed said, "Just give the ball to whoever Bonner's guarding". That says it all.

Bonner was strong enough to hold his ground in the post. He used to doa number guarding Randolph. His issue was a good closeout shut him down.

Ice009
11-26-2016, 01:00 AM
Please don't associate him with Bonner. I actually want him to do well and become a better player than Bonner ever was.

Sean Cagney
11-26-2016, 01:22 AM
Bonner as the fourth, fifth or sixth big throughout his carreer would have been great. Nobody would have hated him. How do you guys think Bertans would do if forced to play against Starters? Also e haven't see him perform in the Playoffs yet. I hope he wildo great for us, but nobody can say for sure right now.

True, when he got overplayed is when I started to hate Bonner even though that is not his fault being used out of his role.
Bonner's arguably the most influential Spur of the last decade.

No, not even close really to the first part.

Mentioning handling playoff basketball as well since Ironically Matt's shoot dropped considerably in the playoffs % wise for years and he looked like a deer in head lights hesitating to shoot or missing open shots, so won't be hard to surpass him there. He was a good regular season shooter though I give him that.