PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Unit, BERTANS

BD24
11-25-2016, 02:48 PM
So when Dedmon gets back who is out of the 2nd unit? Lee? Simmons?

DAF86
11-25-2016, 03:00 PM
I don't know, but Bertans needs to keep playing. That's for sure.

apalisoc_9
11-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Bertans-Lee-Dedmon have been the best bench players for the spurs....

:lol

dabom
11-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Bertans/Dedmon are gonna play the cory/patty role. Just match up wise.

BD24
11-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Bertans-Lee-Dedmon have been the best bench players for the spurs....

I agree that Lee has been good as well, but can Bertans play the 3? He will work best as a stretch 4 imo.

DAF86
11-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Bertans/Dedmon are gonna play the cory/patty role. Just match up wise.

That would be a mistake. Bertans needs his assured minutes, he's the one guy that could give the Spurs the extra gear they desperately need. Make Dedmon and Lee switch, or Pau for that matter.

dabom
11-25-2016, 03:08 PM
That would be a mistake. Bertans needs his assured minutes, he's the one guy that could give the Spurs the extra hear they desperately need. Make Dedmon and Lee switch, or Pau for that matter.

Personally, I would go all in on Bertans.

cjw
11-25-2016, 03:16 PM
And to think his pick was a throw-in in the Kawhi trade. Best part is Anderson is more or less expendable if he keeps this up.

If Simmons is playing well, Dedmon takes minutes from bigs if the defense is lacking. Dedmon is crucial against the other top teams. Lee is the one who's been the total surprise this season - I don't see a way you can reduce his minutes.

jeebus
11-25-2016, 03:19 PM
cory

Nah. Neither player is as big a cancer and useless as Corey was.

But I am glad that slow piece of dog shit Fat Head has played himself out of the rotation. Maybe the Spers can get a 2025 second rounder or something for his pathetic ass.

Play Boban
11-25-2016, 03:20 PM
So when Dedmon gets back who is out of the 2nd unit? Lee? Simmons?
Dedmon is never getting back. Pol Pop is a supremacist who only plays Uncle Tom. A real brother like Dedmon will never see the field under Pol Pop.

apalisoc_9
11-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Dedmon is never getting back. Pol Pop is a supremacist who only plays Uncle Tom. A real brother like Dedmon will never see the field under Pol Pop.

dabom
11-25-2016, 03:24 PM

But I am glad that slow piece of dog shit Fat Head has played himself out of the rotation. Maybe the Spers can get a 2025 second rounder or something for his pathetic ass.

Spurs9
11-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Anything less Anderson is a plus tbqh

TheGreatYacht

:lmao

r0drig0lac

BD24
11-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Anything less Anderson is a plus tbqh
Hopefully this game keeps that shitbag on the bench for the time being.

ceperez
11-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Wasn't it just last year that we were wondering who would back up Kawhi at SF?

A different kind of player, but I think Bertans is pretty decent a backup.

dabom
11-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Bertans is playing the Stretch 4 position.

apalisoc_9
11-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Bertans is an awful awful option as a backup for kawhi..He would get demolished and be super useless on defense.

At least as a stretch 4, he can contest shots in the rim and block shots...

As a 3..?

NameLess Scrub
11-25-2016, 04:59 PM
Bertans is becoming super bonner.

Chinook
11-25-2016, 05:04 PM
And to think his pick was a throw-in in the Kawhi trade. Best part is Anderson is more or less expendable if he keeps this up.

I actually think Bertans is 29 instead of 42 if the Kawhi trade doesn't happen. There were many reports that he's the guy the team was openly targeting. Could have been a weird parallel reality had it gone down that way and Hill and Green remain Spurs with Bertans moving to SA early and never getting hurt. No title, but still a damned good team.

Down Under
11-25-2016, 05:36 PM
A power forward who doesnt need his feet set and can come off screens and curls to shoot could be pretty damn important

TD 21
11-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Bertans is an awful awful option as a backup for kawhi..He would get demolished and be super useless on defense.

At least as a stretch 4, he can contest shots in the rim and block shots...

As a 3..?

I remember debating Bruno probably 3-4 years ago that he'd end up a stretch power forward. Between the way the league was trending, his skill set (range shooter, with sub par handle and lateral quickness) and profile (legit 6-10 and now roughly 230), it was obvious.

Right now, he's in a tough spot. On the one hand, they can desperately use his high percentage/volume three-point shooting, but on the other hand, Lee and Dedmon have played too well to not remain in the rotation.

Still, games like today, when the offense is scuffling and the match-up allows for it, he'll have to play because he can change a game in an instant.

cjw
11-25-2016, 05:41 PM
I actually think Bertans is 29 instead of 42 if the Kawhi trade doesn't happen. There were many reports that he's the guy the team was openly targeting. Could have been a weird parallel reality had it gone down that way and Hill and Green remain Spurs with Bertans moving to SA early and never getting hurt. No title, but still a damned good team.

But but but we could have had Jimmy Butler at 29! People love to think in a vacuum and forget that the Spurs had one PG on their roster after trading Hill plus Gary Neal, with Mills almost a year away from signing coming off an injury and heading to Australia to play during the lockout (bouncing around D league with Portland prior to that).

Spur|n|Austin
11-25-2016, 05:48 PM

coachmac87
11-25-2016, 05:48 PM
If FatHead can play the 3...Bertans can play the 3

All Mighty Janitor
11-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Play them all [the bigs] with more of a focus on match ups. Sacrifice Gasol's minutes to give those 3 more playing time and to light a fire under his ass; make Gasol earn his playing time.

BD24
11-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Will be interesting to see what his defensive metrics look like when we get a larger sample size.

T Park
11-25-2016, 08:03 PM
No reason at all Bertans can't play the three.

cutewizard
11-25-2016, 09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUOSP2khajE

cutewizard
11-25-2016, 09:35 PM

--------------------------------------

super agree :bobo

spurraider21
11-25-2016, 09:37 PM
he's very adept on the catch-and-shoot in that he hops and sets his feet before the ball arrives, so he can go RIGHT up with it for a quicker release. that alone is a HUGE improvement over bonner who had a slow and very low release which allowed him to be chased off the line quite a bit (though he did develop that one handed half-hook as a counter)

mando6599
11-25-2016, 11:42 PM
What happened to Dedmon? How long is he out for?

benfti
11-26-2016, 02:49 AM
Mills, Manu, Bertans, Lee, Deadmon.

and we never have to see Anderson again.

Fireball
11-26-2016, 05:18 AM
Gary Neal only became a rotation player because someone (James Anderson) got injured in his first season ... I think Pop likes the three point shooting of Bertans enough to keep him in the rotation as he did with Gary Neal. Deadmon is in a tough spot now tbh

John Petrucci
11-26-2016, 05:42 AM
Bertans is a special player. Huge props to the scouts :toast

Could tell right off the bat after a couple of stellar plays in summer league (even if it was SL) He just has a certain flair. Awesome combination of pure shooting, natural bball instincts and athleticism :bobo

ceperez
11-26-2016, 07:38 AM
Bertans has enough size to just shoot over his man. A play in the game against the celtics, where manu passes the ball to him. He has the option of either feeding the ball to the cutting manu under the basket, or just shooting it over the smaller man.

At SF, there's a mismatch there that's going to be exploited.

I would love to see this.... Gasol, Aldridge, Bertans, Green ... and Kawhi at point.

Mel_13
11-26-2016, 08:16 AM
Bertans has enough size to just shoot over his man. A play in the game against the celtics, where manu passes the ball to him. He has the option of either feeding the ball to the cutting manu under the basket, or just shooting it over the smaller man.

I would love to see this.... Gasol, Aldridge, Bertans, Green ... and Kawhi at point.

He's been used as a 4 almost exclusively, and with quite a bit of success.

r0drig0lac
11-26-2016, 08:30 AM

this, people just like to repeat what they hear even if it does not make sense

r0drig0lac
11-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Gary Neal only became a rotation player because someone (James Anderson) got injured in his first season ... I think Pop likes the three point shooting of Bertans enough to keep him in the rotation as he did with Gary Neal. Kyle is in a tough spot now tbh

From Downtown
11-26-2016, 08:38 AM

I love the fact that both Manu and Tony are starting to understand how to feed him effectively

TheDoctor
11-26-2016, 12:51 PM
If FatHead can play the 3...Bertans can play the 3

One thing is putting them at the "3" and the other is they actually keeping up with their respective matchups at that position.

cutewizard
11-26-2016, 01:20 PM
Guys, can we call him NINEFINGERS??!!

cutewizard
11-26-2016, 01:21 PM
I got the name, NINEFINGERS, from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXzeJOzW-Os

Dex
11-26-2016, 02:44 PM
I think Bertans should take Andersons minutes in the rotation. Use Simmons to spell Green/Manu and when we need some juice. Don't touch Lee's minutes, as he has been the most reliable bench option so far imo.

cd021
11-26-2016, 03:14 PM
I would go with Mills-Manu-Simmons-Bertans and Lee/ Dedmon at the five (depending on the match up)