PDA

View Full Version : So these guys aren't as dominant

sananspursfan21
11-25-2016, 03:20 PM
It's a tough adjustment to see these guys not obliterate their opponents anymore. But they keep winning somehow. Any NFL fans here might agree with me that they look a lot like the Kansas City Chiefs. They don't whoop anybody, don't have a lot of impressive wins, but they find a way each game. Now, of course there's tons of new faces and it's likely these guys get on a warpath and start demolishing but I'm ok if these guys consistently win regardless of the opponent deficit. Now granted, I've only been able to scoreboard watch most of these games. I've only watched 3 games so far (constantly at work during most games). Who knows how it will translate in the playoffs but I'll take what they're doing for now.

Thoughts? Am I way off here? Are these fools gold wins? Are they just playing uninspired? It seems like they're still winning a lot, just differently

jeebus
11-25-2016, 03:22 PM
It's November.

100%duncan
11-25-2016, 03:22 PM
We were dominant last regular season alright. Point differential and all.

HarlemHeat37
11-25-2016, 03:24 PM
This part of the season is largely irrelevant, tbh, especially with so many new faces..

Last year's team was predictably a RS wonder that beat up on weak competition..this season's team probably isn't a top-tier contender(can't win a title with Parker as the only PG on the team and Ginobili as the bench anchor), but they still have a while to figure things out..

dafonearth
11-25-2016, 03:35 PM
I like it. I think they're going to have a lot of close game experience come playoffs. That's part of what we were lacking last year.

cjw
11-25-2016, 04:03 PM
One thing that will help come playoff time: #1 in FT% (84%, with next best team coming in 2% below that, and the league average around 77%).

Also, while only taking 22 threes a game, they're tops in the league percentagewise with Danny missing significant time and Bertans just cracking the rotation. Pau and even LMA being willing to take threes changes the geometry of the floor a lot. Even Dedmon and Lee can hit from beyond 10 feet, which extends defenses ever so slightly to help compensate for aging Parker and Manu.

ORtg is basically at the same level as Cleveland, Toronto and Houston, with the Warriors and Clippers leading the way. While not pretty at times, the offense isn't the problem. What jumps out to me is rebounding has been middle of the pack. Less extra possessions on the offensive glass and more given up on the defensive end.

ceperez
11-25-2016, 04:08 PM
One new player in the starting five.

Three new players on the bench. Bertans, Dedmon, Lee.

3 more rookies.

Simmons and Anderson.

Yeah... chalk it up to growing pains. .813 winning percentage with 7 new guys on the team.

kaji157
11-25-2016, 04:12 PM
I see it differently.

The way i see it the team is winning and they have not even started clicking.

Once the team starts clicking youŽll see some blowouts.

Vokun
11-25-2016, 04:14 PM
You could argue that blowing teams out last year was a disadvantage tbh

dabom
11-25-2016, 04:15 PM
You could argue that blowing teams out last year was a disadvantage tbh

dabom
11-25-2016, 04:16 PM
I'd trade wins for experience.

Chinook
11-25-2016, 05:41 PM
What jumps out to me is rebounding has been middle of the pack. Less extra possessions on the offensive glass and more given up on the defensive end.

Thinking that has to do with Dedmon being out. The team was winning the board battles when the top-four bigs were healthy and Anderson was playing. If Green and Kawhi can stay in their recent modes of boarding, the team should become dominant once again.

TD 21
11-25-2016, 07:00 PM
For sure, a healthy Dedmon will improve both the defense and defensive rebounding (they were 6-8 and 1 with him and have slipped considerably in both since) but this no longer appears to be an elite defensive team. Couple that with an offense that still isn't and for the first time in a long time, they're not elite on either side of the ball.

Of the two, I'm still more concerned with the offense though, for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam.

PopTheGOAT
11-25-2016, 07:10 PM
For sure, a healthy Dedmon will improve both the defense and defensive rebounding (they were 6-8 and 1 with him and have slipped considerably in both since) but this no longer appears to be an elite defensive team. Couple that with an offense that still isn't and for the first time in a long time, they're not elite on either side of the ball.

Of the two, I'm still more concerned with the offense though, for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam.
Not concerned with the offense at all. Kawhi has taken another step, Patty is shooting much better, Bertans is an added weapon, LA is LA, and Gasol is a threat on offense unlike Duncan.

This teams problem will be defensively. We don't have a top notch rim protector and can't guard elite PGs.

TD 21
11-25-2016, 07:14 PM
Not concerned with the offense at all. Kawhi has taken another step, Patty is shooting much better, Bertans is an added weapon, LA is LA, and Gasol is a threat on offense unlike Duncan.

This teams problem will be defensively. We don't have a top notch rim protector and can't guard elite PGs.

The offense still lacks a go to creator and volume three-point shooting, though they've gotten to the line at a surprising rate and converted at a league best clip to somewhat off set that.

PopTheGOAT
11-25-2016, 07:23 PM
The offense still lacks a go to creator and volume three-point shooting, though they've gotten to the line at a surprising rate and converted at a league best clip to somewhat off set that.
Kawhi isn't a go-to creator? And we basically only have 2-3 rotation players that can't shoot the 3. That's pretty good. This team doesn't need "volume 3 point shooting." Relying on that to be successful isn't a good thing, although it's good to have. This team just needs to find the right shot through ball
movement and take it. If that shot happens to be a 3, then so be it.

TD 21
11-25-2016, 07:28 PM
Kawhi isn't a go-to creator? And we basically only have 2-3 rotation players that can't shoot the 3. That's pretty good. This team doesn't need "volume 3 point shooting." Relying on that to be successful isn't a good thing, although it's good to have. This team just needs to find the right shot through ball
movement and take it. If that shot happens to be a 3, then so be it.

Not at all, especially not for a team with championship aspirations. Being an elite perimeter player does not automatically make one that.

It's '16, being explosive offensively is essential and volume three-point shooting is one of two ways to attain it. The other is essentially the Durant/Westbrook Thunder model: Breakneck pace, get to and convert from line at elite rate and bludgeon offensive glass. For all the obvious reasons, the Spurs can't duplicate that.

Chinook
11-25-2016, 07:31 PM

But there's more to offense than just expected PPG. There's failure points as well. Right now, the Spurs have to hope for too much to go right. All four of the team's top players have to be productive offensively before guys like Bertans and Patty can swing a series. That just hasn't shown itself to be reliable yet.

apalisoc_9
11-25-2016, 07:32 PM
What About the headcase Brandon Jennings for next year? If he accepts less than 12 milion for two year with the secon year as a team option...id sign his ass next year if that was the case.

YGWHI
11-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Kawhi isn't a...
If you ask this to TD21...You might not know him yet. Most of his posts start with 'I don't blame Kawhi BUT....' 'He played well BUT...'

Anyway, defense is a BIG concern. Defensive rotations are painful to watch, they look lost most times.

skulls138
11-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Not at all, especially not for a team with championship aspirations. Being an elite perimeter player does not automatically make one that.

It's '16, being explosive offensively is essential and volume three-point shooting is one of two ways to attain it. The other is essentially the Durant/Westbrook Thunder model: Breakneck pace, get to and convert from line at elite rate and bludgeon offensive glass. For all the obvious reasons, the Spurs can't duplicate that.I think Kawhi is enough of a scoring threat combining with his other assets. Does that mean they can beat GSW? I dont know but thats only one team. If LMA can be more effective in, well, all ways, we definitely have a chance because in the playoffs size matters much more. Right now Mills looks better than last year, DG too. Lee is an upgrade over West and maybe Bertans is finding himself.

T Park
11-25-2016, 08:07 PM

Dedmond and Gasol have protected the rim just fine and will only get better.

spurraider21
11-25-2016, 08:14 PM
I'd trade wins for experience.yeah, which is why i have zero problem with pop going mad scientist mode, randomly benching stars, and letting the scrubs get some starts/minutes under their belts, while people like robz whining about pop "costing us games"

YGWHI
11-25-2016, 08:36 PM
This part of the season is largely irrelevant, tbh, especially with so many new faces..

Last year's team was predictably a RS wonder that beat up on weak competition..this season's team probably isn't a top-tier contender(can't win a title with Parker as the only PG on the team and Ginobili as the bench anchor), but they still have a while to figure things out..

Exactly.

Also, this team is unbalanced. Both PGs are better offensively than defensively.

And teams know and exploit it.
In the next minute, the same play, this time was Rozier getting AND 1 on Parker.

Parker and Manu won't be 'consistently' good against elite guards. Pop's loyalty will cost the Spurs a lot this season.

sananspursfan21
11-25-2016, 09:03 PM
It's November.

I don't have a calendar anymore. Thank you!

TD 21
11-26-2016, 05:56 PM
I think Kawhi is enough of a scoring threat combining with his other assets. Does that mean they can beat GSW? I dont know but thats only one team. If LMA can be more effective in, well, all ways, we definitely have a chance because in the playoffs size matters much more. Right now Mills looks better than last year, DG too. Lee is an upgrade over West and maybe Bertans is finding himself.

Go to creator = someone adept at both scoring and making plays for others in a variety of ways.

tholdren
11-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Exactly.

Also, this team is unbalanced. Both PGs are better offensively than defensively.

And teams know and exploit it.
In the next minute, the same play, this time was Rozier getting AND 1 on Parker.

Parker and Manu won't be 'consistently' good against elite guards. Pop's loyalty will cost the Spurs a lot this season.
Teams dont know squat. The nba is comprised of low level IQ entertainers, not basketball players. Fans forget this.

skin27
11-26-2016, 10:17 PM
We were dominant early in the season last year too.. remember? We had historical defense, 15 points point differential, etc...we have an easy schedule so far that's why we're winning..:lol

daslicer
11-26-2016, 10:21 PM
We were dominant early in the season last year too.. remember? We had historical defense, 15 points point differential, etc...we have an easy schedule so far that's why we're winning..:lol

Outside of the Warriors,Clippers,Cavs the rest of the league is garbage. So I don't think you can really make the argument about an easy schedule.

Seventyniner
11-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Outside of the Warriors,Clippers,Cavs the rest of the league is garbage. So I don't think you can really make the argument about an easy schedule.

True, the Spurs have played 2 of their 9 games against that group already, a little less than a quarter, while being a little less than a quarter of the way through the season. That plus 10 out of 17 having been on the road, I'd put the schedule strength at around average right now.

skin27
11-26-2016, 10:47 PM
Maybe your right..it looks like the Spurs will win their next 9 games with the streak stop at LA vs the clippers on December 22..they might also lose the game against the bulls or rockets..

daslicer
11-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Maybe your right..it looks like the Spurs will win their next 9 games with the streak stop at LA vs the clippers on December 22..they might also lose the game against the bulls or rockets..

I have the Spurs winning in the range of 57-63 games this year if they remain healthy. When they are focused they are guaranteed the win against any team that is not Cavs,Warriors,Clippers. I do expect them to lose some games due to lack of focus which is inevitable and also due to fluky performances by the competition.. Also I think Pop will try to lose some games just to teach the team a lesson.

Kawhitstorm
11-26-2016, 11:20 PM
It's '16, being explosive offensively is essential and volume three-point shooting is one of two ways to attain it. The other is essentially the Durant/Westbrook Thunder model: Breakneck pace, get to and convert from line at elite rate and bludgeon offensive glass. For all the obvious reasons, the Spurs can't duplicate that.

The team is going to go as far as Softridge is going to take them against the Cavs/Duds/Cripples, he has to put up 25/10 in 4 out of 7 games which he's capable of against single coverage.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-27-2016, 06:36 AM
True, the Spurs have played 2 of their 9 games against that group already, a little less than a quarter, while being a little less than a quarter of the way through the season. That plus 10 out of 17 having been on the road, I'd put the schedule strength at around average right now.

5th toughest when it comes to strength of schedule prior to the Wizards game.

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 07:13 AM
One new player in the starting five.

Three new players on the bench. Bertans, Dedmon, Lee.

3 more rookies.

Simmons and Anderson.

Yeah... chalk it up to growing pains. .813 winning percentage with 7 new guys on the team.
Good points. :tu

TD 21
11-27-2016, 05:20 PM
The team is going to go as far as Softridge is going to take them against the Cavs/Duds/Cripples, he has to put up 25/10 in 4 out of 7 games which he's capable of against single coverage.

:lmao Trying to prematurely absolve Leonard of blame when they inevitably lose to the Clippers or if injury strikes them, the Warriors.

It goes without saying that Aldridge needs to play at least near his capacity to have a chance in a series against the three other elites, but I've never understood when people say, "(insert player) has to average (insert arbitrary numbers) against (insert team)". There's no way of knowing what he'll need to average to beat them.

Dex
11-27-2016, 05:22 PM
:lol Today's Spurs fans :lol

Some of you seriously would have slit your wrists in the 80s and 90s.

dabom
11-27-2016, 05:31 PM

:lol

Kawhitstorm
11-27-2016, 06:34 PM
It goes without saying that Aldridge needs to play at least near his capacity to have a chance in a series against the three other elites, but I've never understood when people say, "(insert player) has to average (insert arbitrary numbers) against (insert team)". There's no way of knowing what he'll need to average to beat them.

Dummy, I said AT LEAST. Pau is borderline unplayable against the elite teams so the scoring burden is going to fall on Kawhi/LMA as far as the starters are concerned. Last I checked LMA isn't exactly known for his playmaking so he has to at least drop 25 as a HIGH usage player if he's single covered which is basically what he averaged per 36 minutes against the Rockets in 2014 when he had at least 25 in all four of the Blazers victories.
Softridge playing at "high capacity" is him getting buckets, let's not beat around the bushes. :wakeup

dabom
11-27-2016, 06:40 PM
edit. Wrong thread.

TD 21
11-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Dummy, I said AT LEAST. Pau is borderline unplayable against the elite teams so the scoring burden is going to fall on Kawhi/LMA as far as the starters are concerned. Last I checked LMA isn't exactly known for his playmaking so he has to at least drop 25 as a HIGH usage player if he's single covered which is basically what he averaged per 36 minutes against the Rockets in 2014 when he had at least 25 in all four of the Blazers victories.
Softridge playing at "high capacity" is him getting buckets, let's not beat around the bushes. :wakeup

:lmao Still using that corny ass insult.

No, you didn't say "AT LEAST" and even if you had, that wouldn't change shit. Picking arbitrary numbers and claiming a player needs to at least hit that threshold is stupid.

I said his capacity, not high capacity. His capacity entails essentially playing how he did for much of last season. That means quick decisions with the ball, rebounding at a solid rate and playing solid all around defense.

Kawhitstorm
11-27-2016, 07:25 PM
I said his capacity, not high capacity. His capacity entails essentially playing how he did for much of last season. That means quick decisions with the ball, rebounding at a solid rate and playing solid all around defense.

November Parker isn't showing up in the postseason just like he hasn't the past two postseasons, the offense is going to be throwing it to LMA/Kawhi & playing ISO ball every time down the floor sprinkled with PnPs where teams force Porker to be a scorer. That's the reason I said he has to put up 25/10 b/c scoring from anyone else besides Kawhi/LMA is going to be hard to come by in the postseason especially when Patty is going to be exposed on defense thus can't play heavy minutes.

Horse
11-27-2016, 08:15 PM

No kidding Crying pussies