View Full Version : Spurs are 5-0...

ElNono
11-25-2016, 03:56 PM
when Fathead plays 10 mins or less...

discuss

dabom
11-25-2016, 03:57 PM
:lol

I was gonna make a fathead thread too...

dabom
11-25-2016, 03:57 PM
I know chinook and sag are probably nice people but they suck at basketball takes. :lol

BD24
11-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Heres to continuing to sit his ass. Maybe we can get a second rounder out of him from a shitty team like Philly or someone. :toast

Side note, someone may want to check on SAgirl and make sure she isn't slitting her wrists.

Canyonero
11-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Damn, that's some quantum shit right there.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PwHNBxqVzA0/hqdefault.jpg

HarlemHeat37
11-25-2016, 04:14 PM
His career needs a change of scenery, he needs an opportunity to have the ball in his hands on a shitty team's 2nd unit, tbh..it's the only way he could find a niche and build a productive career..he's only 23..

Spurs' desperately need another veteran PG to run the offense as an alternative to Parker for when he's injured/struggling, they don't have another real option on the roster(Manu is no longer trustworthy and Mills can't run the offense)..

A shitty 3rd string veteran would be fine IMO, somebody like Jameer Nelson or Beno Udrih..

100%duncan
11-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Anderson for Embiid

GOD IT FEELS GOOD TO SEE THIS FAGGOT ON THE BENCH

SAGirl
11-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Deflection thread bc Manu has been playing poorly...:lol

(I haven't watched these games TBH, but it seems to me that it's been Bertans hot shooting saving guys asses in the 2nd unit)...

SAGirl
11-25-2016, 04:18 PM
His career needs a change of scenery, he needs an opportunity to have the ball in his hands on a shitty team's 2nd unit, tbh..it's the only way he could find a niche and build a productive career..he's only 23..

Spurs' desperately need another veteran PG to run the offense as an alternative to Parker for when he's injured/struggling, they don't have another real option on the roster(Manu is no longer trustworthy and Mills can't run the offense)..

A shitty 3rd string veteran would be fine IMO, somebody like Jameer Nelson or Beno Udrih..
I agree. Who knows with PATFO though... They probably think the guards they have are fine... though they did move on from Ray Mccallum last season, so it's possible.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lapro play in some upcoming games. Pop probably wants to test him early I imagine.

100%duncan
11-25-2016, 04:19 PM

(I haven't watched these games TBH, but it seems to me that it's been Bertans hot shooting saving guys asses in the 2nd unit)...

PLAYER FAN SMH

dabom
11-25-2016, 04:20 PM
PLAYER FAN SMH

Coincides with Fathead not playing. :lmao

Poolboy5623
11-25-2016, 04:20 PM
But is it FAIR?

TheGreatYacht
11-25-2016, 04:22 PM
https://m.popkey.co/db09b6/GJV5r.gif

SAGirl
11-25-2016, 04:22 PM
PLAYER FAN SMH
I am on holiday dude... just g box score in my cell. So truly have to be honest I haven't watched the last few games. If I was a player fab exclusively I wouldn't bother chatting at all... lol

dabom
11-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Spurs were Champs before drafting Fathead.

Mikeanaro
11-25-2016, 04:49 PM
You know he is saving Fathead for the Playoffs...

Nathan89
11-25-2016, 04:56 PM
What do people expect Kyle to do with the ball in his hands more? The only way that works out is if he has great off ball players like Curry and Klay running around to pass to. Otherwise he'll be guarded by one player with no ability to draw doubles or shift the defense.

Chinook
11-25-2016, 05:01 PM
What do people expect Kyle to do with the ball in his hands more? The only way that works out is if he has great off ball players like Curry and Klay running around to pass to. Otherwise he'll be guarded by one player with no ability to draw doubles or shift the defense.

That's not really the way it works. Off-ball guys prevent doubles. They don't help someone draw them. Indeed, floor-spacing is always important, but they aren't going to help Anderson unless he's already able to score one-on-one. That's what is debatable. Last season, Anderson was actually great at it. This season, he hasn't been great at anything. If Kyle isn't scoring well enough to draw doubles, then he won't be effective with the ball in his hands no matter who's behind the arc.

Nathan89
11-25-2016, 05:10 PM
That's not really the way it works. Off-ball guys prevent doubles. They don't help someone draw them. Indeed, floor-spacing is always important, but they aren't going to help Anderson unless he's already able to score one-on-one. That's what is debatable. Last season, Anderson was actually great at it. This season, he hasn't been great at anything. If Kyle isn't scoring well enough to draw doubles, then he won't be effective with the ball in his hands no matter who's behind the arc.

I wasn't saying they'd help him draw a double team. Anderson needs players that can get open off ball instead of depending on him to get them open.

dabom
11-25-2016, 05:12 PM
I wasn't saying they'd help him draw a double team. Anderson needs players that can get open off ball instead of depending on him to get them open.

Then what is Fathead good for then? :lol

Nathan89
11-25-2016, 05:17 PM
Then what is Fathead good for then? :lol

Well he supposed be a good passer with good bball iq so that would help take advantage of those offensive assets. Balanced that off with some increase production in other areas on offense and he might work alright. He'd certainly be a fine piece if you think he's a good defender(which is debatable on here).

dabom
11-25-2016, 05:20 PM
Well he supposed be a good passer with good bball iq so that would help take advantage of those offensive assets. Balanced that off with some increase production in other areas on offense and he might work alright. He'd certainly be a fine piece if you think he's a good defender(which is debatable on here).

I'm saying anyone can do a regular pass. :lol

DMC
11-25-2016, 05:22 PM
Spurs were Champs before drafting Manu, Tony and Kawhi

fify

Chinook
11-25-2016, 05:27 PM
I wasn't saying they'd help him draw a double team.

But they wouldn't. They'd prevent him from getting doubled. Who the hell would leave Curry open to double Anderson? The benefit of those guys is that Anderson would have an easier time scoring. He'd have an easier time passing if they were actually terrible off-ball players.

Anderson needs players that can get open off ball instead of depending on him to get them open.

I don't disagree that it's nice to have players who can get themselves open, but that's not really something that affects Anderson. He is there to pass. He can't do that until he starts to score. Otherwise, teams won't respect him and just stick with their men.

Chinook
11-25-2016, 05:29 PM
I am on holiday dude...

Do people in the US call it "holiday"? That's usually a cue to me that I'm reading something from someone from a different country.

bklynspursfan
11-25-2016, 05:34 PM

Not so much aside from today really. It's been different guys stepping up at different times on the 2nd unit. (Lee/Manu/Patty/Bertans) But it's really been the starters playing better overall as the difference

SAGirl
11-25-2016, 05:35 PM
Do people in the US call it "holiday"? That's usually a cue to me that I'm reading something from someone from a different country.
I thought it's an expression... a way to sum up holiday vacation.

Chinook
11-25-2016, 05:38 PM
I thought it's an expression... a way to sum up holiday vacation.

And it might be. I just know it as a way for people who come from the British branch of English to say "vacation". But language's only rule is that people can understand what you're saying so obviously, my assumption could be wrong.

SAGirl
11-25-2016, 05:47 PM
But they wouldn't. They'd prevent him from getting doubled. Who the hell would leave Curry open to double Anderson? The benefit of those guys is that Anderson would have an easier time scoring. He'd have an easier time passing if they were actually terrible off-ball players.

I don't disagree that it's nice to have players who can get themselves open, but that's not really something that affects Anderson. He is there to pass. He can't do that until he starts to score. Otherwise, teams won't respect him and just stick with their men.
Needs to go to another team to develop further. I would not say Pop has given up on him bc if he had, he wouldn't have picked up his option but when Pop said he wasn't going to be a guy who was going to be scoring much that told me his role was meant to be marginal anyways. I think what we see is by design. It doesn't matter as the team is doing well anyways.

One would only care about this if there was interest in the player.

Chinook
11-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Needs to go to another team to develop further. I would not say Pop has given up on him bc if he had, he wouldn't have picked up his option but when Pop said he wasn't going to be a guy who was going to be scoring much that told me his role was meant to be marginal anyways. I think what we see is by design. It doesn't matter as the team is doing well anyways.

One would only care about this if there was interest in the player.

I don't necessarily agree he needs to go to another team. He's not like Murray. The skill level is fine. He needs to get his head straight. Going from golden prospect to outcast might be what he needs to light the fire. Someone said Pop was starving Anderson to make him hungry. I hope whoever said that was right.

coachmac87
11-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Kevin Martin retired

Chinook
11-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Kevin Martin retired

A year too late.

coachmac87
11-25-2016, 06:03 PM
A year too late.

Yeah...just like his buddy Rasual

YGWHI
11-25-2016, 06:20 PM
It's hard to understand some guys here...We shouldn't celebrate that a Spurs project that the team wanted to develop for three years, didn't meet expectations early in the season.

TD 21
11-25-2016, 06:41 PM
The Nets might be the only team in the league that might allow Anderson to run their 2nd unit. Terrible team, in desperate need of youth, no creator off the bench and Marks is also familiar with him.

I'd offer Anderson, Laprovitolla and Forbes for Bogdanovic. They probably don't do it, but it's at least worth a shot and it would accomplish a myriad of things . . .

- 4th wing upgrade and another decent volume 3-point shooter, that could probably be better than that in more of a spot up role.

- He'd need to be re-signed first, but good enough to be the 3rd wing next season, when Ginobil is likely retired.

- Clear out the logjam at guard and open up roster space to balance the roster. They could do so anytime, but this way they'd have a youngish rotation player to show for Laprovitolla or Forbes, just in case either becomes a rotation player elsewhere.

ElNono
11-25-2016, 06:50 PM

Manu is in his last legs, tbh... no deflection there. Feel free to start a Manu is done thread, don't think it's ever been done before, IMO...

BD24
11-25-2016, 06:53 PM
Yup was thinking the same.

apalisoc_9
11-25-2016, 07:10 PM
The Nets might be the only team in the league that might allow Anderson to run their 2nd unit. Terrible team, in desperate need of youth, no creator off the bench and Marks is also familiar with him.

I'd offer Anderson, Laprovitolla and Forbes for Bogdanovic. They probably don't do it, but it's at least worth a shot and it would accomplish a myriad of things . . .

- 4th wing upgrade and another decent volume 3-point shooter, that could probably be better than that in more of a spot up role.

- He'd need to be re-signed first, but good enough to be the 3rd wing next season, when Ginobil is likely retired.

- Clear out the logjam at guard and open up roster space to balance the roster. They could do so anytime, but this way they'd have a youngish rotation player to show for Laprovitolla or Forbes, just in case either becomes a rotation player elsewhere.

Bojan is like their second best player..Surely they can get more for their second or third best player :lol..

Philly lacks playmaking and Iso scoring off the bench..Maybe offer Kyle for thompson even though the likely hood of that trade happening is below 5%

TD 21
11-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Bojan is like their second best player..Surely they can get more for their second or third best player :lol..

Philly lacks playmaking and Iso scoring off the bench..Maybe offer Kyle for thompson even though the likely hood of that trade happening is below 5%

Third, behind Lopez and Lin. Like I said, they probably wouldn't do it, but it's at least worth trying. Who knows, maybe Marks overrates Anderson just like the Spurs have?

The 76ers have Simmons and Saric, two far better prospects who project as play making or point forward types.

Difficult to say how their rotation ultimately shakes out, but Saric and Rodriguez both might come off the bench, in which case having shooters like Stauskas and Thompson would make more sense than Anderson.

Also, the Spurs probably still like Anderson too much to trade him for a player as limited as Thompson.

SAGirl
11-26-2016, 01:40 AM
Manu is in his last legs, tbh... no deflection there. Feel free to start a Manu is done thread, don't think it's ever been done before, IMO...
Nah I haven't been watching these games either... but what I have seen if him hasn't been very good. He's averaging a generous C, and that is only bc he competes, by that I mean he scraps, gets a steal or something to try to change momentum... one cannot doubt his desire...

SAGirl
11-26-2016, 01:43 AM
It's hard to understand some guys here...We shouldn't celebrate that a Spurs project that the team wanted to develop for three years, didn't meet expectations early in the season.Taking shots at a young guy while he's not playing. Bad taste schtick TBH. Apparently they can't troll Tony lately bc he's been clutch so they have to pick on the young guy.

ElNono
11-26-2016, 01:47 AM
Nah I haven't been watching these games either... but what I have seen if him hasn't been very good. He's averaging a generous C, and that is only bc he competes, by that I mean he scraps, gets a steal or something to try to change momentum... one cannot doubt his desire...

Nobody beats father time, tbh... at least he hasn't completely lost a step defensively, or he would be completely done...

But back to the main topic, regardless of the troll thread material, just disappointed in Kyle and also in Simms, tbh... Simms has been playing, but as I mentioned after the first game against the Dubs, the keyword here is consistency, and he's been wildly inconsistent...

skin27
11-26-2016, 02:32 AM
Trade that faggot and give his minutes to Simmons or Bertans!!

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 02:50 AM
It's hard to understand some guys here...We shouldn't celebrate that a Spurs project that the team wanted to develop for three years, didn't meet expectations early in the season.

We should because now he doesn't take up minutes from more deserving guys.

Spurtacular
11-26-2016, 03:46 AM
I know chinook and sag are probably nice people but they suck at basketball takes. :lol

Safe space poster acting up.

Chinook
11-26-2016, 04:07 AM
We should because now he doesn't take up minutes from more deserving guys.

No, not really. Unless this is just the Bertans we're going to see from now on, Anderson wasn't passed up by better players. He fell behind worse players. This isn't a Danny Green/James Anderson situation where a player busted but it was okay because the Spurs found their long-term starter anyway. Outside of flash games, Anderson's suckitude has had a pretty strong impact on the team's stability.

Until the Spurs find someone to consistently do what they hoped Anderson would do, the fact that Anderson has been benched should be a thing of mourning, not celebration.

Kikoluna
11-26-2016, 04:11 AM
Man, what are you smoking? ? Kyle "13 minute mile" is worthless and a shame to spurs history. I'm convinced I can score on him. One of the biggest mysteries in history us how he remains in THE NBA, or entered for that matter.

ElNono
11-26-2016, 05:19 AM
No, not really. Unless this is just the Bertans we're going to see from now on, Anderson wasn't passed up by better players. He fell behind worse players. This isn't a Danny Green/James Anderson situation where a player busted but it was okay because the Spurs found their long-term starter anyway. Outside of flash games, Anderson's suckitude has had a pretty strong impact on the team's stability.

Until the Spurs find someone to consistently do what they hoped Anderson would do, the fact that Anderson has been benched should be a thing of mourning, not celebration.

I don't know that people are celebrating his suckitude, but let's not pretend it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities... his potential quality as an NBA player was a pretty giant question mark entering this season.

dabom
11-26-2016, 05:22 AM
I don't know that people are celebrating his suckitude, but let's not pretend it wasn't out of the realm of possibilities... his potential quality as an NBA player was a pretty giant question mark entering this season.

We sure will miss that ISO scoring vs the Warriors in the WCFs now...

coachmac87
11-26-2016, 05:27 AM

That would be such a steal. Such an underrated player...not sure how much he'd get in free agency tho

SAGirl
11-26-2016, 06:21 AM
I don't necessarily agree he needs to go to another team. He's not like Murray. The skill level is fine. He needs to get his head straight. Going from golden prospect to outcast might be what he needs to light the fire. Someone said Pop was starving Anderson to make him hungry. I hope whoever said that was right.
Its possible, but I don't think that's it.

Davis has nothing to do with it. Even in the summer when guys were arguing about Bertans being a 3, Pop had already told Davis he was going to play the 4. That was always the plan.

For Kyle, it's complicated. He is not fully developed as a player. Much as guys criticize that he's a 3rd season player, he is young enough to have entered the league this season and his real rookie season was spent in the dleague learning how to play as something else than what he had been successful at in college. Ppl ignore that his learning curve was huge. He wasn't so much progressing from what he did in college than just going in a separate direction altogether. That is tough to do.

On top of that, Pop didn't know for certain what his ideal spot was, playing him all over the map in his second season trying to figure that out. So he enters his 3rd season still in a developmental stage and apparently with Pop just as undecided. It's just not the kind of thing that's going to generate success or be solved by just putting pressure.

The benchings are going to come bc of fit at this point (Heck when Dedmon gets back to health one of the bigs is going to get benched at times bc someone is going to have to sit regardless). He's going to have to shoot the 3 more, but he's not going to outshoot Davis or be a better athlete than Simmons. He can only be a better version of himself and the Spurs don't currently have a need for what is special about him based on last season and what's worse, they are not blowing other teams out which means that there's not even much garbage time at all to iron out kinks in guys games or work on getting confidence back.

As a still developing player he should have been better than last season in the right situation for himself, but the Spurs aren't the right situation bc they went in a different direction spotting him up off the ball even more than b4 and using him even less. What little they have him doing, you can ask of Garino. Garino can be your 5th wing if you like, and Bertans might give you some spot minutes at the 3 if you are desperate with an injured guy. Heck for what the Spurs are asking Kyle to do you can call Rasual Butler back, that tells you all you need to know in terms of how little the Spurs are asking of him and how underutilized he is.

I guess what I am saying is that I still like Slow-mo but the one from last season. This season's guy has been restricted to a kind of 3-D role that's ill suited for him and that's painful even to watch. It's not who he is and its a waste of what made him unique. He has to improve on his 3 ball and his off the ball play anyways, so maybe in the long term the struggle from this season makes him a better all around player, but he would have to play to even get a chance to improve and I don't see that happening bc of fit Chinook. It's not about him, it's about the team, yada, yada.

I think a trade might best for both player and team, but I doubt it happens.

It is what it is. I don't expect him to do much at all this season at this rate, though it's early. And once one doesn't expect much from him why have him in the team at all. I still like his game, but again the Kyle from last season, who was more of a playmaker and off the bounce scorer than spot up shooter. The guy Pop is trying to box in a very small role is going to struggle in that box... then he's not playing enough to gain and retain confidence even in that box. So whatever. Let the troll have his day celebrating how a 23 year old Spur player has been unable to build upon success last season. That great for the Spurs right?

dabom
11-26-2016, 06:28 AM
Its possible, but I don't think that's it.

Davis has nothing to do with it. Even in the summer when guys were arguing about Bertans being a 3, Pop had already told Davis he was going to play the 4. That was always the plan.

For Kyle, it's complicated. He is not fully developed as a player. Much as guys criticize that he's a 3rd season player, he is young enough to have entered the league this season and his real rookie season was spent in the dleague learning how to play as something else than what he had been successful at in college. Ppl ignore that his learning curve was huge. He wasn't so much progressing from what he did in college than just going in a separate direction altogether. That is tough to do.

On top of that, Pop didn't know for certain what his ideal spot was, playing him all over the map in his second season trying to figure that out. So he enters his 3rd season still in a developmental stage and apparently with Pop just as undecided. It's just not the kind of thing that's going to generate success or be solved by just putting pressure.

The benchings are going to come bc of fit at this point (Heck when Dedmon gets back to health one of the bigs is going to get benched at times bc someone is going to have to sit regardless). He's going to have to shoot the 3 more, but he's not going to outshoot Davis or be a better athlete than Simmons. He can only be a better version of himself and the Spurs don't currently have a need for what is special about him based on last season and what's worse, they are not blowing other teams out which means that there's not even much garbage time at all to iron out kinks in guys games or work on getting confidence back.

As a still developing player he should have been better than last season in the right situation for himself, but the Spurs aren't the right situation bc they went in a different direction spotting him up off the ball even more than b4 and using him even less. What little they have him doing, you can ask of Garino. Garino can be your 5th wing if you like, and Bertans might give you some spot minutes at the 3 if you are desperate with an injured guy. Heck for what the Spurs are asking Kyle to do you can call Rasual Butler back, that tells you all you need to know in terms of how little the Spurs are asking of him and how underutilized he is.

I guess what I am saying is that I still like Slow-mo but the one from last season. This season's guy has been restricted to a kind of 3-D role that's ill suited for him and that's painful even to watch. It's not who he is and its a waste of what made him unique. He has to improve on his 3 ball and his off the ball play anyways, so maybe in the long term the struggle from this season makes him a better all around player, but he would have to play to even get a chance to improve and I don't see that happening bc of fit Chinook. It's not about him, it's about the team, yada, yada.

I think a trade might best for both player and team, but I doubt it happens.

It is what it is. I don't expect him to do much at all this season at this rate, though it's early. And once one doesn't expect much from him why have him in the team at all. I still like his game, but again the Kyle from last season, who was more of a playmaker and off the bounce scorer than spot up shooter. The guy Pop is trying to box in a very small role is going to struggle in that box... then he's not playing enough to gain and retain confidence even in that box. So whatever. Let the troll have his day celebrating how a 23 year old Spur player has been unable to build upon success last season. That great for the Spurs right?

You are the Spurtacular equivalent for Kyle Anderson. :lol

You are the one with the shtick here. :lol

dabom
11-26-2016, 06:31 AM
I'm more interested in the Spurs success than Fatheads tbh.

SAGirl
11-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Nobody beats father time, tbh... at least he hasn't completely lost a step defensively, or he would be completely done...

But back to the main topic, regardless of the troll thread material, just disappointed in Kyle and also in Simms, tbh... Simms has been playing, but as I mentioned after the first game against the Dubs, the keyword here is consistency, and he's been wildly inconsistent...
I can't judge Simms much bc I have missed this last few games but he has had his share of 0 scoring games and lack of productive games and in a couple of early games he statpadded in garbage time. If that had been Kyle with those poor production games ppl would be trolling (Heck they are still trolling and Kyle hasn't been playing). But anyways here's my honest take on both. They are different players but they both have talent. Simmons is probably more ball dominant than Kyle at this point, who despite his struggles worked on off the ball play in the summer (he spotted up off the ball more than you credit him for in the summer and posted up just a little bit, but the summer league this time was very much about Simms).

Here's the thing with both: the burden to score is not on either of them and they don't have carte Blanche to take whatever they want. It's on Patty, Manu and Lee to carry the scoring, then everyone else. I think Pop wants both to shoot the 3 more, but neither is a natural sharpshooter. Simmons has been very off and passing up his share if shots, Kyle we all know his passiveness, but he's under a lot of pressure at this point.

But they have to find shots within the offense and play off others which means,they will be up and down... whoever of them is playing and right now that's Simms. If either had license to take their preferred shots, etc they would score mire buy they will also struggle attempting to do that, Simmons might increase his TO for example when so far he's been super stellar passing and Kyle I don't know but he's been strictly off the ball cutting and at the 3 and his last name is not Bertans or Forbes so he's not going to score a lot like that.

For Simmons that does become a problem when Dedmo n is back and the bench needs more shooting. Manu had been bailing that Dedmon/Simmons unit with insane step back 3s and stuff like that.

Chinook
11-26-2016, 08:30 AM

It wasn't out of the realm of possibility at all. But it was the Spurs second-biggest shot at internal improvement behind Kawhi reaching MVP status. That Anderson's been so underwhelming that he feel behind a rookie and an inconsistent 27-year-old sucks. Spurs would be a much better team now and in the future if it had worked out, which is nothing to make a shit ton of threads lauding.

Chinook
11-26-2016, 08:54 AM
SAG, you're freaking out for no reason, writing his eulogy. Anderson will play a lot of minutes this year (pause for gasps). He's still the 11th man. He will have time to prove himself again. They just guaranteed him $2-plus Million for next year. He'll be in the plans for a while, despite the suggestion that they should dump him for a pick. He just has to get it. He's running out of chances to do so, but he still have some. That doesn't mean he has to shoot every three he looks at. It just means he has to not defer. Until Pop tells him he's shooting too much, forcing things too much, he's being too passive. That's not something that takes a Lifetime movie to figure out. It'll just click if it happens, whether in SA or on a different team.

We are one fifth of the way through the penultimate season of his rookie contract. At this point in Cory's career, he had picked up four DNPs and was averaging 3/1/1 with no defensive stats, 43-percent shooting and no threes made. He was relegated only to garbage time, averaging under six minutes a game. Yet there were some of us on this site who liked him and wanted him to play more, and there were plenty, plenty of posters who wrote him off. Cory's problems were almost identical to Anderson's. He got over it eventually.

GSH
11-26-2016, 09:53 AM
So you see... your use of the word "holiday" was inconsistent with your presumed level of education and country of origin. But language's only rule is that people can understand what you're saying, and you obviously don't care about that.

http://previews.123rf.com/images/racorn/racorn1308/racorn130801364/21258150-Male-professor-correcting-confused-student-while-teaching-her-in-classroom-Stock-Photo.jpg

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 10:07 AM

BRO PLEASE STOP. He did not fell behind worse players. The best shooter in Europe with defensive potential plus tools to be a stretch four is NOT a WORSE PLAYER than Kyle fucking Anderson. And Simmons' minutes were given to Kyle latter part last year and in the playoffs, PRETTY SURE he is not a worse player. Please stop. God.

TheDoctor
11-26-2016, 10:56 AM

PATFO could continue the habit of fucking the League (in this case Detroit) and somehow negotiate with them a trade between Kyle and Ish Smith tbh

Ish can pass, can run an offense and although he's not an elite finisher Ish can drive to the hole and score in bunches. In other words, he would be a perfect fit coming off the bench.

Chinook
11-26-2016, 12:56 PM
BRO PLEASE STOP. He did not fell behind worse players. The best shooter in Europe with defensive potential plus tools to be a stretch four is NOT a WORSE PLAYER than Kyle fucking Anderson. And Simmons' minutes were given to Kyle latter part last year and in the playoffs, PRETTY SURE he is not a worse player. Please stop. God.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Kyle isn't better than those guys, especially the way he's playing now. But the Spurs needed him to be, because they needed someone to be better than what they're getting right now from their rotation outside Kawhi, LMA, Green, Gasol and maybe Mills. Anderson was supposed to be that guy. But he didn't get passed up; he fell behind. So the Spurs still need to find the guy to fill that role. Anderson getting benched is a bad thing, even if he deserved it, because it means the team has to make a move. Bertans being a consistent 12-15ppg guy would be awesome, but he's probably not close to being there right now. And Simmons hasn't been good in a while. So the team will have to make a move.

Anderson sucking means a trade is more likely to come. That won't be the Kyle dump you and others want it to be. It's likely going cost picks, prospects and maybe a rotation player. Are you still going to be celebrating if this results in a deal like Mills/Dedmon/first for Teague/Christmas deal? That's the kind of thing that could happen giving how bad the bench looks for long stretches now.

TheDoctor
11-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Fathead just doing his best LBJ impersonation by coasting the regular season. Just wait till those Playoffs 4th quarters starting spots.

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 01:04 PM
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Kyle isn't better than those guys, especially the way he's playing now. But the Spurs needed him to be, because they needed someone to be better than what they're getting right now from their rotation outside Kawhi, LMA, Green, Gasol and maybe Mills. Anderson was supposed to be that guy. But he didn't get passed up; he fell behind. So the Spurs still need to find the guy to fill that role. Anderson getting benched is a bad thing, even if he deserved it, because it means the team has to make a move. Bertans being a consistent 12-15ppg guy would be awesome, but he's probably not close to being there right now. And Simmons hasn't been good in a while. So the team will have to make a move.

Anderson sucking means a trade is more likely to come. That won't be the Kyle dump you and others want it to be. It's likely going cost picks, prospects and maybe a rotation player. Are you still going to be celebrating if this results in a deal like Mills/Dedmon/first for Teague/Christmas deal? That's the kind of thing that could happen giving how bad the bench looks for long stretches now.

Im pretty sure you said "Anderson wasn't passed up by better players. He fell behind worse players."

MaNu4Tres
11-26-2016, 01:20 PM
No team would ever double team Kyle Anderson.

No team in the NBA is bad enough for Anderson to be the lead initiator for a bench either.

Kyle will be in Europe or in China in 2-3 years.

Chinook
11-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Im pretty sure you said "Anderson wasn't passed up by better players. He fell behind worse players."

Yes, in contrast to James Anderson and Green. Danny surpassed what anyone could have hoped Anderson would bring, so it really wasn't a big deal that James ended up busting. These guys playing now aren't surpassing what the Spurs wanted from Kyle. He's just been so bad that they have to play instead. Imagine if Green was never Green in 2012, and the Spurs just had Simmons instead. That's basically what's happened this year but with a different (thankfully less critical) spot in the rotation. Hopefully, Bertans has arrived and isn't just flashing. But even if he's legit from here on out, there's a huge lack of perimeter play and ball-handlers who are up to snuff in playoffs competition.

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Yes, in contrast to James Anderson and Green. Danny surpassed what anyone could have hoped Anderson would bring, so it really wasn't a big deal that James ended up busting. These guys playing now aren't surpassing what the Spurs wanted from Kyle. He's just been so bad that they have to play instead. Imagine if Green was never Green in 2012, and the Spurs just had Simmons instead. That's basically what's happened this year but with a different (thankfully less critical) spot in the rotation. Hopefully, Bertans has arrived and isn't just flashing. But even if he's legit from here on out, there's a huge lack of perimeter play and ball-handlers who are up to snuff in playoffs competition.

They are still not worse players and they certainly are clearly much better potential, current production wise.

ElNono
11-26-2016, 02:42 PM
It wasn't out of the realm of possibility at all. But it was the Spurs second-biggest shot at internal improvement behind Kawhi reaching MVP status. That Anderson's been so underwhelming that he feel behind a rookie and an inconsistent 27-year-old sucks. Spurs would be a much better team now and in the future if it had worked out, which is nothing to make a shit ton of threads lauding.

Ofcourse it sucks. The question then becomes what do the Spurs do if they've any intentions of potentially salvaging the season.

It's obvious Kyle or Simms alone wont get you much of anything in return and Tony and Manu are not going anywhere.

Maybe nothing will happen, tbh, this will be just a transition year, but I don't think the Spurs can afford to have many of these and retain guys like LMA or even Kawhi...

spursistan
11-26-2016, 02:59 PM
The over-analysis for a player of his low caliber is sometimes infuriating, but hey that's reality of internet sport boards.. :lol.

People acting like him shitting the bed has been a big surprise when it's been a pre-season theme all along, and now Bertans has rightfully vault-jumped him in the rotation as it was pretty evident in those exhibitions he would be a better fit ..

For hitherto fringe players, NBA careers are made when the main guys or their primary backups are injured and you get the call to fill in; Anderson failure to seize his starting gig opportunity, provided by Danny being on the shelf early on, may have spelled the beginning of the end of his Spurs tenure..

Nobody is really rejoicing here, and I actually fear for Kyle's future if the Spurs are looking to move him. It is never good when SA discard you, let alone when you're their 1st round pick on a rookie contract..

dabom
11-26-2016, 03:00 PM

:lol

spursistan
11-26-2016, 03:14 PM
We've managed to squeeze more out of flawed players with toxic characters like Neal/Blair than Anderson thus far, and that has one explanation in today's NBA:

established niche players >> mediocre to average jack-of-all trades players.

ernest787
11-26-2016, 03:45 PM
The reason Anderson has been played all over the place is b/c he doesn't have any skill that he excels at in the context of the NBA. So they have tried him in all different positions and roles to see if he can find his niche.

SAG acts like they are moving him all over for fun or just to f with the guy. If he had exceptional defense it would be easy to figure out what his role would be. If he was a dead-eye 3 point shooter, he easily slides into a role. The problem with Fathead has always been that he does a lot of things well but nothing shines through. At the college or D-league level this makes him lethal as a tweener, but at the NBA level it means he has no direction and cannot fill any team needs.

Unless Kyle wakes up tomorrow and suddenly has NBA athleticism, is a knock down shooter, or above average defender, then it's time to move on.

kaji157
11-26-2016, 05:19 PM
His game seems more and more FIBA bound.

TD 21
11-26-2016, 06:36 PM
So whatever. Let the troll have his day celebrating how a 23 year old Spur player has been unable to build upon success last season. That great for the Spurs right?

I thought you were done discussing or at least defending him? This short story that I quoted a snippet of (didn't read the rest and only read this because dabom put it in bold) says otherwise.

You say 23 as if it's 19 or 20. He played 2 years in college, is now in his 3rd season pro and is supposedly a high IQ player. As Pop would say, it's basketball. How long is it supposed to take him to look competent?

:lmao At the notion of him having had success to build upon.

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 01:42 AM
We've managed to squeeze more out of flawed players with toxic characters like Neal/Blair than Anderson thus far, and that has one explanation in today's NBA:

established niche players >> mediocre to average jack-of-all trades players.
That is only be you already had Ginobili. Without him, those specialists would flop.

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 01:51 AM
I thought you were done discussing or at least defending him? This short story that I quoted a snippet of (didn't read the rest and only read this because dabom put it in bold) says otherwise.

You say 23 as if it's 19 or 20. He played 2 years in college, is now in his 3rd season pro and is supposedly a high IQ player. As Pop would say, it's basketball. How long is it supposed to take him to look competent?

:lmao At the notion of him having had success to build upon.
Every rookie needs time to adapt and develop anyways, and on top of that he had to change his game but whatever. If you don't think he had a successful second season you are trolling.

cjw
11-27-2016, 01:56 AM
After almost 30 months as part of the Spurs' franchise, he's shown no improvement in shooting (accuracy or ability to get shot off) and just marginal improvement elsewhere despite PATFO's coddling. Adequate spot game action in the NBA, plenty of burn in the D League and the best shooting coach in the league (plus deep staff), and nothing. Not fair to compare him to James Anderson who suffered a substantial injury prior to establishing himself.

We've gotten to the point where his minutes are so empty that they can be the margin between winning or losing and the staff sees no upside in developing his game. No more trips up to Austin to play JV competition.

will_spurs
11-27-2016, 02:05 AM
Zach Lowe talked about KA recently in his "10 things":

8. Slo-Mo, petering out early?The Spurs bench is doing its usual thing, in part because Gregg Popovich is smart about keeping a starter out there with them, but it feels a little rickety this time around. How many of these guys beyond Manu Ginobili and Patty Mills do you trust -- and how many will Popovich trust -- when the games really matter?
A lot of this queasy feeling comes down to Slo-Mo just not happening yet. Kyle Anderson still can't shoot, he never gets to the line, and he's too sluggish off the bounce to scoot by anyone -- and let his passing skills sing. The Spurs need someone off the bench to pop, and they were hoping it would be Anderson. Jonathon Simmons has passed him in the rotation, but Simmons has fallen back to Earth after his out-of-body experience against Golden State in the opener.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18106035/zach-lowe-portland-trail-blazers-damian-lillard-cj-mccollum-nba

ESPN advertised this part as "Pessimism for Slo-Mo", so I guess we're not the only ones who noticed that his game hasn't improved after his first few years in the NBA. He's a proven fringe NBA player at this point, but I'm afraid he doesn't have the "plug & play" set of basic skills to even become a journeyman in the league.

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 07:06 AM
SAG, you're freaking out for no reason, writing his eulogy. Anderson will play a lot of minutes this year (pause for gasps). He's still the 11th man. He will have time to prove himself again. They just guaranteed him $2-plus Million for next year. He'll be in the plans for a while, despite the suggestion that they should dump him for a pick. He just has to get it. He's running out of chances to do so, but he still have some. That doesn't mean he has to shoot every three he looks at. It just means he has to not defer. Until Pop tells him he's shooting too much, forcing things too much, he's being too passive. That's not something that takes a Lifetime movie to figure out. It'll just click if it happens, whether in SA or on a different team.

We are one fifth of the way through the penultimate season of his rookie contract. At this point in Cory's career, he had picked up four DNPs and was averaging 3/1/1 with no defensive stats, 43-percent shooting and no threes made. He was relegated only to garbage time, averaging under six minutes a game. Yet there were some of us on this site who liked him and wanted him to play more, and there were plenty, plenty of posters who wrote him off. Cory's problems were almost identical to Anderson's. He got over it eventually.
You are probably right. My opinion is definitely colored by disappointment with his desire to shoot. So far they have been fine.

Chinook
11-27-2016, 08:15 AM
After almost 30 months as part of the Spurs' franchise, he's shown no improvement in shooting (accuracy or ability to get shot off) and just marginal improvement elsewhere despite PATFO's coddling. Adequate spot game action in the NBA, plenty of burn in the D League and the best shooting coach in the league (plus deep staff), and nothing. Not fair to compare him to James Anderson who suffered a substantial injury prior to establishing himself.

We've gotten to the point where his minutes are so empty that they can be the margin between winning or losing and the staff sees no upside in developing his game. No more trips up to Austin to play JV competition.

The comparison wasn't between Kyle and James; it was between the situation with James/Green and Kyle/Simmons/Bertans. The Spurs were desperately hoping to get a long-term starter at the two with their pick (still their highest natural selection since Tim). James busted, but that was okay since they happened to find a d-leaguer who was able to more than adequately fill the role they envisioned for James.

With Kyle, it's different because they wanted him to be a sixth-man caliber player and a consistent offensive presence. He hasn't done that, and no one else on the bench has either. So while it's easy to move on from the James Anderson pick (and the fact that there wasn't really anyone drafted after him that was any good), the Kyle Anderson experiment failing so far continues to stick with the team. It was never about him versus those guys; it was about what he was supposed to bring against what the team is currently getting out of their bench.

TD 21
11-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Every rookie needs time to adapt and develop anyways, and on top of that he had to change his game but whatever. If you don't think he had a successful second season you are trolling.

You're evading the question. Again: 2+ seasons, in addition to 2 seasons in college and he's supposedly a high IQ player, so how long is it supposed to take to look competent?

I don't think he had a successful second season and I'm not trolling.

dabom
11-27-2016, 05:43 PM
You're evading the question. Again: 2+ seasons, in addition to 2 seasons in college and he's supposedly a high IQ player, so how long is it supposed to take to look competent?

A successful season by "his standards". Not actual comparisons to other NBA players. :lol

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 05:58 PM

It's fine to differ in opinion but I would have been glad to get the Kyle that finished last season playing 20 minutes per game and being a positive contributor back, which he was. I only expected really, improvements in his 3 pt shooting which were not unrealistic expectations based on his shooting in summer league. He has obviously not been that player and that is that. Not going to say much more than that bc I am very tired of chatting about it.

TD 21
11-27-2016, 06:08 PM
It's fine to differ in opinion but I would have been glad to get the Kyle that finished last season playing 20 minutes per game and being a positive contributor back, which he was. I only expected really, improvements in his 3 pt shooting which were not unrealistic expectations based on his shooting in summer league. He has obviously not been that player and that is that. Not going to say much more than that bc I am very tired of chatting about it.

I don't think there's nearly as much of a difference as you do. He's more passive, but a lot of that was probably because the majority of his minutes came with the starters. Otherwise, no matter who he plays with, he's the same awkward fit and provides nothing the team needs from a player in his role.

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 06:22 PM
I don't think there's nearly as much of a difference as you do. He's more passive, but a lot of that was probably because the majority of his minutes came with the starters. Otherwise, no matter who he plays with, he's the same awkward fit and provides nothing the team needs from a player in his role.He has disappointed this season in not making developments I expected and that is significant for his game, so it all starts there. The past is the past, but I didn't think he was as useless as you thought in the past. You'd have to be realistic and realize his age, his pecking order, the leap that it is from college to the nba and the complete overhaul that his game needed and he tried to do in the dleague his rook season. I thought he did as well as I expected. He was solid, not a mistake plagued player and got better with more confidence. A 3 pt shot would have helped inmensely, but it didn't happen and this season he's off to a poor start. I am just to worn out to care about any of this or to articulate much at this point. What matters is the present anyways and he hasn't been playing that well.

TD 21
11-27-2016, 06:50 PM
He has disappointed this season in not making developments I expected and that is significant for his game, so it all starts there. The past is the past, but I didn't think he was as useless as you thought in the past. You'd have to be realistic and realize his age, his pecking order, the leap that it is from college to the nba and the complete overhaul that his game needed and he tried to do in the dleague his rook season. I thought he did as well as I expected. He was solid, not a mistake plagued player and got better with more confidence. A 3 pt shot would have helped inmensely, but it didn't happen and this season he's off to a poor start. I am just to worn out to care about any of this or to articulate much at this point. What matters is the present anyways and he hasn't been playing that well.

I'm a firm believer that most players, even the raw, clearly not ready types, show glimpses immediately of what is possible. I never saw it with him, but I did with almost every other young or unproven player that's made a positive impact with the Spurs in recent years. All I want to see out of most young or unproven players or role players period, is someone who has a niche and he doesn't.

MVPCues
11-27-2016, 06:58 PM
I know the back and forth is fun, but the attention Kyle gets is borderline bizarre. He is a versatile player that is fine as a 10-11th man. If he is ever a starter or one of the first few guys off the bench for an NBA team, that NBA team is going to lose more than they win. He is a good ball player with length and craftiness and decent all around skills. That makes him a star in the D League. Without a near elite skill/talent though, versatile 10-11th man (on a good team) is his NBA ceiling, IMO. Yeah, he might shine in a game or two against scrubs or even in the right situation when matchups are favorable. He will make a few good plays here and there, but his weaknesses are too glaring. He would be feasted upon by good competition in the long run.

SAGirl, you are right about him still being young. He likely will improve. The problem is any improvement will be marginal at best. He has had ample opportunity to prove that wrong. He hasn't.

James Anderson was mentioned in this thread. He had a career high of 36 points and he was out of the league a year later. Showing Kylights of one game to convince people of what he could be provides very limited credence to the argument.

Just my opinion. I don't have the analytical skills some of you all have. This is just what my eyes tell me.

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 08:28 PM
I know the back and forth is fun, but the attention Kyle gets is borderline bizarre. He is a versatile player that is fine as a 10-11th man. If he is ever a starter or one of the first few guys off the bench for an NBA team, that NBA team is going to lose more than they win. He is a good ball player with length and craftiness and decent all around skills. That makes him a star in the D League. Without a near elite skill/talent though, versatile 10-11th man (on a good team) is his NBA ceiling, IMO. Yeah, he might shine in a game or two against scrubs or even in the right situation when matchups are favorable. He will make a few good plays here and there, but his weaknesses are too glaring. He would be feasted upon by good competition in the long run.

SAGirl, you are right about him still being young. He likely will improve. The problem is any improvement will be marginal at best. He has had ample opportunity to prove that wrong. He hasn't.

James Anderson was mentioned in this thread. He had a career high of 36 points and he was out of the league a year later. Showing Kylights of one game to convince people of what he could be provides very limited credence to the argument.

Just my opinion. I don't have the analytical skills some of you all have. This is just what my eyes tell me.
Thanks for sharing. :tu
I am still a fan who thinks he can be an NBA player... to presume he showed nothing last season is just too extremely swung on the negative side, a feature of this board.

Anyways, I am mostly responding to let you know I myself am worn out too. I showed kylights more than anything bc its obvious some guys think he's completely useless and that is not true... but also bc I am tired of chatting about it. I reply to be polite at times and ocassionally something interests me, but that is it. It's been bizarre.

Trainwreck2100
11-27-2016, 08:31 PM
As much as I don't want to defend kyle, he's a late first round pick doing what late first round picks do.

cjw
11-28-2016, 01:15 AM
The comparison wasn't between Kyle and James; it was between the situation with James/Green and Kyle/Simmons/Bertans. The Spurs were desperately hoping to get a long-term starter at the two with their pick (still their highest natural selection since Tim). James busted, but that was okay since they happened to find a d-leaguer who was able to more than adequately fill the role they envisioned for James.

With Kyle, it's different because they wanted him to be a sixth-man caliber player and a consistent offensive presence. He hasn't done that, and no one else on the bench has either. So while it's easy to move on from the James Anderson pick (and the fact that there wasn't really anyone drafted after him that was any good), the Kyle Anderson experiment failing so far continues to stick with the team. It was never about him versus those guys; it was about what he was supposed to bring against what the team is currently getting out of their bench.

Agree. The guys competing for roster spots were uncompelling - a former first rounder in LJC that was so bad that the Spurs ate two years of salary to replace him with a 15th man PG (though maybe Nico makes team before Forbes). If the right move avails itself, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs dump him for a top 57 protected pick just to free up the roster spot. It's just too bad his salary won't fetch much in return.

I hope I'm totally wrong and he surprises all of us, but the clock has to be ticking. The fact that he can't even be what amounts to the emergency PG (behind Parker, Mills and Manu in a bind) and they needed Nico, who will not see postseason minutes, speaks volumes to me. Though we know Pop likes those Jacque Vaughn and Chris Quinn end of bench guys.

I don't make much of the Spurs exercising his fourth year option just a month ago given the low dollar value he carries. Free option and shouldn't have trouble moving him if they had to.

objective
11-28-2016, 10:44 PM
No team would ever double team Kyle Anderson.

No team in the NBA is bad enough for Anderson to be the lead initiator for a bench either.

Kyle will be in Europe or in China in 2-3 years.

100% on the doubling.

I don't remember Anderson being doubled ever. He's always allowed to get his shot his way. A slow, hunchbacked dribble into a fadeaway. Every once in a while a defender falls asleep and his man cuts and Anderson can pass to them.

spurspokesman
11-29-2016, 12:34 AM
Had hopes for this kid when they drafted him TBH.