PDA

View Full Version : I dare Pop to challenge or say the the same thing to/on Softridge.

spursistan
11-25-2016, 07:12 PM

meanwhile, 6'11 Softridge (4) got out-rebounded by four other Spurs (KL/Lee/Green/Gasol)/ in addition to another softie, Horford (10), and Celtics' SG Bradley (8) :rolleyes..

His underwhelming start to the season-- for a year 2 -- continues to go under the radar with the team racking up the Ws ..

Laughing Gravy
11-25-2016, 07:26 PM
Definately not the player he was in Portland.

sasaint
11-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Definately not the player he was in Portland.

Some of us on ST and plenty of Portland fans think he is exactly the same player.

apalisoc_9
11-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Yeah he's very limited for a star player. To be fair, the effort is there for at least during the winning streak.

I think the spurs are banking on their ability to motivate Aldridge in the playoffs. If Aldridge is motivated he does become the 5th best defender in the team..thats nlt saying much though.

spursistan
11-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Some of us on ST and plenty of Portland fans think he is exactly the same player.
What if decline is kicking in for him? If he is playing like this in January, I would move his ass and cash in rather than face the predictability of a 2nd round exit to GSW/LAC. But that's just me..

sasaint
11-25-2016, 07:48 PM
What if decline is kicking in for him? If he is playing like this in January, I would move his ass and cash in rather than face the predictability of a 2nd round exit to GSW/LAC. But that's just me..

Decline or status quo, my fondest hope is that the Spurs move LMA this season.

SpurPadre
11-25-2016, 07:54 PM
He did grab a huge rebound to help ice the game, tbh.

UZER
11-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Been waiting for Pop to rip into Aldridge. It's like there is thick tension in the air. Needs to just happen already so aldridge can sulk and then get over it.

YGWHI
11-25-2016, 08:01 PM
'If you don't want to do both'...Really, Pop?

You have Parker, Mills, Aldridge and Gasol who can't defend a shit but you talk about Kawhi. It makes sense.

spursistan
11-25-2016, 08:06 PM
Been waiting for Pop to rip into Aldridge. It's like there is thick tension in the air. Needs to just happen already so aldridge can sulk and then get over it.
Yep, he's been treating him with kid gloves.. I have even seen Pop laying into Kawhi after he takes his TOs, but never with LMA the past year or so..

dabom
11-25-2016, 09:54 PM

meanwhile, 6'11 Softridge (4) got out-rebounded by four other Spurs (KL/Lee/Lee/Gasol)/ in addition to another softie, Horford (10), and Celtics' SG Bradley (8) :rolleyes..

His underwhelming start to the season-- for a year 2 -- continues to go under the radar with the team racking up the Ws ..

Wait was Pop talking about Kawhi there? :lmao

Pop has fucking lost it. :lmao

Does Pop know that Kawhi is a top 3 impact player in the league. Fuck off you weak and playoff piece of shit coach. Pop isn't even coaching his team anymore and expects kawhi to some how be a better version of jordan. :lmao

Ice009
11-26-2016, 12:31 AM
Is that quote in reference to Kawhi?

What the fuck is going on here? Kawhi's going to demand a trade with that bullshit.

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 12:54 AM
Meh. Pop doing the shit he did to Timmy because he knows that they are the types of leaders than can handle this kind of criticism. He knows that Aldridge is a diva and does not want to make the man cry.

J_Paco
11-26-2016, 01:37 AM
If the greatest player in franchise history isn't above being ripped into and asked to do more than every single player (2000 - 2004), then Kawhi Leonard (the undisputed best player & top 4 talent) isn't either. This team has a lot of flaws and deficiencies, but Leonard playing at his very best can cover up many of them.

Keep demanding his best Pop and Kawhi just needs to keep being a beast. Thankfully, he ain't a bitch like many of his fanboys.

DeRozan m8
11-26-2016, 01:52 AM
Pops fucked

Its not about being above being ripped into....its about whether its necessary....which in this case it isn't.

Another questionable Pop move

houston spurs fan
11-26-2016, 01:52 AM

Does Pop know that Kawhi is a top 3 impact player in the league. Fuck off you weak and playoff piece of shit coach. Pop isn't even coaching his team anymore and expects kawhi to some how be a better version of jordan. :lmao
Hmmm... you must be new here. This is how he treated Timmy....Bandwagons and "new" fans don't understand

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 01:57 AM
Pops fucked

Its not about being above being ripped into....its about whether its necessary....which in this case it isn't.

Another questionable Pop move

It wasn't necessary with TD before. But he did it.

I'm not defending the move, I'm just finding the justification behind it. Pop knows LMA's a bitch so I don't think he'll do that. Hell, he rips into Danny every day because he knows Danny can take it.

Ice009
11-26-2016, 01:59 AM
Hmmm... you must be new here. This is how he treated Timmy....Bandwagons and "new" fans don't understand

Tim didn't have any other players on the team with with a similar contract to him. LA's contract is for close to the same amount of money as Kawhi's. Why isn't he being asked (DEMANDED) to do the same?

There's a big difference here. The Spurs are paying another player the same amount of money and he is doing a lot less than Kawhi, so why call out Kawhi and not him? At the very least, call them both out if you don't want to ruffle Aldridge's feathers, but if that is enough ruffle his feathers, then he's a pussy that doesn't need to be on the team.

J_Paco
11-26-2016, 02:02 AM

I'm not defending the move, I'm just finding the justification behind it. Pop knows LMA's a bitch so I don't think he'll do that. Hell, he rips into Danny every day because he knows Danny can take it.

Exactly, Pop rips into the players that he knows can take it (Kawhi, Timmy, Tony, Danny & Manu) and "coddles" the players (Aldridge, Finley, Horry & Stephen Jackson) he knows can't. Seems to me to be a clear difference in ability between the two groups.

houston spurs fan
11-26-2016, 02:27 AM
Tim didn't have any other players on the team with with a similar contract to him. LA's contract is for close to the same amount of money as Kawhi's. Why isn't he being asked (DEMANDED) to do the same?

There's a big difference here. The Spurs are paying another player the same amount of money and he is doing a lot less than Kawhi, so why call out Kawhi and not him? At the very least, call them both out if you don't want to ruffle Aldridge's feathers, but if that is enough ruffle his feathers, then he's a pussy that doesn't need to be on the team.
Welcome to 2016. Chandler Parsons has a maxed deal and Manu making $14 mil. Another new fan....

DeRozan m8
11-26-2016, 02:57 AM

Yeah fair point

Ice009
11-26-2016, 03:07 AM
Welcome to 2016. Chandler Parsons has a maxed deal and Manu making $14 mil. Another new fan....

So then Pop should be grateful to Kawhi as he is on a contract that basically underpays him compared to other players that are inferior. He should not be talking shit about him. Saying that he should only get paid 4 million dollars. When in the fuck did he say that to Tim Duncan? I don't ever recall anything like that before. What a fucking joke. Even as a one way player, Kawhi will get a lot more than 4 million dollars. If he said that to Tim Duncan, I don't think Tim would have reacted too well at all.

Sorry, I DO NOT agree at all with him calling out Kawhi and letting it slide with LA. No way. Not a chance.

MultiTroll
11-26-2016, 03:19 AM
CIA Poop quote....Really the common denominator is.....
What is the context of this? Who was asking Poop what?

MultiTroll
11-26-2016, 03:20 AM
"Pop treats everyone the same."

Chinook
11-26-2016, 04:13 AM
The fuck is wrong with people? Pop didn't do anything but express extreme confidence in Kawhi with that quote. Essentially, this is what it looks like was said:

Reporter -- "Pop, what do you think about Kawhi carrying your team on both ends?"

Pop -- "He's the franchise. We expect our franchise to carry the team. The last two franchise players did it, so why wouldn't Kawhi? If we wanted a role-player, we'd be paying for a role-player."

dabom
11-26-2016, 04:18 AM
The fuck is wrong with people? Pop didn't do anything but express extreme confidence in Kawhi with that quote. Essentially, this is what it looks like was said:

Reporter -- "Pop, what do you think about Kawhi carrying your team on both ends?"

Pop -- "He's the franchise. We expect our franchise to carry the team. The last two franchise players did it, so why wouldn't Kawhi? If we wanted a role-player, we'd be paying for a role-player."

Can you post the actual question and quote?

Play Boban
11-26-2016, 04:20 AM
Pop is too much a c0ward to cut LA loose. Poop is scared LA would come after him. Poop is a liberal white man who lives in fear of real brothers.

Spurtacular
11-26-2016, 04:36 AM
If Aldridge is motivated he does become the 5th best defender in the team..thats nlt saying much though.

Is this supposed to be insight, seriously?

Mnky
11-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Kawhi loves Pop. He's the reason kawhi didn't even meet other teams.
You coach to the players. Each is different, and great coaches understand this.

@ the people who think he's out of line, You use your star as an example.

Kawhi feeds off Pop. Kawhi was thanking Pop like a father in the finals win for pushing him. One of the most drastic player improvements ever in kawhis career leads me to believe some f you might not know what you're talking about.. :lol

Ice009
11-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Kawhi loves Pop. He's the reason kawhi didn't even meet other teams.
You coach to the players. Each is different, and great coaches understand this.

@ the people who think he's out of line, You use your star as an example.

Kawhi feeds off Pop. Kawhi was thanking Pop like a father in the finals win for pushing him. One of the most drastic player improvements ever in kawhis career leads me to believe some f you might not know what you're talking about.. :lol

Where's the question that led to that quote? I want to see the context of it. It just sounded like he was taking a shot at him while at the same time letting LA's horrible play slide.

Solid D
11-26-2016, 10:07 AM
meanwhile, 6'11 Softridge (4) got out-rebounded by four other Spurs (KL/Lee/Lee/Gasol)/ in addition to another softie, Horford (10), and Celtics' SG Bradley (8) :rolleyes..

While Aldridge is not off to a great start, one can hardly say in all truth that he is playing "under the radar." Even in a below par game like yesterday vs. the Celts, he was a key player in the last 6 1/2minutes during winning time. A key jumper when the score was 96-94, a nice block of Thomas, the assist to Patty on the huge corner three, the game sealing offensive rebound on Manu's desperation 3-pointer, & the icing FTs that followed with 18 seconds left. He was clearly part of their success.

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Where's the question that led to that quote? I want to see the context of it. It just sounded like he was taking a shot at him while at the same time letting LA's horrible play slide.

If Chinook 's post is correct then the more I can see that this is a non-issue.

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 10:11 AM
While Aldridge is not off to a great start, one can hardly say in all truth that he is playing "under the radar." Even in a below par game like yesterday vs. the Celts, he was a key player in the last 6 1/2minutes during winning time. A key jumper when the score was 96-94, a nice block of Thomas, the assist to Patty on the huge corner three, the game sealing offensive rebound on Manu's desperation 3-pointer, & the icing FTs that followed with 18 seconds left. He was clearly part of their success.

The problem is his salary isn't up to par with his production so far this season and like last season when he started out. Hopefully, he'll live up to his potential later on like what he did last year as well.

Solid D
11-26-2016, 10:13 AM
The problem is his salary isn't up to par with his production so far this season and like last season when he started out. Hopefully, he'll live up to his potential later on like what he did last year as well.

True.

GSH
11-26-2016, 10:14 AM

Pau looked like he didn't even want to be on the floor in that game, and he just kept barking at the refs because the big mean Celtics hurt his feelings. He wound up with 17 minutes total. When you're 6'11", and supposed to be a star in the league, and you get out-rebounded by THAT? Yeah, you're officially soft. SMDH.

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 10:15 AM
True.

Kawhi playing like the superstar that he is early on is really making up for LMA's and Pau's inconsistencies, must be why people are so mad at this quote.

Solid D
11-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Pau looked like he didn't even want to be on the floor in that game, and he just kept barking at the refs because the big mean Celtics hurt his feelings. He wound up with 17 minutes total. When you're 6'11", and supposed to be a star in the league, and you get out-rebounded by THAT? Yeah, you're officially soft. SMDH.

Yeah, Pau was Charmin soft against the Celtics. He was part of the reason for the sleepy start. Come on, Pau. At least play like you've been in the Eastern Conference before.

TheDoctor
11-26-2016, 10:46 AM

Dude, that's the same kinda extreme performance he demanded from Tim fucking Duncan. By doing that to the Alpha, Pop's sending a message to all the other scrubs on the team.

Ice009
11-26-2016, 10:58 AM

What I see with Aldridge is weak rebounding, average defense, average screens and also what at times seems like a flat out lack of effort, sort of like he's not into it. I don't care so much about his offense, it's those other areas I'm looking for a big improvement in and then turning that improvement into a consistent effort. I just want to see some fire and consistent effort from him. He's getting paid too much money to loaf around and score some points while not doing much else.

Kawhi playing like the superstar that he is early on is really making up for LMA's and Pau's inconsistencies, must be why people are so mad at this quote.

That's where I'm coming from. Sure, I'm not happy with Kawhi's defense this season myself, but without his overall great play we'd be much worse off. I attribute it to him having to carry a much larger load on offense, as he's carried us to wins in games that we would have lost with the poor play of some of the other top players on the team. I just don't think that quote by Pop is appropriate.

ulosturedge
11-26-2016, 11:03 AM
I think you guys read too much into stuff. He was tearing it up at the end of the season last year. Yeah he sucks at setting screens and can play soft at times, but for better or for worse he's the same player he was in Portland.

I think right now he is deferring for the team and he is trying to just take smart shots. I think he is getting along fine with his teammates, and I think his relationship is manageable with Pop. Sure we would like to see him impose his will more. I think that will happen later in the season.

My main problem is how he plays in the playoffs. Hopefully he shows up and makes a difference. I think the FO pretty much knows what the are getting out of LMA, and are just trying to fit all the pieces around him and Kawhi to make it work.

100%duncan
11-26-2016, 11:12 AM
What I see with Aldridge is weak rebounding, average defense, average screens and also what at times seems like a flat out lack of effort, sort of like he's not into it. I don't care so much about his offense, it's those other areas I'm looking for a big improvement in and then turning that improvement into a consistent effort. I just want to see some fire and consistent effort from him. He's getting paid too much money to loaf around and score some points while not doing much else.

That's where I'm coming from. Sure, I'm not happy with Kawhi's defense this season myself, but without his overall great play we'd be much worse off. I attribute it to him having to carry a much larger load on offense, as he's carried us to wins in games that we would have lost with the poor play of some of the other top players on the team. I just don't think that quote by Pop is appropriate.

Well looking at the full context, it's even more of a non-issue.

offset formation
11-26-2016, 11:31 AM

Lots of reading miscomprehension present on this board. And piss poor basketball knowledge. Thanks for being rational.

Aldridge is simply not going to be getting as many rebounds as the 4 playing out on the floor. He constantly switches off on PGs too so in essence, he's rarely in the defensive post, especially in today's game where the 4 is a stretch 4.

spursistan
11-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Tony is more accomplished than LMA and has a big ego himself and yet Pop rips into him with total disregard to his feelings...who the fuck Aldridge is? the honeymoon should 've been over by now :lol

Slippy
11-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Lots of reading miscomprehension present on this board. And piss poor basketball knowledge. Thanks for being rational.

Aldridge is simply not going to be getting as many rebounds as the 4 playing out on the floor. He constantly switches off on PGs too so in essence, he's rarely in the defensive post, especially in today's game where the 4 is a stretch 4.

Good point. His defense on the switch has been fantastic of late. To start the season, he was looking flat & the effort was lacking.

The guy cleaning up on the rebound when team defense kicks in is usually Kawai.

Mnky
11-26-2016, 10:13 PM

It's remarkable what some people choose to ignore, or simply don't comprehend when it comes to a team sport. Lma has played well.

will_spurs
11-27-2016, 01:51 AM
Did anyone notice that the list of players Pop rips into is essentially the list of players he has drafted and molded over the years? Or guys who were basically out of the league when he picked them up? And that he doesn't behave the same with players acquired through trade?

I'd say that makes a big difference.

cjw
11-27-2016, 02:00 AM

Friggen Ian Mahinmi is making $16mm per year. If no cap Kawhi would be making substantially more than he is.

sananspursfan21
11-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Wait a minute. Why has nobody addressed this question yet?

Is the OP talking about a normal dare or a double dog dare?

alpha_HaZE
11-29-2016, 12:11 AM

In some ways he is a better version of Jordan. I grew up watching the Bulls setting the win record, and I enjoyed all of their 6 championships! But as the sport of b-ball evolves, so do it's athletes! Kawhi will most likely not dominate this league the way Jordan did, but Pop expects him to be the best player on the floor on most nights. I don't see anything wrong with that.

YGWHI
11-29-2016, 12:28 AM

To be fair, this is the full quote. Jeff McDonald just took a little part for whatever reason but coming from him I guess why...

"He's done it for us the entire time he's been there," Popovich said. "At the offensive end, I think our players get less minutes than other players at those positions if I'm not mistaken. I don't think he's ever going to be worn out. I'm not going to play him like Latrell Sprewell. The bottom line is that he's getting paid to do both. So get your ass out there and do both, if you want to know the truth. If you don't want to do both then we'll pay you $4 million."

So Pop already said that Kawhi is doing it on both ends.

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1167128-popovich-lauds-leonard-s-leadership-he-s-never-going-to-be-a-towel-waver

Also, Pop and his teammates were praising Kawhi's leadership
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/11/27/13756360/kawhi-leonard-spurs-leader-gregg-popovich-sunday-shootaround

dabom
11-29-2016, 12:35 AM
To be fair, this is the full quote. Jeff McDonald just took a little part for whatever reason but coming from him I guess why...

"He's done it for us the entire time he's been there," Popovich said. "At the offensive end, I think our players get less minutes than other players at those positions if I'm not mistaken. I don't think he's ever going to be worn out. I'm not going to play him like Latrell Sprewell. The bottom line is that he's getting paid to do both. So get your ass out there and do both, if you want to know the truth. If you don't want to do both then we'll pay you $4 million."

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1167128-popovich-lauds-leonard-s-leadership-he-s-never-going-to-be-a-towel-waver

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/11/27/13756360/kawhi-leonard-spurs-leader-gregg-popovich-sunday-shootaround

Thought the same thing when I saw the full quote. He was bragging about Kawhi tbh. How any media members felt the opposite is astonishing. :lol

100%duncan
11-29-2016, 12:39 AM

Yes. I wasn't really against the quote unlike some here who massively overreacted

YGWHI
11-29-2016, 12:53 AM
He was bragging about Kawhi tbh. How any media members felt the opposite is astonishing. :lol
That's the issue with McDonald as SAEN beat writer. Even with his weird LMA rumors I rather read Jabari Young over McDonald.

Yes. I wasn't really against the quote unlike some here who massively overreacted
Well, that was mislanding just because McDonald wanted it to be in that way.

Pop started it with "Kawhi's done it for us the entire time he's been there" but he omitted that big part.

He was praising Kawhi for doing it but if you read McDonald tweet seemed the opposite.

skulls138
11-29-2016, 01:48 AM
Hes getting paid no matter what he does so better be nice to him.

Im hoping theres some humor in there thats hard to detect in written form because thats rough, even with the whole quote.

Either that or KL is more of a pain than we know.

YGWHI
11-29-2016, 02:46 AM
Hes getting paid no matter what he does so better be nice to him.
To be honest, he's underpaid this season. Batum signed a 120 M contract, Kawhi's 94. And I'd pick Kawhi over Nic 24/7

Either that or KL is more of a pain than we know.
If he was that type of player, no one would praise his leadership now. There is no need to do it when a player 'is a pain'