PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Only 5th Team in NBA History to Begin Season 10-0 on the Road...

BatManu20
11-26-2016, 10:23 PM
...Each of the previous four to do so reached the NBA Finals, and the only one of those teams to not win the NBA title was the Warriors last season, who hold the NBA record for most road wins to start a season at 14. (Source: Elias Sports Bureau)

ESPN Stats and Information

:lobt2:

skin27
11-26-2016, 10:52 PM
...Each of the previous four to do so reached the NBA Finals, and the only one of those teams to not win the NBA title was the Warriors last season, who hold the NBA record for most road wins to start a season at 14. (Source: Elias Sports Bureau
ESPN Stats and Information

:lobt2:We have a legit chance to break that record with only potential lose to Chicago..our next 5 road games are mavs, bucks, wolves, bulls and suns!!!

GSH
11-26-2016, 11:33 PM
I bet those other teams didn't start 1-3 at home, or struggle so hard to beat the worst team in the league.

I appreciate fun stats as much as the next guy, but I'm still pretty sure that this years' road record doesn't indicate that they are super-likely to get to the Finals, much less win it all.

YGWHI
11-27-2016, 12:29 AM
We have a legit chance to break that record with only potential lose to Chicago..our next 5 road games are mavs, bucks, wolves, bulls and suns!!!

:flag:

Supreme_Being
11-27-2016, 01:24 AM
I wonder whats the next arbitrary stat the media will feed us next

11-27-2016, 05:02 AM
Of the five times to start 9-0 on the road, only 2 were in the modern era. Of those two teams, the 94 rockets won and 16 warriors lost.

hardly a huge sample size

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 07:12 AM
Still an interesting factoid. Thanks for sharing Batmanu...

BatManu20
11-27-2016, 06:03 PM
Still an interesting factoid. Thanks for sharing Batmanu...

:toast

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 06:07 PM
10-0 on the road should put the seed of doubt into anyone that maybe this team is contender after all.

GSH
11-27-2016, 06:33 PM
10-0 on the road should put the seed of doubt into anyone that maybe this team is contender after all.

The 2011 Spurs started out 25-3, and 8-0 on the road. They won 61 games that season, and 90% of the people here kept insisting that the record proved that they were a great team. I'm pretty sure that was the year that the phrase "fool's gold" got popular here.

This team is too weak at the 1 and the 5 to be a legit title contender.

dabom
11-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Guys bitch when we lose, and bitch that we fools gold when we win. :lmao

UZER
11-27-2016, 06:49 PM
I wonder whats the next arbitrary stat the media will feed us next

KEVIN LOVE SETS NBA RECORD FOR POINTS IN A QTR WITH 34!! *

*points in a 1st qtr

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 06:52 PM
The 2011 Spurs started out 25-3, and 8-0 on the road. They won 61 games that season, and 90% of the people here kept insisting that the record proved that they were a great team. I'm pretty sure that was the year that the phrase "fool's gold" got popular here.

This team is too weak at the 1 and the 5 to be a legit title contender.

I might agree if the Warriors weren't weaker and the Clips bench wasn't still suspect.

coachmac87
11-27-2016, 09:09 PM
I bet those other teams didn't start 1-3 at home, or struggle so hard to beat the worst team in the league.

I appreciate fun stats as much as the next guy, but I'm still pretty sure that this years' road record doesn't indicate that they are super-likely to get to the Finals, much less win it all.

Says the guy who indicates if we're championship quality in November

coachmac87
11-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Guys bitch when we lose, and bitch that we fools gold when we win. :lmao

#truth

GSH
11-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Says the guy who indicates if we're championship quality in November

No, Shortbus, I said that in the preseason. I just repeated myself because I know you're a little slow to pick up on things.

The "1" is the point guard position. The "5" is the center position. The Spurs are too weak both places to be a serious title contender.

dabom
11-27-2016, 09:37 PM
No, Shortbus, I said that in the preseason. I just repeated myself because I know you're a little slow to pick up on things.

The "1" is the point guard position. The "5" is the center position. The Spurs are too weak both places to be a serious title contender.

Except we are, fuckface. We are a top 3 team in the league little bitch. :lol

Anything goes. And we whupped the Warriors in the season opener. :lmao

100%duncan
11-27-2016, 09:45 PM

I don't know if we're "weak" since the bench's counterpart is solid on that front. But we have to many if's 1. Whether Tony is consistent 2. Pau's on/off offense 3. Consistency of bench. We are definitely talented and inconsistent but we are not weak.

GSH
11-27-2016, 10:03 PM
I don't know if we're "weak" since the bench's counterpart is solid on that front. But we have to many if's 1. Whether Tony is consistent 2. Pau's on/off offense 3. Consistency of bench. We are definitely talented and inconsistent but we are not weak.

Pau is the oldest player on the team. I've said it a few times, but I really think a lot of people don't realize that he's a year older than Manu. He's also not a big, physical center that thrives on battling in the paint. That's okay in the regular season, but in the post-season, when the refs tuck their whistles away and "let them play", it becomes a much bigger disadvantage.

Dedmon was looking pretty solid as a backup C, before he... disappeared? We don't really know how good he is yet, especially against top-tier bigs. Aldridge can't/won't slide to the C. I like Lee, and I love his effort. But he's just too damned short to play as a legit center against the players he's likely to face in the playoffs. But the biggest concern, for me, is still Gasol as the starting center in the playoffs.

I'm not even going to get into the issues with Parker. You can find that in about half the threads on ST. Patty is a mixed bag, but there really is not third option at PG, unless Lap starts looking a lot better. But even if he does, it's still just like the center position. It's the starter, going against playoff-caliber starters, that is the weak link.

I just think that having a sub-standard PG AND C is too much for the bench to overcome, in the playoffs. I've been wrong before, and I guess we'll see. But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

coachmac87
11-27-2016, 10:10 PM

Dont change the topic bruh...you stated starting 1-3 at home and almost losing to the worst team in the league...I didn't quote you saying anything about the 1or 5 position...

You're the "shortbus" wait is that one word or two words??

Ice009
11-27-2016, 10:15 PM
I thought Pau was at least a year younger than Manu? Are you sure about that? I thought Pau is 36 or 37, which is younger than Manu.

alpha_HaZE
11-27-2016, 10:44 PM

Yes, this pretty much sums it up for me.

I also bet those other teams didn't lose a game by 20 or more points in that span.

Chinook
11-27-2016, 10:45 PM
I thought Pau was at least a year younger than Manu? Are you sure about that? I thought Pau is 36 or 37, which is younger than Manu.

Yeah, Gasol is three years younger than Manu. Still old, but definitely not Manu's age.

Chinook
11-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Yes, this pretty much sums it up for me.

I also bet those other teams didn't lose a game by 20 or more points in that span.

It's amazing what having guys hurt can mean for a team. In 2014, the Spurs lost three-straight games, including being blown out by 23 against LAC when Kawhi, Green and Manu were hurt. They get those guys back, and the team lost only three more games until they had already clinched HCA throughout the playoffs.

Blowouts happen all the time. They aren't the sign of a bad team. That's especially true for the Spurs, who have a coach who pulls the plus more quickly than anyone else. In the 2013 Finals, the Heat and Spurs didn't play a close game until Game Six. They just alternated blowouts.

alpha_HaZE
11-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Pau is the oldest player on the team. I've said it a few times, but I really think a lot of people don't realize that he's a year older than Manu. He's also not a big, physical center that thrives on battling in the paint. That's okay in the regular season, but in the post-season, when the refs tuck their whistles away and "let them play", it becomes a much bigger disadvantage.

Dedmon was looking pretty solid as a backup C, before he... disappeared? We don't really know how good he is yet, especially against top-tier bigs. Aldridge can't/won't slide to the C. I like Lee, and I love his effort. But he's just too damned short to play as a legit center against the players he's likely to face in the playoffs. But the biggest concern, for me, is still Gasol as the starting center in the playoffs.

I'm not even going to get into the issues with Parker. You can find that in about half the threads on ST. Patty is a mixed bag, but there really is not third option at PG, unless Lap starts looking a lot better. But even if he does, it's still just like the center position. It's the starter, going against playoff-caliber starters, that is the weak link.

I just think that having a sub-standard PG AND C is too much for the bench to overcome, in the playoffs. I've been wrong before, and I guess we'll see. But that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Others have commented about Pau's age, he is 36 and younger than Manu and that's pretty much it.

Regarding Parker, if you haven't noticed 1) our team plays a lot better with him than without him and 2) Pop sat him on the bench late 4th Q, which allowed Kawhi to be a point-wing, which worked by the way.

We shouldn't be quick to judge what's going to happen in the playoffs. There is a lot of B-bal to be played. The good news are that Simms is just had his best game since game one and Bertans posted back to back career highs in points scored. Those two could end up being monsters in the playoffs.

alpha_HaZE
11-27-2016, 11:30 PM
It's amazing what having guys hurt can mean for a team. In 2014, the Spurs lost three-straight games, including being blown out by 23 against LAC when Kawhi, Green and Manu were hurt. They get those guys back, and the team lost only three more games until they had already clinched HCA throughout the playoffs.

Blowouts happen all the time. They aren't the sign of a bad team. That's especially true for the Spurs, who have a coach who pulls the plus more quickly than anyone else. In the 2013 Finals, the Heat and Spurs didn't play a close game until Game Six. They just alternated blowouts.

Yes, I agree. I didn't realize I came off as "it's a poor STAT because the Spurs are a bad team". I just think that's a poor STAT because it takes into account only road wins and not the overall record.

2013 Finals were such an emotional roller-coaster for me (and most NBA fans I imagine). The series against CP3 and D West in 2007 was also full of blowouts.

spurs10
11-27-2016, 11:59 PM
Pau is the oldest player on the team. I've said it a few times, but I really think a lot of people don't realize that he's a year older than Manu. I've been wrong before. Pau is several years younger than Manu

cjw
11-28-2016, 12:04 AM
Pau is the oldest player on the team. I've said it a few times, but I really think a lot of people don't realize that he's a year older than Manu.

Didn't realize Pau is a 5-tool prospect from the Dominican Republic or Thon Maker's older brother

baseline bum
11-28-2016, 12:32 AM
Remember when until last year every team that went 40-1 at home won the title?

GSH
11-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Yeah, Gasol is three years younger than Manu. Still old, but definitely not Manu's age.

Echh... that's right. He's been in the NBA a year longer than Manu. More importantly, he's played over 50% more NBA minutes than Manu. (37,000 vs 24,000 total minutes). That's the equivalent of 6 extra seasons for a starter. He came into the league the same year as Parker, but he's put in more minutes than Tony, even when playoff minutes are included.

The point still stands - he's not a center that you want to try and ride to a championship, at this point in his career. (People should appreciate how unusual Timmy was, to play so well, so long.) And he's not the style of center that you really prefer for the playoffs.

As for the rest of you who hurried over to your favorite stat site to check - this is how you deal with it when you make a mistake. You don't make up some stupid-assed excuse. You say, "I made a mistake", and move on.

NameLess Scrub
11-28-2016, 09:27 AM

He looks big enough to me, the physical part seems to be more of a problem :lol

How did Timmy do it? Timmy played his last years slowed down and injured. He lost his ability to score at a high level, couldn't even rely on the bank shot anymore, but could still execute defensively in the paint..

Bring Timmy as a personal coach to Pau :lol