PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades: San Antonio Spurs @ Washington Wizards 11/26/2016

Spurtacular
11-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Game Recap

The Spurs played one of their better defensive halves of the season in the first half, allowing 44 points. And although, they gave up 56 in the second half, that seemed to be more the result of playing at a comfortable pace as they handily finished off a victorious game that never seemed to be in doubt.

Grades

Kawhi Leonard - C-

For the first quarter and and a half we largely saw a 2011 Kawhi; and not the 2011 Kawhi that made his corner threes and did the intangibles; rather, we saw a timid Kawhi that was not assertive and vanished offensively. Some of this is because he just didn't seem to have his shot tonight. This happens to everyone. But eventually he played like the veteran leader he has became and sought to make plays against inferior plays, and his game steadied. And in the second half, he was a steadying force as the Spurs kept the Wizards out of reach. If he was another player, I might go as high as a B; however, more is expected of him, and I'm grading him on a reverse curve. And I'm taking him from a C to C+ to the C- based on his one rebound performance. Has he ever had that poor of a rebounding game?

Danny Green - C+

Like Kawhi, he was just lost on offense in the first half. But like his wing counterpart, he did play solid defense to justify his time on the court. Though, I'd have to rewatch the game to figure out how much of the Wall/Beal 46 pt on 19-39 FG is on them. But when I was watching them, they seemed to make the right plays. Though, DG came out lazy on the first defensive possession, he seemed to tighten the screws after that. He was reliable from the outside, and that's why he's in there as Pop says. Despite not finding many flaws in DG's game, I can't go into the B range on a night when the SG couldn't muster 5 shots though.

Paul Gasol - C-

His defense produced mixed results. I don't recall him ever being in a defensive crouch all night long though. Offensively, he made some shots; but he looked flustered and unassertive at times. The bright spot was his rebounding; he finished with 10 boards.

LeMarcus Aldridge - C+

I know that the box score looks pretty good for him at 27/7 on 9-17 FG; but his lack of tenacity at taking the ball against a soft defense was telling. Whenever he made strong moves to the basket, he had the defense on its heels. Yet, he only did that 6 or 7 times in the entire game.

Tony Parker - A-

"Patented Parker" as the announcers said. He was doing spins and getting to his spot for made shots, and he did well defensively even. And when he got a little hot, he didn't press his luck at the cost of the team like in the past. Though, he didn't do much in terms of setting up others. Nonetheless, he created a good pace on offense.

Patty Mills - B+

He was crisp and got to his spots and shot efficiently. His 5 points right off the bench in the 1st set a good tone and seemed to deal a blow to the Wizards, who never seemed to believe they could win this game.

David Lee - C+

Seven boards in twenty minutes is nice; but he never seemed to make a mark on this game.

Jonathan Simmons - B

He gets a B based on results; but on any other night this type of execution could've led to a D. His lack of mid range game is telling. it's always a shot off a screen from a foot inside the three or attacking the basket. This makes him easy to defend. And defensively, he just does not anticipate what a team is going to do. On an up-note, he did well on the drive and kicks.

Davis Bertans - D

Defensively, he was soft. Offensively, he clumsily ran through motions and even confused teammates on plays that led to turnovers. I'm going to be lenient in that perhaps his presence helped to spread the floor, and he still ended up with a plus four.

Kyle Anderson - C-

You'd think a guy averaging under 2 a game and wanting minutes would do the little things like make his free throws. Though he didn't do any horrendous plays that I saw, he did not seem to be a game changer whatsoever either.

Bryn Forbes / Nicolas Laprovitolla / Dejounte Murray - C-

They came on in garbage time and did nothing to speak of. But I can't go lower than this grade for a minute of relatively meaningless play short of something horrendous occurring.

Pop - B

I'm going to assume he got in this team's ear and told them that their recent losses to this team were simply due to a lack of effort. He didn't have any crazy rotations tonight. He didn't have too much to stress about either. However, he did not rally the troops to close this game out sooner; so, he was in cruise control as well.

Mr. Body
11-26-2016, 10:48 PM
With those scores you'd think they lost the game.

$pursDynasty
11-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Great write up Spurt, I might have given the :lma at least a B but you seem to be wanting/expecting more from him, not just hating. He was the high scorer in a win, that usually merits at least a B-. We got great contributions from the PG position tonight.

bklynspursfan
11-26-2016, 10:49 PM

Ha was thinking the same. Tough grader.

Appreciate the writeups though :tu

Chinook
11-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the work, Spurtacular. Glad to see soccer didn't call you away this time. Not loving your grades, though. I think outside of Tony, you graded everyone pretty harshly given that they blew out Washington. Guess you have high standards for them, though. Wall and Beal going off had a ton to do with those guys playing so many minutes. Simmons wasn't good defensively this game at all, though his plus-minus wouldn't suggest that. I did think Parker was fantastic in this game. And I loved the defense inside the paint. The amount of balls the Spurs managed to get their hands on was amazing to me.

Vokun
11-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Tough grader tbh

GSH
11-26-2016, 10:56 PM
Lee only put up 4 shots tonight, in 20 minutes, but he made half of them. And I thought he did everything else pretty damned good. I'm not going to write a book on it, but that grade puzzles me.

Simmons? For who he is, and what he is expected to be at this point, about the only negative I saw from him tonight was the fouls. He made 5 of his 6 shots, one of them being a 3, and he got 4 FTA's and made all of them. Best of all, he had more AST's than Parker, and just as many as Patty. His 2 steals and 1 block are sort of cherries on the cake. B is a reasonable grade, or at least close enough. But I can't figure why this kind of performance would earn a D on other nights. Sounds like you don't like who he is, but this is who he is. He's obviously worked on using his penetration to get other guys good shots, and it's paying off.

Juggity
11-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Come on 27/7 is good enough for at least a B :lol

HarlemHeat37
11-26-2016, 10:59 PM
:lmao please, whoever is in charge of allocating the grade threads, don't let this happen again, tbh..

myhc
11-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Wow. I'm glad you were never one of my teachers in school. :lol

Silver&Black
11-26-2016, 11:09 PM

Reminds me of my Soil Mechanics teacher in College. Toughest grader in history.

elemento
11-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the grades man

Pretty harsh I'd say. If I hadn't watched the game, I would have thought that the Spurs lost the game by 20 :lol

Spurtacular
11-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Come on 27/7 is good enough for at least a B :lol

24/7 I mistyped. And probably it was good enough for at least a B upon some extra reflection. I had to rush my grades and write-up because I have an unexpected happening and I have to leave the house, and I didn't want people waiting til ungodly hours for the grades. More on all this later.....

Though to add, I think I had it in my mind that I didn't want him too far ahead of Kawhi when I don't think he necessarily had even more of an impact on the game than his 'alpha' counterpart.

lilbthebasedgod
11-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Good on you for not inflating grades like some other people. I agree with most of them.

Em-City
11-26-2016, 11:13 PM
I'd give Aldridge a B for his bail out jump shooting in the first half,a well as how he looked to attack Morris in the first and Peter on the second halves.

Lee gets an A- he set some great screens and played well on d.

Simmons is a B+ he didn't turn the ball over as much as he would have in the past, even though the rest of the team was Sloppy with the ball. He also want great on d but his weaknesses didn't cost him and he had some nice steals/blocks.

Chinook
11-26-2016, 11:14 PM
:lmao please, whoever is in charge of allocating the grade threads, don't let this happen again, tbh..

Next enrollment period will start on 12/20 or so. First come, first served for folks who want to donate their time. I'm not turning down anyone who wants to contribute. As you well know, grades take time and effort.

You're welcome to throw your hat back in the ring if you can fit it into your schedule. Some of the new posters don't know how good of an analyst you actually are when you type more than a couple of sentences puntcuated with emojis or acronyms.

GSH
11-26-2016, 11:19 PM

Fiends don't let fiends grade games?

SpurPadre
11-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Had anyone not seen the game and just looked at the OP's grades, they should still think we beat the Wizards........in 2OT.

ElNono
11-26-2016, 11:24 PM
You can tell he put some work on it, and that's appreciated, tbh, thanks...

but it's difficult to take these seriously... :lol

GSH
11-26-2016, 11:29 PM
BTW - I did comment in the game thread that I still haven't figured out a player that LMA can post up. Maybe Fathead, but he's on the same team. A guy who's 6'11" and supposed to be a star in the league should have some pretty lofty expectations, including being able to post up second-tier big men. I don't blame you one bit for giving LMA a C+. We've talked about the grades being somewhat based on expectations. LMA certainly didn't put in more than a middle of the road performance for a star.

Robz4000
11-26-2016, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the write up, but I'm also not a fan of some of the grades.

YGWHI
11-26-2016, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the grades! :tu

Kawhi that was not assertive and vanished offensively. Some of this is because he just didn't seem to have his shot tonight.

AN UGLY .16 3P%.

I just read and like some thoughts on Kawhi tonight. If any of them are yours...Sorry guys, I steal them!

"If Kawhi is #1 on FG% Drives and #1 on PPP as Pick and Roll ball-handler why he takes so many bad three-point shots?"

"He should attack more instead of settling for 3's. 1-7. How many missed 3PA he needs to realize that?"

Me: F*cking Agree.

"Kawhi drawing fouls like an easy diet for him"
Me: That's what I'm talking about.

"Only Kawhi Leonard has better clutch plus-minus than Mike Conley this season."
Me: This means nothing but I like it.

"Kawhi's assist damn look sexy"
Me: Well, he was the team leading assist guy.

YGWHI
11-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Jonathan Simmons - B...And defensively, he just does not anticipate what a team is going to do. On an up-note, he did well on the drive and kicks.

Some athleticism on D is welcome...His block was nice. But I agree with you, most times he looks lost on that end.

Offensively, it's great to have at least one of Simms/Davis doing well, that can hide some Parker's or Manu's bad performance in the future.

TheGreatYacht
11-27-2016, 12:16 AM
People hate on LMA for no reason :lol had a great game today too..

Guess they're just trying to fit in lmao

Spursfanfromafar
11-27-2016, 12:23 AM
Bad grades. Poor writeup.. (This forum has really tanked btw, such mediocrity). Its as if the OP watched a different game. The Spurs are playing an NBA team. The Wizards aren't a JV league squad. And they were playing them on a back to back. All things considered, it was a good win and a good performance. And Simmons played well today, taking jumpers that he was avoiding in the previous games. Should give him "confidence...baby.. confidence".

DPG21920
11-27-2016, 01:21 AM
It's not that it's bad or poor quality (people whine so much) - it's that like I said all off-season that Spurs fans are spoiled. I'm not saying that in a mean way; it's just the way we have been exposed to unprecedented success.

Everything from the winning, margins of victory and championships all the way down to smaller but important things like having a low maintenance super star.

You can see it in these grades just like you see it with people blasting LMA for so many different things. Spurs fans, despite still having a top 5 team, are going to have to adjust and learn what things are like without a once-in-a-lifetime superstar at the helm for so long.

Good news is the future is still pretty damn bright which is amazing to me :lol

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 01:24 AM

I had a college professor who noted that we as society got away from the point of grades, which is to note the status of people's effort and to notate the room for improvement. Nowadays, grades are rather seen as rewards.

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 01:27 AM
BTW - I did comment in the game thread that I still haven't figured out a player that LMA can post up. Maybe Fathead, but he's on the same team. A guy who's 6'11" and supposed to be a star in the league should have some pretty lofty expectations, including being able to post up second-tier big men. I don't blame you one bit for giving LMA a C+. We've talked about the grades being somewhat based on expectations. LMA certainly didn't put in more than a middle of the road performance for a star.

Along the lines of my thinking. Kawhi and LMA should be held to a higher standard. As they go the team goes. We have playoff eliminations showing that.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-27-2016, 01:40 AM

Lol. Same. Here. Didn't we won't by 12+

will_spurs
11-27-2016, 01:41 AM
What's wrong with being a tough grader? The Wiz are 5-10 and the Spurs one of the top teams in the league. A blow-out is expected and an average performance by the key players is enough, so average grades are warranted. Kawhi shooting 5-14 and grabbing 1 rebound isn't worthy of praise.

RD2191
11-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Terrible grades. OP is a faggot.

ego
11-27-2016, 02:11 AM
Though but good grades !

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 02:11 AM
It's not that it's bad or poor quality (people whine so much) - it's that like I said all off-season that Spurs fans are spoiled. I'm not saying that in a mean way; it's just the way we have been exposed to unprecedented success.

Everything from the winning, margins of victory and championships all the way down to smaller but important things like having a low maintenance super star.

You can see it in these grades just like you see it with people blasting LMA for so many different things. Spurs fans, despite still having a top 5 team, are going to have to adjust and learn what things are like without a once-in-a-lifetime superstar at the helm for so long.

Good news is the future is still pretty damn bright which is amazing to me :lol

Thanks for the write up, but I'm also not a fan of some of the grades.

Tough grader tbh

Lol. Same. Here. Didn't we won't by 12+

Thanks for the work, Spurtacular. Glad to see soccer didn't call you away this time. Not loving your grades, though. I think outside of Tony, you graded everyone pretty harshly given that they blew out Washington. Guess you have high standards for them, though. Wall and Beal going off had a ton to do with those guys playing so many minutes. Simmons wasn't good defensively this game at all, though his plus-minus wouldn't suggest that. I did think Parker was fantastic in this game. And I loved the defense inside the paint. The amount of balls the Spurs managed to get their hands on was amazing to me.

Bad grades. Poor writeup.. (This forum has really tanked btw, such mediocrity). Its as if the OP watched a different game. The Spurs are playing an NBA team. The Wizards aren't a JV league squad. And they were playing them on a back to back. All things considered, it was a good win and a good performance. And Simmons played well today, taking jumpers that he was avoiding in the previous games. Should give him "confidence...baby.. confidence".

Ha was thinking the same. Tough grader.

Appreciate the writeups though :tu

Had anyone not seen the game and just looked at the OP's grades, they should still think we beat the Wizards........in 2OT.

You can tell he put some work on it, and that's appreciated, tbh, thanks...

but it's difficult to take these seriously... :lol

About four in five are saying the grades are too low as you can see. As I mentioned, short of doing grades the next day I had to do the grades fast and didn't have time to weigh everything with great care; so, what you're seeing is sort of kneejerk reaction. It's arguably more honest. I certainly didn't pander as you can tell. Though, I'm arguably more prone to misjudgments as well. But before getting to possible revisions, I should at least defend these grades because surely at least a part of me believed them to be adequate.

1. Collectively, the team played strong defense in the first half, which really set the wheels in motion on a fairly easy victory. Had they played at or near that level defensively in the second half, I think they would have mostly received grade boosts; but they relented and gave up a 32 point 3rd (albeit while scoring 36) and allowed the Wizards to hit 100, and we gave their fans Chic Filet sandwiches. Nah, man; make those bitches pay!

In essence the team itself would receive a higher grade than the individuals. That's actually the sign of a good team though, the whole being a greater value than the sum of the parts.

2. Four starters averaged a C while another starter had a stellar game. Some argue that LMA deserved a B (perhaps that's an oversight). So, if we put it that way, then it's 3 C's, 1 B, 1 A. How is that necessarily so bad? How is that supposed to make one think we lost (even at 4 C's 1 A)? Maybe if we played a team that actually played inspired basketball, we could've lost with such grades. But the Wizards just didn't come out to play. They were never a threat. That's either the truth of the matter or I'm under rating the Spurs stamp on the game. I argue the former; but it's a bit of a gray area b/c ths Spurs generally played solid all the same, tbh. Regardless, there are certain opponents in which tonight's performances simply wouldn't have gotten the job done. Enjoy the win, but that's how I see it (and thus, I don't think I'm suffering from any 'spoiled Spurs fan' syndrome).

3. As I was considering grades during the game, it occurred to me that there was potential to be more critical than if I were just a fan watching the game. I would ascribe some of the disconnect to that. Go back and watch the game and then tell me the Spurs really played that great on a technical level to receive better grades....

4. The only one who received lower than a C-, which is the type of grades I would especially expect to see in a losing performance, was Davis Bertans. And he played all of 11:26. And in his case, I could've gave him and F, tbh.

5. Aside from the garbage time players, Kawhi, Pau and Anderson were the only three to receive as low as a C-. I already noted in another post that Kawhi eventually found some rhythm out there. But if he shot that poorly and took himself out of the offense like that against a better team we could've been in real trouble. Kawhi is held to higher bar fair or not. He's certainly paid at that higher bar. As for Pau, there have been detractors against him. I actually like it when the team runs some offense through him in the post; he can make great passes like Duncan did. But tonight he floundered more on the perimeter. The box score doesn't show that; but I didn't think he was particularly good for the offense tonight; and as I mentioned, his defense was a bit below what I'd want as well. Too many late rotations and half ass contests for my liking. Some of that is due to age, imo; maybe he has to pace himself. But that's not my problem when it comes to grades. That's why I was hoping TD would stay and Pau would sign and come off the bench, tbh. I don't think he's a high quality starter night in and night out. His grade reflects that.

6. The three main bench players received a B+, B, C+; so, clearly the grades reflect that the bench had a good night and would not make one think a loss was the likely outcome. Does anyone think Patty and Simmons somehow deserved higher? Someone made a case for D Lee deserving higher. It's possible. I was probably just casually watching for his minutes especially. I liked the spring in his hop on that dunk and the seven boards in limited minutes like I said; but I didn't think he had any sort of offensive rhythm or great defensive impact either. I've seen him have better games this season, and a C+ is still not bad when you think about it.

7. So because the Spurs were playing a back to back I'm supposed to grade on a curve? Is that the standard ya'll want? The other team doesn't say, 'hey we got to go easy, they played yesterday.'

8. I'll admit I can see how people see it as tough grades or tougher than usual. I've said that perhaps Lee and LMA could have their grades bumped up. If that were the case, would ya'll still think it was tough? And even Kawhi could be bumped to a C+ if I were to be generous. Like I say, I think he played a strong game as the game went on and that he was really at the heart of not allowing the Wiz to make a game of it. But we really want to tell our superstar it's okay to have a sh** quarter and a half? I mean it's okay in some respects because it happens to everyone. But why should I give him a lenient grade for it?

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 02:19 AM
Though but good grades !

You know quality when you see it, good sir.

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 02:20 AM
Terrible grades. OP is a faggot.

Safe space poster acting up.

HI-FI
11-27-2016, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the grades, I thought they were pretty good. :lol

jeebus
11-27-2016, 02:56 AM
What grade does Jimmer get?

100%duncan
11-27-2016, 05:56 AM
Haven't watched the game but wow people are mad :lol I think it's nice we get to have different graders tbh

Chinook
11-27-2016, 07:54 AM
About four in five are saying the grades are too low as you can see. As I mentioned, short of doing grades the next day I had to do the grades fast and didn't have time to weigh everything with great care; so, what you're seeing is sort of kneejerk reaction. It's arguably more honest. I certainly didn't pander as you can tell. Though, I'm arguably more prone to misjudgments as well. But before getting to possible revisions, I should at least defend these grades because surely at least a part of me believed them to be adequate.

You're supposed to grade things as you see fit, not how you think others want you to grade. I can and do disagree with some of the grades, but that doesn't mean I want you to change them. In general, I think your grades are curved to a C rather than a B or B-minus, which is what I feel has been the unspoken consensus for grades of far (we'll see what TheDoctor shows in his 20-game analysis next week). And if that's the case, maybe we should all explicitly establish a standard for what adequate/average play is supposed to grade out as.

But beyond just the grades, your analysis was great, and that's really what the people who miss games are here for. I don't think you misinterpreted anything, and your higher standards may seem very warranted in a couple of months when the Spurs (hopefully) hit their stride and start destroying teams on the regular like the Clips and Warriors are doing right now. I think it's clear that you paid attention and put in work, and I for one appreciate that. You're more than welcome to come back into the grading rotation whenever we have open spots.

Chinook
11-27-2016, 07:56 AM
Once again, obligatory nine-minute highlight video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANAkSUfxGQ

elemento
11-27-2016, 08:06 AM

Ximo is a really underrated NBA contributor on youtube. The videos are ON 10-15 minutes after the game, it's crazy. I love his videos.

Chinook
11-27-2016, 08:17 AM
Ximo is a really underrated NBA contributor on youtube. The videos are ON 10-15 minutes after the game, it's crazy. I love his videos.

It can't be one person, can it? It's insane how many vids that channel puts out. Sure there are usually a couple of editing mistakes here and there. But however they do it, it's fantastic, especially in a context like this where people hadn't seen the game.

dbestpro
11-27-2016, 08:50 AM
I must have watched a different game.

Spursfanfromafar
11-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Does anyone think Patty and Simmons somehow deserved higher?

Dude you gave Simmons a B and I thought this was his best game since the Warriors game. And you cribbed about his shot selection, while I thought he finally hit some shots bravely without hesitating, when found open or when the defender wasn't placing a hand when he was about to shoot.

I thought Simmons deserved atleast a B+ ..infact I would have graded him A-.

But grades aren't important. They are subjective. Suggesting that Simmons would have got a D based on shot selection in a game when he played well and showed signs of the player we saw in the Warriors game was a fact to be appreciated, not to be denounced as you did.

Lastly, check his highlights out on youtube for this game. There is one spectacular block involved as well. The Spurs were missing athleticism last season in the playoffs and Simmons is showing signs of filling an important gap.

This is just one reason why I thought your write up was poor. And I disagree with Chinook.

100%duncan
11-27-2016, 09:42 AM

This will probably be enough right? The game seemed to be boring. Only full game I've missed was the pistons one. Do you think this game is worth the time to watch?

HankChinaski
11-27-2016, 09:48 AM
I always find the letter grades meaningless. I have always been interested in what people noticed of players game to game with these write ups. It gives a make up of consistency and what their pit falls are against types of players an teams. How many people actually go back an reread write-ups from game 1 of the season to mid season? It's a fan analysis but people here have a decent to good judgment on what the players an team should be doing.

I agreed with OP's thoughts of what should be wanted of our players. Hopefully when the team sits to watch game footage these things come across. For the most part we have seen stark improvements from opponents we have played a 2nd time. So I feel confident with these team come playoff time.

It is just a completely different team from 2014. Some people just need to accept change that squad isn't coming back on the court so the beautiful game, etcetera speeches need to just die.

SPURt
11-27-2016, 09:58 AM
I agree with these grades. Feeling bad about wins seems to be the theme right now. When Morris was going off to start the game i was worried the Spurs were playing down to the competition yet again. This Wizards team is awful, it looks like the Beal vs Wall thing is a problem for them. Wall didn't look that impressive.

The grades to me are accurate because no player outside of Tony had a great game. It was a team win and the grades reflect that.

Mr. Body
11-27-2016, 12:03 PM

1. Collectively, the team played strong defense in the first half, which really set the wheels in motion on a fairly easy victory. Had they played at or near that level defensively in the second half, I think they would have mostly received grade boosts; but they relented and gave up a 32 point 3rd (albeit while scoring 36) and allowed the Wizards to hit 100, and we gave their fans Chic Filet sandwiches. Nah, man; make those bitches pay!

In essence the team itself would receive a higher grade than the individuals. That's actually the sign of a good team though, the whole being a greater value than the sum of the parts.

2. Four starters averaged a C while another starter had a stellar game. Some argue that LMA deserved a B (perhaps that's an oversight). So, if we put it that way, then it's 3 C's, 1 B, 1 A. How is that necessarily so bad? How is that supposed to make one think we lost (even at 4 C's 1 A)? Maybe if we played a team that actually played inspired basketball, we could've lost with such grades. But the Wizards just didn't come out to play. They were never a threat. That's either the truth of the matter or I'm under rating the Spurs stamp on the game. I argue the former; but it's a bit of a gray area b/c ths Spurs generally played solid all the same, tbh. Regardless, there are certain opponents in which tonight's performances simply wouldn't have gotten the job done. Enjoy the win, but that's how I see it (and thus, I don't think I'm suffering from any 'spoiled Spurs fan' syndrome).

3. As I was considering grades during the game, it occurred to me that there was potential to be more critical than if I were just a fan watching the game. I would ascribe some of the disconnect to that. Go back and watch the game and then tell me the Spurs really played that great on a technical level to receive better grades....

4. The only one who received lower than a C-, which is the type of grades I would especially expect to see in a losing performance, was Davis Bertans. And he played all of 11:26. And in his case, I could've gave him and F, tbh.

5. Aside from the garbage time players, Kawhi, Pau and Anderson were the only three to receive as low as a C-. I already noted in another post that Kawhi eventually found some rhythm out there. But if he shot that poorly and took himself out of the offense like that against a better team we could've been in real trouble. Kawhi is held to higher bar fair or not. He's certainly paid at that higher bar. As for Pau, there have been detractors against him. I actually like it when the team runs some offense through him in the post; he can make great passes like Duncan did. But tonight he floundered more on the perimeter. The box score doesn't show that; but I didn't think he was particularly good for the offense tonight; and as I mentioned, his defense was a bit below what I'd want as well. Too many late rotations and half ass contests for my liking. Some of that is due to age, imo; maybe he has to pace himself. But that's not my problem when it comes to grades. That's why I was hoping TD would stay and Pau would sign and come off the bench, tbh. I don't think he's a high quality starter night in and night out. His grade reflects that.

6. The three main bench players received a B+, B, C+; so, clearly the grades reflect that the bench had a good night and would not make one think a loss was the likely outcome. Does anyone think Patty and Simmons somehow deserved higher? Someone made a case for D Lee deserving higher. It's possible. I was probably just casually watching for his minutes especially. I liked the spring in his hop on that dunk and the seven boards in limited minutes like I said; but I didn't think he had any sort of offensive rhythm or great defensive impact either. I've seen him have better games this season, and a C+ is still not bad when you think about it.

7. So because the Spurs were playing a back to back I'm supposed to grade on a curve? Is that the standard ya'll want? The other team doesn't say, 'hey we got to go easy, they played yesterday.'

8. I'll admit I can see how people see it as tough grades or tougher than usual. I've said that perhaps Lee and LMA could have their grades bumped up. If that were the case, would ya'll still think it was tough? And even Kawhi could be bumped to a C+ if I were to be generous. Like I say, I think he played a strong game as the game went on and that he was really at the heart of not allowing the Wiz to make a game of it. But we really want to tell our superstar it's okay to have a sh** quarter and a half? I mean it's okay in some respects because it happens to everyone. But why should I give him a lenient grade for it?

This is some of the stupidest shit I've ever read. Please don't do game grades or evaluation again. I give you a C-. Needs remedial work.

SAGirl
11-27-2016, 12:59 PM
The grades are entirely subjective and I think just for fun. I disagree with guys' grades,very often on games I watched, but I appreciate the review regardless. Manny of the controversial points are just conversation starters which are still fun...

And specially when I missed the games the comments section in the reviews are the most interesting and revealing + difference of opinion is better.

So, thanks fir the review. :tu

RD2191
11-27-2016, 01:20 PM
This is some of the stupidest shit I've ever read. Please don't do game grades or evaluation again. I give you a C-. Needs remedial work.
:lmao

GSH
11-27-2016, 01:26 PM
6. The three main bench players received a B+, B, C+; so, clearly the grades reflect that the bench had a good night

I think the problem here is that some people did better in school than others.

SPURt
11-27-2016, 01:47 PM

:lmao

sasaint
11-27-2016, 01:57 PM

Hasn't a "C" always meant "fair" or "average"? The Spurs looked like an average team holding off a slightly below average team.

Thanks for BOTH of your write-ups. I probably agree with all of your grades within a half-grade tolerance, and I really appreciate your analysis. I did see Simmons' performance in a different light than you. Consequently I disagreed with his write-up, but not much with his grade. Simmons is showing great progress in learning to play with patience and within the framework of the offense. To me he is developing judgment to go along with his athleticism. That's what I took from his performance. Hopefully he will be able to supplant Manu come playoff time.

Keepin' it real
11-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Grades

Kawhi Leonard - C-

Danny Green - C+

Paul Gasol - C-

LeMarcus Aldridge - C+

Pop - B

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/9/16/1442401101730/05248533-d1d0-4bcd-bb39-01ab7c7eb672-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&

raybies
11-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Truly appreciate the time u volunteered Spurtacular, so thanks. I've done two grades and it takes time and not to mention the courage to stand by your opinions.

I think Chinook nailed it though when he basically said you're ahead of your time though, but I respect your point of view. Probably Pop would have graded similar to you. LoL

r0drig0lac
11-27-2016, 04:37 PM

lmao

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 05:52 PM
Dude you gave Simmons a B and I thought this was his best game since the Warriors game. And you cribbed about his shot selection, while I thought he finally hit some shots bravely without hesitating, when found open or when the defender wasn't placing a hand when he was about to shoot.

I thought Simmons deserved atleast a B+ ..infact I would have graded him A-.

But grades aren't important. They are subjective. Suggesting that Simmons would have got a D based on shot selection in a game when he played well and showed signs of the player we saw in the Warriors game was a fact to be appreciated, not to be denounced as you did.

Lastly, check his highlights out on youtube for this game. There is one spectacular block involved as well. The Spurs were missing athleticism last season in the playoffs and Simmons is showing signs of filling an important gap.

This is just one reason why I thought your write up was poor. And I disagree with Chinook.

I can agree with the upgraded grade. My point was not that Simmons had a bad game as far as the results. My point was along the lines that he consistently goes for the homeruns on offense rather than developing certain fundamental aspects to his game (not uncommon among younger athletic players) and that he was not making certain defensive reads. On this night, he didn't get burned so much on it though; and he certainly had that nice track back block. But yea, I think I would've gave him the higher grade if I had the time to double check, so you're correct.

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 05:54 PM

GFY, tbh.

Horse
11-27-2016, 08:06 PM
Does anyone actually stay up waiting for the game grades?

Spurtacular
11-27-2016, 08:39 PM

Doubt it. Chinook has it consistently going now; but I doubt most people even noticed whenever they didn't come out before.

Hoops Czar
11-27-2016, 08:57 PM

I'm surprised timvp hasn't signed up to do a game grades now that he's free from all that time-consuming, behind-the-scenes administrative drama.

TheDoctor
11-27-2016, 11:09 PM
I'm surprised timvp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) hasn't signed up to do a game grades now that he's free from all that time-consuming, behind-the-scenes administrative drama.

He has done all the grades so far. We all are timvp's alts.

itzsoweezee
11-28-2016, 12:32 AM

Cosign

itzsoweezee
11-28-2016, 12:33 AM
The only people who think "C" means average probably flip burgers for a living.

will_spurs
11-28-2016, 02:05 AM
This is some of the stupidest shit I've ever read.

Read more.

Spursfanfromafar
11-28-2016, 03:17 AM
I can agree with the upgraded grade. My point was not that Simmons had a bad game as far as the results. My point was along the lines that he consistently goes for the homeruns on offense rather than developing certain fundamental aspects to his game (not uncommon among younger athletic players) and that he was not making certain defensive reads. On this night, he didn't get burned so much on it though; and he certainly had that nice track back block. But yea, I think I would've gave him the higher grade if I had the time to double check, so you're correct.

Thanks. Please avoid grading again if you aren't able to give a proper evaluation based on what your eyes see and need a second look everytime.

Spurtacular
11-28-2016, 03:27 AM
Thanks. Please avoid grading again if you aren't able to give a proper evaluation based on what your eyes see and need a second look everytime.

Volunteer to grade if you don't like it.

cutewizard
11-28-2016, 04:58 AM
Simmons had a great game, insane athleticism, hmmm

hope Pop plays him more, would be great for Manu to rest

superbigtime
11-28-2016, 09:18 AM
grades are kind of harsh overall. I recall spurs kicked Wiz butt. Lee and Simmons could get bumped up. Can see why Kawhi got a low grade though.

Phenomanul
11-28-2016, 09:40 AM
He has done all the grades so far. We all are timvp's alts.

timvp is Negan?

NameLess Scrub
11-28-2016, 10:09 AM

Is he backing down now more than in POR? It seems he can post up anyone, as long as he goes with the turnaround jumper. Backing down hard seems a bit harder for him, maybe he's not that strong. He's also getting in shape through playing. Maybe he'll get better later on the season.

NameLess Scrub
11-28-2016, 10:23 AM
You're supposed to grade things as you see fit, not how you think others want you to grade. I can and do disagree with some of the grades, but that doesn't mean I want you to change them. In general, I think your grades are curved to a C rather than a B or B-minus, which is what I feel has been the unspoken consensus for grades of far (we'll see what TheDoctor (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49616) shows in his 20-game analysis next week). And if that's the case, maybe we should all explicitly establish a standard for what adequate/average play is supposed to grade out as.

But beyond just the grades, your analysis was great, and that's really what the people who miss games are here for. I don't think you misinterpreted anything, and your higher standards may seem very warranted in a couple of months when the Spurs (hopefully) hit their stride and start destroying teams on the regular like the Clips and Warriors are doing right now. I think it's clear that you paid attention and put in work, and I for one appreciate that. You're more than welcome to come back into the grading rotation whenever we have open spots.

I was wondering this. Do you guys have some reference on the impact it takes to get each grade based on the expectations of each player? That'd be cool.

Chinook
11-28-2016, 10:30 AM
I was wondering this. Do you guys have some reference on the impact it takes to get each grade based on the expectations of each player? That'd be cool.

I've been curving to a B/B-minus. A B for me is essentially a performance I want to see every night from a guy in order for me to think he's doing his job. And it's sort of graded on a curve from there. I give out A's to grades for games that I feel will be in the top 12-15 games that player plays all year, and I give C's and to what I feel are going to be the bottom 20 or so (with five or so of those being D and F candidates).

Obviously, at this stage, that's just a guess. It would be much easier to use my method later in the year when more data is known. That's why my standard for what a B performance for some players has shifted over the course of my three grade threads.

TheDoctor
11-28-2016, 10:55 AM
timvp is Negan?

Intriguing :lol

NameLess Scrub
11-28-2016, 10:59 AM
I've been curving to a B/B-minus. A B for me is essentially a performance I want to see every night from a guy in order for me to think he's doing his job. And it's sort of graded on a curve from there. I give out A's to grades for games that I feel will be in the top 12-15 games that player plays all year, and I give C's and to what I feel are going to be the bottom 20 or so (with five or so of those being D and F candidates).

Obviously, at this stage, that's just a guess. It would be much easier to use my method later in the year when more data is known. That's why my standard for what a B performance for some players has shifted over the course of my three grade threads.

Thanks.

Would be interesting to come back to these at the end of the RS.

GSH
11-28-2016, 11:26 AM
And if that's the case, maybe we should all explicitly establish a standard for what adequate/average play is supposed to grade out as.

Heh. You remember when I brought this up before, and you said that anyone who isn't trolling knows that the grades are adjusted for the expectations for each player. I wasn't trolling then, and I'm not now. Lots of people don't see the grades that way. Lap, for instance, is a deep bench 3rd PG. I'd be happy if he performed like Patty on a so-so night. But he would have to play like a starter to get an "A" from most people here.

Simmons is still an undrafted walk-on who only got a shot because he paid 150 bucks to get a tryout. When he gets 15 points, 4 AST, 2 steals and a block, I call that a pretty good night. I don't think he should be graded down because he didn't play like a 30 year old Manu. The OP sees it differently, and that's fine. But it can't be a surprise when a lot of people disagree.

But then again, put together a Top 10 or even Top 100 list of players, and you're going to have just about everyone screaming that this guy is too high, this guy is too low, and this guy never should have made the list. Game grades are no different.

Chinook
11-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Heh. You remember when I brought this up before, and you said that anyone who isn't trolling knows that the grades are adjusted for the expectations for each player. I wasn't trolling then, and I'm not now. Lots of people don't see the grades that way. Lap, for instance, is a deep bench 3rd PG. I'd be happy if he performed like Patty on a so-so night. But he would have to play like a starter to get an "A" from most people here.

But then we're talking about different things. What I has said originally is that non-trolls know that not every player is going to be graded the same, so Kawhi getting 12 points will be graded much more harshly than Bertans getting the same total. I do think everyone knows that to at least some extent.

What I was talking about in this thread was whether an average night would be a C, B, A or somewhere in between. As I said, I curve to a B. But if someone curves to a C, then it's not like they're wrong. And if they do curve to a C, that would make A's much harder to get and C-minuses to Fs easier. If we all just agreed one way or the other, then the grades would probably have less variance and controversy.

You're right though, that there will always be differences in standards. For me, Simmons scoring a handful of points efficiently and not hurting the team on D might warrant a B-minus. But for guys who actually think Jonathon is a good player, then the piss-poor defense he played in the last game might really cost him.

GSH
11-28-2016, 11:49 AM
Is he backing down now more than in POR? It seems he can post up anyone, as long as he goes with the turnaround jumper. Backing down hard seems a bit harder for him, maybe he's not that strong. He's also getting in shape through playing. Maybe he'll get better later on the season.

Yeah, I don't really know about now vs. his Portland days. Memory is a tricky thing, and a lot of what I'm talking about doesn't show up in a stat sheet, since he just dumps the ball off to another player. I know the last few games he's had quite a few opportunities that I thought should have been mis-matches, and he's just been pathetic. All he's doing down there is wasting some shot clock before he dumps it off to someone else. It would be one thing if he made the perfect pass and got someone else a wide open shot, but he had zero AST against WAS.

Maybe I'm being too hard on him. Mostly I guess I'm frustrated because he's a 6'11" guy who can't slide to the C when the Spurs have someone hurt. But I guess everyone knew that when they signed him.

GSH
11-28-2016, 12:08 PM
But then we're talking about different things. What I has said originally is that non-trolls know that not every player is going to be graded the same, so Kawhi getting 12 points will be graded much more harshly than Bertans getting the same total. I do think everyone knows that to at least some extent.

What I was talking about in this thread was whether an average night would be a C, B, A or somewhere in between. As I said, I curve to a B. But if someone curves to a C, then it's not like they're wrong. And if they do curve to a C, that would make A's much harder to get and C-minuses to Fs easier. If we all just agreed one way or the other, then the grades would probably have less variance and controversy.

You're right though, that there will always be differences in standards. For me, Simmons scoring a handful of points efficiently and not hurting the team on D might warrant a B-minus. But for guys who actually think Jonathon is a good player, then the piss-poor defense he played in the last game might really cost him.

LOL. Is that what we're talking about?

Look - an average night for Kawhi right now is 24 points, 6 boards, 3 AST, and 2 steals. Nobody is going to give Kawhi a "C" for the game if he puts up an "average" (for him) line like that. Nobody. So I don't think the problem is that anyone is "curving to a C". The point is, an average night for one player is very different than for another player, and it just makes sense to adjust the grades accordingly.

In the last game against WAS, Kawhi went 5-14 from the floor, and 1-6 from the 3P line. That kind of inefficiency should get any player graded down. But if I were giving the grades, I probably would have taken into account that he made 10 trips to the FT line, which sort of indicates that they were beating the shit out of him. The ones that didn't get called likely caused some of those misses. But only one rebound? Yeah, I think it was still a sub-par night for Kawhi. But for most players in the league, that same performance would have been a solid "A", don't you think?

You can argue with me all you want, but when a set of grades gets this much sniping, there's a disconnect somewhere. You call it "curving to a C". Most people call it nitpicking.

Chinook
11-28-2016, 12:23 PM
LOL. Is that what we're talking about?

Yes, and the rest of your response indicated as much. We're not disagreeing on whether an average Kawhi outing is better than most players' good outings. You can find different ways to say that, and I can find different ways of agreeing with it, but it won't change anything.

You can argue with me all you want, but when a set of grades gets this much sniping, there's a disconnect somewhere. You call it "curving to a C". Most people call it nitpicking.

I think most people would agree it was a below-average Kawhi outing. For me, that would have gotten a B-minus or C-plus (his defense on Beal was pretty mediocre). But not everyone believes in curving to a B. Some curve to a C or B-plus or whatever. Some people curve based on the result of the game (Can't give a lot of good grades in losses or bad grades in quality wins). Some don't have a standard but still believing in the idea of curving based on expectations.

But almost no one is going to grade Parker on CP3's standard or Green on Harden's. I think we all innately understand that there's a difference there. We're we all differ is in how we see the players in terms of their average performance. You and I might grade Simmons more generously given that he's not a very good player. Some might not see him as that bad and have higher expectations. On top of that, without knowing what standard to use for average performances, it's hard to know what people mean anyway.

What would you grade average performances as?

GSH
11-28-2016, 12:46 PM
What would you grade average performances as?

Meh. I don't want to get bogged down in semantics. But Kawhi is easily living up to expectations night in and night out. An average performance for him is an A in my book, every time. Maybe if he has a bunch of TO's, or gets his numbers at the expense of other players I might grade that down. But that's not "average" for him.

Kyle, IMO, is under-performing so far this season. An "average" night for him right now, is well below what is expected (and needed) from him. Last season, his points, AST's, and FTA's were about double what he's putting up this season, even though his MPG have only dropped very slightly. So the funny thing is, if Simmons has a game with stats like he had last year, most people would probably give him an "A", just because it's so much better than they way he's been playing. I expected more out of him this year, and not less - and I think PATFO did, too.

Tell you what. Read the OP's write-up of Simmons, which was responsible for the grade he gave. He's talking about who Simmons is, and not how he played. I'm just telling you, that kind of shit is going to cause a lot of argument over game grades. I don't know if he's right or wrong about the player, but his performance in that game was just about what the team should be hoping for. Sure, I'd like a Sixth Man OTY player in that roster spot. But for Simmons, that was a pretty good performance. And the OP even talks about how that could have been a "D" performance on another night?

You're analyzing why there is such discrepancy over this set of grades, and I think I'm giving you some reasons. We can disagree on that, too, if you want.

Chinook
11-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Meh. I don't want to get bogged down in semantics. But Kawhi is easily living up to expectations night in and night out. An average performance for him is an A in my book, every time. Maybe if he has a bunch of TO's, or gets his numbers at the expense of other players I might grade that down. But that's not "average" for him.

So now you're saying you don't grade on a curve. I apologize if I had misinterpreted you. I consider giving Kawhi 70 A's in a season to be uninformative, but that's your call. If you ever sign up for a thread, it will be interesting to see how it scores.

So the funny thing is, if Simmons has a game with stats like he had last year, most people would probably give him an "A", just because it's so much better than they way he's been playing. I expected more out of him this year, and not less - and I think PATFO did, too.

That's how curving based on expectations is supposed to work. If Simmons keep getting better, the same performances would score worse and worse. If Simmons becomes the next Westbrook, then no, he's not going to get praise for 15 points and bad defense. Meanwhile if Anderson does that, he'll probably get A's from people until those become the norm for him.

Tell you what. Read the OP's write-up of Simmons, which was responsible for the grade he gave. He's talking about who Simmons is, and not how he played. I'm just telling you, that kind of shit is going to cause a lot of argument over game grades.

No one should have any issue with there being blow-back about grades. Even I disagreed with them. But I'm going to support the right for people to grade as they see fit unless we can come up with something better. Disagreeing is fine, but lambasting a guy who just took an hour out of his night to do a write up is wrong-headed.

I don't know if he's right or wrong about the player, but his performance in that game was just about what the team should be hoping for. Sure, I'd like a Sixth Man OTY player in that roster spot. But for Simmons, that was a pretty good performance. And the OP even talks about how that could have been a "D" performance on another night?

Simmons was much better in the Warriors game. In this game, his D was pretty spotty. His plus-minus suggests he didn't give it all back on the other end. I am not going to give him a D, but I certain expect him to do better than letting Beal, Wall or Porter score on him at will. I think Spurtacular was thinking that that level of play wouldn't cut it against a better team. He said a couple of times that he thought Washington went into the game knowing they weren't going to win and never really posed a threat.

You're analyzing why there is such discrepancy over this set of grades, and I think I'm giving you some reasons. We can disagree on that, too, if you want.

I was replying to a poster asking if we have standards for grades. I was agreeing that that might help. That would not mean that the grades would line up, but you'd have a better idea of what each grade means if you knew the rubric beforehand.

GSH
11-28-2016, 01:24 PM
So now you're saying you don't grade on a curve. I apologize if I had misinterpreted you. I consider giving Kawhi 70 A's in a season to be uninformative, but that's your call. If you ever sign up for a thread, it will be interesting to see how it scores.

I've said the same thing all along. I would base grades on the expectations for each player. And I already said that I would have graded Kawhi down for that last game, didn't I? But, yeah, if the guy puts up 25 points, 6 boards, 3 AST, 2 steals, and a block... and plays good D, which is "average" for him? Yeah, I'm giving him an A. I'm funny that way.

I hope you enjoyed writing the rest of that fucking dissertation, because life is just too short to read it all.

Supercilious prick.

TheDoctor
11-28-2016, 02:33 PM
...we'll see what TheDoctor (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49616) shows in his 20-game analysis next week...

So far, I'm just missing the Grades for the Sacto game (Nov 16) assigned to Splits and the Lakers game (Nov 18) assigned to buttsR4rebounding.

Perhaps you guys could lead me to where those Grades are? Links?

Can't find them tbh.

Chinook
11-28-2016, 02:36 PM
I've said the same thing all along. I would base grades on the expectations for each player. And I already said that I would have graded Kawhi down for that last game, didn't I? But, yeah, if the guy puts up 25 points, 6 boards, 3 AST, 2 steals, and a block... and plays good D, which is "average" for him? Yeah, I'm giving him an A. I'm funny that way.

I hope you enjoyed writing the rest of that fucking dissertation, because life is just too short to read it all.

Supercilious prick.

I feel bad for you sometimes. You act like this guy who can't have a normal conversation without flying off the handle, and I pretty much write you off. Then you drop a nugget here or there that makes me go, "This dude's probably dealing with some real shit and is just stressed out." I don't know which it is. I hope everything is going well in your life and you just flip out here because it's how you have fun. But whatever it is, it makes it really confusing to interact with you.

I misunderstood you and apologized for it. And you're more than welcomed to sign up for a thread or threads so we can see how your philosophy looks in action. That's all there really is to say about the small part of post that you read.

Chinook
11-28-2016, 02:39 PM
So far, I'm just missing the Grades for the Sacto game (Nov 16) assigned to Splits (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=24583) and the Lakers game (Nov 18) assigned to buttsR4rebounding (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14446).

Perhaps you guys could lead me to where those Grades are? Links?

Can't find them tbh.

I've been really bad about it lately and will correct it soon, but in the OP of the grade organization threads, the grades are hyperlinked to the time for each line (and the game threads are in the match-up). Just click there for the SAC game to get to Splits' review (it's on the backup site). As far as the Lakers game, I think that's just a miss.

Spurtacular
12-04-2016, 02:41 AM

I'd do it again if for no other reason than to piss your pansy bitch ass off.
And upon further thought, I'm fine with the Simmons B grade. He ran around with no clue of the team defense schematics.

Spursfanfromafar
12-04-2016, 04:17 AM
I'd do it again if for no other reason than to piss your pansy bitch ass off.
And upon further thought, I'm fine with the Simmons B grade. He ran around with no clue of the team defense schematics.

Ha ha :) Seems it is someone else who is pissed off.

Go ahead and give it a good shot. Critique only makes folks better.