PDA

View Full Version : The Great Wall of...LaMarcus?

Dex
11-29-2016, 11:01 AM

Aldridge seems to catch a lot of flack around here for his defensive production (or lack thereof), but surprisingly...he is putting up Duncanesque numbers protecting the rim thus far this season.

Maybe we've been misled in thinking that Pau is the "replacement Tim" just because he came in as Tim left. Aldridge was originally brought in to be Tim's successor, and seems to be buying into the defense in second season. He also plays in the same spots that Timmy used to...power forward with range and a variety of post moves (although LMA is more reliant on his midrange game).

Sure, he will never be the leader Duncan was, but if Aldridge can sustain this defensive efficiency while also providing his expected offense, it's hard to say that he isn't an upgrade over Timmy statistically over the past couple seasons.

At that point, Pau becomes the second post option...and is easily a better second option than Tim ever had (despite what the Tiago lovers say)

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Aldridge's defense is very underrated, though that stat is quite impressive and surprising. He also does quite well when switched on guards on the perimeter.

I just wish he'd not pass out of post ups so often. He rarely goes even at smaller players. When he's on he's too big and strong for most players to stop him in the post.

bklynspursfan
11-29-2016, 11:08 AM
Makes sense. Thanks for sharing.. Aldridge has definitely been a bit more focused on defense, at least IMO. It's why his slow start offensively hasn't bothered me too much, (plus it's almost identical to his slow start last season, comparing his numbers) It's almost like he's pacing himself, and can turn it on when needed, as we saw against the Warriors.

We will need him at the top of his game on both ends come playoff time/

Chinook
11-29-2016, 11:09 AM
RealGM fans who argue that Favors is better than LMA because of his vast defensive superiority would hate that tweet.

$pursDynasty
11-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Don't sleep on LMA I recall last year NOBODY except Steph wanted to go in the lane against the Spurs, because between Timmay and LMA there were blocked shots aplenty and the main reason for our historic defensive stats.

JuneJive
11-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Nice. LMA never got enough credit for his play on the defensive side of the floor, but who the hell cares.

TheGreatYacht
11-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Most underrated Spur in history

HarlemHeat37
11-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Despite starting the season poorly on defense(the first few games), Aldridge has never been a bad defensive player at any point of his career, tbh, he's actually underrated on that end..it's a false perception..

However, he's an extremely overrated offensive player and his overall impact is relatively weak for a star player..

$pursDynasty
11-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Despite starting the season poorly on defense(the first few games), Aldridge has never been a bad defensive player at any point of his career, tbh, he's actually underrated on that end..it's a false perception..

However, he's an extremely overrated offensive player and his overall impact is relatively weak for a star player..
maybe slightly overrated but I still preferred him over Marc Gasol last year.

illusioNtEk
11-29-2016, 03:44 PM
LMA wakes up during playoff time anyways... alot of cry babies in this forum

superbigtime
11-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Can people give LaMarcus a break? It's kind of fun to grouch about him, but he is doing a solid job. If we didn't have LaMarcus we would be completely screwed.

MaNu4Tres
11-29-2016, 03:58 PM

It all comes down to being able to put pressure at the rim for him in PnRs or in ISO post ups or face ups. Instead of being an All Star heavy-footed mid range statue.

With him coming into the season out of shape again, he can't move as well to put effective pressure at the rim.

Losing 15 lbs of bad weight would make him more effective at putting pressure at the rim as he'd gain a step in quickness/foot speed/ acceleration. His face up game would be more lethal, as he would be able to incorporate pump fakes and getting by his man when they'd close hard or jump out to contest his jumper.

Weak side defense would have to pay more attention to him as well and would have to rotate quicker and sooner -- which would develop highly efficient shots or opportunities for others. Right now when they give him the ball in 4 down opportunities, the end result is almost always a contest mid range fade-away. He needs to be able to manufacture better shots for him and others out of that set for him to be effective.

TheGreatYacht
11-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Fat necks talking about weight control loo

MaNu4Tres
11-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Fat necks talking about weight control loo

Clueless as usual.

How you find the time to post garbage 18K times on this site boggles my mind.

I pray for you.

TheGreatYacht
11-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Clueless as usual.

How you find the time to post garbage 18K times on this site boggles my mind.

I pray for you.
You wanted to blow the team up in Oct-Nov, shut up faggot.

Also lol @ "pray". Might as well let you know Santa ain't real

MaNu4Tres
11-29-2016, 05:14 PM
You wanted to blow the team up in Oct-Nov, shut up faggot.

Also lol @ "pray". Might as well let you know Santa ain't real

Doesn't surprise me you lack 1st grade level comprehension.

TheGreatYacht
11-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Doesn't surprise me you lack 1st grade level comprehension.
You went on a 13 page meltdown when those LMA trade rumors popped up.... Said Parker might be the worst PG on the team.... etc etc I can go on and on

You have bottom of the barrel basketball takes, buddy. Get off your high horse shit scrub.

sasaint
11-29-2016, 06:21 PM
It all comes down to being able to put pressure at the rim for him in PnRs or in ISO post ups or face ups. Instead of being an All Star heavy-footed mid range statue.

With him coming into the season out of shape again, he can't move as well to put effective pressure at the rim.

Losing 15 lbs of bad weight would make him more effective at putting pressure at the rim as he'd gain a step in quickness/foot speed/ acceleration. His face up game would be more lethal, as he would be able to incorporate pump fakes and getting by his man when they'd close hard or jump out to contest his jumper.

Weak side defense would have to pay more attention to him as well and would have to rotate quicker and sooner -- which would develop highly efficient shots or opportunities for others. Right now when they give him the ball in 4 down opportunities, the end result is almost always a contest mid range fade-away. He needs to be able to manufacture better shots for him and others out of that set for him to be effective.

Unfortunately, that's his game - not just "right now." That's why some of us were not excited by his signing with the Spurs. I don't see him changing his "spots."

Kawhitstorm
11-29-2016, 07:48 PM
One thing Softridge sucks at is transition defense but Pau might be the worst in the league.:lol

GSH
11-29-2016, 08:27 PM
One thing Softridge sucks at is transition defense but Pau might be the worst in the league.:lol

It's hard to play defense from the other end of the floor. Pau doesn't suck at transition D - he just doesn't play transition D.

DPG21920
11-29-2016, 08:34 PM
It's hard to play defense from the other end of the floor. Pau doesn't suck at transition D - he just doesn't play transition D.

If you never try, you can't let anyone down.

Mnky
11-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Most underrated Spur in history

He only came in and helped lead them to a franchise record wins tbh.

When you have fathead fanboys and girls still around, i guess you can't expect much from them.

Mnky
11-29-2016, 09:13 PM
Aldridge's defense is very underrated, though that stat is quite impressive and surprising. He also does quite well when switched on guards on the perimeter.

I just wish he'd not pass out of post ups so often. He rarely goes even at smaller players. When he's on he's too big and strong for most players to stop him in the post.

Agreed on all.

timtonymanu
11-29-2016, 09:16 PM
wrong thread

Gagnrath
11-29-2016, 09:32 PM
In some ways Aldridge reminds me of Rasheed Wallace on offense when the guy wants to play as a serious post player with a decent jump shot he is a world beater but most of the time because he is tall enough and fast enough and doesn't like to make contact he would rather shoot semi contested jumpers from about 12 to 15 foot. They are both skilled enough it works but it sure is frustrating as a fan because you really want for your guy to show you the dominant player he can be night in and night out instead of the good but somewhat inefficient player he would rather be. From a player point of view though it makes lots of sense as you will get paid based on those occasionally dominant games and your per game averages as a big man. So you might be looking at very slightly less money but way less chance of injury wear and tear and possibly an extra season or two not banging inside regular.

Capt Bringdown
11-29-2016, 10:51 PM
LMA is our Vin Baker.

SAGirl
11-29-2016, 11:32 PM

When you have fathead fanboys and girls still around, i guess you can't expect much from them.
Wow
low blaming this on Kyle TBH.
Be a man

TheGreatYacht
11-30-2016, 02:05 AM

Truth bomb tbh

YGWHI
11-30-2016, 02:37 AM
low blaming this on Kyle TBH
Agreed. There is no need to do it.

LMA's work is not ignored by fans but if that was the case, it has nothing to do with Kyle or his supporters here.

SAGirl
11-30-2016, 02:52 AM
Agreed. There is no need to do it.

LMA's work is not ignored by fans but if that was the case, it has nothing to do with Kyle or his supporters here.
:tu
That was what ppl would call unnecessary trolling and maybe a deflection thread. A cheap shot at Kyle bc his feelings got hurt somehow, somewhere, I don't even know by who.

Mnky
11-30-2016, 04:37 AM
Fathead fan boys and girls in tryhard mode, completely missing the point per par. The comment was about the fans, not fathead, and how they're oblivious.

Reinforcing my statement. :lol

SAGirl
11-30-2016, 04:42 AM
Fathead fan boys and girls in tryhard mode, completely missing the point per par. The comment was about the fans, not fathead, and how they're oblivious.

Reinforcing my statement. :lol
wow
and you reinforcing your trolling, now on fans... didn't know the LAME fans would get that low.

Heck I think I am the only Kyle fan here. most of the board hates and some guys are maybe just a tad disappointed in him but he has a bigger trade Kyle and hate on Kyle brigade than fans ...

You are extremely sensitive and deflect all over yea.

Mnky
11-30-2016, 04:44 AM
wow
and you reinforcing your trolling, now on fans... didn't know the LAME fans would get that low. now you have to hate on fans. Heck I think I am the only Kyle fan here. most of the board hates and some guys are maybe just a tad disappointed and that is that.

You are extremely sensitive lol

:lol
It's cute to see you try so hard with your troll game.

4/10

SAGirl
11-30-2016, 04:45 AM

4/10I do not troll ... if you think that was trolling I don't know what to tell you. LAME is just as common a name as fathead here and I didn't make up either.

dabom
11-30-2016, 10:34 AM

4/10

She is a 6/10 on the troll scale to me. :lol

Mnky
11-30-2016, 09:12 PM
She is a 6/10 on the troll scale to me. :lol

Seems accurate, but I had to deduct points for emotional attachment. You could tell when she started talking about feelings she was lost in them.