PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades Magic vs Spurs

coachmac87
11-30-2016, 01:01 AM
Tony Parker (F) 29min 3pts 3asst 2reb 0/6FG 1stl 4TO

When turnovers is your leading stat category you deserve an F. Dude was terrible and lost his confidence almost immediately when his first couple of shots didn't fall. He's the point guard and IMO it's his duty to bring the energy and aggressive attitude to the SL. He came out sloppy and couldn't buy a bucket and that honestly summed up the entire game. How ironic

Danny Green (D+) 23min 2pts 2asst 5reb 1/4FG (0/3 3PT) 1stl 1TO

Just wasn't really a factor and didn't make an impact offensively. He's such an unconfident player at times he kind of goes as the team goes and doesn't set the tone. The team struggled to make a shot all night and he followed suit and didn't hit a single three point attempt. He was OK on defense and grabbed 5 rebounds which was good but just wasn't a real factor all game.

Kawhi Leonard (B-) 32min 21pts 0asst 2reb 6/16FG (1/4 3PT) 2stl 2TO

Lead the team in scoring but that's a pretty much a given these days. I feel he could've had a better effort defensively and should've dominated due to the Magic lack of an elite offensive weapon on the wing. He was aggressive on offense and got to the line but I still feel he gets a "Kobe" mindset and takes bad shots and sometimes relies too much on the officials. His release has been inconsistent from three lately and had a terrible air ball which again summarized how terrible this game really was

LaMarcus Aldridge (B-) 30min 16pts 3asst 6reb 7/12FG (1/1 3PT) 1blk 1TO

Shot the ball well from the outside and closed the first half with a nice three ball in the corner. Down low he got pushed around and just wasn't strong enough on both ends. Couldn't get a call but I blame that on him for just going up soft. His touches on the offensive end were inconsistent but the Magic have pretty good bodies when it comes to bigs that gave him some trouble tonight.

Pau Gasol (C-) 22min 6pts 3asst 6reb 2/6FG

He just wasn't very good tonight and seemed to lack energy at times. He really does have lack of focus and anticipation on the defensive end and that showed tonight and really played the least amount of minutes out of the starters. Seemed out of it like the entire team for the entire game.

Manu Ginobili (B) 22min 13pts 3asst 6reb 4/9 FG (2/5 3PT) 2stl 2TO

Honestly if we got this kind of production from Manu every night the Spurs would be golden. He had his moments where his age showed attacking the basket but he was aggressive like always which was needed due to the whole team struggling to make a shot. He brought the right energy and made the biggest impact off the bench IMO.

Patty Mills (C) 19min 7pts 2asst 2reb 2/5FG (1/3 3PT) 1stl 2 TO

He should've played more minutes tonight but he didn't and he never got into a rhythm to make an impact. I felt he brought good energy like he always does but he missed open looks and his shot couldn't fall tonight and he's for his standards this season just was average.

Johnathon Simmons (C) 18min 6pts 1ast 3reb 3/8FG (0/2 3PT) 2stl 2TO

I loved his aggressiveness and he brought energy tonight but it was an odd game overall. He attempted a couple midrange pull ups which I don't think I've seen since the GSW game but him taking shots outside of the paint and missing are BAD possessions for the Spurs.

Dewayne Dedmond (B+) 17min 6pts 0asst 8reb 3/4FG 2blk 1stl 1TO

Good to have him back and did excellent in the limited minutes and was kind of surprised to see him do so well. He was active on the boards and lead the team in rebounding and had couple of blocks. Really couldn't ask for more from him for his first game back hopefully he can stay healthy and am curious to see if he plays tomorrow.

David Lee (D) 11min 2pts 1asst 3reb 0/4reb 1TO

Dedmond coming back really ate into his minutes. Didn't play much but he was pretty bad when he was in there...he has played so well lately it was a shame he may have had his worst game of the season.

Davis Bertans (INC) 6min 1blk 0/1 FG

Nice Block.

Coach Pop (F)

He lost the game when he subbed the entire SL in the first quarter. Period. I hate it when coaches do that and it puts your bench in a tough spot...especially when you have a returning player like Dedmond. Pop biggest flaw as a coach are his fucked up rotations and when to play certain players and he realllly fucked this one up.

Spurs Fans (F)

It's a fucking joke on the turnout/energy this year when it comes to home games.

This was a tough game to watch/grade and it sucks I had to grade the worst game of the season IMO :lol

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2016, 01:03 AM
:tu thanks for the thoughts..

The last point has been a trend, unfortunately..the crowds have been horrible, so far..

houston spurs fan
11-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Nobody's going to read these bullshit grades because nobody gives a shit. But don't dog the fans, you have no idea what we are going through asshole.

Hoops Czar
11-30-2016, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the writeup!

Some players get coddled more than others. When the best player on the team has a below average shooting night and has as many turnover as total rebounds but, still gets a B-, it makes you think.

coachmac87
11-30-2016, 01:06 AM
Nobody's going to read these bullshit grades because nobody gives a shit. But don't dog the fans, you have no idea what we are going through asshole.

Fuck you tbh

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2016, 01:07 AM
Fuck you tbh

:lmao:lmao

houston spurs fan
11-30-2016, 01:08 AM
Fuck you tbh
No fuck you. Tired of you bandwagoners dogging the fans down here. No idea what it's like. Still haven't wasted time with your bullshit grades.

spursistan
Thanks for the write up :tu

Spurs Fans (F)

It's a fucking joke on the turnout/energy this year when it comes to home games.

:lmao..

Move this team to Seattle or the DC area, tbh..

RD2191
Fuck you tbh
:bobo

houston spurs fan
:lmao:lmao
Fuck you too Troll

Robz4000
11-30-2016, 01:09 AM

He's talking about the fans at the game, which we've talked about before. Spurs might have the worst home crowd in the league.

houston spurs fan
11-30-2016, 01:14 AM
He's talking about the fans at the game, which we've talked about before. Spurs might have the worst home crowd in the league.
Then come out and support the team.

Hoops Czar
11-30-2016, 01:14 AM

When you play like the Washington Generals at home, people are going to treat you like the Washington Generals. Would you pay to see the Spurs not knowing what kind of silly rotations and nonsense hold outs Pop is going to employ that night? Pop and the Spurs are getting everything they deserve.

coachmac87
11-30-2016, 01:15 AM
No fuck you. Tired of you bandwagoners dogging the fans down here. No idea what it's like. Still haven't wasted time with your bullshit grades.

You read my grades tbh....so fuck you

timtonymanu
11-30-2016, 01:16 AM
Thanks, coach.

houston spurs fan
11-30-2016, 01:17 AM
You read my grades tbh....so fuck you
Nope, just the end about the fans. Fuck you "bandwagon fan". Haven't listened to your podcast either but I guess like 15 people have so congrats

Robz4000
11-30-2016, 01:18 AM

Been to two games so far this season. Problem is all these companies buy out all the lower level seats and they end up doing nothing with the tickets.

coachmac87
Nope, just the end about the fans. Fuck you "bandwagon fan". Haven't listened to your podcast either but I guess like 15 people have so congrats

You're my #1 Stan!

YGWHI
This was a tough game to watch/grade and it sucks I had to grade the worst game of the season IMO :lol

Agree. It would be easier to write about a win than an ugly loss like this so I want to thank you for your time and work! :tu

His release has been inconsistent from three lately and had a terrible air ball
Until he gets his stroke back, he should drive more, after all he's getting to the line. And I rather see Kawhi missing shots under the basket instead of him taking those stupid 3's.

Coach Pop (F) He lost the game when he subbed the entire SL in the first quarter. Period. I hate it when coaches do that and it puts your bench in a tough spot...especially when you have a returning player like Dedmond. Pop biggest flaw as a coach are his fucked up rotations and when to play certain players and he realllly fucked this one up.

To be fair, in the first quarter some of those rotations worked, it was in the 2nd half when most of them were really bad.

houston spurs fan
11-30-2016, 01:22 AM
You're my #1 Stan!
And the insecurity sets in....

spurs10
11-30-2016, 01:23 AM
A lot of blame to go around. Couldn't buy a break...or a basket. Putting the basic stats and minutes for the players was good to see. Not sure what people are expecting from the fans. It's never fun to spend several hundred dollars a game and watch them get their asses kicked. That being said I wasn't there tonight. Fwiw twice when I saw a lot of empty seats it was during breaks in the play. Doubt if it wasn't near capacity.

coachmac87
11-30-2016, 01:23 AM
Agree. It would be easier to write about a win than an ugly loss like this so I want to thank you for your time and work! :tu

Until he gets his stroke back, he should drive more, after all he's getting to the line. And I rather see Kawhi missing shots under the basket instead of him taking those stupid 3's.

To be fair, in the first quarter some of those rotations worked, it was in the 2nd half when most of them were really bad.

Regarding Pop...doing what he did in the first just wasn't needed and it set the wrong tone and mindset through the game. You set up players to fail when you pull shit like that..Pop wouldn't pull that shit in a playoff game..

coachmac87
11-30-2016, 01:24 AM
And the insecurity sets in....

Not at all man you just gave me a plug..appreciate it though..

AZK619
11-30-2016, 01:26 AM
Grades are reasonable, unlike the past one. On point. :tu

houston spurs fan
11-30-2016, 01:26 AM
Not at all man you just gave me a plug..appreciate it though..
You're welcome bitch. Still haven't read these grades bandwagon

Quadzilla99
11-30-2016, 01:27 AM
Fuck you tbh

Rofl

coachmac87
11-30-2016, 01:28 AM
You're welcome bitch. Still haven't read these grades bandwagon

:stirpot:

YGWHI
11-30-2016, 01:29 AM
When you play like the Washington Generals at home, people are going to treat you like the Washington Generals. Would you pay to see the Spurs not knowing what kind of silly rotations and nonsense hold outs Pop is going to employ that night? Pop and the Spurs are getting everything they deserve.

If the issue was just this season, I'd agree with you.

But in a 67 win-season people did the same. And Tim was still on the team...

dabom
11-30-2016, 01:37 AM

Right on. Or stfu. :lol

TheGreatYacht
Hoops you my nigga, but the crowd doesn't deserve to be defended tbh

If they still don't show up when the team goes 40-1..... there's not much else the players can do. Charles needs to bring Weight Watchers down to SA and maybe they'll start having energy again

YGWHI
Pop wouldn't pull that shit in a playoff game..

Sadly, he already did it.

In game 2 against OKC, he sat the starters blaming them for a slow start and the Thunder made a BIG run after that, they won the game in that quarter.

Pop priorized HIS WAY instead of recognizing that Patty and Manu couldn't play together against Russ and KD those many minutes.

And we know Pop. He will do it again.

He will never learn from that mistake because he thinks there wasn't any mistake.

dabom
11-30-2016, 01:38 AM
People that have never been to a Spurs home game. :lol

dabom
11-30-2016, 01:44 AM
I can tell which posters never been to the att center. :lol

spurraider21
11-30-2016, 02:03 AM
apa?

dabom
11-30-2016, 02:04 AM
apa?

yeah...

houston spurs fan
11-30-2016, 02:08 AM
CoachMac87 may have atttended a Rio Valley game but I don't count that. Yacht definitely has never attended a game as well as many of the posters under the age of 18 here....

tenbeersbold
11-30-2016, 02:13 AM
I think Pop pulling the SL was partly his protest against the officials not calling the handsy Magic defense,and wanting to avoid possible injury.

After that last Celtics game which was damn close to getting out of hand due to the crap officiating I don't blame him.
The refs/NBA know the blueprint to throw the Spurs off their game,just allow the opposing team to hack away cause the Spurs just don't play that way due to Pop's system.
You don't think there's some reckoning yet to come from the NBA for deflating their brand new star child Warriors on opening night on nationwide TV?!?

ElNono
11-30-2016, 02:14 AM
good stuff, coach... appreciate you took the time :tu

RD2191
11-30-2016, 02:16 AM
CoachMac87 may have atttended a Rio Valley game but I don't count that. Yacht definitely has never attended a game as well as many of the posters under the age of 18 here....

How long have you been in this thread that you don't care about? Fucking moron. :lol

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2016, 02:25 AM
How long have you been in this thread that you don't care about? Fucking moron. :lol

:lmao:lmao:lmao

DeRozan m8
11-30-2016, 02:27 AM
Houston bro, whats up mate?

So hostile, don't take the comments to heart, champ.

Robz4000
11-30-2016, 02:27 AM

:wow:lol

dabom
11-30-2016, 02:29 AM
Houston bro, whats up mate?

So hostile, don't take the comments to heart, champ.

You want me to whoop you back to ISH?..

DeRozan m8
11-30-2016, 02:35 AM
You want me to whoop you back to ISH?..

You're a hostile little one too.

Sit, boy

dabom
11-30-2016, 02:41 AM
You're a hostile little one too.

Sit, boy

I remember your Spurs friend from ISH made an account and started posting his rehashed ideas from ISH. Took a couple posts before he got debunked into shit. :lol

Just a random thought. Thought it was funny. :lol

DeRozan m8
11-30-2016, 02:48 AM
Whos my Spurs friend?

I don't have any 'friends' on forums hahah

dabom
11-30-2016, 02:49 AM
Some Duncan something name...

weeks
11-30-2016, 03:15 AM
This was one of the ugliest spurs game I've ever watched. This team seriously fails the eye test way too often. I don't care if it's November. Manu looks toast. He's giving it his all but he's got a fork in him for sure. Tony looks completely fucked. LMA and Pau both seem to be lacking the competitive fire that Duncan had in great measure.

You wonder why home attendance is anemic? Who wants to pay to watch these abortions.

Thanks for the grades.

Brazil
11-30-2016, 07:17 AM

:lmao my nigga

benefactor
11-30-2016, 07:32 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aktLRiWXfqg

Raven
11-30-2016, 08:15 AM
i don't have anything to complain, they just couldn't make a bucket no matter how easy it was, some days you just have bad days..

NameLess Scrub
11-30-2016, 08:28 AM
This thread escalated quickly :lol
Thanks for the effort OP.

Couldn't even watch the game well due to arriving late at home plus stupid, buggy, glitchy NBA apps this year plus falling asleep.

They were dominated by the now-too-much-time-in-rebuilding Magic, who seemed to make friggin anything they shot.

I would have given all an F.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-30-2016, 08:36 AM
Not a good sign for the future of the franchise if home turnouts are this bad even if we're winning.

And is it me or has Pop been especially horrible with his rotations this season thus far?

GSH
11-30-2016, 08:41 AM
Pretty accurate set of grades, IMO. Of course, that game was a lot like a student who puts his name on the test, and hands it in blank - not that hard to grade. :lol

I remember those first couple of Championship runs in San Antonio. People in San Antonio were freakin' nuts. Everyone had those flags hanging out the windows of their cars (damned things are really noisy). People wearing Spurs jerseys randomly talking to strangers who were also wearing Spurs jerseys. The whole town was electric, and the games were a zoo. Everyone was hungry for basketball and Championships.

There were years-long stretches where I didn't think the Spurs' players looked hungry, and that pretty much matched the attitude of the spoiled fans. I mentioned this in a thread last night - I don't see this group of players looking like "only one thing matters" when they are on the floor. I don't hear it coming from most of them in interviews. Not saying that is the cause of the fans' apathy, but the two things run hand in hand. Too much success over time, and not hungry.

I'm sure it's harder to fill higher-priced seats than it used to be. But the whole city isn't Spurs-crazy like it was. If you don't think it's just plain apathy, I'd love to hear your theory.

NameLess Scrub
11-30-2016, 08:48 AM
I think Pop pulling the SL was partly his protest against the officials not calling the handsy Magic defense,and wanting to avoid possible injury.

After that last Celtics game which was damn close to getting out of hand due to the crap officiating I don't blame him.
The refs/NBA know the blueprint to throw the Spurs off their game,just allow the opposing team to hack away cause the Spurs just don't play that way due to Pop's system.
You don't think there's some reckoning yet to come from the NBA for deflating their brand new star child Warriors on opening night on nationwide TV?!?

I do dislike ref-allowed hacking.

GSH
11-30-2016, 08:52 AM

Some of us here can tell which posters never saw the Spurs play in HemisFair Arena. Just saying.

If you ever want to know whose bathtub the petition signatures for building the AlamoDome were kept in, ask really nice and I might tell you. Fucking snail-darters calling other people bandwagoners. :rolleyes

r0drig0lac
11-30-2016, 09:03 AM
SAS offense will always seem incredible against small frontcourts (warriors, celtics, etc.) and fight against athletic frontcourts (clippers, new magic, old thunder, etc.)

kaji157
11-30-2016, 09:10 AM
I think if Kawhi grade is a B- and Manuīs grade is a B, then you maybe overestimate what Manu can still do, or have really low expectations about Kawhi.

Personally i think this was one of the weakest Kawhi games, didnīt impact the game defensively didnīt create for others, and on a very bad shooting night for the team, he managed to shot even worse than the team average. And also didnīt seem to try to impact the games in other areas, little effort on the glass (2 rebounds?? Come on..) and no assistīs in over 30 possessions. That cannot be more than a C if you are treating him like superstar talent.

TheDoctor
11-30-2016, 09:11 AM
This was one of the ugliest spurs game I've ever watched. This team seriously fails the eye test way too often. I don't care if it's November. Manu looks toast. He's giving it his all but he's got a fork in him for sure. Tony looks completely fucked. LMA and Pau both seem to be lacking the competitive fire that Duncan had in great measure.

You wonder why home attendance is anemic? Who wants to pay to watch these abortions.

Thanks for the grades.

Man, last year we finished w/ a league best home record. Yet, San Fatonians didn't go to the arena.

dabom
11-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Some of us here can tell which posters never saw the Spurs play in HemisFair Arena. Just saying.

If you ever want to know whose bathtub the petition signatures for building the AlamoDome were kept in, ask really nice and I might tell you. Fucking snail-darters calling other people bandwagoners. :rolleyes

I never called anyone a bandwagoner you stupid fuck. Learn English you stupid bitch. :lmao

Keepin' it real
11-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Spurs Fans (F)

:tu thanks for the thoughts..

The last point has been a trend, unfortunately..the crowds have been horrible, so far..

It's November. This is Texas. Football country. Everyone is gaga for the Cowboys. Basketball isn't on most people's radar in Texas yet.

superbigtime
11-30-2016, 10:35 AM
Thanks for grades. What an awful game. Kawhi should be C or C-. Was pretty crappy. Maybe he is gassed. Losing these home games is troubling.

$pursDynasty
11-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the write up, personally I wouldn't give anyone besides Dedmon anything above a D+, entire team crapped the bed big time, but like LeBron said while trying to explain the Cavs loss, and deflecting to the Spurs losing last night as well, wad it up and throw it away games like this happen sometimes.

Spurs9
11-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Glad I haven't gone to any games this year tbh

bklynspursfan
11-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the write up, personally I wouldn't give anyone besides Dedmon anything above a D+, entire team crapped the bed big time, but like LeBron said while trying to explain the Cavs loss, and deflecting to the Spurs losing last night as well, wad it up and throw it away games like this happen sometimes.

Same. They were all pretty terrible.

AaronY
11-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Parker was beyond an F. looked like Beno Udrih vs Lindsay Hunter trying to dribble against that Payton kid at times..or maybe me trying to dribble against 2005 Lindsay Hunter..

tbdog
11-30-2016, 12:52 PM
You know, seeing pop go up to LMA at the end, tap him on the body, and say something like 'it was not our night,' was really good. I think we as fans get stuck with the, 'must win all games,' type of approach. It just didn't work for us. Leonard airball, Magic hitting some big shots. Okay, it happens. We are 2nd in the west. Pack up, move on. Next game Mavs.

cutewizard
11-30-2016, 01:04 PM
The Bucks with a massive beatdown on the Cavs, hahahaha

I like Giannis!!!!

AFMadison
11-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Dewayne Dedmond lol

AFMadison
11-30-2016, 01:33 PM
You know, seeing pop go up to LMA at the end, tap him on the body, and say something like 'it was not our night,' was really good. I think we as fans get stuck with the, 'must win all games,' type of approach. It just didn't work for us. Leonard airball, Magic hitting some big shots. Okay, it happens. We are 2nd in the west. Pack up, move on. Next game Mavs.

spurs10
11-30-2016, 02:01 PM
This! Go Spurs!

SAGirl
11-30-2016, 02:11 PM
Magic were a lot more aggressive and determined.

Dare I say, the team is maybe not mentally tough? It escalated bc they were unable to make a shot in the 4th and everyone threw airballs (Kawhi, Danny, Simmons ...), that allowed the Magic to pack the paint. But at that point, they were attempting a come back from behind and probably all were unsettled (things like that affect your shot). Again, the shooting slump in the 4th prevented a comeback but they were already losing the game a lot earlier.

There wasn't anyone who had a good game to me. They would all have been F or at least no one higher than a C... at best guys were average and some were just plain terrible. I only really liked Dedmon. He looked great in his come back from injury.

SAGirl
11-30-2016, 02:17 PM
SAS offense will always seem incredible against small frontcourts (warriors, celtics, etc.) and fight against athletic frontcourts (clippers, new magic, old thunder, etc.)
Good point. A sign of an unbalanced team. The magic had a lot of athletes and strong frontcourts. SA couldn't dominate them and instead went with a perimeter lineup. It didn't work.

By the way Simmons can't shoot.

SAGirl
11-30-2016, 02:18 PM
I think if Kawhi grade is a B- and Manuīs grade is a B, then you maybe overestimate what Manu can still do, or have really low expectations about Kawhi.

Personally i think this was one of the weakest Kawhi games, didnīt impact the game defensively didnīt create for others, and on a very bad shooting night for the team, he managed to shot even worse than the team average. And also didnīt seem to try to impact the games in other areas, little effort on the glass (2 rebounds?? Come on..) and no assistīs in over 30 possessions. That cannot be more than a C if you are treating him like superstar talent.
Agreed. Even a C is generous.. bc you would have to say that is at least average for him and I don't think that should be an average game for him.

J_Paco
11-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the writeup!

Some players get coddled more than others. When the best player on the team has a below average shooting night and has as many turnover as total rebounds but, still gets a B-, it makes you think.

Most of these grades are a joke. Manu, Dwayne and maybe Patty (although his defense was bad) shoud be graded above a C.

Everyone else was D or worse.

J_Paco
11-30-2016, 02:31 PM
Parker was beyond an F. looked like Beno Udrih vs Lindsay Hunter trying to dribble against that Payton kid at times..or maybe me trying to dribble against 2005 Lindsay Hunter..

Didn't he strip Patty and Johnathan clean too?!?!?!

Payton definitely made whoever dribbled the ball around him look bad.

NameLess Scrub
11-30-2016, 02:32 PM

Friggin super teams, specially the Warriors add stress to the season for the Spurs. They seem to drop very few games like this, and as much as we talk about the deficiencies of this team, I think most of us really want another title.

Joseph Kony
11-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Really one of the more pathetic outings I've seen from the Spurs ever. Duncan's leadership is really missed :depressed

Joseph Kony
11-30-2016, 02:39 PM
also not sure about some of those grades coach. Leonard did not deserve a b, his rebounding was atrocious and no assists is pretty sad, not to mention his Kobe esque shooting. Manu/Dedmon/LMA with a b imo, everyone else fucking sucked a fat one

TrainOfThought5
11-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Easily the most entertaining game thread of the year, tbh.

wildbill2u
11-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Been to two games so far this season. Problem is all these companies buy out all the lower level seats and they end up doing nothing with the tickets.

I totally agree with this. The Spurs have raised their prices to the point where all the good seats almost have to be bought by companies instead of just fans. The Spurs don't make near the effot to get inidvidual fans anymore. I understand the need for income to pay these expensive players, but it does reduce the number of butts in the seats unless the companies who now own those seats really make an effort to distribute them to employees who might like to go to the games.