PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades (12/02): Spurs vs Wizards (Game 20 of 82)

From Downtown
12-03-2016, 06:02 AM
Sorry for the wait

Nico Laprovittola: C+
20 min - 7 pts - 3 ast - 1 reb - 2/5 FG - 2 stl - 1/3 3PT - 2/2 FT - 2 TO - -10 +/

He wasn't as bad as people say, but he struggled to get the offense moving and had a couple of plays in traffic I didn't like.
On the other hand he made it clear he's not scared and he can attack the basket looking to score but also to find open teammmates on the perimeter, but that isn't enough; his 3-ball need to start falling more consistently.
Clearly he hasn't got the talent or the size and athleticism to be a starter in this league, maybe not even a backup, after all he wasn't a top tier point guard in Europe (like other rookies such as Rodriguez and Satoransky were), so he's not going to make a difference here, but he's steady, competent and talented enough to be the 3rd PG on a contender and make a living out of it

Patty Mills: A-
27 min - 10 pts - 8 ast - 4 reb - 4/9 FG - 2/4 3PT - 1 TO - 11 +/-

Patty had a very complete game, he run the offense well, had some big buckets down the stretch and hustled both on the boards and for loose balls.
Sure, his defense was underwhelming, but there's not much he can do against Wall or Beal, and he tried to made up for it by taking charges and fighting through screens, getting the illegal ones called.
Overall I think the bench was the difference in this game, and he's a big part of it, so he deserves this grade

Danny Green: D
24 min - 3 pts - 1 ast - 0 reb - 1/4 FG - 3 TO - -12 +/-

This was a F with 30 seconds left on the clock, then he sank a crucial 3-pointer, the only one of his game.
Still he was awful: on offense he turned the ball over a lot, tried to handle the ball and run the pick n roll/pop a few times with awful results, struggled to free himself up on the perimeter and missed the shot he got, which weren't the most difficult ones.
He also only stepped up his defense after being screamed at by Pop during a timeout in the 4th, while for the other 3 quarters he seemed to lack concentration and fire even on the side of the court where he's usually really successful.

Manu Ginobili: A
24 min - 13 pts - 7ast - 1 reb - 4/6 FG - 3 stl - 1/3 3PT - 4/4 FT - 2 TO - 16 +/-

His best game of the season so far, he did everything the team needed out there
Plus/Minus might lie sometimes, but this isn't the case, Manu scored efficiently and in different ways, from 2, from 3, attacking the basket and beating the buzzer twice as well
He also was good at running the offense with Patty and worked perfectly as the ballhandler on the pick n roll, just like the Manu we know and love
On defense he fought hard and was good at covering passing lanes to get some steals
Maybe he could have done better on the last 2 Wizards possessions though

Kawhi Leonard: B
34 min - 23 pts - 2 ast - 5 reb - 9/18 FG - 2 STL - 2/4 3PT - 3/3 FT - 1 TO - -5 +/-

He was aggressive at the start and at the end of the game, with a varied but mostly positive outcome, and made the game-winning shot with 6 seconds left on the clock.
His defense was good overall, although it's hard when Danny plays like he did and the rim protection is completely missing, I would've like to see him on Wall a little bit more, especially in the 4th, but we know Pop keeps these things for the playoffs
He's still learning and you can see it, he needs to understand better how to play off and with his teammates in th 4th despite being the designed and recognized go-to-guy, you can't always do it all by yourself, and I mean this in a positive way, I know he's not Kobe he just takes a lot of responsabilities.

Johnatan Simmons: B+
13 min - 5 pts - 1 ast - 1 blk - 2 stl - 5/6 FT - 1 TO - 6 +/-

Simms brought the juice and was much better than the boxscore would suggest
His energy and athleticism are a great asset to this team, and if he could find a bit of steadiness in his performances we could use him come playoff time and he could be our x factor
He's slowly becoming and above average defender, the spectacular blocks, the steals and charges are just part of the deal, he can costantly stay in front of his man now
And he didn't turn the ball over in traffic apart from one play, that's why the "+"

LaMarcus Aldridge: C
36 min - 19 pts - 1 ast - 5 reb - 8/14 FG - 1 blk - 3/6 FT - 2 TO - -11 +/-

Ok, he scored efficiently and had some huge baskets, but he didn't do much else, and if he did he did it badly
The rebounds he got were mostly uncontested, the rim protection was non-existant, he struggled on both Morris and Smith while on offense he didn't even try to pound them on the inside, despite being bigger and stronger
He looks extremely passive at times, and that's not good for the team
I've got to say though those two rebounds he got in the final minute were really big for us

David Lee: B+
17 min - 8 pts - 2 ast - 7 reb - 3/6 FG - 2/4 FT - 1 TO - 8 +/-

He's been a pleasant surprise this season, and the production he's had in this game is quite similar to what he's given us in the previous ones
He was alright, not brilliant, on defense, worked his ass off on the glass, had some big plays down the stretch with two and-1s when we first got the lead and a put-back slam with 1 minute left on the clock, was a great partner on the pick n roll for both Manu and Patty and showed great awareness with some fantastic passes

Pau Gasol: C
33 min - 19 pts - 2 ast - 10 reb - 8/16 FG - 2 blk - 1 stl - 1/2 3PT - 2/8 FT - 1 TO - -10 +/-

I'm not sure about his performance, he had a terrible start but I liked the fact he kept his head into the game, ending up with a double double
He was better than LMA on the boards and it seems to me he's a better fit than him on offense, but he struggles enormously on defense and this is a matter that HAS to be addressed at some point, Gortat feisted on him and he's probably not even a top 15 C in the league, although he's not bad either
His free throw shooting was also a problem this game and could have cost us the win, but still I feel like the effort and smart plays on O were there

Dewayne Dedmon: B
7 min - 0 pts - 0 ast - 4 reb - 0/2 FG - 12 +/-

He didn't play much yet he had a good impact
He's our best defender and it showed, rebounded well getting 4 boards in just 7 minutes and set good screens
I guess I'm not the only one thinking he should be playing more, even as a starter, but the combo with Lee has worked pretty well so far so I understand Pop leaving it as it is

Robz4000
12-03-2016, 06:20 AM
Great write up, agree with every grade. However, on your Gortat comment: he's actually a Top 10 center in the league.

daledondale
12-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the grades.

MVPCues
12-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Good write up, good grades. The 2/8 FT's by Pau was definitely ugly. He was beaten a few times on the defensive end, mostly due to him being a touch slower. He had some fire though and was competing hard. His two blocks were meaningful, he made a 3, played 33 minutes, and scored 19. If he goes 6/8 from the line instead of 2/8, he leads in scoring along with Kawhi. I think he had a sneaky good game, but his slow start and 2/8 tainted the flavor.

cd98
12-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the grades. Only two real disagreements. I think Kawhi gets an A. Not only did he have a consistently good game, but he confidently hit the go ahead basket on a midrange jumper over his defender. Then, with six seconds left, they put him on Wall, the most dangerous Wizard, and Wall never touched the ball on the Wizards' most important possession.

Also, Gortat does get the praise, but he is a high level scorer and underrated on that team. He's always played well against Duncan. So that's not all on Gasol.

TheGreatYacht
12-03-2016, 08:46 AM
How does Deadman get a better grade than Gasol and Aldridge lol.

Gasol was a cancer in the first quarter, but was a beast the rest of the game. Aldridge was also good, deserving of at least a B grade at worst........ Deadman grabbed 4 rebounds and fouled a lot in his limited time.

LMA continues to get no respect around here. Didn't even show his points smh

wildbill2u
12-03-2016, 09:06 AM
Good grades overall. LMA and Gasol had better stat games that I expected. I don't know if we can play both of them at the same time against a better team because they aren't defensive tigers out there. THis means Dedmon would have to play more to assist either one of them on defense, but can we afford to lose their firepower and bbIQ for a raw defensive player who fouls a lot.?

elemento
12-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the grades FT

I really don't know why Pop doesn't start Dedmon. The Spurs playing like shit in the 1st quarter has been a constant thing this season. Defense gets better, overall rebounding gets better. Pau can still log 25+ minutes and I'm positive he can play with Lee too.

As for Laprovitolla, he is a classy dude but not NBA material, it's that simple.

kuato
12-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Lapro is better than you think, he is learning the game and learning what Pop wants

From Downtown
12-03-2016, 10:49 AM
How does Deadman get a better grade than Gasol and Aldridge lol.

Gasol was a cancer in the first quarter, but was a beast the rest of the game. Aldridge was also good, deserving of at least a B grade at worst........ Deadman grabbed 4 rebounds and fouled a lot in his limited time.

LMA continues to get no respect around here. Didn't even show his points smh

:lol gotta edit that

Anyway it's based off expectations, Dedmon didn't play much but I liked the impact he had on the team hence why the B
LMA and Gasol scored well and had some big plays, but there's a equal number of things they didn't do or didn't do well, C might be harsh on a win when they score so efficiently, but I feel like they can do much better and the team particularly suffers because of their lack of aggression sometimes

TheGreatYacht
12-03-2016, 11:08 AM
:lol gotta edit that

Anyway it's based off expectations, Dedmon didn't play much but I liked the impact he had on the team hence why the B
LMA and Gasol scored well and had some big plays, but there's a equal number of things they didn't do or didn't do well, C might be harsh on a win when they score so efficiently, but I feel like they can do much better and the team particularly suffers because of their lack of aggression sometimes
Rispetta l'alfa :lol

:lma

From Downtown
12-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Rispetta l'alfa :lol

:lma

Sure, I won't forget to add his points in the future :lol

Phenomanul
12-03-2016, 11:43 AM
I counted 5 steals for Ginobili... it's a shame the official box score only credited him with 3 (if that's where you got your statistics)...

Dex
12-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Great grades and writeup. Thanks OP!

spurs10
12-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Well done! Thanks for the grades. Stand outs of the game for me were the missed ft's, as it wouldn't have come down to the last 19 seconds heroics- although that was pretty fun to watch. I don't think Danny had a great game and I understand your criticism, but that shot made up for a lot in my book. I was ready to trade hime too before Big Shot Danny Green made an appearance. Those boards by LMA were huge too so I'd give those two 'extra credit.'

Great win and fun to watch!

spurs10
12-03-2016, 02:13 PM
I counted 5 steals for Ginobili... it's a shame the official box score only credited him with 3 (if that's where you got your statistics)... Manu sure made us glad he decided to stick around! That game is one I'll remember as one where Manu at 39 showed us what he's made up. Some great steals and clutch moments. That steal and 3 were absolutely badass!
:flag:

cjw
12-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the grades FT

I really don't know why Pop doesn't start Dedmon. The Spurs playing like shit in the 1st quarter has been a constant thing this season. Defense gets better, overall rebounding gets better. Pau can still log 25+ minutes and I'm positive he can play with Lee too.

As for Laprovitolla, he is a classy dude but not NBA material, it's that simple.

In Gasol's 495 minutes on the floor, he's played 322.5 with Aldridge and 172.5 without (65% / 35% split).

In the minutes on the floor together, Spurs are only +9 ... which amounts to 1.3 points per game. Getting outscored badly from the field but made up for through outscoring opponents at foul line (Kawhi).

Gasol has played only 11 minutes with Dedmon (+8) and 68.5 minutes with Lee (+20). Imagine the other 93 minutes were smallball lineups. Nonetheless, given he hasn't been an absolute disaster with Lee or Dedmon, why not see if it works?

Sub Gasol out after the first timeout so you don't hurt his ego by not starting with the understanding that he's going to sub back in with the second unit. Can then get some looks with him and both Lee and Dedmon to tinker with what works.

Pairing that jumped out most to me is Simmons-Dedmon at +55 in just 115 minutes, despite opponents having 9 additional possessions. Probably just noise in garbage time.

GSH
12-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Excellent set of grades, top to bottom. Good write-up for each.

Almost makes me wish I hadn't watched it. :lol

wildbill2u
12-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Went to basketball Reference website to check on something about Manu after his great effort. They don't have him on the Spurs team roster. I guess they figured early retirement?

elemento
12-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Went to basketball Reference website to check on something about Manu after his great effort. They don't have him on the Spurs team roster. I guess they figured early retirement?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01/gamelog/2017/

kaji157
12-03-2016, 04:47 PM
To say the truth while i agree on most of the grades i think LAīs grade is a bit tough considering he did exactly what we need minus a few rebounds and some defense. But if he does this everygame itīs ok.
About Lapprovitola, i think he did quite well considering is his 6 or 8th NBA game (Compare for example with Simmons, Anderson and other "rotation" players with more NBA experience), while the offense stuck at times, he played mostly off Kawhi, and that is difficult for any PG, also the starters in general had some rough stretches, not only him, as the +/- stat shows, all of the starters were a net negative.
I do agree that if his 3īs doesnīt start falling he cannot be a rotation player. But he has always been and over 37% shooter from 3 so that should come sooner than later.

Spur|n|Austin
12-04-2016, 06:08 AM
Thanks FDT! I disagree with Nico's grade but all cool

sasaint
12-04-2016, 03:16 PM
In Gasol's 495 minutes on the floor, he's played 322.5 with Aldridge and 172.5 without (65% / 35% split).

In the minutes on the floor together, Spurs are only +9 ... which amounts to 1.3 points per game. Getting outscored badly from the field but made up for through outscoring opponents at foul line (Kawhi).

Gasol has played only 11 minutes with Dedmon (+8) and 68.5 minutes with Lee (+20). Imagine the other 93 minutes were smallball lineups. Nonetheless, given he hasn't been an absolute disaster with Lee or Dedmon, why not see if it works?

Sub Gasol out after the first timeout so you don't hurt his ego by not starting with the understanding that he's going to sub back in with the second unit. Can then get some looks with him and both Lee and Dedmon to tinker with what works.

Pairing that jumped out most to me is Simmons-Dedmon at +55 in just 115 minutes, despite opponents having 9 additional possessions. Probably just noise in garbage time.

Guys who think it would be demeaning to come off the bench need to spend some time with Manu.

TimDunkem
12-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Everytime Green puts the ball on the floor something bad happens. Every. Fucking. Time.