PDA

View Full Version : Simmons in the Dunk Contest???

coachmac87
12-05-2016, 11:32 PM
I would really like him to be in it....he'd probably wouldn't win but I'd like to see what tricks he'd have up his sleeve

YGWHI
12-05-2016, 11:32 PM
When was the last time the Spurs have a player there?

coachmac87
12-05-2016, 11:34 PM

I don't think I can recall there ever being one tbh....at least in a Spurs uniform haha

SAGirl
12-05-2016, 11:35 PM
He has definite hops to make a few highlights.
It would be fun.

William Hung
12-05-2016, 11:39 PM
:pop:: 'Dunks will not be tolerated. Jonathon needs to learn his role on this team.'

SpurPadre
12-05-2016, 11:40 PM
He only looks like a candidate to us because he's the only Spurs player we've had who dunks on a regular basis in the Pop era. Stick him on another team, and he's just a run of the mill dunker, tbh.

SAGirl
12-05-2016, 11:46 PM
He only looks like a candidate to us because he's the only Spurs player we've had who dunks on a regular basis in the Pop era. Stick him on another team, and he's just a run of the mill dunker, tbh.
That is true...
He hasn't had real tricky stuff that we have seen.. but he can jump out of the gym... It would just be fun to see if he has tricks and stuff like that.

He is in the regular rotation at this point, and has highlights nightly, enough to get noticed. I don't know how they select guys for that though.

apalisoc_9
12-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Simmons is a leaper..He's not yhat great o f a jumper. He wont be able to put enough air to beat Gordon or Lavine.

Anyone who joins the dunk contest this year is either desperate for money or just want some exposure.

SAGirl
12-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Simmons is a leaper..He's not yhat great o f a jumper. He wont be able to put enough air to beat Gordon or Lavine.

Anyone who joins the dunk contest this year is either desperate for money or just want some exposure.
Both
exposure and money are great for a guy like him. He's making peanuts right now. It's unknown if Gordon or Lavine will do it again... They are actually considering not doing it.. (Lavine at least and Gordon is undecided...) Heck, even if he doesn't win, if he got an invite he should go for it.

coachmac87
12-05-2016, 11:54 PM

Nobody will beat Lavine...but it'd be nice to see what he can do without him thinking about Pop haha

coachmac87
12-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Both
exposure and money are great for a guy like him. He's making peanuts right now. It's unknown if Gordon or Lavine will do it again... They are actually considering not doing it.. (Lavine at least and Gordon is undecided...) Heck, even if he doesn't win, if he got an invite he should go for it.

I saw a video of Lavine doing a 360 from the free throw line this year....he will go for the three peat

SAGirl
12-06-2016, 12:02 AM
I saw a video of Lavine doing a 360 from the free throw line this year....he will go for the three peat
lol
I saw a news report from him over the summer stating he was moving past that... but hey... If he still has new stuff to show... I love a good show as much as anyone.

As I said, I agreed Jsimms likely would not win it, but all of exposure, money, etc will be good for him. He's putting highlight dunks nightly.

I thought of the sophomore game, but in reality his scoring is extremely inconsistent and he has too many low scoring games to get noticed for the rook/sophomore game.

SpurPadre
12-06-2016, 12:05 AM
That is true...
He hasn't had real tricky stuff that we have seen.. but he can jump out of the gym... It would just be fun to see if he has tricks and stuff like that.

He is in the regular rotation at this point, and has highlights nightly, enough to get noticed. I don't know how they select guys for that though.

I mean, we did have Derek Anderson in '00-01 season and he had some athleticism and dunked on occasion but nothing special so I'll give Simmons credit that he's more explosive than he was at that time.

GSH
12-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Nobody will beat Lavine...but it'd be nice to see what he can do without him thinking about Pop haha

Simmons would do his first dunk, then take the ball away from Lavine and do his second.

cjw
12-06-2016, 05:32 AM
Simmons 67-12 (0.106 WS/48 and 0.4 VORP)
Gordon 55-91 (0.105 WS/48 and 1.6 VORP in more than 2x as many games)
LaVine 49-129 (0.033 WS/48 and -0.5 VORP)

Yes, Simmons is a lot older and surrounded by far better talent, but Gordon and LaVine have a long way to go before coming relevant in the league. They're just posturing. They'll maybe take a year off and be back as they need the publicity as much as Simmons.

Simmons' summer league MVP is more than either of these guys have accomplished and that's not saying much. They'd smoke him in the dunk contest but jury is still out on both.

r0drig0lac
12-06-2016, 05:52 AM
:pop:: 'Dunks will not be tolerated. Jonathon needs to learn his role on this team.'

r0drig0lac
12-06-2016, 05:55 AM

Yes, Simmons is a lot older and surrounded by far better talent, but Gordon and LaVine have a long way to go before coming relevant in the league. They're just posturing. They'll maybe take a year off and be back as they need the publicity as much as Simmons.

Simmons' summer league MVP is more than either of these guys have accomplished and that's not saying much. They'd smoke him in the dunk contest but jury is still out on both.
sdc champion >> summer league mvp

james evans
12-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Cadillac Anderson in 88 and Edgar Jones in 84

benefactor
12-06-2016, 07:14 AM
I get the feel that Simmons is the kind of guy who is a better in game dunker than a contest one.

-21-
12-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Screw Jonathon. I'd like to see Kyle in the dunk contest.

DJR210
12-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Don't you have to be among leaders in total dunks for consideration?

SPURt
12-06-2016, 10:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jjgr0I3ARM

SPURt
12-06-2016, 10:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Q0AIoIFdo

SpursforSix
12-06-2016, 10:34 AM
Wu0Xfa-dTXU

cjw
12-06-2016, 10:51 AM
sdc champion >> summer league mvp

One of these two actually involves playing basketball well over several games with nobody drafted above 30th on your roster. Yes, people remember SDC champs but if you're not otherwise good at basketball it doesn't get you paid.

And agree with others Simmons is a better in game dunker. Fearless of dunking in traffic.

UZER
12-06-2016, 11:37 AM
He's an in game dunker, not dunk contest dunker.

Spur|n|Austin
12-06-2016, 11:45 AM

:lol oh ya? Did he not do too well in his last dunk contest?

coachmac87
12-06-2016, 12:15 PM

This is coming from a guy who's never seen him in a dunk contest...

We get it he won't win but if you read the OP maybe you'd understand that

playbonner15
12-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Put Simmons in. It'll do good for his confidence even if he gets eliminated immediately

offset formation
12-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Both

Why even respond?

SAGirl
12-06-2016, 01:45 PM

He wasn't really the summer league MVP, you know that was Anderson.
He was the MVP of the championship game...not that it matters for dunking you know.

GSH
12-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Like I said earlier - last year he would have kept dunking. They would have had to call security to get him to give up the ball.

This year they would have to combine the dunk contest, and the 3P contest. Because Simmons would take it almost to the rim, and then kick it out to a 3P shooter.

DMC
12-06-2016, 04:41 PM
People still watch the dunk contest? I wait for the reaction and watch clips of the best ones, nothing else.

Emperor
12-06-2016, 06:14 PM
There was a rumor floating around sometime in the early 90's that Sean Elliott was gonna participate but backed out when the NBA informed him he would not be able to attempt his dunk with his pet snake wrapped around him.

BatManu20
12-06-2016, 06:21 PM
I get the feeling that Simmons is the kind of guy who is a better in game dunker than a contest one.

YGWHI
12-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Not that much tonight in Minny. It seemed like Pop told them something about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Q0AIoIFdo

Wu0Xfa-dTXU

Nice!! Thanks for posting these videos! :toast

coachmac87
12-06-2016, 11:41 PM
People still watch the dunk contest? I wait for the reaction and watch clips of the best ones, nothing else.

Last years was arguably one of the best ever

Dancelot
12-06-2016, 11:47 PM
If he could've nailed a couple of the ones that rimmed out this season I think he be a shoo in. I really hope he gets an invite though, it would give me a reason to watch it this year.

UZER
12-06-2016, 11:49 PM
There was a rumor floating around sometime in the early 90's that Sean Elliott was gonna participate but backed out when the NBA informed him he would not be able to attempt his dunk with his pet snake wrapped around him.

I remember this story. It's when he owned Elliott's Nest in San Antonio. The NBA said no because props weren't allowed even though chairs had been used in the mid eighties. And now? :lol

NameOfTheGame
12-07-2016, 03:53 AM
Simmons is much better of an in-game dunker than a "contest dunker"...he probably wouldn't make it out of the first round.

james evans
12-07-2016, 10:12 AM
You obviously missed last season's contest. Gordon gave the best performance ever in the history of the dunk contest and LOST because Shaq and Tmac(judges) still hold a grudge against Orlando)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vO9EW8eWg

ace3g
01-20-2017, 12:01 AM
Jabari Young Verified account ‏@JabariJYoung (https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung)

Meanwhile, source tells me #NBA (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/NBALogo_Emoji/NBALogo_Emoji.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash) plans to invite Jonathon Simmons to participate in the Slam Dunk contest #Spurs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Spurs?src=hash)

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 12:07 AM
Jabari Young Verified account ‏@JabariJYoung (https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung)

Meanwhile, source tells me #NBA (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash)https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/NBALogo_Emoji/NBALogo_Emoji.png (https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash) plans to invite Jonathon Simmons to participate in the Slam Dunk contest #Spurs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Spurs?src=hash)

He's going to embarass himself. I hope he doesnt ask Kawhi for help. What can a leaper like him actually do? FT line dunk?

He's the closest fans are going to see of Lebron James in the dunk contest.

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2017, 12:10 AM
Would be pretty funny seeing a Spurs player in the dunk contest, tbh:lol

Should be a no-brainer for Simmons..more recognition in a contract year..

Splits
01-20-2017, 12:15 AM
He could re-attach his Jason Terry wings Pop clipped from him after like, 2 summer league games.

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 12:16 AM

Who will be Simmons entourage?

Kawhi and Lamarcus :lmao

Splits
01-20-2017, 12:17 AM

Yeah, and he'll jump over a Smart car

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2017, 12:18 AM
A dunk over Fathead would cause Kenny to say "SHUT IT DOWN LETS GO HOME"

HarlemHeat37
01-20-2017, 12:19 AM

He could bring Kyle and use that giant head as a prop, tbh:lol

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 12:20 AM

Definitely.
He should go for it.

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 12:21 AM
:lol
:toast
This was hilarious.
Actually, Aaron Gordon did use the team's mascot as a prop... :lol

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 12:21 AM
He could re-attach his Jason Terry wings Pop clipped from him after like, 2 summer league games.
ooooooooooo
I had forgotten that jet move... it was indeed canned by Pop... lol

BatManu20
01-20-2017, 01:13 AM
Kind of hope he declines, tbh. Don't think he's a Dunk Contest dunker. Might embarrass himself tbh. But who knows.

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 01:16 AM
Kind of hope he declines, tbh. Don't think he's a Dunk Contest dunker. Might embarrass himself tbh. But who knows.

he should just focus on finishing his dunks.

Even if it's just between the legs, or over the board windmill. He's going to lose anyway. no point in getting embarrassed and trying to do something he can't...

SpurPadre
01-20-2017, 01:16 AM

Have you seen him during practices? What makes you come to that conclusion?

SpurPadre
01-20-2017, 01:18 AM

But we don't need another player to break his hand, tbh.

james evans
01-20-2017, 01:33 AM
if he could somehow win the dunk contest(not likely) and Leonard wins the 3 point contest, that would be great

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2017, 01:38 AM
He's going to fed as an appetizer for the inevitable Gordon vs Lavine rematch smh

http://cdn.concreteplayground.com/content/uploads/2015/11/Jurassic-World.jpg

Dex
01-20-2017, 02:04 AM
Simmons should definitely participate. Just a few years ago, he was fighting for a place in the league. Now he has a chance to share the court with some of its biggest names.

dabom
01-20-2017, 02:10 AM
I know allstar players make money off the allstar game. Do they make money off the dunk contest just for participating? Depending on his small salary, he might do it.

DMC
01-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Simmons can jump but let's be honest, there's more to the dunk contest than jumping. Wait, no there isn't. I don't watch it. They still have a dunk contest?

Ditty
01-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Express news is reporting that Simmons will be invited to the dunk competition next month.

Chinook
01-20-2017, 01:09 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had Kyle throw lobs to him. Say what you want, Anderson can through a great 'oop. His ability to hit guys in stride from half-court is crazy.

Spur|n|Austin
01-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Express news is reporting that Simmons will be invited to the dunk competition next month.

Awesome!

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had Kyle throw lobs to him. Say what you want, Anderson can through a great 'oop. His ability to hit guys in stride from half-court is crazy.
Too much hate for Kyle here to even bother, but I commend you.

Dudes should start to be afraid of him since he's blamed for breaking bones ... lol (more likely than not Pau twisted or used his hand in some unnatural fashion).

Anyways, back to the subject: I suspect Simm must have things in his repertoire... just bc he doesn't show off bc he's in the Spurs doesn't mean he doesn't have them.

He needs the money, the recognition, etc. Very few new guys get invited to things like that and those who participate become part of the history of the dunk contest in the NBA, etc. It can only help him get recognition.

gambit1990
01-20-2017, 01:23 PM
cool.

Kawhitstorm
01-20-2017, 01:34 PM

I'm pretty sure Murray is going to be the creative director throwing out all the crazy ideas.:lol (LaVine/Ross/Robinson are all from the Washington area so he knows a thing or two about dunk contests)

Kawhitstorm
01-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Too much hate for Kyle here to even bother, but I commend you.

Dudes should start to be afraid of him since he's blamed for breaking bones ... lol (more likely than not Pau twisted or used his hand in some unnatural fashion).

I commend Kyle for taking out Pau, I would have paid him to do it.:toast

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 02:57 PM
I commend Kyle for taking out Pau, I would have paid him to do it.:toast

Chinook
01-20-2017, 02:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Murray is going to be the creative director throwing out all the crazy ideas.:lol (LaVine/Ross/Robinson are all from the Washington area so he knows a thing or two about dunk contests)

Like Murray's going to running for a layup and Simmons is going to run from behind, block the shot, catch the ball and dunk it before landing?

spurraider21
01-20-2017, 03:05 PM

Simmons can jump but let's be honest, there's more to the dunk contest than jumping. Wait, no there isn't. I don't watch it. They still have a dunk contest?
Omg bro you're so cool!

Kawhitstorm
01-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Like Murray's going to running for a layup and Simmons is going to run from behind, block the shot, catch the ball and dunk it before landing?

I wouldn't rule out that kind of gimmickry but Pop is going to throw them in the doghouse for the rest of the season.:lol

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Actually not a bad idea... his chase down blocks a la Lebron have been highlighted.... maybe Simms TO and then chases down Murray.. :lol

SpursforSix
01-20-2017, 03:12 PM

Last year's was awesome. Sure there are some duds but I'll always record it and spend 30 minutes or so watching all the dunks.

SpursforSix
01-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Actually not a bad idea... his chase down blocks a la Lebron have been highlighted.... maybe Simms TO and then chases down Murray.. :lol

More realistic. Tony is at the other end of the court and dribbles for 24 seconds. Anderson takes the ball on the side and throws an alleyoop to Simmons while Tony complains at the other end.

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Omg bro you're so cool!

:lmao

DMC
01-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Omg bro you're so cool!

Philo is like a scorned fat chick, stalking the HS star QB around campus trying to protest through passive aggressive eye rolls.

spurraider21
01-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Philo is like a scorned fat chick, stalking the HS star QB around campus trying to protest through passive aggressive eye rolls.
And you have an inflated feeling of self worth that doesn't match the reality you face in your life, which is why you spend time on this forum pretending to be intellectually superior to everybody you come across.

"Look, I'm way too smart and sophisticated to discuss the dunk contest"

You could have just abstained from the thread if you didn't care. But no, you had to let us know two separate times that it's beneath you.

DMC
01-20-2017, 03:38 PM
And you have an inflated feeling of self worth that doesn't match the reality you face in your life, which is why you spend time on this forum pretending to be intellectually superior to everybody you come across.

You could have just abstained from the thread if you didn't care. But no, you had to let us know two separate times that it's beneath you.

:lol triggered Pinoy alert!

spurraider21
01-20-2017, 03:42 PM
You play the pinoy card more than sharpton plays the race card

dabom
01-20-2017, 03:46 PM
:lol triggered Pinoy alert!

Cali faggot. :lol

GSH
01-20-2017, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't rule out that kind of gimmickry but Pop is going to throw them in the doghouse for the rest of the season.:lol

Gimmickry? Gimmickry would be if he borrowed Sean's snake, since they're allowed to use props now. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea.

Whatever - I hope he comes up with a dunk good enough to get nicknamed the "Juice".

apalisoc_9
01-20-2017, 04:02 PM

Philo murdering the fat hand hipster. :lol

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 04:05 PM
More realistic. Tony is at the other end of the court and dribbles for 24 seconds. Anderson takes the ball on the side and throws an alleyoop to Simmons while Tony complains at the other end.
Hilarious... for the Spurs fan Simmons in this contest is a treat. I hope he goes all out and doesn't mind Pop...

SpursforSix
01-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Hilarious... for the Spurs fan Simmons in this contest is a treat. I hope he goes all out and doesn't mind Pop...

I hope Pop isn't there watching. I'd hate for Simmons to get benched for dunking "too black".

SpursforSix
01-20-2017, 04:09 PM
:pop: No posing. No pointing. No jiggady boo dancing.

SpursforSix
01-20-2017, 04:09 PM
I'd like to see Pop as one of the judges in a dunk contest tbh.

SAGirl
01-20-2017, 04:15 PM
:pop: No posing. No pointing. No jiggady boo dancing.
Frankly the way Pop demands that players sacrifice individually for the greater good of the team game (hence Simmons removing his JET move after every dunk...) a contest like this should be encouraged. It's truly a place to show off individually and boosts the Spurs watchability ratings for the casual fan of other teams... and the Spurs are after all a business. I have no idea if he's going to be reupped or not but Pop shouldn't stifle this kind of creativity. It's for players to have fun with.

SpursforSix
01-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Frankly the way Pop demands that players sacrifice individually for the greater good of the team game (hence Simmons removing his JET move after every dunk...) a contest like this should be encouraged. It's truly a place to show off individually and boosts the Spurs watchability ratings for the casual fan of other teams... and the Spurs are after all a business. I have no idea if he's going to be reupped or not but Pop shouldn't stifle this kind of creativity. It's for players to have fun with.

I don't think it's even the sacrifice. He's just way oldschool and doesn't want to see any showboating at all. Even if it's innocuous and just some kid having fun. That being said, I'm sure Pop understands the dunk contest for what it is. And Simmons is free to do whatever he wants short of crotch grabbing and shooting the finger.

TheDoctor
01-20-2017, 04:38 PM

Besides the masterful ability of carrying an unprecedented amount of weight over human being shoulders, we need to give it to him in that regard.

DMC
01-20-2017, 04:44 PM

Philo murdering the fat hand hipster. :lol

:lol hipster.. me.. :lol

DMC
01-20-2017, 04:46 PM
I'd like to see Pop as one of the judges in a dunk contest tbh.

:pop: "What the hell was that? There was no one around him, he could have just laid the ball up and not tried to embarrass the other team. Clearly hasn't gotten over himself. I don't even need a score card.. "

BatManu20
01-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Who the hell is Sportando.

Robz4000
01-20-2017, 06:16 PM

I'll only believe it if I hear from tspence.

TheDoctor
01-20-2017, 06:22 PM

Gotta be some dude from Manu's country tbh. Plus Mexico is just below Texas, so, news fly fast.

FkLA
01-20-2017, 08:52 PM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Robin-Lopez-Suns-Bench-Shock-Reaction.gif

FkLA
01-20-2017, 08:54 PM
I have a feeling Simmons will perform kind of like how Shannon Brown did when they invited him that one year, tbh.

GSH
01-20-2017, 08:57 PM
I have a feeling Simmons will perform kind of like how Shannon Brown did when they invited him that one year, tbh.

Okay, I don't want to look it up, and I have absolutely no memory of that. Or is that the point?

FkLA
01-20-2017, 09:02 PM
Okay, I don't want to look it up, and I have absolutely no memory of that. Or is that the point?

Brown did some pretty insane in-game dunks. Could glide through the air and had an unreal vertical leap (very similar to Simmons imo), so some Lakerfan started a website called letshannonbrowndunk.com...the NBA invited him and he proceeded to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_klgkfYPE70

Dude really wasn't made for a dunk contest and I don't think Simmons is either, tbh.

dabom
01-20-2017, 09:05 PM
Simmons got the fan hype though. Not gonna lie. :lol

UZER
01-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Brown did some pretty insane in-game dunks. Could glide through the air and had an unreal vertical leap (very similar to Simmons imo), so some Lakerfan started a website called letshannonbrowndunk.com...the NBA invited him and he proceeded to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_klgkfYPE70

Dude really wasn't made for a dunk contest and I don't think Simmons is either, tbh.

I've said the same thing in this thread. Simmons is an nasty in-game dunker, not a dunk contest dunker. But all it takes one good dunk to put his name on the map.

GSH
01-20-2017, 09:22 PM

Oh, man, that's embarrassing. He launched from all of 10 feet out on the one that finally worked. I hope Simmons represents himself better than that. I don't think he's the kind to win a dunk contest, either.

coachmac87
01-20-2017, 09:30 PM
This whole in game dunker statement is nonsense...clearly don't know what the fuck they're talking about

cutewizard
01-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Why not??/