PDA

View Full Version : Celtics: The legend, 2nd greatest SF ever dropping pearls....

Killakobe81
12-06-2016, 12:36 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18197737/larry-bird-reveals-secrets-13-year-career

Some great stuff

: One game. My thoughts were always that that night was the most important game in the world. Everybody in the world was watching that one game. And I had to be the best player on the court and win that game that night. That was my mentality and it stuck with me all the way through my career. But, knowing that, I knew that I was going to pay for it in a hard way. That's probably why, when I retired, after the press conference, I probably felt relief.

benefactor
12-06-2016, 01:10 PM
In b4 Harlem's Bird rant tbh

apalisoc_9
12-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Not even top 10 all time.

baseline bum
12-06-2016, 01:29 PM
I feel for people who never got to watch Bird, he was unreal to see.

Bynumite
12-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Bird>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LeCoon

HarlemHeat37
12-06-2016, 01:42 PM
I bet he doesn't discuss how David Stern and Larry O'Brien forced Black players to take it easy on him, tbh:lol

ambchang
12-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Today's NBA superstar (Durant) still use training methods from 50 years ago:

BH: I read that Kevin Durant did some exercise to strengthen his wrist and it was somehow tied back to you?

LB: It's interesting. When I was in the sixth grade, we had to go in before school and shoot free throws and lift a little bit. Not like they do. But they had a roller -- a wrist thing.

BH: Did it have a piece of string with a weight attached to it, and you'd roll it up?

LB: [Nods yes.] So my coach said, "You're going to get your wrist stronger." He was the varsity coach. So I did that all the time. And I still think today that's one of the reasons I was able to shoot the way I shot. That, to me, changed everything. I was in the sixth grade -- what, 10, 12 years old.

55 year old Bird beating today's "superstars":

Baxter Holmes: I heard a legend that you're still tough to beat in shooting contests, even as recently as this summer, and that even Paul George still couldn't beat you?

Larry Bird: Not anymore. God, it had to be five or six years ago. We were on the West Coast. Last time I can remember [shooting] was at the Clippers facility. They just handed me a ball and I started making them. ... That's about the only time. Maybe when [George] was a rookie, maybe. I haven't really shot any for about five years.

lefty
12-06-2016, 02:12 PM
Bird fucked up his finger (right hand) jsut before joining the Celtics, got his chronic back injury in 85, still managed to destroy opposition and make stiffs like Parish look good

Not bad a for a slow, white, unathletic white guy who didn't take steroids

GOAT

Killakobe81
12-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Bird fucked up his finger (right hand) jsut before joining the Celtics, got his chronic back injury in 85, still managed to destroy opposition and make stiffs like Parish look good

GOAT

Goat nah but ...
He is firmly ahead of pippin, worthy, kiwi and even Durant, so far ...
LeBron has passed him for the exact reason Bird talks about here, he broke down early ...

lefty
12-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Goat nah but ...
He is firmly ahead of pippin, worthy, kiwi and even Durant, so far ...
LeBron has passed him for the exact reason Bird talks about here, he broke down early ...

He was also better than Magic tbh

StrengthAndHonor
12-06-2016, 04:52 PM
One of the most overrated athlete in sports history.

apalisoc_9
12-06-2016, 05:02 PM
One of the most overrated athlete in sports history.

DMC
12-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Who is that Pinoy that rocked the league back in the day? Oh wait, there wasn't one. nm

HarlemHeat37
12-06-2016, 05:13 PM
I don't know if I'd call Bird overrated, tbh..I think it's more of a *wink wink* element, where everybody suspends disbelief to fit their preferred narrative, ignoring the obvious:lol

It's kind of similar to watching Air Bud IMO..

Robz4000
12-06-2016, 06:25 PM
I don't know if I'd call Bird overrated, tbh..I think it's more of a *wink wink* element, where everybody suspends disbelief to fit their preferred narrative, ignoring the obvious:lol

It's kind of similar to watching Air Bud IMO..

>implying Air Bud wouldn't shit on every player in :lol today's NBA...

I shiggy diggy

Clipper Nation
12-06-2016, 06:33 PM
I bet he doesn't discuss how David Stern and Larry O'Brien forced Black players to take it easy on him, tbh:lol

Killakobe81
12-06-2016, 06:39 PM

He was also better than Magic tbh

Whatever keeps you warm at night...

whitemamba
12-06-2016, 06:53 PM
LB was a psychological mastermind, he would mind fuck :loltodays NBA so hard, especially LeBron, he would eat him up.

lefty
12-06-2016, 08:01 PM
LB was a psychological mastermind, he would mind fuck :loltodays NBA so hard, especially LeBron, he would eat him up.

:lol truth nukes

lefty
12-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Whatever keeps you warm at night...
Why would I care?

I'm not a Celtics fan so I say from a neutral pov.

But if it's any consolation, Magic > Jordan

Killakobe81
12-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Why would I care?

I'm not a Celtics fan so I say from a neutral pov.

But if it's any consolation, Magic > Jordan

None of that makes any sense ...
Being wrong from a neutral perspective doesn't make you any less wrong ...
And you might as well be a Celts fan if you are dumb enough to think Bird is better than Magic and BOTH are better than Jordan ...I wish it were so and I prefer magic over Jordan as a team first guy but neither guy is better than Jordan and I was never on the Bulls bandwagon like many so called Lakers fans were

lefty
12-06-2016, 11:13 PM
None of that makes any sense ...
Being wrong from a neutral perspective doesn't make you any less wrong ...
And you might as well be a Celts fan if you are dumb enough to think Bird is better than Magic and BOTH are better than Jordan ...I wish it were so and I prefer magic over Jordan as a team first guy but neither guy is better than Jordan and I was never on the Bulls bandwagon like many so called Lakers fans were

Bird was better than Magic

Better shooter
Passing is a wash although Bird was obviously a better passer
None of them were known as great defenders but Bird was better

And don't give me the ring arguments. The Lakers were deeper and played in a shitty WC.

But don't get me wrong, Magic was awesome

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 01:21 AM

GOAT

Nique outplayed him in Gm 7 but the media's narrative was Bird won the duel b/c he outscored Nique 20-16 in the 4th quarter after being carried by McHale for 3 quarters.:lol

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 01:23 AM
Bird was better than Magic

Better shooter
Passing is a wash although Bird was obviously a better passer
None of them were known as great defenders but Bird was better

And don't give me the ring arguments. The Lakers were deeper and played in a shitty WC.

But don't get me wrong, Magic was awesome

Bird was better than Magic who wasn't even the best player on his own team in a couple of Finals series.:lol

Let's not forget Tragic Johnson & getting cucked by broke-back Bird for MVP 3 straight years during his PEAK.:lmao

Kevin Johnson also cucked him during his MVP season.:rollin

Killakobe81
12-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Bird was better than Magic who wasn't even the best player on his own team in a couple of Finals series.:lol

Let's not forget Tragic Johnson & getting cucked by broke-back Bird for MVP 3 straight years during his PEAK.:lmao

Even if, thiswere true ....your reasoning for why Bird is better is foolish. Is derozan better than Klay or steph because Durant is the best player on Golden State but DD is the best player on Toronto?
Was grant Hill better than Scottie Pippen since Pippen was the never the best player on ANY of his title teams?

lefty
12-07-2016, 09:43 AM

Truth nukes right there :wow
Kawhitstorm with the :

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3475098/larry-bird-3pt-88-o.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/KcfRrKx3Xmyre/giphy.gif

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Even if, thiswere true ....yo:lmaor on Toronto?
Was grant Hill better than Scottie Pippen since Pippen was the never the best player on ANY of his title teams?

The Tragic Files:

'80: Gifted the MVP for a one game performance against Darryl Dawkins after being carried by Kareem for 5 games :lmao

'81: Outplayed by the midget Calvin Murphy :lmao

'82: Gifted an MVP for being flashy despite being only the 5th leading scorer on his own team:lmao

'83: Cucked by Mo "Butt" Cheeks into committing 24 turnovers in just 4 games & Cheeks made more FGs than Tragic:lmao

'84: Biggest choke job by any so called "top 5" player w/ championship experience; LeChoke w/o defense = Tragic :lmao

'85: Carried by AARP Kareem :rollin

'86: Couldn't dominate against Reid/McCray:rollin

'87: Easiest path to a Finals in the 80s but still got torched by Sleepy "Crack" Floyd :lmao

'88: Got badly out-staged by gimpy Zeke in an elimination game; refs extended the series by calling a phantom foul :lmao

'89: Tapped out :lmao

'90: MVP Tragic outplayed by Kevin Johnson :lmao

'91: Put in his place by Jorn just like Bron put Curry in his place.:rollin

lefty
12-07-2016, 02:23 PM
The Tragic Files:

'80: Gifted the MVP for a one game performance against Darryl Dawkins after being carried by Kareem for 5 games :lmao

'81: Outplayed by the midget Calvin Murphy :lmao

'82: Gifted an MVP for being flashy despite being only the 5th leading scorer on his own team:lmao

'83: Cucked by Mo "Butt" Cheeks into committing 24 turnovers in just 4 games & Cheeks made more FGs than Tragic:lmao

'84: Biggest choke job by any so called "top 5" player w/ championship experience; LeChoke w/o defense = Tragic :lmao

'85: Carried by AARP Kareem :rollin

'86: Couldn't dominate against Reid/McCray:rollin

'87: Easiest path to a Finals in the 80s but still got torched by Sleepy "Crack" Floyd :lmao

'88: Got badly out-staged by gimpy Zeke in an elimination game; refs extended the series by calling a phantom foul :lmao

'89: Tapped out :lmao

'90: MVP Tragic outplayed by Kevin Johnson :lmao

'91: Put in his place by Jorn just like Bron put Curry in his place.:rollin

Agree on everything except for 81 (Nixon was the matchup vs Calvin ) and 1991 (that team was ordinary and they had injuries in the Finals)

But the rest is true
:lol Magic

SpursforSix
12-07-2016, 02:26 PM
I feel for people who never got to watch Bird, he was unreal to see.

word. I hated him when he came out of college. Was a Magic fan all the way. But after watching him for years...he was a badass. No debate about it at all. Would be interesting to see what he would have done with better physical training.

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Agree on everything except for 81 (Nixon was the matchup vs Calvin )

I'm talking about him getting outplayed by the other team's wing-man.:wakeup

1991 (that team was ordinary and they had injuries in the Finals

In '91 there was a debate whether Magic or Jorn was the best player in the league just like Wardell/Bron last season.:lol

Michael Jordan is considered by many to be the greatest player the game has ever seen, and yet his performance in the 1991 NBA Finals (http://www.warriorsworld.net/2011/11/22/michael-jordans-finals-performance/) is rarely mentioned amongst the greatest in the league’s history. For a variety of reasons, it seems almost forgotten but it was still impressive nonetheless.

In the same breath, the 1991 NBA Finals pitted Michael Jordan versus Magic Johnson; a match up that would eventually be viewed as a passing of the torch.

Jordan was a superstar that had captured the world’s attention with his impressive scoring ability as well as his surreal athletic gifts. He had not yet been to the mountaintop, and was hoping to finally be crowned as a champion at the expense of the Los Angeles Lakers.

Magic Johnson on the other hand was 31 years old, a five-time NBA champion and the proud owner of three MVP awards. Gone were the trademark goatee as well as some of his speed and quickness; but he was still Magic.

lefty
12-07-2016, 02:58 PM
THat passing of the torch thingy was a story the media had to write, nothing more tbh

MJ couldnt guard Magic tbh, so they had to put Pippen on him, but even that didnt stop Magic from racking up assits to the likes of Terry Teagle, Lynch or 2nd year center Divac

Magic is better than Jerden imo

Killakobe81
12-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Agenda driven posts and trolling much like the force, only works on the weak minded.

lefty
12-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Agenda driven posts and trolling much like the force, only works on the weak minded.
Speaking of weak minded, remember Tragic in 84 ?

12-07-2016, 03:50 PM
:loldaaamn

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 04:07 PM
THat passing of the torch thingy was a story the media had to write, nothing more tbh

MJ couldnt guard Magic tbh, so they had to put Pippen on him, but even that didnt stop Magic from racking up assits to the likes of Terry Teagle, Lynch or 2nd year center Divac

Magic is better than Jerden imo

Magic had like 30lbs on Jordan so he should be able to guard Magic when all he did was post-up.:lol (Kirby couldn't guard Melo in the post)

On the other end, Magic couldn't keep up w/ Jordan's shadow.:lol

At the end of the day, Magic couldn't guard Pippen while Jordan shutdown Byron Scott.:toast

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 04:09 PM

Remember '88 when Stockton was beating Tragic at his own game::lol

vnGmWQG_EIc

Remember '89 when Kevin Johnson outplayed MVP Tragic::lol

NK_tKG9u1_c

Tragic ALWAYS had the better teammates whom he repaid w/ butt-sex for bailing him out.

lefty
12-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Remember '88 when Stockton was running circles around Tragic::lol

Stockton absolutely dominated Magic in 1988 , but refs robbed the Jazz :lol (alos robbed the Mavs and Detroit that year)

:lol letting 1 legged Isiah drop 25 in a quarter

Kevin just flat out raped him :lol

lefty
12-07-2016, 04:18 PM
Magic had like 30lbs on Jordan so he should be able to guard Magic when all he did was post-up.:lol (Kirby couldn't guard Melo in the post)

On the other end, Magic couldn't keep up w/ Jordan's shadow.:lol

At the end of the day, Magic couldn't guard Pippen while Jordan shutdown Byron Scott.:toast

Yeah Magic would have been shit without the size advantadge tbh

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Stockton absolutely dominated Magic in 1988 , but refs robbed the Jazz :lol (alos robbed the Mavs and Detroit that year)

:lol letting 1 legged Isiah drop 25 in a quarter

SSHGG0sGUOc

lefty
12-07-2016, 04:29 PM
SSHGG0sGUOc
:lol Stern

Silver&Black
12-07-2016, 06:56 PM
:birthday:

JoeTait75
12-07-2016, 11:04 PM
SSHGG0sGUOc

Dogshit call but fuck Laimbeer anyway.

12-08-2016, 03:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXv0JtzNQA

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

lefty
12-08-2016, 03:20 PM

GOAT

ambchang
12-08-2016, 07:35 PM
People who never watched bird will no understand the amazing stuff he did on the court.

His career and peak are too short to consider him GOAT, but his peak is One of the GOAT peaks.

Killakobe81
12-08-2016, 07:53 PM
People who never watched bird will no understand the amazing stuff he did on the court.

His career and peak are too short to consider him GOAT, but his peak is One of the GOAT peaks.

I won't lie saw him a bit before but didn't really watch him close until 84 and the rivalry picked up ...but he was a destroyer still 84-86 and I saw him make 3 straight Finals...before LeBron no doubt GOAT SF out of the guys I saw ...my dad preferred Dr.J but by the time I truly got in to hoops Bird shitted on him regularly...he and Nique and Bernard had some battles though

ambchang
12-08-2016, 09:43 PM
I won't lie saw him a bit before but didn't really watch him close until 84 and the rivalry picked up ...but he was a destroyer still 84-86 and I saw him make 3 straight Finals...before LeBron no doubt GOAT SF out of the guys I saw ...my dad preferred Dr.J but by the time I truly got in to hoops Bird shitted on him regularly...he and Nique and Bernard had some battles though

Nique and king were scorers and not much else, like memo in today's world, but less cancerous. Bird did everything.

I didn't see too much Dr J in his prime with the nets (aba), but he was still great in his philly days, still second fiddle to Moses though.

Koolaid_Man
12-09-2016, 07:18 AM
Bird would have mind fucked Lebron to the bench. what you clowns don't seem to realize is that niggas like Lebron and Tammy they couldn't have played in the era because them niggas want people to like them. Anytime you want to be liked by others you're a fucking loser and mentally weak...coon ass figgas....tbh

lefty
12-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Imagine what he would have done to Kirby::lol

SpursforSix
12-09-2016, 10:10 AM

yeah. awesome. Amazing how stars get forgotten so quick. And I'm guilty of the same. I'll dismiss some of those older players that I never really saw. Oscar Robertson, Russell, etc.
And I suppose it's because we don't have video of their whole career. But Bird was absolutely amazing.

If anyone hasn't seen it, the Magic/Bird documentary is really good.

lefty
12-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Yeah the documentary was good but the whole ":cry Bird got those MVP's over Magic because he is white" was fucking gay tbh

ambchang
12-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Bird would have mind fucked Lebron to the bench. what you clowns don't seem to realize is that niggas like Lebron and Tammy they couldn't have played in the era because them niggas want people to like them. Anytime you want to be liked by others you're a fucking loser and mentally weak...coon ass figgas....tbh

Yeah, people like Kobe risking jail time to get street cred.

12-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Yeah the documentary was good but the whole ":cry Bird got those MVP's over Magic because he is white" was fucking gay tbh
:lol I don't remember that, might have to rewatch it tbh

Killakobe81
12-09-2016, 12:57 PM

The numbers favored Bird ...
But writers back then weren't using advanced metrics ...
There actually is east coast bias especially back in the early 80s ...and I'm sure race played a part too heck still does over 30 years later

lefty
12-09-2016, 02:12 PM
:lol advanced metrics
:lol Darryl Morey