PDA

View Full Version : Texas Fight! Texas Fight! OU Sucks!

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Well that was an ass whipping the Longhorns gave the Sooners.

Vince Young pretty much owned OU's defense with his passing.

Billy Pittman had a big game, Charles had that big run. Selvin even got into the end zone.

UT 45 OU 12

:smokin

mookie2001
10-08-2005, 03:50 PM
no doubt man
and the haters will come with excuse after excuse too

Texas beats A&M
has their shot at USC

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 03:50 PM
no doubt man
and the haters will come with excuse after excuse too

Texas beats A&M
has their shot at USC
USC is having trouble with Arizona right now. 7 - 7 in the middle of the 2nd.

spyder
10-08-2005, 04:08 PM
yea, but USC always turns it up in the 2nd half

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
yea, but USC always turns it up in the 2nd half
Yeah, they won't do that shit against good schools though.

They're leading at the half 14 - 7.

spyder
10-08-2005, 04:22 PM
I think Nortre Dame has a damn good chance of beating USC next week...i think that game is next week

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Here are some photos from the UT-OU game....

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8785/vinceyoungnumber12np.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6867/jamaalcharles9bb.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8957/rodwrighttd9la.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1403/pittmantd1ew.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/234/taylortd8hl.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/491/texascelebratin2iy.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7971/mackbrown9qu.jpg

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 08:20 PM
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7971/mackbrown9qu.jpg
Mack Brown: Yo Yo Yo, Bob Stoops, You just got OWNED!

scott
10-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Mack Brown: Yo Yo Yo, Bob Stoops, You just got OWNED!

I seriously hope you don't think that winning for the first time in five years qualifies as "owned"

Texas has the bragging rights for this year, but don't act like it revises history.

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 08:35 PM
I seriously hope you don't think that winning for the first time in five years qualifies as "owned"

Texas has the bragging rights for this year, but don't act like it revises history.
Actually if you go to the overrall meetings between UT-OU. UT have beaten OU way more times than OU has beaten UT.

UT owns in the overrall series. :tu

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Also I'd consider 33 point win over OU as owned, UT has lost 5 years but not this year. I am having my fun, you have to let it be.

mookie2001
10-08-2005, 08:40 PM

regardless
Oklahoma sucks
theyve lost 3 games already
which is as many postseason games they have lost in the last 2 years
so they got owned today
in 2005
they suck
texas is better
now
this season

hussker
10-08-2005, 08:49 PM
TU wins out. The get the winner of CU NU big XII North in Reliant in DEC. They go undefeated (as much as I would love to ee what happens here in Aggieland if aTm pulls the upset). TU wins the NC vs VaTech...I think USC will stumble along the way.

UT wins, Big XII wins, all are happy...except my Aggie Wife!

Sorry, Bush gets the Heisman, though VY deserves it

j-6
10-08-2005, 08:51 PM
TU wins out. The get the winner of CU NU big XII North in Reliant in DEC. They go undefeated (as much as I would love to ee what happens here in Aggieland if aTm pulls the upset). TU wins the NC vs VaTech...I think USC will stumble along the way.

UT wins, Big XII wins, all are happy...except my Aggie Wife!

Sorry, Bush gets the Heisman, though VY deserves it

I can live with your third prediction as long as your first two come true. :D

hussker
10-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I can live with your third prediction as long as your first two come true. :D

I think VY can too! I know that Crouch would have given the H-Man for the NC that yr...

spurs=bling
10-08-2005, 10:51 PM
i was seein' a recap of the game on the DVR. it was a good game.

hussker
10-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Have to tell you how deep the disgust is for ut here in Aggieland.
In the local paper, (The Eagle) the Sports column has the typical Division and standings of the Big XII.

In the North, NU is on top at 1-0 Conf and 4-0 Overall, while CU is 1-0 and 3-1 (obviously, this is before tonight's games). Now N is alphabetically after C, so it must be based on OVERALL RECORD that NU be placed at the top of that Division Standing

In the South, the standing is OU on top 1-0 in conf, 2-2 overall, UT Next at 1-0/ 4-0 .
If the above rationale is true with NU/CU, shouldn't UT be above OU in that column? Not that is matters and is relatively esoteric, but I thought it was funny that the local sports hacks in College Station cannot put the Horns on top...TOO FUNNY! I guess they have no choice next week!

Just my observation...
A lost Cornhusker in Aggieland! (Man, I am going to be loving it in Kyle for the UT/aTm game!)

Trainwreck2100
10-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Didn't OU own them a couple of years ago. I'm not an OU fan I'm just saying.

Marcus Bryant
10-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Actually if you go to the overrall meetings between UT-OU. UT have beaten OU way more times than OU has beaten UT.

UT owns in the overrall series. :tu

Sure, if anyone gives a damn about the games played in 1900 through 1949 or whatever.

It's pretty funny to see Longhorn fans run smack about 'owning' OU after their first win since 1999.

Then again, most Texas fans are bandwagoning mofos.

mookie2001
10-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Marcus youre so fucking lame
you would have been the first one in here in here scoffing the shit out of Texas had they lost or won by less than 20 pts
the only thing texas could do was win
now
in 2005
and they didnt just win
they beat the shit out of OU

sorry Mack didnt refuse to play the game unless the Oklahoma All- Millenium team was playing the game

Marcus Bryant
10-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Wow, they beat the shit out of a OU team that they were supposed to beat the shit out of. That's not impressive.

mookie2001
10-09-2005, 02:17 PM
yeah
and theyre only #2 in the nation

theyre not even as good as USC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus Bryant
10-09-2005, 02:19 PM
So what? They beat a sucky OU team and they beat an Ohio State team that just lost to...Penn State. BFD. USC deserves to be ranked ahead of them.

mookie2001
10-09-2005, 02:21 PM
no shit bitch
and youre scoffing them
for being #2 and undefeated
the most transparent hater in this forum

Marcus Bryant
10-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Dumbass, I am scoffing 'fans' such as yourself who are trying to make a Texas blowout win over a team they were supposed to blow out into something it wasn't. It was not an upset. Small wonder most people think Texas fans are dumb motherfuckers.

mookie2001
10-09-2005, 02:27 PM
I didnt make it anything
except the second win in what everyone was calling a 3 game season
and a step closer to a shot at usc
I knew people would still disrespect Texas because Oklahoma didnt field their All- Millenium team this year
and texas did the only thing they could
beat the shit out of them

Kdfelicity
10-09-2005, 02:31 PM
The next excuse coming is "Adrian wasn't 100%" Fuck the Sooners and they wouldn't have the team they had in the last 5 years if it wasn't for their players who were traitors to Texas by going to Oklahoma.

So kiss my ass Sooners...

:cuss

Mr Dio
10-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Wow, they beat the shit out of a OU team that they were supposed to beat the shit out of. That's not impressive.

Neither are your posts.
You're embarassing yourself scooter.

Marcus Bryant
10-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Whatever chump. Go 'Runners!

Mr Dio
10-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Whatever chump. Go 'Runners!

Like I said..EMBARASSING yourself. :lol

Marcus Bryant
10-09-2005, 05:47 PM
That made no sense whatsoever.

Mr Dio
10-09-2005, 06:46 PM
You did it again. :lol

mookie2001
10-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Rofl

Hook Dem
10-09-2005, 07:29 PM
:lol :lol

Marcus Bryant
10-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I guess I took something you had to express with a grain of salt.

samikeyp
10-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Technically MB is right...its not an upset since Texas was favored but a win is a win and until the NCAA gives extra credit for margin of victory, how much you win by is irrelevant. Just because Texas did what they were supposed to do doesn't mean that shouldn't be celebrated. OU fan took no excuses the last five years (nor should they have) and I take no excuses now. OU got worked plain and simple and good and true OU fans...like Scott...admitted such.

Oh and you want dumb fans? How about those OU fans (not all naturally) that do the upside-down longhorn sign...against Tech? or Baylor? or A&M? Hell I even saw it once against OK. State. One of my best friends, who is more Sooner than anyone here, pointed that out to me while we were watching the OU-OSU game last year.

Ginofan
10-09-2005, 10:10 PM
One question, what were the Longhorn fans booing at in the first half of the game?

scott
10-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Oh and you want dumb fans? How about those OU fans (not all naturally) that do the upside-down longhorn sign...against Tech? or Baylor? or A&M? Hell I even saw it once against OK. State. One of my best friends, who is more Sooner than anyone here, pointed that out to me while we were watching the OU-OSU game last year.

Yes... this is just stupid. I own a Crimson and Creme visor with an upsidedown Horn on it, but I only wear on the first full weekend of October.

Horry For 3!
10-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Marcus Bryant has to be the dumbest poster on this board. The guy has no idea what he is talking about when he posts.

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 10:10 AM
^and he hates college football

LOL

thats like me posting in the soccer/hockey forum

Marcus Bryant
10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah, in order to be a "smart" poster in this forum I need to post a pic of myself wearing a wifebeater.

Get a grip you little trick.

samikeyp
10-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Yes... this is just stupid. I own a Crimson and Creme visor with an upsidedown Horn on it, but I only wear on the first full weekend of October.

As you should.

Maybe you can answer this for me...who started that? Was it Arkansas or OU? I have heard both.

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 10:45 AM
whoever did must have been a genius
who would have ever thought to do such a thing
imagine turning something upside down to disrespect it!!!

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 10:59 AM
whoever did must have been a genius
who would have ever thought to do such a thing
imagine turning something upside down to disrespect it!!!

Especially when you can just kidnap the mascot and brand it with the score from a previous loss to a small agricultural college just down the road.

http://www.utexas.edu/tours/nowthen/20/17_BEVO.GIF

That's 13-0, "13 E- V 0" :lol

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 11:14 AM
or lose to Baylor

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
or lose to Baylor

Like Texas did when rebuilding during the John Mackovick era.

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 11:21 AM
It's one of the best-known stories on the UT campus. During a late night visit to Austin, a group of Texas Aggie pranksters branded the University's first longhorn mascot "13-0," the score of a football game won by Texas A&M. In order to save face, UT students altered the brand to read "Bevo" by changing the "13" to a "B," the "-" to an "E," and inserting a "V" between the dash and the "0." For years, Aggies have proudly touted the stunt as the reason the steer acquired his name. But was the brand really changed? And is that why he's called Bevo?

Sorry. Wrong on both counts.

The last day of November, 1916 - Thanksgiving Day - was an eventful one for the University of Texas. At 9 a.m., a procession of students, faculty and alumni paraded south from the campus to the state capitol for the inauguration of Robert Vinson as the new UT president. Held in the House Chambers, students dressed according to their college and class. Seniors wore special arm bands, engineers sported blue shirts and khaki trousers, and freshmen huddled in green caps. There was enough pomp and oratory for the ceremony to last all morning. After the inauguration, lunch was served on the Forty Acres. A boxed meal for twenty-five cents was available for those who wanted to picnic on the campus. Folks who preferred a more traditional Thanksgiving Day feast headed for the "Caf," an unpainted, leaky wooden shack that somehow managed to function as the University Cafeteria. The full turkey dinner cost fifty cents.

The afternoon was reserved for the annual football bout with the A&M College of Texas. A record 15,000 fans packed the wooden bleachers at Clark Field, the University's first athletic field, where Taylor Hall and the ACES Building are now. The first two quarters were a defensive struggle, and the half ended with the score tied 7-7.

At halftime, two West Texas cowboys dragged a half-starved and frightened longhorn steer onto the field, where it was formally presented to the UT student body by a group of Texas Exes. They were led by Stephen Pinckney (LL.B. 1911), who had long wanted to acquire a real longhorn as a living mascot for the University. While working for the U.S. Attorney General's office, he'd spent most of the year in West Texas assisting with raids on cattle rustlers. A raid near Laredo in late September turned up a steer whose fur was so orange Pinckney knew he'd found his mascot. With $1.00 contributions from 124 fellow alumni, Pinckney purchased the animal and arranged for its transportation to Austin. Loaded onto a boxcar without food or water, the steer arrived just in time for the football game.

After presenting the longhorn to the students, the animal was removed to a South Austin stockyard for a formal photograph and an overdue meal. The steer, though, wasn't very cooperative. It stood still just long enough for a flash photograph, and then charged the camera. The photographer scurried out of the corral just in time, and both the camera and photograph survived the ordeal.

In the meantime, the Texas football team ran two punts in for scores to win the game 22-7.

To spread the news, the December 1916 issue of the Texas Exes Alcalde magazine was rushed into press. Editor Ben Dyer (BA 1910) gave a full account of the game and halftime proceedings. About the longhorn, Dyer stated simply, "His name is Bevo. Long may he reign!"

With the football season over, the steer remained in South Austin while UT students discussed what to do with him. The Texan newspaper favored branding the longhorn with a large "T" on one side and "22-7" on the other as a permanent reminder of the Texas victory. Others were opposed, citing animal cruelty, and wondered if the steer might be tamed so that it could roam and graze on the Forty Acres.

The debate was abruptly settled early on Sunday morning, February 12, 1917. A group of four Texas A & M students equipped "with all the utensils for steer branding" broke into the South Austin stockyard at 3 a.m. It was a struggle, but the Aggies managed to brand the longhorn "13-0," which was the score of the 1915 football game A&M had won in College Station.

Only a week later, amid rumors that the Aggies planned to kidnap the animal outright, the longhorn was removed to a ranch sixty miles west of Austin. Within two months, the United States entered World War I, and the University community turned its attention to the conflict in Europe. Out of sight and away from Austin, the branded steer was all but forgotten until the end of the war in November 1919. Since food and care for the animal was costing the University fifty cents a day, and because the steer wasn't believed to be tame enough to roam the campus or remain in the football stadium, it was fattened up and became the barbecued main course for the January 1920 football banquet. The Aggies were invited to attend, served the side they had branded, and were presented with the hide, which still read "13-0."

Why did Ben Dyer dub the longhorn Bevo, instead of another name? The most popular theory has been that it was borrowed from the label of a new soft drink. "Bevo" was the name of a non-alcoholic "near beer" produced by the Anheuser-Busch brewery in Saint Louis. Introduced in 1916 as the national debate over Prohibition threatened the company's welfare, the drink was extremely popular through the 1920s. Over 50 million cases were sold annually in fifty countries. Anheuser-Busch named the new drink "Bevo" as a play on the term "pivo," the Bohemian word for beer.

However, while the Bevo drink was a long-term success, its sales in 1916 were comparatively small. Without the assistance of radio or television advertising, national marketing campaigns were slower, and it took longer for retailers to buy in to the new Anheuser-Busch product. As it turns out, the Bevo beverage was almost unknown in Austin when Stephen Pinckney presented his orange longhorn to University students. Bevo the beverage just might be a red herring.

A recent suggestion made by Dan Zabcik (BA 1993) may prove to be the right one. Through the 1900s and 1910s, newspapers ran a series of comic strips drawn by Gus Mager. The strips usually featured monkeys as the main characters, all named for their personality traits. Braggo the Monk constantly made empty boasts, Sherlocko the Monk was a bumbling detective, and so on. The comic strips were popular enough to create a nationwide fad for persons to nickname their friends the same way, with an "o" added to the end. The Marx Brothers were so named by their collegues in Vaudville: Groucho was moody, Harpo played the harp, and Chico raised chicks when he was a boy. Mager's strips ran every Sunday in newspapers throughout Texas, including Austin.

In addition, the term "beeve" is the plural of beef, but is more commonly used as a slang term for a cow (or steer) that's destined to become food. The term is still used, though it was more common among the general public in the 1910s when Texas was more rural. The jump from "beeve" to "Bevo" isn't far, and makes more sense given the trends of the time.

Whatever the reason, UT's mascot was named by folks in Austin, not College Station.

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 11:28 AM
^^^Source, The Daily Texan. :lol

All you fair weather mf'ers can learn some lessons in running smack even when your team doesn't do well, because it's your team.

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 11:30 AM
yeah
i guess we can only really rely on recent, head to head matchups between a&m and texas.
thats just so weak

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 11:38 AM
yeah
i guess we can only really rely on recent, head to head matchups between a&m and texas.
thats just so weak

:lol

Mookie, when that big A&M upset of Texas is staring back at you with its big, wide eyes, knowing that its very existence brings tears of ultimate sadness to t-sippers, then you will know what it's like. :lol

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I'll be there to see it

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I'll be there to see it

Where are your seats? I hope you're not stuck on turd deck. :lol

I haven't been since the '98 season - they were still building the "zone" then. I understand they are closing the south end in the near future - there is no way they can schedule home non-conference games before nightfall if that is the case.

mookie2001
10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure yet
I think the mixed section
not very good seats

Ballcox
10-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Ok, I'm out of my meditation cave and feel as though a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I know in terms of national rankings it wasn't a huge win, but finally beating ou after five years of losing was a huge mental win for this UT program. What's even more relevant to me is that UT has yet to play their best game overall. The defense has been EXTREMELY good, special teams has finally started coming around, but I gotta tell ya, our offense still has not had THAT game yet. You know, the one where they just go out and execute all DAY long. We've had spurts here and there, but it hasn't been 4 quarters yet, and I can't wait for the offense to really hit their stride, when they do this team could be really scary.

But, I'll take the win and be happy. No time for letting down, though. Back to back conference games against Colorado and Tech are going to be very difficult, and you can't let your concentration slip for one second in college football, one loss for UT and it's over.

Horry For 3!
10-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Yeah, in order to be a "smart" poster in this forum I need to post a pic of myself wearing a wifebeater.

Get a grip you little trick.
No one even said anything about a picture, I am talking about the quality of posts. You have no idea what you are talking about. See as of now, your trying to bring me down to your level, it won't happen. I will never be as low as you.

Marcus Bryant
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Ha.

Horry For 3!
10-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Ha.
Sir, you just got OWNED by many.

Marcus Bryant
10-10-2005, 06:16 PM
You wish, kiddo.

Mr Dio
10-10-2005, 08:28 PM