PDA

View Full Version : Game Grades Dec. 6 Spurs at Wolves - Win!

SAGirl
12-07-2016, 01:51 PM
I apologize that I could not get them out last night. I feel tempted to give everyone an A bc it was such a quality win, but obviously that is not how these things go. I also apologize if my recollection of the game is somewhat fuzzy... to a degree doing the review one day after the game just makes one highlight what impressed one the most. Anyways, with that introduction here it goes.

Kawhi: A+

An A+ production from the franchise player bc for sure the team doesn't win this game if he doesn't take control of things in the 4th Q and he kept them in the game with timely baskets all through the 2nd and 3rd Q. It's worth noting, and I almost forgot, that the team had a slow start scoring and Pop brought the bench early. For whatever reason the starting lineup is not coming out fired up in the 1st Q on both ends and this game was starting to get away early with Wolves scoring easily and Spurs coming up empty. However, once that episode was over, Kawhi dominated the rest of the way. He was impactful on defense as well and had steals in the 4th that helped widen the margin of victory so he could rest some minutes. It wasn't a big rebounding game for him, but with him doing everything else, why not let a teammate grab a board? I can't dock a single thing out of this from Kiwi. He completely carried the team. He was the best player on the floor last night for either team.

Lamarcus: B-

I hesitated on the grades for him bc offensively this was a bad game. However, he did such a good job on defense keeping KAT at 3-16 shooting and just 11 points, making him seem pedestrian when we know the guy is talented so I could not dock him that much. He didn't get to the FT line which is a sign he wasn't that aggressive and his made baskets were under duress as a matter of fact. He only had 2 boards. It is possible he was a bit wiped out on energy having expended a lot of it the night before against the feisty Bucks but this was not a good game for him

Danny Green: C+

This was just an Ok game for Danny... Lavine kept going off coming off screens and what not + he also did a good job setting up teammates. At times Lavine looked like the Wolves' best player, so it's a bit of a knock on Danny. He didn't register any of his trademark defensive plays and only made two shots, but one was a 3 that helped get some momentum, a bit of an LDN sighting. It was just a forgettable game for Danny. He didn't TO however, and did have 2 assists. Again, probably the fact that this was a win makes me be generous, there wasn't anything remarkable about this game from him at all.

Pau: B-
Tough night for Pau. He didn't have it going on, and his lack of defense at this point will make me dock him a grade. An A game for him would have to include solid defense and that is scarce with him. He allowed layups to Wiggins and co... but we already know that Pau is going to do that. He wasn't terribly efficient scoring either, but he did make 2 threes that were important for the team when he made them. In a game that Lamarcus wasn't scoring much, nor Danny, the Spurs needed to get something from Pau and they did get some offense. He grabbed 7 boards, but it still seemed like Deng was grabbing offensive boards and flipping some hook shots in. Truth be told the starters were not rebounding the ball well (neither Kiwi, nor Lamarcus or Danny got a high number of rebounds so it was a general problem).

Nico: C

It's tough to grade Nico bc one doesn't know what to expect. He did have the worst +/- in the team which meant when he was on the floor good things were not happening. He struggled with his defense and kept fouling guys without a need to do so. Dunn was too strong and fast for him to keep up with, but I thought Nico was alert on switches and tried his best to execute the defensive scheme. He scored efficiently and made 2 threes, but he had more TO than assists and he struggled setting up the offense bc a good percentage of his passes ended up in kick balls. Nico struggling to set up the offense could explain why Lamarcus didn't get it going with good shots and on occassion had to force shots. It just wasn't a good game from Nico like it was against the Bucks.

Dedmon: A

I thought the Spurs got from Dedmon exactly what they are used to getting. Hustle, tough defense, rebounding, etc. He wasn't scoring much in this game but was efficient with what he did on that end. One of his highlights include him running the floor hard for a half court alley oop pass from Anderson that resulted in buckets. He also flashed a pretty midrange jumper. The guy continues to impress. Here are Dedmon's two buckets: http://www.nba.com/video/wsc/league/cc8fd8ae-3038-93ed-d980-17acebdc549b

Lee: B +

He played only 12 minutes and I don't remember much of them. He only got 2 boards in this one, so it wasn't a high rebound game for him. His 2 made baskets were his trademark rolls to the basket, but he attempted two midrange shots and missed both. He did come in with energy in the first Q and helped the Spurs make a run after the starters' slow start. I think he had a typical good game for him, but it being nothing exceptional a B seems like a fair grade.

Anderson: A-

I know he missed an easy layup and that is why this is not a A+, but aside from that, he was impactful in this game. The rebounds he got came in the guts of the game and were over contested hands. He did a good job on the wings he was defending (Shabazz had a miserable night shooting 1/6 and the times he was on Wiggins or Lavine neither guy was going off). He made good decisions with his passes, ending up with 4 assists and no TO. He made one of a couple of threes he attempted. It is a curved grade compared with his recent appearances, not in relation to anyone else, but it might be his best game of the season. I think he had a good game against the Pistons this season, but this is probably a better game, bc the Spurs were understaffed in this one and needed contributions from him.

Simmons: B-

It's tough to grade Simmons in relation to himself bc he has been inconsistent. He was aggressive in this one, but his shots were not falling. The 3 he made (like Kyle's it must be said) came in garbage time, where he also had a runout layup in transition, those are 5 of his 7 points. If not for those two made baskets at the end of the game this would have been a 2 point outing for him. Considering that the bench was missing Ginobili, this was a game I expected to see more out of Simmons on both ends. However, aside from expectation it wasn't a terrible game. It was more or less average JSimms.

Mills: A

I have to give Mills an A bc he definitely came into this game with the required energy and looking to get out of his shooting slump. He did a good job setting up Lee for his rolls to the basket, he scored well for himself and did a much better job setting up the offense than Lapro did in this one. The difference between Mills and Nico was significant in this game. Mills got steals and was his usual pesky self.

Davis: Inc. (but more like C)

Just two minutes, but what stood out to me was that he could not rebound or defend the rim. To be fair to him, Pop let him play against both Deng and Towns... there was one board he could have gotten that was knocked out of bounds bc he could not hold on to it. I think Davis being such a lightweight hurts him going for boards. He had a pretty drive for an assist to Kyle.

Forbes: Inc. (but it would have been F)

His awareness of time, score and situation was lacking. The ball came to him at the end of the game bc the Wolves were trapping ballhandlers at midcourt after inbounding the ball, hoping to force a TO. He needed to hold on to that ball and pass to run out the clock. Instead he launched a heavily contested 3, causing the Wolves to grab the rebound and score an easy layup. After that, Pop took a timeout and presumably told them to use the entire 24 seconds possession b4 launching a shot. He was otherwise unremarkable.
Pop: A

I thought he managed rotations well. I am sure some are wondering why Bertans didn't play and I wondered that too. In reality, Lee only played 12 minutes. Most of the big minutes went to LMA, Pau and Dedmon. The last two minutes of the game showed that both Towns and Deng were too strong for Bertans, and Aldrich is probably too strong as well. He could have guarded Bjelica but that probably meant benching Lee. It's going to be interesting to watch Pop select games to play Bertans, but considering the outcome of this game, I can't say Pop didn't make the right call.

He pulled the starters early after they came out sleepwalking and the bench had a bit more energy and gained some momentum. I thought his timeouts in the 4th Q were timely. I also thought it was a good idea to bench Manu, although both Simmons and Anderson looked shaky to start this game, bc Manu has notoriously not been good in B2B. This was a good game to get those two some experience on their own.

Overall, the one standout player in this game was Kawhi. Without him coming out playing like the best player on the floor this outcome is different. I may have been generous at times bc this was a good quality win IMO. The review coming in a day after the game also fuzzes my memory a little bit and for that I apologize.

SAGirl
12-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Here is the box score:
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/nba/500/sa.png&h=100&w=100Spurs

STARTERS
MIN
FG
3PT
FT
OREB
DREB
REB
AST
STL
BLK
TO
PF
+/-
PTS

L. Aldridge (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge)PF
3-8
0-1
0-0
+8

K. Leonard (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6450/kawhi-leonard)SF
11-15
2-3
7-8
+16

P. Gasol (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/996/pau-gasol)C
4-10
2-3
1-2

D. Green (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/danny-green)SG
2-4
1-3
0-0
+2

N. Laprovittola (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2968338/nicolas-laprovittola)G
4-5
2-3
0-0

BENCH
MIN
FG
3PT
FT
OREB
DREB
REB
AST
STL
BLK
TO
PF
+/-
PTS

D. Lee (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2772/david-lee)PF
2-4
0-0
0-0
+12

D. Bertans (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6426/davis-bertans)SF
0-0
0-0
0-0

D. Dedmon (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2580913/dewayne-dedmon)C
2-2
0-0
1-2
+17

P. Mills (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4004/patty-mills)PG
6-13
2-7
1-1
+29

K. Anderson (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2993874/kyle-anderson)SG
2-4
1-2
6-6
+7

B. Forbes (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2994526/bryn-forbes)SG
0-1
0-1
0-0

J. Simmons (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2579466/jonathon-simmons)SG
3-8
1-1
0-0
+3

M. Ginobili (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili)SG
DNP-COACH'S DECISION

Splits
12-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Shit grades, put some effort into it next time.

apalisoc_9
12-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Anderson with an A Grade :wow

r0drig0lac
12-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Anderson with an A Grade :wow

haha

SAGirl
12-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Shit grades, put some effort into it next time.
lol
You are welcome.

You could have jumped ahead and done them you know since I took time to get this out lol

TrainOfThought5
12-07-2016, 02:28 PM
Mills was +29?? Dedmon +17?? Just make them starters and space the floor and defend the rim and get it over with.

spursistan
12-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the time put into it..:tu

Solid evaluation that coincided with Kyle best game of the season..

Splits
12-07-2016, 02:36 PM
lol
You are welcome.

You could have jumped ahead and done them you know since I took time to get this out lol

:hat

You know I'm just playin', you're my girl. Great writeup and thanks.

TDomination
12-07-2016, 02:43 PM
In general, I appreciate everyone who does these grades. I've been contemplating doing grades but I have a hard time watching an entire game without having to go somewhere, or do something with my wife and daughter. And then I know I would just make some terrible grades up.

So I appreciate those who are able to take the time and effort to do these. So even if it was a day after the game, thanks for the grades SAGirl.

Oh and i'm liking Dedmond more and more every game. I guess its safe to say he's out of the dog house?

SAGirl
12-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the time put into it..:tu

Solid evaluation that coincided with Kyle best game of the season..
/rofl
I know right?
I could not pass the opportunity to give an A...:lol

guys should just recognize, crack a smile and enjoy.

Truth be told: I only selected this game bc it was in NBA TV... I now live in dallas and I only get games nationally televised. FSSW shows the Dallas games... the Spurs I have to watch in glitchy or laggy feeds unless they are on national TV. It just so happened to be a relatively good Kyle game, and considering how poor he has been this season... it was sheer luck.. Serendipity as sasaint put it.
:toast

In reality I was so happy last night I would have given everyone an A.. and I tended to grade favorably. I find it tough to come out giving guys Fs, Ds, and shizz in wins... but Kawhi was the star in this one... no doubt about it.

If one really wanted to get critical there were guys who underperformed.

YGWHI
12-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the grades! :tu

I love Kawhi-LMA-Dedmon frontcourt. Also, if they can build more chemistry on court...they should be so great together.
That Kawhi to Dedmon lob attempt was awkward and funny at the same time but we can see a lot of potential in both as energy duo.

During the game we can read some good stuff about Kyle...

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Mills was +29?? Dedmon +17?? Just make them starters and space the floor and defend the rim and get it over with.

It's better to get Pau/Porker's minutes early in the game rather than having them choke away leads in the 4th quarter.

TheGreatYacht
12-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Dedmon, Leonard, and Simmons need to see the floor together more

sasaint
12-07-2016, 03:54 PM
In general, I appreciate everyone who does these grades. I've been contemplating doing grades but I have a hard time watching an entire game without having to go somewhere, or do something with my wife and daughter. And then I know I would just make some terrible grades up.

So I appreciate those who are able to take the time and effort to do these. So even if it was a day after the game, thanks for the grades SAGirl.

Oh and i'm liking Dedmond more and more every game. I guess its safe to say he's out of the dog house?

I would like to see him start a few games. But his speed and quickness better suit him to the style of the second unit. If Pop gives Dedmon a DNP against Chicago will you still think he's out of the doghouse?

DPG21920
12-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the grades - I missed the first half so can't really comment too much.

elemento
12-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the grades

Mills +29 damn. The more I watch Dedmon, I more I feel he should start. Let's see until when Pop continues to be the senile old fuck starting Pau/Aldridge.

Dex
12-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Good grades, SAGirl.

Arcadian
12-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Was Bertans in the dog house? That's stupid if so. You don't punish a guy for defending his teammate.

99 Problems
12-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Appreciate the effort by whoever does the grades. Thanks people.

TrainOfThought5
12-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Was Bertans in the dog house? That's stupid if so. You don't punish a guy for defending his teammate.

Indeed. But Pop cant have guys out there Metta World Peacin it up.

koriwhat
12-07-2016, 06:31 PM
wtf is davis?

MI21
12-07-2016, 06:49 PM
Truth be told: I only selected this game bc it was in NBA TV... I now live in dallas and I only get games nationally televised. FSSW shows the Dallas games... the Spurs I have to watch in glitchy or laggy feeds unless they are on national TV.

I don't understand this. Someone who is a big enough fan to spend time on this website won't shell out a little bit of money to buy the online league pass. I'm confused.

tonight...you
12-07-2016, 07:00 PM
I don't understand this. Someone who is a big enough fan to spend time on this website won't shell out a little bit of money to buy the online league pass. I'm confused.
I refuse to pay when over half of the games are blacked out with LP in my area.
So screw them and screw that.

SAGirl
12-07-2016, 07:10 PM
What tonight you said. It's over $100 bucks and a lot of games are blacked out, including playoffs. I got it last season, but decided to spend my money somewhere else, this time. Cable is already a bunch. So no I passed LP this season, thank you.

Cry Havoc
12-07-2016, 07:23 PM
wtf is davis?

You fucking serious?

Bertans.

Cry Havoc
12-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the grades. :tu Pretty solid all the way around. That was a good win against a team that's under-performed but is loaded with talent.

MI21
12-07-2016, 08:44 PM
What tonight you said. It's over $100 bucks and a lot of games are blacked out, including playoffs. I got it last season, but decided to spend my money somewhere else, this time. Cable is already a bunch. So no I passed LP this season, thank you.

Wasn't aware of that. Still, $100 isn't that much even if you get half the games.

Seems strange that as an international subscriber I get every game of every team including play-offs for $350AU yet in the US there is nothing similar.

tonight...you
12-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Wasn't aware of that. Still, $100 isn't that much even if you get half the games.

Seems strange that as an international subscriber I get every game of every team including play-offs for $350AU yet in the US there is nothing similar.
To me, it's bullshit and I won't pay full price for less than half of what I'm promised. And I'm 700 miles away from SA! How shit is that?
I'll go the local bar with them satellite thingies. That works too.

GSH
12-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Always appreciate people who take the time to do grades and write up their reasoning.

One think I'll point out about Lap, and his numbers. In the opening 5 minutes or so, the starters couldn't hit water if they jumped out of a boat. In fact, the ONLY starter to make a shot in that opening stint was Lap. He didn't have any assists, because nobody made any shots - but he also didn't have any turnovers. When he left the game (along with the other four starters) his +/- was already a -9, even though it would be hard to say that a lot of that deficit was on him.

He also got put in for garbage time in the last 1:58 of the game (Spurs leading by 18), along with Forbes, Bertans, Anderson, and Simmons. That group got out-scored by 4 points in those last two meaningless minutes.

So he was -13 in that first 5 minutes and last two minutes, which is nearly all of the -15 that shows up on the stat sheet. I agree that "good things didn't happen" during those two stretches, but it would be hard to draw the conclusion that a lot of that was his fault. That's the reason I try to stay away from the +/-, because you really have to take the time to try and figure out HOW it happened.

I obviously don't have a key to the locker room, but I would guess that the Spurs coaches are fairly pleased with where he is right now. I don't want to argue about letter grades. Just pointing out that he's at least living up to expectations at this point.

cutewizard
12-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Good grades, great post!

More power!

Brazil
12-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Thanks girl ! Good read

koriwhat
12-07-2016, 09:46 PM
You fucking serious?

Bertans.

lmao! i guess i forgot his first name. i just call him bertans or bonners replacement.

spurs10
12-07-2016, 09:58 PM
:toast Thanks for the grades! I know Nico had a bad +/- but he scored in double digits and we were in need of every point. I think he shot around 80%. I'd grade him about even with the other starters not named Kawhi. I thought it was a good call giving credit to LMA for his defense despite his lack of scoring.

Ice009
12-07-2016, 11:22 PM
To me, it's bullshit and I won't pay full price for less than half of what I'm promised. And I'm 700 miles away from SA! How shit is that?
I'll go the local bar with them satellite thingies. That works too.

Can you guys somehow sign up for International League Pass (like MI21 and myself) with a VPN and then just use that in the US? Has anyone in the US looked into that? Does it work?

Amuseddaysleeper
12-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Thanks SAGirl! :tu

Spur|n|Austin
12-08-2016, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the write up and grades. Eye test alone makes me disagree with Nico's grade though; hell he even got the post game interview with Bill and Sean :)

SAGirl
12-08-2016, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the write up and grades. Eye test alone makes me disagree with Nico's grade though; hell he even got the post game interview with Bill and Sean :)
Just replying in general about Nico (to you and others who mentioned him). He scored efficiently and that was needed in this game, plus it saves his grade, but if not for that it would have been F. He fouled way too much, often unnecessarily, he couldn't keep track of Dunn or whoever he was guarding out of the paint, and struggled to set up the offense. A lot of his passes were kicked, and I do mean a lot of them. He forced things at times TO the ball with bad decisions, and had less assists than TO.

For a PG, I expected more. It wasn't as good as his Bucks or Pelicans game... bc I expect more, I would not single this game out as his best and if he wasn't for the efficient shooting night it would have been the worst Spur of the night. But hey that is my opinion. I appreciate other's opinions too.

Proxy
12-08-2016, 03:34 AM

r/nbastreams/ ....if you don't already go there. Reddit isn't completely worthless, they'll usually list a bunch of streams. Some HD, some shitty. Been able to find a decent stream for the games I've needed it for.

thanks for the grades

Phenomanul
12-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Good evaluation.... well thought out... SOLID. :tu

Tbh I was expecting a sonnet or a soliloquy for Kyle... maybe you are his muse, the universe knows it, destiny - it seems - played a hand in the coincidence of the pairing of your grading task and his above average performance, but Anderson doesn't know it yet...