PDA

View Full Version : Offense Needs To Be More Aldridge Oriented

TD 21
12-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Similar to last season, when it was more of a 1A and 1B between Leonard and him. Usage rates, last season/this season: Leonard 25.8/30.7, Aldridge 25.9/24.1. Some of this can be attributed to Leonard's increased free throw rate (30.6/39.9 ), but Aldridge's has slightly too (28.9/30.3) and even considering that, that's too big of a disparity.

You don't bring in a scorer of his magnitude, who was probably sold on something like a 1A and 1B role and who's energy and effort is clearly tied, in large part, to how involved he feels offensively (this is common; Duncan was the exception to the rule), only to damn near relegate him to Bosh of the '10-'14 Heat and Love of the '14-present Cavaliers status.

It was one game and an extreme example at that, but 8 shots in 30 minutes is unacceptable all the same and worse yet, part of what's becoming a disturbing trend.

TrainOfThought5
12-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Isnt he the second leading scorer, and second leading shottaker (by FGA) on the team? If he really wants to score more he needs to draw more fouls, which means more postups, and more rolling to the basket.

MaNu4Tres
12-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Similar to last season, when it was more of a 1A and 1B between Leonard and him. Usage rates, last season/this season: Leonard 25.8/30.7, Aldridge 25.9/24.1. Some of this can be attributed to Leonard's increased free throw rate (30.6/39.9 ), but Aldridge's has slightly too (28.9/30.3) and even considering that, that's too big of a disparity.

You don't bring in a scorer of his magnitude, who was probably sold on something like a 1A and 1B role and who's energy and effort is clearly tied, in large part, to how involved he feels offensively (this is common; Duncan was the exception to the rule), only to damn near relegate him to Bosh of the '10-'14 Heat and Love of the '14-present Cavaliers status.

It was one game and an extreme example at that, but 8 shots in 30 minutes is unacceptable all the same and worse yet, part of what's becoming a disturbing trend.

Like last year, Aldridge is starting the season slow because of the work he didn't put in the offseason. Like last year, once Aldridge loses his all of his pudgy offseason weight he will become more mobile. That in itself will help his scoring as he will be lighter on his feet -- which will make him more effective as a scorer because his foot work will be quicker and more crisp and he'll be able to beat his man more often in transition and seal him for an easy opportunity early in the possession.

Fans that haven't played the game don't realize how much even 10 lbs can effect your game.

A half a step makes a world of a difference, a full step even more.

Right now, Aldridge just isn't effective if he's going up against good size. His only way to score right now, with the ball, is by using his body to back his man up to create an advantageous situation for him to create space for his meh reverse pivot fadeaway. Once a big with size crowds him ( bc he can't make a strong move towards the rim right now), he really has no answer and he has to pass it back out and reset the offense. He just doesn't have a lot of tools outside of his Pick and Pop jumper when he's playing at a higher weight.

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Right now, Aldridge just isn't effective if he's going up against good size. His only way to score right now, with the ball, is by using his body to back his man up to create an advantageous situation for him to create space for his meh reverse pivot fadeaway. Once a big with size crowds him ( bc he can't make a strong move towards the rim right now), he really has no answer and he has to pass it back out and reset the offense. He just doesn't have a lot of tools outside of his Pick and Pop jumper when he's playing at a higher weight.

He has reverted to throwing the ball back to Danny who is forced to put the ball on the floor when defenders run him off the line before he has a chance to set his feet. At this point, he should just stick to pick-n-pops unless there is a mismatch.

TheGreatYacht
12-07-2016, 10:31 PM
Aldridge needs to be in an offense that doesn't have Laprovittola the scrub.

Every time they run a P&P, Nico continues to throw his bounce passes off defender's feet. There have had to have been at least 10 of those yesterday, and 4 of those within the same shot clock. Sean even laughed because they kept inbounding the ball due to kick balls.

Aldridge's scoring when Lapro starts:
@DAL - 5pts, 2/9 (22.2%)
vs WAS - 19pts, 8/14 (57.1%)
@MIN - 6pts, 3/8 (37.5%)

Aldridge's scoring when Mills starts:
vs NOP - 12pts, 4/13 (30.8%)
@UTA - 19pts, 7/13 (53.8%)
vs LAC - 19pts, 7/13 (53.8%)
vs HOU - 14pts, 5/15 (33.3%)

Aldridge's scoring when Parker starts:
@GSW - 26pts, 10/20 (50%)
@ SAC - 16pts, 5/13 (38.5%)
@ MIA - DNP
vs UTA - 21pts, 8/16 (50%)
vs DET - 14pts, 6/14 (42.9%)
@HOU - 16pts, 5/13 (38.5%)
vs MIA - 18pts, 8/14 (57.1%)
@ SAC - 21pts, 8/16 (50%)
@LAL - 23pts, 10/14 (71.4%)
@CHA - 23pts, 8/17 (47.1%)
@BOS - 10pts, 4/12 (33.3%)
@WAS - 24pts, 9/17 (52.9%)
vs ORL - 16pts, 7/12 (58.3%)
@MIL - 18pts, 7/14 (50%)

PopTheGOAT
12-07-2016, 11:24 PM
He's not efficient enough for 1B. Relies too much on his turn around jumper. He's faced away from the basket and has no idea what's happening on the court behind him. He gets doubled then turns into the double team, panics and turns it over. He's done a good job defensively, and he's a good second option, but he needs to play under the basket more.

Mnky
12-07-2016, 11:59 PM
He's coasting. He hustles for rebounds and team defense, so I'm not too worried as the spurs are just a couple games out of 1st in the west. GSW will slow down, with the minutes theyre playing, jump shooters always slow down. Spurs will kick it up, like every year, after the all-star break. Im not sure why this is still a surprise to people when Pop has never been concerned with the first half of the season. If we are going into the playoffs and Aldridge is still being a fatty, then I'll be concerned.

dabom
12-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Dude came in fat and you're blaming the team. Stupid fuck. :lmao

MaNu4Tres
12-08-2016, 08:20 AM
He's not efficient enough for 1B. Relies too much on his turn around jumper. He's faced away from the basket and has no idea what's happening on the court behind him. He gets doubled then turns into the double team, panics and turns it over. He's done a good job defensively, and he's a good second option, but he needs to play under the basket more.

One aspect I wish Aldridge had in his game is a face up game from the triple threat position from about 12-15 feet out whenever 4 down is called. Tim used to be a monster with it back in the first 5 years of his career.

A series of jab steps, and he can take the jumper or he can give the overcommitting D a pump fake and draw the foul, or put it on the floor and go at the rim aggressively. Plus, in this aspect, Aldridge would be able to see the whole floor infront of him.

How Aldridge doesn't have this in his game boggles my mind. I've never seen him even try to face his man up from 4 down. He is way too predictable to ever be highly effective in 4 down, losing another 10 lbs would help him though.

Chinook
12-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Of course it does.

NameLess Scrub
12-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Like last year, Aldridge is starting the season slow because of the work he didn't put in the offseason. Like last year, once Aldridge loses his all of his pudgy offseason weight he will become more mobile. That in itself will help his scoring as he will be lighter on his feet -- which will make him more effective as a scorer because his foot work will be quicker and more crisp and he'll be able to beat his man more often in transition and seal him for an easy opportunity early in the possession.

Fans that haven't played the game don't realize how much even 10 lbs can effect your game.

Which is why I'm constantly irritated at him for being chubby.

He doesn't even need to be a cyborg like Kawhi, just take some time to enjoy then get in shape so you can do your job of playing a friggin game for millions and millions of dollars.

Also, 10 or 20 lbs are going to hurt more now that he's over 30. He could shortened his career if he's not disciplined.

I hope it happens that he gets in better shape and takes some load off Kawhi plus improves the overall performance of the team.

$pursDynasty
12-08-2016, 09:42 AM
This needs to be the case for no better reason than you can't expect the Kingslayer to be the number one option and carry the team on offense AND be the DPOY lock down defender on the opposing teams best scoring threat. While I love Kiwi's evolution of his game, unless he becomes a Lebron level scorer, to where his offense can carry the team and he can pick and choose when to be a lock down defender, the Spurs work best when he is the third best scoring option but focusing hard on locking the other teams top player down. We need the Ltrain to step up and if we could count on another player being a dependable 20 points a night. Tony has been oft injured and Patty has been streaky but maybe a combination of them both, who knows.

TD 21
12-08-2016, 04:42 PM

That explains, at least in part, why he's struggling, but I don't buy that that's why the offense has moved away from him. It just happened organically and specifically because Leonard has decided to take on an even bigger role.

I blame Pop too, who seems to be calling Aldridge's number less. He gets most of his touches in the flow of the offense, not off of specific plays for him.

To even pretend to have a chance to win the championship, they need the fully realized version of Aldridge. He's the one with the most room for internal improvement.

Joseph Kony
12-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Aldridge was so efficient last season iirc, he has really taken a dip so far this year, but I agree the offense needs to run through him more as he is easily the best scorer outside of Kawhi. Offense should run through him to begin games, he needs to get in a rhythm whereas Kawhi has been good about picking his spots and taking over the 4th quarter. Spurs need to feed Aldridge to begin more imo

apalisoc_9
12-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Of course hes touches is going to diminish. He's playing with Pau Gasol..Anyone expecting his touches would have stayed the same is fooling themsleves.

Last year, the ball handlers almost never posted up Timmy and run a pick and pop with him. This year, Pau is heavy on Offense. He's had a ton of games this year when he had the highest usage. Timmy never had those days.

apalisoc_9
12-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Gasol just doesbt fit well with Aldridge offensively. The Former is also better at running offenses with Leonard and Parker...so the result is a significant hit on his usage and shot numbers. Leonard and Parker have been running the same Pick and screen numbers with Gasol....

I imagine both players even prefer doing with Gasol. For instance last night? Kawhi heat up in the second quarter, exclusively asking for Gasol screens.. .

wildbill2u
12-08-2016, 06:21 PM
he's playig too passively at times. With his skills and size he should be working for his shot every time they get him the ball.

Spurs_619
12-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Of course it does.

def need less parker and gasol on offense more LMA.

DAF86
12-08-2016, 06:42 PM
The lack of shots is all on Aldridge. In many instances of the game the Spurs just run equal chances sets where the ball is constant movement and whoever is in the best position gets to shoot. That's like half of the attempts Kawhi gets: him just being agressive and playing with a purpose to make things happen. Aldridge is just lazily going through the motions, so unless he gets a specific play called for him he doesn't even look at the basket. He needs to wake the fuck up and start doing what he did on the second half of last season, run the break hard to establish good position on the low block, attack the basket instead of shooting a lazy jumper or passing it to the next guy without even looking at the basket, etc.

Nathan89
12-08-2016, 11:53 PM
This lousy fuck can't even make wide open shots.

Also he gets his shots in the flow of the offense because giving it to him isn't good offense. He has no balance in his game. The end result because he can't dribble or pass very well is a difficult shot from him.

Spur|n|Austin
12-08-2016, 11:59 PM
How about more oriented on a different team? His lackadaisical flabby ways should be in Phoenix.

Capt Bringdown
12-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Yeah, the Spurs need more bigs shooting fade-away outside shots.

apalisoc_9
12-09-2016, 12:18 AM
Theoretically the OP makes sense...

But if you add the softness factor and his tendency to fade away. It starts to make little sense.

dabom
12-09-2016, 12:29 AM
Theoretically the OP makes sense...

But if you add the softness factor and his tendency to fade away. It starts to make little sense.

:lol

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2016, 12:37 AM
I don't mind the missed open jump shots, because that's inevitable with jump shooters..I've grown to really hate when he passes the ball out of the post against 1 on 1 defense, though..it's occurring way too frequently..

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 12:40 AM
I don't mind the missed open jump shots, because that's inevitable with jump shooters..I've grown to really hate when he passes the ball out of the post against 1 on 1 defense, though..it's occurring way too frequently..

He has no moves or the foot speed to implement any footwork inside. It's body up, body up, reverse pivot fadeaway and if its not there he passes it back out -- which is more than 50% of the time.

Perhaps he'd be in better shape, lighter on his feet and more confident if he put in the work this off-season. Lol that wasn't happening though.

itzsoweezee
12-09-2016, 12:42 AM
How about more oriented on a different team? His lackadaisical flabby ways should be in Phoenix.

The fact that he was so interested in that scrubby team should have been a big warning sign

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2016, 12:43 AM
He has no moves or the foot speed to implement any footwork inside. It's body up, body up, reverse pivot fadeaway and if its not there he passes it back out -- which is more than 50% of the time.

Perhaps he'd be more in shape, lighter on his feet and more confident had he put in the work this off-season. Lol that wasn't happening though.

Yep, I called this last season, at the time, when I was "hating"(from the same people that criticized me for stating that Parker was clearly overweight in 2014-2015:lol)..it was evident that he entered that season noticeably out of shape..

There was a clear difference in his game during the 2nd half of the year, though, once he shed a few pounds..he stopped passing it out with the shot clock winding down on every other play, and actually went to work(which led to a dominant 2nd half of the season)..

Hopefully this year is the same..

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 12:48 AM
Yep, I called this last season, at the time, when I was "hating"(from the same people that criticized me for stating that Parker was clearly overweight in 2014-2015:lol)..it was evident that he entered that season noticeably out of shape..

There was a clear difference in his game during the 2nd half of the year, though, once he shed a few pounds..he stopped passing it out with the shot clock winding down on every other play, and actually went to work(which led to a dominant 2nd half of the season)..

Hopefully this year is the same..

Oh I remember, I was one of the ones who pointed out Tony Parkers weight gain too.

apalisoc_9
12-09-2016, 12:49 AM
Damn, not the ops best thread. Made himself a target to idiots like benegaytor.

Splits
12-09-2016, 01:07 AM
Jesus fuck somebody please pink OP. He's got to be the stupidest poster on this forum.

Jesus.

Fuck.

YGWHI
12-09-2016, 02:12 AM
It just happened organically and specifically because Leonard has decided to take on an even bigger role.

Sure, it's Kawhi's fault that LMA struggles that bad, right? 5-15....15 FGAs...I guess they gave him plenty opportunities in tonight game to get hot.

I blame Pop too, who seems to be calling Aldridge's number less. He gets most of his touches in the flow of the offense, not off of specific plays for him.
Sometimes I wonder if you're blind.

In the last games they did a huge effort to involve LMA early in the game, in fact Kawhi took only 1 shot in the 1st quarter in Minny to help to establish LMA early, almost the same with tonight game.

They went to LMA more in the first half of last 3 games, not only to involve him more but also because he was the Spur with the clear favorable matchup over Tabj, and Jabari Parker...But LMA couldn't hit an ocean in those games.

cd021
12-09-2016, 03:02 AM
He's shooting less but flat out missing open looks that could get him going on offense. Without those pick and pops he seems to just running through the motions on offense.

Defensively, he's been solid though.

He's fitting in rather than "fitting out" to quote Lebron. We need the January -May 2016 LMAlpha

SAGirl
12-09-2016, 07:15 AM
He's not looking good but the Spurs may head into a losing streak if this dude doesn't get it together bc it can't just be Kiwi and assorted roleplayers out there very night....

r0drig0lac
12-09-2016, 07:28 AM
Yeah, the Spurs need more bigs shooting fade-away outside shots.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smibang.gif

superbigtime
12-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Aldridge needs to unfuck himself. What's really wrong? Girl trouble maybe.

robert1886
12-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Dude keeps missing wide open shots , his midrange shot hasn't been consistent because he still unsure at times in figuring out to shoot or not

kaji157
12-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Reality is, if the Spurs donīt get this guy involved in their offense and going they are fucked.

Russo21
12-09-2016, 12:45 PM
Aldridge has to be option 1 on offense. Not Kawhi. He can average 26ppg if he wants. Pop has to give Aldridge the green light and put Leonard back in a lesser role so he can once again terrify teams on defense but still have a role within the offense.

Parker needs to be benched and Manu needs to move back in the rotation. Dedmon sbould be starting and Gasol should be coming off the bench.

Dedmon
Aldridge
Kawhi

Great defensive front court. Great offensive front court to. Pop needs to give the reigns to Aldridge. If not then he should look into trading both LMA and Gasol

DMC
12-09-2016, 01:12 PM
LMA is one of those guys who relies on his talents instead of his work ethic. He's genetically gifted, and he can shoot the ball with good consistency. If he had real work ethic like a professional should, he'd be a beast but then so would a lot of other genetically entitled cruisers. That's why the list of greats is so short.

TD 21
12-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Reality is, if the Spurs donīt get this guy involved in their offense and going they are fucked.

Who needs common sense?

Reality is, they're fucked either way, mainly because of the lack of a dynamic guard. But their best chance to max out on their potential is to have a dominant 1-2 punch, like they did from last January on.

Obviously, as Pop said, one has to participate in their own recovery, but as a big, he's reliant on others to get him the ball.