PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Davis: Wants to Buy Out Contract

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 04:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-ntonioavisantstouyut&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

Update: Davis, who was traded to New York along with Eddy Curry, wants the Knicks to buy out his contract, the New York Post reports.

Recommendation: "I don't want to stand in his way if he doesn't feel comfortable," coach Larry Brown said of Davis. "I'd be disappointed. But you don't want somebody who doesn't want to be here. If it's not in his best interests, we'll move on." Davis is set to make $13.7 million this season, which is the final year of his contract. Chicago is expected to sign Davis, if the Knicks buy out the contract.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Chicago is expected to sign Davis, if the Knicks buy out the contract.
I thought you weren't allowed to do that under the new CBA.

Horry For 3!
10-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I have no idea but looks like Antonio wants to go back to Chicago.

ducks
10-08-2005, 05:30 PM
this was the reason the trade took longer
if you read the article it mention the knicks would waive davis

JMarkJohns
10-08-2005, 05:47 PM

From the ESPN Insider article on the new CBA...

1. ...Players who are traded and then waived by their new team cannot sign back with the team that traded them for 30 days (20 days in the offseason).
Example: Gary Payton, you'll recall, was dealt from Boston to Atlanta in the Antoine Walker trade-deadline swap in February, only to rejoin the Celtics three days later. Had this rule been in place last season, Payton still would have been eligible for the playoffs after Atlanta released him March 1, but he would have been forced to wait until March 31 to re-sign with Boston.

I was of the same line of thought, until I did research. Seems the rule is meant to discourage this during the late-season swapping, but not much else.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks JMJ. Lots of teeth in that CBA. Nice to know the league has priorities. :rolleyes

JMarkJohns
10-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Yeah. So a player gets a month off. I'm sure he's really upset considering he was prolly just bought out of a million dollar contract and is now able to sign whereever he wants for whatever they'e willing to pay.

20/30 days off... It should be for a minimum of sixth months or better yet, not at all once the season starts.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Or perhaps don't allow the trading team to re-sign them at all that season. Why even bother to have a rule saying the salaries have to line up if the teams can get around it that way? I don't like the idea that a trading team can say "Hey if you refuse to show up, they'll buy you out and we'll re-sign you." I also think it's retarded of a team to buy out a player. They should say "If you are that determined to go somewhere else, then you are welcome to opt out of your contract."

JMarkJohns
10-10-2005, 06:49 PM
basically agreed.