PDA

View Full Version : Is Patty Mills a decent return on investment?

Sfan
12-09-2016, 03:30 AM
As a downunder Spurs fan I am curious about people's views on his value to the spurs organization. I see in 2016-17, Mills will earn a base salary of $3,245,614 and a incentive bonus of $333,333. i assume he will get a pay rise next year and I think it will be interesting how it plays out as a backup PG next season. The Spurs get a lot of PR in OZ due to him being on the team and you see quite a few spurs playing singlets so he must be worth a few dollars in merchandise.

Robz4000
12-09-2016, 03:33 AM
They'll offer him somewhere in the range of $35-$45mil over 4 years in the offseason. Up to him whether he takes it or not; they can't afford to go higher and still put a team together that can even feign being a contender.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2016, 03:34 AM
I don't know about off the court, but there aren't many players league-wide that have produced more on the court in relation to their salary..only Lou Williams has been clearly better off the bench, so far..

apalisoc_9
12-09-2016, 03:38 AM
Mills is worth about 8-12 a year...anything more than that and they have to move away from him. I love paddy...but 12 million a year for a energizer scorer is too much.

Ice009
12-09-2016, 03:45 AM
I'd give him 10 max. Ideally I'd like to go 8 or 9, but he'll get much better offers so I'm not sure if it's even worth asking him.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2016, 03:49 AM
Austin Rivers just got 11 mil per year(granted, it was from his father:lol)..Patty needs to fire his agent if he gets anything less:lol

DeRozan m8
12-09-2016, 03:57 AM
Sfan, where in Oz are you?

Sfan
12-09-2016, 04:47 AM
Sydney. I have an international pass and watch all the games. Plus we get a few on local PayTV

Raven
12-09-2016, 05:04 AM
They'll offer him somewhere in the range of $35-$45mil over 4 years in the offseason. Up to him whether he takes it or not; they can't afford to go higher and still put a team together that can even feign being a contender.

this

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2016, 05:05 AM
Austin Rivers just got 11 mil per year(granted, it was from his father:lol)..Patty needs to fire his agent if he gets anything less:lol

Delly on got 10 mill.:lol

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2016, 05:06 AM

I'm pretty sure the Kings will offer him 4yr/60mill.:lol

Robz4000
12-09-2016, 05:28 AM
I'm pretty sure the Kings will offer him 4yr/60mill.:lol

Then I hope Patty enjoys Sacramento

benfti
12-09-2016, 07:28 AM
He will stay a spur as long as the offer is close to competitive. You can take that to the bank, he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

elemento
12-09-2016, 07:32 AM
Delly on got 10 mill.:lol

And Bayless got 9m :lol

Patty will get at least 10m.

Chinook
12-09-2016, 07:36 AM
He will stay a spur as long as the offer is close to competitive. You can take that to the bank, he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

Seemed to imply that he's willing to leave to be a starter somewhere. So how the team sees him fitting going forward may be a big key to this.

cd021
12-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Seemed to imply that he's willing to leave to be a starter somewhere. So how the team sees him fitting going forward may be a big key to this.

I expect him to return and maybe even start if Parker is willing to move to the bench to try and extend his career. Otherwise I could Pop straight up splitting minutes evenly between the two for the most part plus the Parker rest injury game

baseline bum
12-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Mills is pulling $12-$15 million a year this offseason, probably closer to $15 million.

cd021
12-09-2016, 08:08 AM
I could see him getting 4 years, $50 million fairly easily. On the other hand, most teams already have a solid pg or have drafted one in recent seasons so there may not be but only a couple of teams interesting in paying him $10+ million.

Spurs should absolutely keep him; Parker's contract expires after next season so the whole "paying two PG's 12+ million thing would only last for one season". I think the vet. min is supposed to sky rocket with the new cba, so maybe that could be an option for Parker or something in that $ range

Harry Callahan
12-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Patty can be a quality player - starter or preferably off the bench to keep it humming for the next 4-5 years during KL's prime. He needs to stay. A lot of the high dollar contracts can be off the books after next year.

The Spurs need to draft well to get a new starting or rotation point guard and go buy a quality big to help out Kawhi in the future.

Manu and Tony get paid $15 a year each right now and LMA has a $20+ salary that could also go away at the end of next year.

This roster has to get younger and more athletic as it moves through Kawhi's prime years.

Having Patty, Danny Green, and Kawhi around is a good start to moving into the next phase of the Spurs. Rebuild on the run.

MultiTroll
12-09-2016, 11:12 AM
A large reason why 'Cakes shooting % is down, is the Spurs confusing discomboomerated offensive strategy often times leaves him with the ball having to chuck up a shot before the shot clock goes off.

cjw
12-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Money isn't going to be flying around to the same degree as last offseason. Mentioned it elsewhere, but there are only ~5 teams with $10+ million of cap space though number will likely increase heading into the summer. There will still be some overpays, but don't think last summer's salaries are a good barometer of where similar free agents get paid. Probably a 10% haircut to those levels.

Splits
12-09-2016, 01:15 PM
A large reason why 'Cakes shooting % is down, is the Spurs confusing discomboomerated offensive strategy often times leaves him with the ball having to chuck up a shot before the shot clock goes off.

wut?

He's 5th in the league in TS% :lol

DPG21920
12-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Mills wants to be a starter. For as good of a teammate as he has been, that really surprised me. He didn't mince words and was pretty direct about starting being really high on the priority list.

I don't want Mills as a starter.

Joseph Kony
12-09-2016, 02:39 PM
if tyler fucking johnson got 50 million, Patty is gonna get 55+ easily

DPG21920
12-09-2016, 02:40 PM
if tyler fucking johnson got 50 million, Patty is gonna get 55+ easily

Tyler Johnson is a better player than Mills, but yeah, he's going to get paid a healthy amount. Don't know if anyone will view him as a starter though.

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Spurs are better off just trading Mills at the deadline for a late 1st rounder to a delusional playoff team that has high hopes.

Mills isn't a player that will make or break the season, even if Parker is very inconsistent. He's an outlier.

The draft is loaded with a lot of good PG prospects. Having two picks can be used to trade up for a PG they really like (if they have to trade up that is).

I'm one who prefers this scenario, because I think it would be a bad decision to pay him 11-13 mil per. I don't think it's wise to hold on to him until the 1st or 2nd round exit, and then lose him for nothing.

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2016, 02:45 PM
Mills is pulling $12-$15 million a year this offseason, probably closer to $15 million.

I would try to move Pau/Patty for a starting PG & a backup big. The only team that would probably do a straight up trade are the Pacers who are probably trying to shake things up themselves but Teague+Al Jefferson's cancerous contract is not going to move the needle.:lol

At this point, it's Pau/Kyle/Murray for Dragic or bust.:depressed

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Spurs are better off just trading Mills at the deadline for a late 1st rounder to a delusional playoff team that has high hopes.

Mills isn't a player that will make or break the season, even if Parker is very inconsistent.

The draft is loaded with a lot of good PG prospects. Having two picks can be used to trade up for a PG they really like (if they have to trade up that is).

There is no way PATFO are going to move Patty for draft picks when Porker is out on his feet & Leprosy/Murray are next on the depth chart. That would basically be a tanking move considering Patty has been the second best player on the team.:lol

In any case, I'm pretty sure the Grizz would swap Patty for Wade Baldwin....they might even throw in Deyonta Davis.:lol

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 02:53 PM
There is no way PATFO are going to move Patty for draft picks when Porker is out on his feet & Leprosy/Murray are next on the depth chart. That would basically be a tanking move considering Patty has been the second best player on the team.:lol

In any case, I'm pretty sure the Grizz would swap Patty for Wade Baldwin.

I actually think Nico is a decent/solid back up PG right now (solid doesn't mean great).. he's the same ilk as Prigioni. Sure Mills is better, but the difference between Mills and Lapro isn't going to change things really. There's more important glaring issues that will keep this teams ceiling as a 2nd round team and Mills/ Lapro have nothing to do with that.

Regarding Mills for Baldwin hypothetical, I'd rather have the Spurs get the pick(s) and hand pick their guys.

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2016, 03:06 PM
I actually think Nico is a back up PG right now.

:pop:"We have to limit our play-calls b/c of all the new guys but you want me to trade my best point guard?":wakeup

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 03:12 PM
:pop:"We have to limit our play-calls b/c of all the new guys but you want me to trade my best point guard?":wakeup

He's not a point guard, he's the the most effective 6'2" and under guard on the roster though and he has an expiring contract coming up in 6 months. He's been known to have great contract yrs and allocating anything north of 9 million for a 5'11" shooter who has elite stamina won't be wise.

Do you squeeze everything thing out of him to maybe get 2 games instead of 1 vs. the Clippers or do you flip him at the deadline for a 1st rounder and a prospect and live with getting 1 win vs. the Clippers with Nico/ Murray as the back up PG options for 6 months?

And if you're really worried about Parkers health, just sign Chalmers or Norris Cole for the minimum for insurance.

apalisoc_9
12-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Who can we possibly get for Mills, Softridge, Kyle, simmons?

I imagine those are the only guys that PATFO is willing to trade that has some sort of value.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2016, 03:31 PM

I imagine those are the only guys that PATFO is willing to trade that has some sort of value.

Aldridge, Patty and Simmons for Cousins, Collison and Temple:lol

spursistan
12-09-2016, 03:39 PM
It boils down to this: They won't get back to contention without making another (probably more) bold move..they haven't done so since trading G. Hill for what became Kawhi Leonard....

You are going to bite the bullet in some way..I may understand they can't do it for Manu/TP, but there is no reason to not explore it for the rest of roster beginning from next trade deadline..

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 03:47 PM

As much as I love Danny, I'd throw him in there as well.

He's been great in his role as a Spur since 2012 and still is very good, but he peaked 2 years ago and is heading on the wrong side of 30 soon ( it's downhill from here).

I think they have to start thinking about possibly putting him out there to see what they can possibly get in return.

bklynspursfan
12-09-2016, 03:51 PM

He's been great in his role as a Spur since 2012 and still is very good, but he peaked 2 years ago and is heading on the wrong side of 30 soon ( it's downhill from here).

I think they have to start thinking about possibly putting him out there to see what they can possibly get in return.

If Simmons could hit the 3, I think it'd make the decision for that a bit easier.

I do wonder if they feel committed to him, he did kind of give a discount to re-sign.

dabom
12-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Trade your second best player. :lmao

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Got to love the idiots who provide nothing but smileys to the discussion.

Keep raising the bar.

dabom
12-09-2016, 04:06 PM
"Blow it up" :lmao

Faggots. :lmao

Like it's ever gonna happen but you still talk about it. :lmao

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Aldridge, Patty and Simmons for Cousins, Collison and Temple:lol

Cousins will NEVER wear a Spurs uniform as long as Pop is around.:wakeup

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2016, 05:47 PM
He's not a point guard, he's the the most effective 6'2" and under guard on the roster though and he has an expiring contract coming up in 6 months. He's been known to have great contract yrs and allocating anything north of 9 million for a 5'11" shooter who has elite stamina won't be wise.

Do you squeeze everything thing out of him to maybe get 2 games instead of 1 vs. the Clippers or do you flip him at the deadline for a 1st rounder and a prospect and live with getting 1 win vs. the Clippers with Nico/ Murray as the back up PG options for 6 months?

And if you're really worried about Parkers health, just sign Chalmers or Norris Cole for the minimum for insurance.

If PATFO were ready to move on & re-tool w/ young guys then they wouldn't have signed 37 year old Pau to keep the ship sailing. It's not like they didn't known Porker/Manu were TOSB.:lol

Tim's retirement would actually have been a credible excuse for breaking it up & rebuilding similar to what the Blazers did when Softridge left town. The past two off-season remind me of '09 (Softridge/Dick Jefferson) & '10 (AARP Pau/McDyess) moves occurred. Softridge is an enigma just like Dick & Pau is TOSB just like McDyess but playing over a younger center (Shitter/Deadman). The current squad is also a fluky 60 win team just like the '10-'11 squad, heavily reliant on one guy (Manu/Kawhi).

Maybe Danny gets moved for a late lotto pick (Terrance Ferguson*Simmons can start*) & Pau retires while under contract ala McDyess after he got roasted by Z-Bo.:lol (Jazz are the modern version of the '11 Grizz & they would be the Spurs 1st rd opponent::wow)

F0BNAcxTF5o

JohnnyMax
12-09-2016, 06:08 PM
What does PAFTO mean?

dabom
12-09-2016, 06:25 PM
What does PAFTO mean?

:lmao

SAGirl
12-09-2016, 06:41 PM
What does PAFTO mean?
Pop
And
The
Front
Office

JohnnyMax
12-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Pop
And
The
Front
Office

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cm_z22PzAz8/V-yGdaxSCTI/AAAAAAAAnWA/Rc526EMfqwQj7HCkpRY16JeJ7jmwmIYcACLcB/s280/1424700079052465808.gif

cd021
12-09-2016, 08:08 PM

Think the trade Patty ship has sailed. Said that the Spurs should have moved him for a second 1st rounder or two high seconds but they didn't.

I would much rather keep him now given how well he's played. I don't know if Murray will be a top 10 rotation player until year 3 and Mills give the Spurs options until then.

FkLA
12-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Mills wants to be a starter. For as good of a teammate as he has been, that really surprised me. He didn't mince words and was pretty direct about starting being really high on the priority list.

I don't want Mills as a starter.

Sitting behind a player that has been absolute garbage for the majority of the last 3 years can be tiring. Even for a team-first guy like Paddy. Must be frustrating as hell to know that playing time isn't determined by who performs better.

FkLA
12-09-2016, 09:18 PM

Mills isn't a player that will make or break the season, even if Parker is very inconsistent. He's an outlier.

I'm one who prefers this scenario, because I think it would be a bad decision to pay him 11-13 mil per. I don't think it's wise to hold on to him until the 1st or 2nd round exit, and then lose him for nothing.

You are always looking to trade everybody, brah. The Spurs would be Kawhi+14 new players by mid-season if you were the GM. :lol

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 09:44 PM
You are always looking to trade everybody, brah. The Spurs would be Kawhi+14 new players by mid-season if you were the GM. :lol

Just because I think everyone but Kawhi should be on the table doesn't mean I'm saying everyone needs to be traded. There's a difference in the two. If you can't comprehend that perhaps you should read more.

MaNu4Tres
12-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Think the trade Patty ship has sailed. Said that the Spurs should have moved him for a second 1st rounder or two high seconds but they didn't.

I would much rather keep him now given how well he's played. I don't know if Murray will be a top 10 rotation player until year 3 and Mills give the Spurs options until then.

It may have sailed. We don't know that yet. But I'm allowed to convey my opinion on the matter and I think they should look into it at the deadline.

The thing is, they may have tried this off-season, but we don't know that. There's a lot of times teams try to accomplish certain moves and are unable to because no team is willing to accept a trade the Spurs are proposing. Just because nothing happens, doesn't mean they didn't make any offers or didn't try. The same thing applies at the deadline, they could be trying to make certain moves but end up holding off because the other team isn't willing to give up what the Spurs prefer.

That's why I find it hilarious when idiots on this site think Spurs aren't trying to do anything because no results or trades are happening. It takes two teams to really like a deal for it to materialize, its very hard to accomplish -- especially in todays NBA when GMs are smarter.

Down Under
12-10-2016, 12:14 AM
He's gone unfortunately. This is his one contract and with more teams paying attention to advanced stats and Patty having the best season of his career he's going to get offered a ridiculous amount (close to $15m/Year). As loyal as he is, it's gonna be impossible to turn down.

myhc
12-10-2016, 01:37 AM
Just because I think everyone but Kawhi should be on the table doesn't mean I'm saying everyone needs to be traded. There's a difference in the two. If you can't comprehend that perhaps you should read more.

You sound like my dad who happens to be a lawyer who harps on the differences between synonyms to win an argument. In my ignorant feeble mind the differences between "need" and "should" and the differences between "I think" and "I'm saying" are minimal. The intent in the context of conversation is the same. Like if I heard a doctor tell my mom "I think you should get your ovaries removed.......but I'm not saying you need to get them removed" would be incredibly confusing and I would ask for a clarification. And then ask for a new doctor.

DenialTwist
12-10-2016, 04:49 AM
It doesn't matter if he is a decent return or not because the Spurs can't keep him next season with Parker and Gasol's BIG contract on the books. They have to hope Gasol opts out because we are going to watch Mills leave for greener pastures. He deserves more playing time. Pop wants Parker to be a starter until he is 40. Maybe by then Murray will be ready to start lol

benfti
12-10-2016, 06:05 AM

YOU. ARE. ON. CRACK

DrSteffo
12-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Mills is a fantastic second pg but a below average starting pg. I like him though and hope we keep him.

cutewizard
12-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Can we release Forbes and get another good player somewhere?

cutewizard
12-10-2016, 10:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCML17owzbI

cutewizard
12-10-2016, 10:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rfZQ6K-ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1be8haPD0PQ

cd021
12-10-2016, 03:43 PM
He's gone unfortunately. This is his one contract and with more teams paying attention to advanced stats and Patty having the best season of his career he's going to get offered a ridiculous amount (close to $15m/Year). As loyal as he is, it's gonna be impossible to turn down.

Pg is the deepest position in the league and many teams have already used up a bunch of cap space last off season only to find out that the cap is going significantly less than they initially thought. Spurs have his bird rights and can make a competitive offer plus there is the incentive of no state tax which factors in. Philly makes some sense but I'd be surprised if he wasn't back next season.

cd021
12-10-2016, 04:12 PM
It doesn't matter if he is a decent return or not because the Spurs can't keep him next season with Parker and Gasol's BIG contract on the books. They have to hope Gasol opts out because we are going to watch Mills leave for greener pastures. He deserves more playing time. Pop wants Parker to be a starter until he is 40. Maybe by then Murray will be ready to start lol
Parker and Gasol one for one more season
For one year, paying Parker, Gasol and Mills shouldn't be that big of a deal. Mills is arguably the second best player on the team, right now, even if he doesn't start he's been getting an increasingly larger share of minutes at PG season to season. Next season he could very well play more minutes per game than Parker while coming off the bench.

I don't think that it's crazy to think that Parker may move to the bench next season anyway, he'll be 35 and entering his 17th season (19th when adding playoff games). It would create another issue of bench shooting or lack thereof though; Parker, Simmons, Murray, Anderson, all aren't particularly great shooters from outside or are low volume shooters who don't scare defenses. Bertans is the only bench player (projected to be on next years team) that can actually shoot.

I'd doubt Pau opts out unless he wants to play another year afterward. the Spurs could offer him a two year deal then, while saving some cash this season but I think he'll play out the last year of his deal.

SAGirl
12-10-2016, 04:22 PM
Parker and Gasol one for one more season
For one year, paying Parker, Gasol and Mills shouldn't be that big of a deal. Mills is arguably the second best player on the team, right now, even if he doesn't start he's been getting an increasingly larger share of minutes at PG season to season. Next season he could very well play more minutes per game than Parker while coming off the bench.

I don't think that it's crazy to think that Parker may move to the bench next season anyway, he'll be 35 and entering his 17th season (19th when adding playoff games). It would create another issue of bench shooting or lack thereof though; Parker, Simmons, Murray, Anderson, all aren't particularly great shooters from outside or are low volume shooters who don't scare defenses. Bertans is the only bench player (projected to be on next years team) that can actually shoot.

I'd doubt Pau opts out unless he wants to play another year afterward. the Spurs could offer him a two year deal then, while saving some cash this season but I think he'll play out the last year of his deal.
I would not assume Simmons is in the team next season... specially if he doesn't make improvements in his shooting. His issue is not reluctance to shoot. His issue is that he's resembling Tony Allen. He can't shoot, just can't. It really depends on postseason performance, but I would prefer Spurs keep Mills and I think they intend to prioritize Mills, but this is speculation of course.

Down Under
12-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Pg is the deepest position in the league and many teams have already used up a bunch of cap space last off season only to find out that the cap is going significantly less than they initially thought. Spurs have his bird rights and can make a competitive offer plus there is the incentive of no state tax which factors in. Philly makes some sense but I'd be surprised if he wasn't back next season.
:tu Hope you're right. Just get the sense he will be chased even harder because of all the intangibles Spurs players are perceived to bring to other teams. I suppose another thing is, he changed from an iso hit and miss guy at St. Mary's and Portland into a key cog of one of the most dynamic bench's in NBA history with ridiculous ball & player movement and shooting.

cd021
12-10-2016, 07:07 PM
I would not assume Simmons is in the team next season... specially if he doesn't make improvements in his shooting. His issue is not reluctance to shoot. His issue is that he's resembling Tony Allen. He can't shoot, just can't. It really depends on postseason performance, but I would prefer Spurs keep Mills and I think they intend to prioritize Mills, but this is speculation of course.

I don't love the Tony Allen comparison. Allen's an excellent defender who is an awful shooter. He can dribble a little bit and could get the rim because teams ignored him but I barely watch Memphis play and he still has missed the most makeable layups of any player I've ever watched.

Simmons on the other hand can finish at the rim, can create off the dribble for himself and others, pretty good defensively (though he'll often make a mistake and then try and make a spectacular play to redeem himself)
I said repeatedly that I wasn't convinced he was a 3pt threat and hoped he would increase his volume to force teams to do a hard close out ( which would make it easier for him to drive past them)
His 3pt rate was 19% last year but hit 38%3pt. He was very selective in shooting 3's and hit the ones he took at an above average clip (similar to Parker). This season I think after the GSW game he went into a slump and now he's stopped taking them almost all together.

I think he'll be back, his biggest issue right now is his 3pt shooting and its not like his shot is broken, I think/hope he is still working on that aspect of his game. Spurs also have no one in the wings ready to take the backup SG spot if Manu retires after this season so I think that will strongly factor in to it too.

SAGirl
12-10-2016, 07:34 PM
He's missing pretty much all sorts of jumpshots including from the midrange. I think he's just not a good jump shooter. He still passes up a lot of shots from 3.

Anyways, the point is I think they prioritize Mills.

Ice009
12-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Simmons doesn't want to shoot the ball. Really pisses me off because if I had his body and athleticism to go with my Jumpshot, I'd be a darn good player. He's scared to shoot and doesn't want to shoot. Can't have players passing up wide open shots. If he's doing that in the regular season, we're fucked in the playoffs. He'll likely piss his pants and pass up every shot.

OrEmuN
12-13-2016, 01:18 AM
I think there is a good chance that Mills will stay.
Maybe 8-10millon per year.

There is a chance someone will give a higher offer.
But if Mills look at Boban and think, he may want to stay.

He will see a future where he can start after Parker has retired