PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Trinity: 3 Teams, 3 trade proposals, 3 players

Kawhitstorm
12-10-2016, 03:56 PM
#1) Swap Softridge for Millsap (**Softridge has worn out his welcome**)

#2) Three team trade to acquire Dragic:
-Spurs ship out Pau (Boston**gives them a post-up threat**), Kyle/Murray (Heat**Recoup the two 1st rd picks they traded for Dragic**)
-Celtics send Smart/Amir Johnson to the Heat
-Heat send Dragic/McRobert (**Poison Pill**) to the Spurs & Waiters (can replace Smart along w/ Rozier) to the Celtics

#3) Trade Patty for a backup Center
-Patty to the Sixers (**Can be re-signed to mentor & play alongside his country man: Simmons**)
-Len (didn't get rookie extension) to the Spurs
-Sixers send two 2nd rd picks to the Suns (**have enough young guys to draft & stash prospects**)

So,

Dedmon/Len
Millsap/Lee/Bertans/McBob(**Lee's insurance**)
Kawhi/Simmons
Danny/Manu/Forbes
Dragic/Porker(**can run the offense when Pop wants to go deep in the playbook**)/Leprosy

One open spot: Garino

:lobt2:

SAGirl
12-10-2016, 04:17 PM
interesting to read but so not going to happen.

cd021
12-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Milsap's older and his ceiling is less than LMA's.
Trade #3 wouldn't be necissary. Lee would probably be the backup 5 with Bertans at the four, Simmons at the 3 and Manu at the two. Not crazy about getting Dragic either.

I would rather the Spurs swap LMA for young talent and pick(s) and then play the year out and try to use cap space and nail draft picks to retool over a three year window with the hopes that the Spurs could be a legit contender when Kawhi is 28

spursistan
12-10-2016, 04:25 PM
Trade #3 wouldn't be necissary. Lee would probably be the backup 5 with Bertans at the four, Simmons at the 3 and Manu at the two. Not crazy about getting Dragic either.

I would rather the Spurs swap LMA for young talent and pick(s) and then play the year out and try to use cap space and nail draft picks to retool over a three year window with the hopes that the Spurs could be a legit contender when Kawhi is 28

They need to pivot to that direction fast..the past two summer are starting to eerily resemble 2009 (LMA/RJ) and 2010 (Mcdyess/Pau)..

Kawhitstorm
12-10-2016, 04:58 PM

LMA is inconsistent so his ceiling being higher is mirage especially when he's reaching the tail end of his prime. In a 7 game series, I rather have 7 average Millsap games instead of Softridge going off for two games then being MIA the rest of the series. The issue w/ Softridge is also he usually blows his load in a game the team would have won even if he had an average performance then turns into a ghost when you actually need him aka he's a front-runner. Millsap on the other hand is one of those guys that plays within the offense then steps it up when his teammates are struggling. (He usually has his highest scoring games in a loss similar past-prime Timmay:lol)

Trade #3 wouldn't be necissary. Lee would probably be the backup 5

As much as I advocated for Lee even before he was signed, he should NEVER have to play the 5 unless it's against a team that NEVER drives & just jacks up jumpers.:lol

The Pau signing indicates otherwise which is why the proposed trades were for "Win-Now" type players.

coachmac87
12-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Spurs-Milsap

Hawks-Amir Johnson, Kyle Anderson

Kings-LMA

Celtics- Cousins

Kawhitstorm
12-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Hawks-Amir Johnson, Kyle Anderson

:lmao

apalisoc_9
12-10-2016, 06:00 PM
The spurs need multiple players. If they get Millsap from Atlanta..they need to ship Kyle too and maybe get aldridge to Boston...

Anyway we can end up with Smart/Millsap?

apalisoc_9
12-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Smart would be an amazing third PG...a great option to have if Kawhi is having one of his 30 points game, and porker is being porker.

TD 21
12-10-2016, 06:21 PM
If/when they trade Aldridge, it will more than likely be in the off season and it will be, in part, an admission that they're no longer contenders and are kicking the can down the road.

Suffice it to say, a going on 32 year old Millsap, who's going to get a massive contract and a going on 31 year old Dragic, doesn't fit with that.

Smart's value is in his ability guard all three perimeter positions. Offensively, he doesn't really excel at anything and he can't shoot. He'd be a terrible fit next to Leonard.

Kawhitstorm
12-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Smart would be an amazing third PG...a great option to have if Kawhi is having one of his 30 points game, and porker is being porker.

Smart can't shoot & is a take-it-then-give-it-away type player (ala Tony Allen) who will drive Pop crazy. Besides, there is no way the Celtics are giving up Smart for Kyle Fuckin' Anderson.:lol

Kawhitstorm
12-10-2016, 06:26 PM
If/when they trade Aldridge, it will more than likely be in the off season and it will be, in part, an admission that they're no longer contenders and are kicking the can down the road.

Suffice it to say, a going on 32 year old Millsap, who's going to get a massive contract and a going on 31 year old Dragic, doesn't fit with that..

Again, I made the proposal under the assumption PATFO are STILL in win-now mode (ala when they made the Dick/Jack swap) otherwise it would make more sense to move Softridge at the draft lottery ala George Hill.

Even if Pau/Softridge were a net-positive, I don't see how PATFO thought they could contend w/ the Duds/Cavs considering the shitty backcourt. Signing Pau/Lee is anything but a win-now move even if it's just to be a second tier contender like the Cripples.

TD 21
12-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Again, I made the proposal under the assumption PATFO are STILL in win-now mode (ala when they made the Dick/Jack swap) otherwise it would make more sense to move Softridge at the draft lottery ala George Hill.

Yeah, I know. All I'm saying is, I don't see them going down that road.

The team you proposed, while more balanced, would also have zero chance at a championship. They'd just be rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic, delaying the inevitable and making it less likely to build a legit contender around Leonard while he's in his prime.

TrainOfThought5
12-10-2016, 06:38 PM
If theres a trade involving LMA and Cousins that doesnt result in us getting Cousins im gonna be pissed.

cd021
12-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Even if Pau/Softridge were a net-positive, I don't see how PATFO thought they could contend w/ the Duds/Cavs considering the shitty backcourt. Signing Pau/Lee is anything but a win-now move even if it's just to be a second tier contender like the Cripples.
If that were the case, I would be fine with the Spurs straight up flipping LMA for picks to the Suns (currently have the 7th worst record in the league) for their first and second round (37th) picks and/or see if they could get PHX to throw in Tyler Ulis , whom the Spurs were reportedly interested in drafting (apparently a pretty good defender in spite of being super short also a good shooter and a very good play maker from what I've heard).

Spurs would be able use cap space (possibly to resign Dedmon), resign Mills, Simmons, add a lottery pick and another first rounder (probably not the player that they take in the late 20's but possibly bring over Milutinov) and add a young 3rd PG with upside.

Parker-Mills-Ulis
Green-Simmons
Leonard-Anderson
Gasol-Bertans
Dedmon-Lee-Milutinov
*plus lottery pick

offset formation
12-10-2016, 06:57 PM

Smart? Are you a straight up daft moron?

r0drig0lac
12-10-2016, 07:11 PM
#1) Swap Softridge for Millsap (**Softridge has worn out his welcome**)

sure, why not? After that we should try trade parker for curry

Kawhitstorm
12-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I know. All I'm saying is, I don't see them going down that road.

The team you proposed, while more balanced, would also have zero chance at a championship. They'd just be rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic, delaying the inevitable and making it less likely to build a legit contender around Leonard while he's in his prime.

You could rearrange the deck to give the team an identity besides just being a one dimensional isolation team that lives & dies on mid-range jumpers.

Dedmon/Millsap/Kawhi/Danny would be an excellent versatile defensive foursome that could match-up w/ anyone & Millsap/Dragic would give you 35+ points in a variety of ways unlike Pau/LMA who have overlapping skill-sets. Millsap/Dragic would also help the ball-movement as they are MUCH better playmakers & don't depend on predictable post-ups that often times stagnate the offense.

The team would also be able to play uptempo which should get Danny more transition 3s & also allow Kawhi to get easy baskets. They would essentially be a more rugged version of the '14-'15 Hawks as instead of Horford/Carroll you have Dedmon/Kawhi & Danny is a better defender than Korver. The biggest flaw w/ the Hawks was their lack of size & top 10 player but Dedmon/Len would defensively be comparable to Tristan/Mozgov & Kawhi is a top 5 player.

All in all, considering how much of a defensively liability Pau/Tony/Patty are in a playoff series even if their shots are falling & Softridge being a one dimension ball stopping chucker who's average when his fadeaway isn't falling then I don't see why swapping them w/ Millsap/Dragic wouldn't move the needle to at least overcome the Cripples. Just looking at how Gaymond shutdown Blake, Millsap can do much better than Softridge & 40yr old Choke-P would also have to play defense against Dragic instead of resting on defense. Millsap is also a better match on defense against the Cavs/Duds since Pop's strategy has been switching against those teams.

If things don't work out then Millsap opting-out (99.9% chance of it happening no matter what) would actually be a blessing in disguise since that would give PATFO a chance to go after the top free-agent of the summer: Blake.:toast

Mel_13
12-10-2016, 07:42 PM
#3) Trade Patty for a backup Center
-Patty to the Sixers (**Can be re-signed to mentor & play alongside his country man: Simmons**)
-Len (Suns declined his rookie option) to the Spurs
-Sixers send two 2nd rd picks to the Suns (**have enough young guys to draft & stash prospects**)

Suns picked up both his third and fourth year rookie options. The most likely scenario is that they will tender the required QO next summer and make him a restricted free agent. There's no reason to believe that they'll dump him for a couple of second round picks.

SAGirl
12-10-2016, 08:00 PM

In reality the team would be fine if they had just one elite guard. Everything else that doesn't include doing something about the PG spot is a waste of an effort.

Kawhitstorm
12-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Suns picked up both his third and fourth year rookie options. The most likely scenario is that they will tender the required QO next summer and make him a restricted free agent. There's no reason to believe that they'll dump him for a couple of second round picks.

I meant to say they didn't give him a rookie extension which they doubled down on by drafting Bender.

If you look at the Kanter/Reggie Jackson trade, the Pistons only gave up :lolAugustin/Singler:lol & two 2nd rd picks to acquire Reggie Jackson. The Jazz essentially only received a protected 1st rd pick (late 20s) for Kanter & a 2nd rd pick to take on Perkin's shitty contract.

Len isn't as good as Kanter & nobody is asking the Suns to take on a shitty contract so two 2nd rd picks from Philly (should be early 30s) is really not any less valuable than the a late 20s first rd pick, actually you get two shots to find a diamond in the rough. Besides, it also not just a matter or whether the Suns want Len back b/c Kanter essentially forced his way out of Utah & Reggie Jackson turned down a contract extension so their (Jazz/OKC) hands were tied.

CGD
12-10-2016, 08:17 PM
They need to pivot to that direction fast..the past two summer are starting to eerily resemble 2009 (LMA/RJ) and 2010 (Mcdyess/Pau)..

I like the young asset route too if they decide to make a move.

Trade LMA and parts to Boston for the Nets 2017 1st round pick + Jaylen Brown + Amir Johnson.

Roll with Gasol and Dedmon to start. If Sacto starts making moves, try to poach WCS as a reclamation project as the dust settles.

offset formation
12-10-2016, 11:40 PM
In reality the team would be fine if they had just one elite guard. Everything else that doesn't include doing something about the PG spot is a waste of an effort.

Pretty much this. Won't ever stop the foolish posts of people trying to move Kyle or LMA though.

DAF86
12-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Assuming the salaries match, Would the Bucks accept to give up Jabbari Parker for Tony Parker, Pau Gasol and Lamarcus Aldrdige?

Mills, Green, Kawhi, Jabbari, Dedmon.

That would be a nice lineup.

Kawhitstorm
12-11-2016, 12:57 AM
Assuming the salaries match, Would the Bucks accept to give up Jabbari Parker for Tony Parker, Pau Gasol and Lamarcus Aldrdige?

Mills, Green, Kawhi, Jabbari, Dedmon.

That would be a nice lineup.

I stopped reading at Porker........

coachmac87
12-11-2016, 02:11 AM
:lmao

You caught the joke!

cascaders
12-11-2016, 03:06 AM
lol we trade mills, we'll never reach playoff again..for a very long time.
How could you even suggest of trading mills...smh
Best Spur... he is as valuable as KL is

San Antonio Slayer
12-12-2016, 04:34 PM
imo our worst contributors so far are Parker and Gasol. Current Gasol is easily replaced by Lee on offense or Dedmon on defense (depending on matchups). Parker can't be traded though he still can give his one B-grade game out of three played when he is healthy. we r missing athleticism when Gasol is on the floor, just like previous OKC series...my summer dream was not to waste much money on offensively mega skilled vet but try to get an athletic big man. I thought the bucks could agree on trading Monroe+MCW...when I watched last game vs Bucks I realized Monroe is not athletic and LMA is bigger (haters would call fatter) than Monroe to say nothing about his offense. I felt very sorry we couldn't offer anyone for Ibaka. Whiteside was not available. Cousins is and will always be a cry baby. We missed Biyombo and Howard trying to get Durant. I thought we could steal Pekovic but he became a traumatic...so we are not trading anyone until next summer...it's the Spurs Family even without jumping to get defensive rebounds. and I am sure we can get Ibaka from Magic with Payton would be a pleasant bonus)))

TheGreatYacht
12-12-2016, 04:38 PM
imo our worst contributors so far are Parker and Gasol.
https://airalamo.com/files/2015/01/manu-ginobili-nba-san-antonio-spurs-minnesota-timberwolves.jpg

kaji157
12-12-2016, 04:46 PM
The truth is the only trade i see "possible" is if the FO decides to bring in Hill, they could send Patty, Kyle and Simmons to Utah for him.

I see it very unlikely and risky for the Spurs as they will be very thin at the guards spot. But in truth George can replace Manu as a SG and Tony as PG, and fill for the minutes of all Patty, Simmons and Kyle.

Forbes could get into the rotation and call up a player from Austin.

Utah gets a good player to pair up with Hayward and two "development" guys.

Both Utah and San Antonio risk the fact of the key players in the trade entering free agency.

Hill can move up to "2nd unit" general after Manu retires and to starter after Tony does so.

SAGirl
12-12-2016, 05:22 PM
imo our worst contributors so far are Parker and Gasol. Current Gasol is easily replaced by Lee on offense or Dedmon on defense (depending on matchups). Parker can't be traded though he still can give his one B-grade game out of three played when he is healthy. we r missing athleticism when Gasol is on the floor, just like previous OKC series...my summer dream was not to waste much money on offensively mega skilled vet but try to get an athletic big man. I thought the bucks could agree on trading Monroe+MCW...when I watched last game vs Bucks I realized Monroe is not athletic and LMA is bigger (haters would call fatter) than Monroe to say nothing about his offense. I felt very sorry we couldn't offer anyone for Ibaka. Whiteside was not available. Cousins is and will always be a cry baby. We missed Biyombo and Howard trying to get Durant. I thought we could steal Pekovic but he became a traumatic...so we are not trading anyone until next summer...it's the Spurs Family even without jumping to get defensive rebounds. and I am sure we can get Ibaka from Magic with Payton would be a pleasant bonus)))
You got that right and the stats back it up too.

SAGirl
12-12-2016, 05:28 PM
The truth is the only trade i see "possible" is if the FO decides to bring in Hill, they could send Patty, Kyle and Simmons to Utah for him.

I see it very unlikely and risky for the Spurs as they will be very thin at the guards spot. But in truth George can replace Manu as a SG and Tony as PG, and fill for the minutes of all Patty, Simmons and Kyle.

Forbes could get into the rotation and call up a player from Austin.

Utah gets a good player to pair up with Hayward and two "development" guys.

Both Utah and San Antonio risk the fact of the key players in the trade entering free agency.

Hill can move up to "2nd unit" general after Manu retires and to starter after Tony does so.
I like Hill and support a trade to get him, but in reality Utah has made a lot of noise about wanting to retain him and I believe they were discussing an extension. They traded a 1st round draft pick for him and I suspect they are real about their desire to retain him. I just doubt very much Utah would go for this. Jon and Kyle are fillers in there Utah may not even want either. What they lacked was a starting caliber PG which HIll has turned out to be for them. It just doesn't make sense for Jazz at all.

kaji157
12-12-2016, 08:50 PM
I like Hill and support a trade to get him, but in reality Utah has made a lot of noise about wanting to retain him and I believe they were discussing an extension. They traded a 1st round draft pick for him and I suspect they are real about their desire to retain him. I just doubt very much Utah would go for this. Jon and Kyle are fillers in there Utah may not even want either. What they lacked was a starting caliber PG which HIll has turned out to be for them. It just doesn't make sense for Jazz at all.

It depends, Patty is younger and more of a shooter/scorer, and can also be considered a "starting caliber" PG.
Hayward is a good creator and would eventually become the main balllhandler. Makes sense to pair him with a shooter.
All in all, what will matter is if they think Patty will be a better investment than George. Championship experience may also be of importance for them, and while Kyle and Simmons are "fillers" they may fill a need for them.

alpha_HaZE
12-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Dedmon can't even stay on the floor because of foul trouble and all of sudden he is going to be a starter on a championship caliber team??? And who is going to play behind Danny next year when Manu is retired, Forbes? LOL

Fail 0/10

Kawhitstorm
12-13-2016, 11:24 PM
Dedmon can't even stay on the floor because of foul trouble and all of sudden he is going to be a starter on a championship caliber team???

If Len/Dedmon give you a COMBINED 36 minutes (one foul per 3 minutes) then you're good. Pop can put Millsap at the 5 & Kawhi at the 4 to close out games similar to what the Duds do w/ Gaymond/Dominos. If they need more size then Lee can play the 4.

And who is going to play behind Danny next year when Manu is retired, Forbes?
Simmons is ALREADY outplaying Manure & they can pick-up someone like McLemore to play the other wing. :wakeup

Amuseddaysleeper
12-13-2016, 11:31 PM
Hawks won't let go of Millsap.

Kawhitstorm
12-13-2016, 11:42 PM

They have no choice as Millsap will walkaway from the team at the end of this disappointing season ala Pau/Bulls.

alpha_HaZE
12-14-2016, 01:24 AM
If Len/Dedmon give you a COMBINED 36 minutes (one foul per 3 minutes) then you're good. Pop can put Millsap at the 5 & Kawhi at the 4 to close out games similar to what the Duds do w/ Gaymond/Dominos. If they need more size then Lee can play the 4.

Simmons is ALREADY outplaying Manure & they can pick-up someone like McLemore to play the other wing. :wakeup

Simmons, Danny and Kawhi and who else will play? That's an injury waiting to happen, you can't play guys that many minutes.

Regarding Dedmon, What I see is lots and lots of potential. The guy allows us to stay big when teams go small because he can switch that is great. However, he tents to be "jumpy" and that causes him to be out of position often, yes he gets to block shots which makes the team highlights for that game but he also misses rebounds and commits unnecessary fouls.

Spurs are known to stick to the fundamentals and are known for playing defense without fouling. And games that we are fouling (vs Thunderefs for example, yikes) we tent to loose. So again unless we stop fouling, I don't see Dedmon playing any significant minutes in the playoffs. Plus he turns the ball over twice for each assist he dishes. Yikes.

Is the athleticism there? Yes, but basketball is a mental game, and if you keep making mental mistakes during the reg season chances are Pop will not play you in the playoffs.

The good news are that in the last few games Dedmon is "playing within himself" so I hope that at some point he figures it out and plays consistent, but it took Simms some time to figure things out and he is more experienced than Dedmon.

TD 21
12-14-2016, 01:49 AM

They were supposedly open to blowing it up going into last season's trade deadline and trading Millsap in the off season had Horford re-signed.

Even if they pick it up some, I think they're going to trade Millsap, at minimum. It makes no sense to risk losing him for nothing or give a massive contract to an aging player, on a team mired in mediocrity and lacking in young talent.

Word is he's who the Raptors have long coveted to fill their gaping hole at power forward. I could see: Millsap and Hardaway Jr. for Sullinger, Ross and Poeltl. The Raptors also have Wright and an extra 1st (Clippers) as expendable assets.

Chillen
12-14-2016, 05:29 AM
Spurs got to make a play for Cousins, a Leonard/Cousins duo is perfect to build around and Cousins would be the real replacement for Timmy. Doubt it happens, Spurs will probably keep Aldridge.

Mal
12-14-2016, 05:47 AM
Spurs got to make a play for Cousins, a Leonard/Cousins duo is perfect to build around and Cousins would be the real replacement for Timmy. Doubt it happens, Spurs will probably keep Aldridge.

How this will work ? Spurs got no assets to get player of Cousins level. You can`t trade 5 roles for one All-star.

Chillen
12-14-2016, 06:57 AM
How this will work ? Spurs got no assets to get player of Cousins level. You can`t trade 5 roles for one All-star.

It would be a LMA for Cousins swap straight up, but yeah it seems a bit dreamy. Kings would probably want max value in return, LMA is still a good return for Cousins but they might want more and that's where the numbers don't work with these two teams. Just a straight LMA for Cousins swap works in ESPN trade checker.

Mal
12-14-2016, 07:04 AM
It would be a LMA for Cousins swap straight up, but yeah it seems a bit dreamy. Kings would probably want max value in return, LMA is still a good return for Cousins but they might want more and that's where the numbers don't work with these two teams. Just a straight LMA for Cousins swap works in ESPN trade checker.

LMA is older, signed for 1 year longer than Boogie.
There are teams who would offer much more value for the future. LMA is not in Sacramento future plans, because of age.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-14-2016, 11:34 AM
They were supposedly open to blowing it up going into last season's trade deadline and trading Millsap in the off season had Horford re-signed.

Even if they pick it up some, I think they're going to trade Millsap, at minimum. It makes no sense to risk losing him for nothing or give a massive contract to an aging player, on a team mired in mediocrity and lacking in young talent.

Word is he's who the Raptors have long coveted to fill their gaping hole at power forward. I could see: Millsap and Hardaway Jr. for Sullinger, Ross and Poeltl. The Raptors also have Wright and an extra 1st (Clippers) as expendable assets.

Ah, wasn't aware this is the last year of his deal. Not crazy about his age, but I'd take him in a heartbeat regardless.

BillMc
12-14-2016, 01:15 PM
Not saying there will be a trade (in fact I highly doubt it) but one theory going around is teams are waiting on dealing players to see,if there is a new CBA. It makes sense they'd want t know the new rules first.

Chillen
12-14-2016, 01:47 PM
LMA is older, signed for 1 year longer than Boogie.
There are teams who would offer much more value for the future. LMA is not in Sacramento future plans, because of age.

So the only option is Kawhi or the highway and no I wouldn't ever trade Kawhi for Cousins. Sac has been known to make some pretty silly trades before, so if they want Aldridge for Cousins would the Spurs pull the trigger? They might like the fact they can make LMA their star.

Kawhitstorm
12-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Simmons, Danny and Kawhi and who else will play? That's an injury waiting to happen, you can't play guys that many minutes.

Yeah, they are REALLY going to miss Kyle/Murray's contributions in the postseason no less.:rolleyes