PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Year Candidate?

apalisoc_9
12-13-2016, 05:44 AM
So who is taking the game of the year award this year?

Uncharted 4
Dark Souls 3
Ratcht and Clank
Gears of War
Titanfall
Overwatch
Final Fantasy 15

I haven't played all of these games, but these are this years almost unanimous 8+/10 ie..Great games

GOW is on Xbox..Don't really play FPS so never tried titanfall, and overwatch..

I'd rank the games that I've played

Ratchet and Clank
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4
Final Fantasy

baseline bum
12-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Fucking Overwatch got game of the year from IGN.

baseline bum
12-13-2016, 08:48 AM
For 2016 I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider. I know it was technically a late 2015 release on XBone, but that scrub console doesn't count and it came to PC in 2016. Though I can't wait to play Uncharted 4 to see if I like it even more (I'll probably play the first three before though, but The Last of Us is the first thing going into my PS4 when it comes in).

baseline bum
12-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Ratchet and Clank

That shit is $10 at GameStop right now. I never knew console games got so cheap so quickly.

SpursforSix
12-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Panda Pop. But I hate the constant prodding for in game purchases.

Cry Havoc
12-13-2016, 12:26 PM

I love overwatch. It's incredibly polished.

It's probably deserving of GotY for the reason that LoL got so popular -- it's eminently accessible even to non-hardcore gamers. Anyone can pick it up and jump around and have fun with it. There's a lot to be said for that and it lends itself to more people playing it, which is really awesome.

Titanfall 2 is easily the best MP experience of the year for me.

For SP it's gotta be Dark Souls 3. I still hear the laugh of the Evangelist.

apalisoc_9
12-13-2016, 01:01 PM
That shit is $10 at GameStop right now. I never knew console games got so cheap so quickly.

It was 40 dollars on release..that's gotta count for something. I didnt even count that fact...still one of the top 5 games even if we dont consider pricing.

Joseph Kony
12-13-2016, 01:34 PM
Uncharted 4 or FFXV for GOTY, imo

DJR210
12-13-2016, 02:13 PM

Still haven't played that trash

baseline bum
12-13-2016, 05:22 PM
How about Ark for GOTY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIP4KrnJPCE

Reck
12-13-2016, 06:00 PM
:lol Ratchet and Clank as game of the year. :lol

Not many outstanding games this year so I'll have to give it to Uncharted 4. Next year is going to be insane with the games coming out though.

Bynumite
12-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Never played Overwatch but i approve of gameplay focused games winning GOTY over some trash ass game with a straight to dvd movie plotline.

baseline bum
12-13-2016, 07:26 PM

Not many outstanding games this year so I'll have to give it to Uncharted 4. Next year is going to be insane with the games coming out though.

Hopefully God of War and Days Gone get 2017 releases.

apalisoc_9
12-13-2016, 09:29 PM

Best gameplay by far. If they dont win, they gotta at least win best gameplay or something.

Reck
12-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Best gameplay by far. If they dont win, they gotta at least win best gameplay or something.

To be considered game of the year you have to have the whole package, not just one component imo.

Gameplay is shit without a solid story or even replayability. Besides, that Ratchet and Clank game is too kid oriented. Could never go up against the giants of the gaming world.

apalisoc_9
12-13-2016, 10:28 PM
To be considered game of the year you have to have the whole package, not just one component imo.

Gameplay is shit without a solid story or even replayability. Besides, that Ratchet and Clank game is too kid oriented. Could never go up against the giants of the gaming world.

That's where you're limited as a player. You clearly havent played the Game. It shouldnt really matter if the charactersnare Cartooony, last I checked Video games isnt catered to Adult only audiances.

Ratchet and Clank have an amazing replay value and the story, despite the childishness is miles more polished than say FF15.

I played it to relive the ps2 days, and my god was it the most fun I've had in years..Only Last of US 3 years ago matched its continuous level of fun.

No dull moment. Something I cant say with other games.

Leetonidas
12-13-2016, 10:38 PM
Lol

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2016, 10:39 PM
im surprise goty is not the game thats been stress tested for benchmarks...

DJR210
12-14-2016, 01:17 PM
Rofl at this big goofy dumbass defending ratchet and clank as his goty

midnightpulp
12-14-2016, 10:34 PM
Never played Overwatch but i approve of gameplay focused games winning GOTY over some trash ass game with a straight to dvd movie plotline.

:tu on this sentiment

baseline bum
12-15-2016, 12:31 AM
:tu on this sentiment

Meh Overwatch looks like it's only one step behind Splatoon on the homo scale tbh

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 03:07 AM
So midnightpulp and BB approve of Gameplay based games to win these awards...By that logic, Ratchet and Clank should win..hands down. Only other great game with great gameplay imo is Dark Souls.

But it's too cartoony :cry

Xevious
12-15-2016, 10:14 AM
So you approve of one game you've never played winning over another game you've never played. That's awesome.

Oh, and Ratchet and Clank. :lol

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 01:38 PM
The Irony about older men laughing at the idea of a Cartoony game winning game of the year is that most 90s game in itself was cartoony.

All things considered, Ratchet and Clank is as good as uncharted 4..the gameplay is superior and it is equally as beautiful..Its like a real pixar movie in a game. Dopest Graphics not named uncharted.

Oh and yeah again..Gameplay is miles.better.

Reck
12-15-2016, 04:33 PM
But it's too cartoony :cry

Tbh, it has nothing to do with being cartoony. The telltale Walking Dead series is as cartoony as they can get and they still won a couple of GOTYs back in 2012.

Joseph Kony
12-15-2016, 05:58 PM
lol at citing 90s games. like 32-64 bit games can be realistic :lmao also most of us were probably ~10 years old in the 90s, so playing cartoony games as a child is perfectly acceptable. but a grown man claiming children's games stack up to Uncharted or Dark souls is fucking laughable...not surprised your gaming sense sucks tho, you were all over that gay pokemon go shit which died a month after release

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Tbh, it has nothing to do with being cartoony. The telltale Walking Dead series is as cartoony as they can get and they still won a couple of GOTYs back in 2012.

Doesnt even make sense.

Ratchet and Clank ps4 remake is universally regarded as a great game. It doesnt matter what audience it targets.

midnightpulp
12-15-2016, 07:29 PM
The Irony about older men laughing at the idea of a Cartoony game winning game of the year is that most 90s game in itself was cartoony.

All things considered, Ratchet and Clank is as good as uncharted 4..the gameplay is superior and it is equally as beautiful..Its like a real pixar movie in a game. Dopest Graphics not named uncharted.

Oh and yeah again..Gameplay is miles.better.

Nope. I'm of the gameplay>>>everything else school of thought. Art style, storyline, music, graphics matter much less to me than good fuckin' gameplay. Hotline Miami, for instance. Violently brutal game with 16 bit inspired graphics, but the gameplay is so tight, I wouldn't have given a shit if the game was centered around the Carebears.

I'm a big fan of the PS2 Ratchet and Clanks. Probably the best platformer series of that generation. Haven't played any of the new ones, so I can't comment. You probably think I'm "anti-cutesy" because I thought Pokemon Go was silly. I didn't think it silly because of its art style, but because it's not even a game. It's a scavenger hunt that rewards the player for basically walking around. I also thought it pretty sad that it took something like that to get these butterballs outside and active.

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Nope. I'm of the gameplay>>>everything else school of thought. Art style, storyline, music, graphics matter much less to me than good fuckin' gameplay. Hotline Miami, for instance. Violently brutal game with 16 bit inspired graphics, but the gameplay is so tight, I wouldn't have given a shit if the game was centered around the Carebears.

I'm a big fan of the PS2 Ratchet and Clanks. Probably the best platformer series of that generation. Haven't played any of the new ones, so I can't comment. You probably think I'm "anti-cutesy" because I thought Pokemon Go was silly. I didn't think it silly because of its art style, but because it's not even a game. It's a scavenger hunt that rewards the player for basically walking around. I also thought it pretty sad that it took something like that to get these butterballs outside and active.

We're in the same camp with gameplay etc.

I wasn't just refering to you. I just find the idea that just because Ratchet and Clank targets a younger audience, Games like Uncharted should automatically be above it...it doenst really matter though..that's the point I am making.

It's easily miles ahead of Uncharted in gameplay and, Imo has the best gameplay out of FF15 and uncharted. Id give it a slight nod over dark souls 3 in gameplay..cant comment on the xbox ones and Fps games though.

I love uncharted and is easily in my top 5 series of all time, but its gameplay is way too basic and not at a level of a Ratchet and Clank or a Dark souls...

midnightpulp
12-15-2016, 07:46 PM
We're in the same camp with gameplay etc.

I wasn't just refering to you. I just find the idea that just because Ratchet and Clank targets a younger audience, Games like Uncharted should automatically be above it...it doenst really matter though..that's the point I am making.

It's easily miles ahead of Uncharted in gameplay and, Imo has the best gameplay out of FF15 and uncharted. Id give it a slight nod over dark souls 3 in gameplay..cant comment on the xbox ones and Fps games though.

I love uncharted and is easily in my top 5 series of all time, but its gameplay is way too basic and not at a level of a Ratchet and Clank or a Dark souls...

Also, R&C isn't even that "cutesy." A lot of clever jokes about corporations, war mongering, advertising/propaganda in the series. You also massacre untold thousands of creatures with about 50 different kinds of weapons.

baseline bum
12-15-2016, 07:46 PM

If you like hardcore oldschool games, check Guacamelee. The art style, music, and storyline are all there and are awesome, but it's fucking difficult like NES platformers and the combat is awesome with the way you can string all these wrestling moves together. You have to make a lot of really hard jumps involving combos of moves, especially if you're trying to get 100% for the good ending. Plus it's like $15 on XBox One and Steam for the Super Turbo Championship Edition. It's probably my second or third favorite game I played in 2016 (though it came out in 2013 I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbzxY_4tjQ

Reck
12-15-2016, 07:50 PM
I can tell you having played ratchet and clank years ago on the PS2 that no, that game is not better in any way shape or form when pit against any Uncharted game. It's night and day.

And I find it hard to believe a platformer is better gameplay wise than really any RPG game whose bread and butter IS its gameplay mechanics.

midnightpulp
12-15-2016, 07:51 PM
If you like hardcore oldschool games, check Guacamelee. The art style, music, and storyline are all there and are awesome, but it's fucking difficult like NES platformers and the combat is awesome with the way you can string all these wrestling moves together. You have to make a lot of really hard jumps involving combos of moves, especially if you're trying to get 100% for the good ending. Plus it's like $15 on XBox One and Steam for the Super Turbo Championship Edition. It's probably my second or third favorite game I played in 2016 (though it came out in 2013 I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbzxY_4tjQ

Yeah, Guac is supposed to be great. I'll pick it up one of these days.

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 07:54 PM
I can tell you having played ratchet and clank years ago on the PS2 that no, that game is not better in any way shape or form when pit against any Uncharted game. It's night and day.

And I find it hard to believe a platformer is better gameplay wise than really any RPG game whose bread and butter IS its gameplay mechanics.

Remake R&C at ps4..much better than any third person shooter gameplay.

You can argue for preference of gameplay for Dark souls and thats fine, but when you're gameplay is significantly better than any 3rd person shooter game, you're doing something great.

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Uncharted has always been about story immeriosin. The gameplay has always been a borefest.

Lets not kid ourselves.

midnightpulp
12-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Agree with Apa on UC.

You basically just move from one shooting gallery set piece to another. The platforming is of the "sticky" variety, meaning it takes little-to-no skill to pull off so called hard jumps. And the stealth mechanics a light years behind something like the Splinter Cell series. Even the first Splinter Cell from way back in '02 demolishes UC in that regard.

The R&C series requires you to learn a variety of different jumps (double jumps, wall jumps, etc), has a quasi-Metroidvania game design (you have to unlock specific items and then backtrack to access a different area in the level), more weapons, better level design, the list goes on. The UC is a fun what Bynumite would call a "DVD Movie Game."

Clipper Nation
12-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Uncharted is so overrated. That series is 95% cut scenes, 5% gameplay. It's worse than Shenmue.

Reck
12-15-2016, 08:48 PM
You know what other game had decent platforming puzzles? Spyro the Dragon.

Are you going to tell me that one is better than Uncharted too? :lol

Reck
12-15-2016, 08:52 PM
It's worse than Shenmue.

You sound like someone who's never played either. :lol

Shenmue is basically the fore father of Open World games. They were one of, if not the first to do semi/open world games.

And as far as Uncharted being mostly cutscenes? Dont know what you're talking about.

Clipper Nation
12-15-2016, 08:54 PM

At least in Spyro, the cutscenes serve as a break between the gameplay, not the other way around.

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 11:36 PM

Blah blah..I'm not hearing any arguments except but it cant be better than Uncharted.

Reck
12-16-2016, 12:12 AM
Blah blah..I'm not hearing any arguments except but it cant be better than Uncharted.

Most games will be better than kiddie Ratchet & Clank on principal. :lol

I'm not even hating. It's just how it is.

Rachet & Clank is a niche game. It doesn't have a broad appeal.

monosylab1k
12-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Meh Overwatch looks like it's only one step behind Splatoon on the homo scale tbh

Overwatch is easily the best FPS I've played. The level of strategy and chessmatch of moves makes it way deeper than it looks too. Biggest issue is dealing with shitty teammates.

Joseph Kony
12-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Agree with Apa on UC.

You basically just move from one shooting gallery set piece to another. The platforming is of the "sticky" variety, meaning it takes little-to-no skill to pull off so called hard jumps. And the stealth mechanics a light years behind something like the Splinter Cell series. Even the first Splinter Cell from way back in '02 demolishes UC in that regard.

The R&C series requires you to learn a variety of different jumps (double jumps, wall jumps, etc), has a quasi-Metroidvania game design (you have to unlock specific items and then backtrack to access a different area in the level), more weapons, better level design, the list goes on. The UC is a fun what Bynumite would call a "DVD Movie Game."play uncharted on brutal or higher and tell me it's easier than fucking ratchet and clank :lol

Cry Havoc
12-16-2016, 07:10 PM

Agreed for the most part. Dark Souls games don't have a great story, but because it's consistent and the gameplay lives up to the crazy enemies you're fighting, it fits so well and feels incredible.

midnightpulp
12-16-2016, 11:06 PM
play uncharted on brutal or higher and tell me it's easier than fucking ratchet and clank :lol

What's the point?

Then you just put R&C on its highest difficulty, and it's probably harder.

Though some games turn into a broken mess when the difficulty is cranked up, like the early Call of Duties with their infinite grenade spam. In my mind, a well designed game should give you a tough but fair challenge on the default difficulty setting.

Reck
12-16-2016, 11:14 PM
What's the point?

Then you just put R&C on its highest difficulty, and it's probably harder.

Though some games turn into a broken mess when the difficulty is cranked up, like the early Call of Duties with their infinite grenade spam. In my mind, a well designed game should give you a tough but fair challenge on the default difficulty setting.

From what I've read, Ratchet and Clank is a piece of cake to beat. The highest difficulty on it is hard. Uncharted has hard, crushing and Brutal.

Hard on top of hard.

I've not played Uncharted on brutal but if its anything like crushing difficulty which I have done, then its no joke. 1-hit kill is the standard on these games.

midnightpulp
12-16-2016, 11:30 PM
From what I've read, Ratchet and Clank is a piece of cake to beat. The highest difficulty on it is hard. Uncharted has hard, crushing and Brutal.

Hard on top of hard.

I've not played Uncharted on brutal but if its anything like crushing difficulty which I have done, then its no joke. 1-hit kill is the standard on these games.

R&C is by no means hard, but on its default difficulty compared to UC, it's a tad harder. No matter. Hard=/=good gameplay.

A good example of balanced difficulty is a game like Godhand for the PS2. You can't just mash and sleepwalk through the game and expect to beat it. You need to learn the rather in depth fighting system and sufficiently execute it to have any hope in Hell of beating the game on even normal difficulty. But it's also fair, meaning if you put the time in to learn the mechanics, you shouldn't die "cheaply" if you execute.

A lot of modern gen games simply resort to bullshit like infinitely respawning enemies, bullet sponge enemies, and grenade spam to make the game harder. Yeah. Good for a challenge, but simply cranking up the stats on the A.I. doesn't qualify as "good" game design to me. Any modder can do the same thing. In my mind, a "tough but fair" difficulty rewards the player for learning the nuances of the game's mechanics. Fighting games are a good example here. Even against the A.I., if you just mash one or two moves, you'll usually lose. But take the time to learn a variety of moves and when to use them, and you're "rewarded."

Meanwhile, you can beat a modern AAA game using just one mechanic (e.g. Pistol only run or something).

apalisoc_9
12-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Another thing R&C PS4 excells at that Uncharted doesnt is the variety and complex way to have fun with Just its gameplay. Maybe R&C has that because its by nature an older game and you have tp give insomniac a lot of credit for making it work even with a gameplay that is a lot closer to tge ps2 days than it is with tpdays games.

I lpve the uncharted series and Uncharted 2-3 are both in my ps3 top 10 games of all time but you have to admit the appeal with uncharted is largey with its story.

I mean take Tomb Raider for example, it's the se genre but everyone knows while it lacks Hollywood like story telling, it makes up for a better gameplay.

apalisoc_9
12-17-2016, 12:06 AM
Dark souls and bloodborne are two games that I enjoyed a lot but never bothered finishing. :lol

It's so time consuming..Makes me wonder how I even finished Dragon age Inquisition. :lol....I have never spent over 20 hours on a single player campagin since the ps2 days except for dragon age

DMC
12-17-2016, 12:18 AM
I played UC and it was ok for a while but the cutscenes and all, not feeling it. I don't care for extremely scripted games that won't allow any open world exploration. Having played GTA it's hard to go backwards.

12-17-2016, 12:30 AM
Overwatch

Xevious
12-17-2016, 02:24 AM
I played UC and it was ok for a while but the cutscenes and all, not feeling it. I don't care for extremely scripted games that won't allow any open world exploration. Having played GTA it's hard to go backwards.
It's just a different experience. Naughty Dog is pretty honest that they make interactive stories, but they're probably the best at it. I've gotten more out of those games than I ever did similar titles like Tomb Raider, Max Payne, etc. I'm of the age that if I'm going to dedicate hours of my life to a videogame, there better be some type of payoff and characters/a storyline that interests me. I've played enough MMOs and online shooters to last me a lifetime, and I have no interest in playing with a bunch of teenagers. Overwatch may very well be that good and win a bunch of awards, I won't care one way or the other because I'll never play it.