PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: NBA's dress-code idea stirs ire

Kori Ellis
10-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Mike Monroe: NBA's dress-code idea stirs ire
Web Posted: 10/09/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100905.9C.COL.BKNmonroe.dresscode.313ef62.html

San Antonio Express-News

Much ado about not that much.

NBA players, most prominently the 76ers' Allen Iverson, and including the Spurs' Tim Duncan, are upset about the dress code David Stern recently revealed the league intends to impose on them.

The details of the dress code — the what and the where — have yet to be determined. That hasn't stopped players and media members from making assumptions, some of them likely erroneous.

The Spurs, for example, seemed to believe they would be required to wear coats and ties at games if they aren't suited up in their work clothes, meaning their uniforms.

In fact, it seems far more likely the dress code merely will specify that players wear collared shirts and slacks — no jeans — when seated with their team during games.

Suits and ties?

No way.

Sport coats with that collared shirt?

Maybe, but the guess here is Stern will compromise and back away from that, too, as long as players adhere to the standard about relatively conventional shirts. That means no T-shirts or jerseys. And nothing atop the head, whether a ball cap or a "do-rag."

There are a couple of big problems if the league eliminates jeans from the list of acceptable player attire, though: League employees are allowed to wear jeans to work at Olympic Tower, in midtown Manhattan. Plus, some owners, the Spurs' Peter Holt among them, often wear jeans as they sit courtside at games.

Stern clearly doesn't have a sense of South Texas style if he deems Holt's typical game-night attire — neat blue jeans, cowboy boots, wide-buckle belt, dress shirt and blazer — inappropriate as "business casual."

Then there is the Mavericks' owner, Mark Cuban, who typically wears jeans and either a jersey or his "MFFL" (Mavs Fan For Life) sweatshirt at games. Cuban showed up at a recent Board of Governors meeting wearing jeans and a rugby shirt, just to let his colleagues know where he stands on the issue. (Here you go Shoogar Bear - someone mentioned Cuban's clothes)

Stern is smart enough to know you choose your battles and leave yourself plenty of wiggle room, so it will be a major upset if he and the league's Board of Governors don't give up on trying to impose a dress code for travel. All 30 of the league's teams either have their own airplane, or else travel on league-arranged charter aircraft. Thus, players aren't on public display walking through airports. Who cares what they look like when they show up at the charter terminal, or even at the team hotel?

The dress code is part of a proposed code of conduct for players. It is all about professionalism and improving the image of league players, an image that took a direct hit after the infamous brawl that spilled into the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills last November. There is language in the new collective bargaining agreement that relates to its imposition, and Stern has consulted with players' union chief Billy Hunter about his plans for such a code.

The collective bargaining agreement gives the commissioner the power to fine players for violations of the code. Iverson, for one, has said Stern should be prepared to fine him, because he does not intend to comply with a dress code of which he does not approve.

If the commissioner really wants to strike a blow for professionalism, we suggest he could better begin by insisting players adhere to the league's rules regarding cooperation with the media. There are league bylaws that specify minimum levels of cooperation by players and teams, including fines for disregarding same. Many players, including some Spurs, routinely ignore them, with impunity.

Those of us in the media don't care how the players are attired when they answer our questions, just as long as they are willing to talk to us.

scott
10-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I have trouble siding with multi-millionares who don't feel like wearing something as simple as a sports coat to work.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2005, 12:33 AM
If the commissioner really wants to strike a blow for professionalism, we suggest he could better begin by insisting players adhere to the league's rules regarding cooperation with the media. There are league bylaws that specify minimum levels of cooperation by players and teams, including fines for disregarding same. Many players, including some Spurs, routinely ignore them, with impunity.

Those of us in the media don't care how the players are attired when they answer our questions, just as long as they are willing to talk to us.

That's a pretty heavy call out by Monroe to "some Spurs".

TDMVPDPOY
10-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey is the man-purse also part of the new dresscode??

ShoogarBear
10-09-2005, 02:31 AM
(Here you go Shoogar Bear - someone mentioned Cuban's clothes)

Finally. That's more than any of the self-righteous clothing dictators in this forum has been able to do.

I have trouble siding with multi-millionares who don't feel like wearing something as simple as a sports coat to work.

Are you including Cuban in this? I hope so.

That's a pretty heavy call out by Monroe to "some Spurs".

Also pretty self-serving. That was a complete non-sequitur in going from clothing to media relations.

No offense, Kori, but apparently the biggest sin a player can ever make is not talk to reporters, because then that's all we'll ever hear about from the reporters. I'm tired of reading the whines about how players won't talk to them. It's one thing if he's hostile or rude, but if he just doesn't want to talk and he's polite, then the scribes need to move on and STFU.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Were I an employee with a six or seven or eight figure income, I'd put on a jacket if the owner asked.

Were I an owner, I'd wear whatever I want.

Ownership has its privileges.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2005, 10:56 AM
And for the record, I think the owners should only make these requirements for games -- and I actually think that's where a compromise may end up.

ShoogarBear
10-09-2005, 12:41 PM

And its hypocrisies.

John T
10-09-2005, 03:28 PM
This seems much less severe than what has been reported. Dressing 'appropriately' for games is a far cry from the all public events that they had listed before.

Carie

Kori Ellis
10-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Also pretty self-serving. That was a complete non-sequitur in going from clothing to media relations.

No offense, Kori, but apparently the biggest sin a player can ever make is not talk to reporters, because then that's all we'll ever hear about from the reporters. I'm tired of reading the whines about how players won't talk to them. It's one thing if he's hostile or rude, but if he just doesn't want to talk and he's polite, then the scribes need to move on and STFU.

I'm pretty sure that he brought up media because along with the new clothing rules, there's also some new rules regarding talking to the press I believe.

As far as reporters bitching about the players not talking to them ... well, there are specific rules on how much they are supposed to be available to the press -- and if they aren't made available, the team is supposed to be fined and if they refused to be available, the player is supposed to be fined. But that rarely happens unless it's someone like Rasheed with the infraction.

MannyIsGod
10-09-2005, 04:42 PM
I hate what some of these guys wear. It just amazes me to have that kind of bankroll and to walk around in some ugly ass tshirt.

But whatever, I don't really like the idea of forcing people to wear a suit either. If they compromise for the game situations that will probably be appropriate.

1Parker1
10-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Iverson, for one, has said Stern should be prepared to fine him, because he does not intend to comply with a dress code of which he does not approve.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I just don't understand what all the big fuss is about with this dress code from the player's perspective. They do realize that every other working American....from the guy who makes $5.50 an hour at a McDonald's to the CEO of GE adheres to a dress code at their jobs, right?

These players get paid millions of dollars to do what they love. Asking them to look a little more presentable on television and in front of their fans is not asking much....

Spurminator
10-09-2005, 04:51 PM
I don't see what the fuss is about with players wearing jeans, dew-rags and untucked T-shirts.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2005, 04:52 PM
This seems much less severe than what has been reported. Dressing 'appropriately' for games is a far cry from the all public events that they had listed before.

Carie

Well no one really knows what the rules are yet.

I've heard everything from it being just button down shirts and no jeans to it being shirt, tie, jacket, and slacks. Also, I have heard everything from it being enforced only in postgame interviews and for inactive players on the bench to it being for every public appearance, media event, interview, bench, to and from the plane, etc.

The details haven't been decided upon yet, so no one really knows.

John T
10-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Well no one really knows what the rules are yet.

I've heard everything from it being just button down shirts and no jeans to it being shirt, tie, jacket, and slacks. Also, I have heard everything from it being enforced only in postgame interviews and for inactive players on the bench to it being for every public appearance, media event, interview, bench, to and from the plane, etc.

The details haven't been decided upon yet, so no one really knows.

Oh. I thought (hoped) this was the more current info out, not just another possibility. From my viewpoint anyway, the last scenario listed seems to be a bit much.

Thanks for the heads up!

Carie

SWC Bonfire
10-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Maybe I'm being dense, but I just don't understand what all the big fuss is about with this dress code from the player's perspective. They do realize that every other working American....from the guy who makes $5.50 an hour at a McDonald's to the CEO of GE adheres to a dress code at their jobs, right?

These players get paid millions of dollars to do what they love. Asking them to look a little more presentable on television and in front of their fans is not asking much....

Well, they do wear uniforms when they perform their primary job functions.

I think that this should be left up to the induvidual teams/coaches.

Clandestino
10-10-2005, 04:35 PM
no thug is wear is all they should say...

milkyway21
10-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Mike Monroe yrs ago wrote an article about how the league was blinded over hype, Kobe & ShaQ and the Lakers that they forgot to take a look on a team that on all sides are supposed to be carrying America's flag, the good guys, with DRob and Tim as models to the NBA, that a yr before they're so disciplined, committed to their goal and silent the team hadn't committed even a single technical in a season. And I said what? no technical foul? I checked and...it was amazed that he was telling the truth.

Now brace for a "new" look of this team. This suit & tie thing can bring a new image to Tim Duncan and how he manage to handle himself regarding this issue.

Drachen
10-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Are you including Cuban in this? I hope so.

I dont think he was, because Multi-billionares do have the right to complain about a sports coat.

angel_luv
10-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh mi gosh! I just heard on the radio that Marcus Camby thinks players should be given additional salary to buy new dress code appropriate clothes.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

bdubya
10-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I think it's all just a negotiating ploy; Stern will settle for a ban on "Championship Belts".

ObiwanGinobili
10-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Oh mi gosh! I just heard on the radio that Marcus Camby thinks players should be given additional salary to buy new dress code appropriate clothes.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

:wow I seriously hope he was being facicious.

:lmao @ the sheer ridiculesness of that......... Camby........what retard. :lmao

Notorious H.O.P.
10-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Nope, Camby was serious. He said if the league wanted to impose a dress code, they should give the players a "stipend" for clothing. I read that a few days ago and couldn't believe it.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Camby can use the money that he got paid in college to pay for his clothes.

T Park
10-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Were I an employee with a six or seven or eight figure income, I'd put on a jacket if the owner asked.

Were I an owner, I'd wear whatever I want.

Your new title should be "Too much common sense"

Its a business. Stern's investers, want their employees, to look more professional.

Genius Iverson also said

"Us wearing suits sends a bad message to the youth"

Oh yes Allen, dirtbag.

T Park
10-13-2005, 12:30 AM
but I just don't understand what all the big fuss is about with this dress code from the player's perspective. They do realize that every other working American....from the guy who makes $5.50 an hour at a McDonald's to the CEO of GE adheres to a dress code at their jobs, right?

because they think they are ABOVE, the normal person.

They dont give a rat's ass about you, me, or anyone else.

Look at another athlete's attitude, Jeremy Roenick.

When asked about what he thought of the paying public thinking the players were spoiled he said "If they dont like it, they can kiss my ass"

Thats the MAJORITY, not all, MAJORITY of the player's attitudes.

DesiSpur_21
10-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Here is one more...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/phil_taylor/10/12/taylor1012/index.html

PS: Sorry if it's already been posted.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2005, 06:34 PM
God I wish this story would go away.