PDA

View Full Version : How will the new CBA affect the SPURS?

el contusione
12-15-2016, 11:43 AM
I just read that the owners and players union tentatively signed a new agreement. Could someone please breakdown the agreement. Specially how it may affect the Spurs.. Thanks in advance.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-15-2016, 11:57 AM
2 additional slots for players on the roster for d-league assignees. Very good for teams that put value in developing players.

Rookie scale, min contracts, exceptions , etc will increase roughly by 50% - this will affect the cap space.

No amnesty clause this time.

A designated vetaran provision which would allow teams to extend players that qualify for this - should be for the top players.

Shorter preseason, less back to backs. Pop will still rest players, though lol

Probably a lot of other smaller things.

el contusione
12-15-2016, 01:22 PM
:bobo Thank you

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 01:26 PM
No more 36+ year old rule IIRC..

Players over the age of 36 are now eligible for the biggest max.

So expect Tony tp sign 140 million dollars for 5 years.

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Extensions can now be extended for five to six years years so if the spurs do extend Leonard before his current contract is up..his 2nd contract can end up as late as 2024...Meaning Leonard can retire as a spur with only three contracts signed.

baseline bum
12-15-2016, 01:35 PM
I love that the season is starting in mid October now to get rid of some back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights kind of crap.

Chinook
12-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Kawhi's not retiring at 34.

However, if you're right about the over-36 rule it does mean that Parker could do the impossible and retire after a 20-year career while never being a free agent.

Chinook
12-15-2016, 01:37 PM
I love that the season is starting in mid October now to get rid of some back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights kind of crap.

I'm just glad I'll never have to be tempted to watch the MLB playoffs because pre-season games aren't televised again. That shit's either boring or heart-breaking depending on whether the Rangers or Astros make it.

Joseph Kony
12-15-2016, 01:42 PM
I love that the season is starting in mid October now to get rid of some back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights kind of crap.Meh...i always enjoy b2b games. In 2012 I loved that we'd have games sometimes b2b2b. I know it's not good for the players and quality but its enjoyable having a game to watch more frequently after work tbh

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Kawhi's not retiring at 34.

However, if you're right about the over-36 rule it does mean that Parker could do the impossible and retire after a 20-year career while never being a free agent.

I wasnt really including the rookie contract since there's zero convicing in that end. Its a draft contract.

apalisoc_9
12-15-2016, 01:52 PM
IIRC they changed it to 38 years old..But I could wrong. I'm not fully aware of the details and im just on my phone right now so hard to do research...But the interesting part about it is, How willing are teams to pay their washed up superstars that much money.

I can't imagine not being dissapointed if Kawhi takes that super max route at age 36 even if he was still playing at an ALL-NBA team level.

GSH
12-15-2016, 02:34 PM
It means they will be able to keep Patty and Manu next season.

TheGreatYacht
12-15-2016, 04:25 PM
It means they will be able to keep Patty and Manu next season.
You could've just stopped at Patty. Seriously

GSH
12-15-2016, 05:12 PM
You could've just stopped at Patty. Seriously

:D

cjw
12-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Rookie scale moving up will barely impact the Spurs but should be a net positive for the Spurs. Given they haven't had a draft pick of their own inside of #20 since Duncan, a 45-50% increase in rookie salaries across the board would have much more of an impact on teams drafting in the lottery. Until now, rookie deals for solid lottery picks have been the biggest bargains in the league for 3-5 years. If those numbers go up, you'll see a few things:

(1) Will not carry as much trade value given higher salary slot
(2) Teams consistently drafting in lottery will not be able to hoard cap space to the same degree like the Sixers/Wolves/etc. have done

Current rookie scale pays the #1 through #5 picks $4.9mm down to $3.2mm in the first year, increasing by $100k or so per year for the first three years. This number could increase close to $10.0mm for the first overall pick if the reporting is accurate. Huge, huge difference.

For a team like the Spurs, the 25th pick goes from slightly over $1 million to around $2 million, so much less of a difference.

Need to see details on the 16th/17th roster spots for D-League players, but could be a huge boon to the Spurs who make good use of Austin. Or, it could push more teams to make better use of the D-League and it will definitely dry up the pool of available D-League talent. 60 more guys potentially on rosters = much less talent to be found not tied to a team.