PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Beverly totally lax defensively on Patty on the GW shot

Solid D
12-20-2016, 10:39 PM
He gave that game away for the Rockets. The good defenders don't let attention deficit have its ugly affect in crunch time.

HarlemHeat37
12-20-2016, 10:40 PM
That bum-ass looking nigga was feeling himself with his "best defender in the league" remarks:lol

RD2191
12-20-2016, 11:05 PM
That bum-ass looking nigga was feeling himself with his "best defender in the league" remarks:lol

:lmao

YGWHI
12-20-2016, 11:31 PM
:lol

cutewizard
12-21-2016, 03:27 AM
Keep on dreaming, while the Spurs keep on winning.....

that's life, hahahahahahahahaha

BillMc
12-21-2016, 03:37 AM
:lol
If the Glove don't fit you must acquit.

Spurtacular
12-21-2016, 03:39 AM
If P Bev is the best defender in the league, Wardlow must be second.

MaNu4Tres
12-21-2016, 09:18 AM
He gave that game away for the Rockets. The good defenders don't let attention deficit have its ugly affect in crunch time.

If Beverly doesn't dig in to impede Manu's drive (stays on Mills) , it's a wide open Manu or Aldridge lay up. It would have been a 2 on 1 scenario -- Manu & Aldridge vs. Harden.

Beverly made the right play.

TimDunkem
12-21-2016, 10:27 AM
^Watch it again. He could've rotated. Patty had all day to shoot. No excuse.

He fucked up.

MaNu4Tres
12-21-2016, 10:36 AM
^Watch it again. He could've rotated. Patty had all day to shoot. No excuse.

He fucked up.

He did rotate late, but after he stopped Manu's drive. If he didn't stop Manu's drive, Manu or Aldridge gets a lay up over Harden.

Watch again.

Solid D
12-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Lol @ leaving Mills open at the arc to protect against 2 points.

cjw
12-21-2016, 11:55 AM

It was a one point game. You'd rather force the opponent to make a three than a two, though only giving up a two means easier to win vs. tie on the other end.

GSH
12-21-2016, 12:12 PM

Rasheed Wallace gifted us a Championship the same way. ;)

GSH
12-21-2016, 12:15 PM
It was a one point game. You'd rather force the opponent to make a three than a two, though only giving up a two means easier to win vs. tie on the other end.

Rule of thumb - the road team tends to go for 3 and the win more often. The home team tends to go for the 2 and OT more often.

Solid D
12-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Beverly was cheating too much off Patty and Houston had decent interior help. When Hardin followed Green into the paint, Beverly had no other perimeter help at that point.
Beverly was almost 10 feet away at the time of the shot release.

Clyde Drexler said after the play, "you don't ever want to leave Patty Mills open for the last shot" & you know what...he makes a fair point.

dabom
12-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Beverly was cheating too much off Patty and Houston had decent interior help. When Hardin followed Green into the paint, Beverly had no other perimeter help at that point.
Beverly was almost 10 feet away at the time of the shot release.

Clyde Drexler said after the play, "you don't ever want to leave Patty Mills open for the last shot" & you know what...he makes a fair point.

Genius.

MaNu4Tres
12-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Genius.

Clyde Drexler may be one of the worst when talking basketball.

So Beverly should stay to defend the 40% shot, over the 60-80% shot?

That makes sense.

dabom
12-21-2016, 12:32 PM

That makes sense.

I was making fun of how stupid the commentary was. :lol

tmtcsc
12-21-2016, 12:32 PM
If Beverly doesn't dig in to impede Manu's drive (stays on Mills) , it's a wide open Manu or Aldridge lay up. It would have been a 2 on 1 scenario -- Manu & Aldridge vs. Harden.

Beverly made the right play.

I think Harden was the one out of position. He was just standing below the basket - looking lost. Regardless, its astounding no one was in the same area code as Patty.

tmtcsc
12-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Rule of thumb - the road team tends to go for 3 and the win more often. The home team tends to go for the 2 and OT more often.

Patty said it was a busted play. I don't know what they drew up, but Manu driving to the basket for a layup must have been option # 2. He can't elevate like he used to and was most likely going to dish it to LA.

MaNu4Tres
12-21-2016, 12:42 PM
Patty said it was a busted play. I don't know what they drew up, but Manu driving to the basket for a layup must have been option # 2. He can't elevate like he used to and was most likely going to dish it to LA.

It was a busted play.

Go back and watch the tape though, without Beverly digging down to impede Manu's penetration, there was going to be a lay up. Harden was the only player in the lane defending a possible 2 on 1 scenario vs. Manu and Aldridge.

Ariza was on Danny in the corner from the strong side Manu penetrated away from, Gordon was on Kawhi -- who had floated to right below the 3 point line next to Danny and Nene ( the only big) was the one who stepped out to defend Manu but Manu got past him by 2 steps -- so Nene was out of the play and was in no position to defend the paint or anyone.

It basically was a 3 on 2, Manu, LA & Patty vs. Beverly/Harden. Beverly took away the lay up inside and I don't blame Beverly. If there was a player to blame on the Rockets, its Nene for over-committing, giving up the Manu drive.

GSH
12-21-2016, 01:05 PM

Yeah, it wasn't the last shot of the game. Houston was clearly packing the paint to cut off an easy 2. But dayum... they didn't just leave Patty open, they totally ignored him. I know Patty is "only" making 43% of his 3's in games, but I guarantee he would make a lot higher percentage if the other teams always gave him this much room.

http://i65.tinypic.com/10qh40p.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/lwep0.jpg

MaNu4Tres
12-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it wasn't the last shot of the game. Houston was clearly packing the paint to cut off an easy 2. They didn't just leave Patty open, they totally ignored him. I know Patty is "only" making 43% of his 3's in games, but I guarantee he would make a lot higher percentage if the other teams always gave him this much room.

http://i65.tinypic.com/10qh40p.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/lwep0.jpg

Beverly was in a better position than your pictures show to close out. Post the pictures when Manu actually began his drive and during the drive. Don't post the picture when Kawhi has the ball, when Patty is moving from the corner to the wing.

When Manu was driving, Harden was the only player in the paint to defend. Nene, Gordon and Ariza were in no position to defend the paint.

GSH
12-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Beverly was in a better position than your pictures show to close out. Post the pictures when Manu actually began his drive and during the drive. Don't post the picture when Kawhi has the ball, when Patty is moving from the corner to the wing.

When Manu was driving, Harden was the only player in the paint to defend. Nene, Gordon and Ariza were in no position to defend the paint.

Nene was trailing the play the whole way.

Yeah, Beverly COULD have closed on Patty. But Manu would have had an open pass to LMA for a dunk (Okay - layup. It is LMA after all. :lol) They didn't need a 2-on-1 to keep Manu from getting a layup. Manu wasn't getting to the rim, because Harden had that cut off.

The Rockets just chose to cut off the easy 2 in the paint, and left Patty totally unaccounted for.

http://i68.tinypic.com/axh6vs.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/2llnhoj.jpg

spurs10
12-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Nene was trailing the play the whole way.

Yeah, Beverly COULD have closed on Patty. But Manu would have had an open pass to LMA for a dunk (Okay - layup. It is LMA after all. :lol) They didn't need a 2-on-1 to keep Manu from getting a layup. Manu wasn't getting to the rim, because Harden had that cut off.

The Rockets just chose to cut off the easy 2 in the paint, and left Patty totally unaccounted for.

http://i68.tinypic.com/axh6vs.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/2llnhoj.jpg Great pass by Manu! I'm sure the "greatest defender in the NBA" is watching tape with his team right about now.

GSH
12-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Great pass by Manu! I'm sure the "greatest defender in the NBA" is watching tape with his team right about now.

Oh, it's more than just the pass. To really appreciate it, you have to look closely. After Manu dishes that pass to Patty, he keeps running at Beverly and "accidentally" gets their arms tangled. :lol It's not a full-scale grab, but it definitely delayed Beverly enough to make sure that he didn't have any chance to close on Patty. Look really closely at this pic, and you can see Manu's arm around Beverly's waist. In the video, you can see Beverly shake himself loose - but too late.

Those kinds of things are part of the under-appreciated genius of Manu.

http://i63.tinypic.com/23rsrj5.jpg

8FOR!3
12-21-2016, 02:23 PM

Going for the 3 makes sense if you're down by 2, if you're down by 1 it only makes sense if it's either your best shooter or the most open shot available (this situation.)

poeticism707
12-21-2016, 02:31 PM

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Chinook
12-21-2016, 02:35 PM
That play was actually more amazing than you'd think for something being broken. Green's cut forced an awkward internal switch, which gave the Spurs Harden on LMA and Nene on Manu. That gravity did force Pat to stay inside on Manu's drive. But had Beverly been closer to Patty in the first place, it would have been a better stunting angle.

So here's a clip of the whole possession:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_sC44zLmk8

Rockets look to be in a 2-3 zone. They make the first switch very well to keep Nene on Manu, though it's a puzzle why he wasn't on LMA in the first place. Anyway, what fucks everything up is Green cutting while Manu drives.

The Rockets have to make five switches here, but they only get one. Harden passes Green to Ariza. That's good. But then Ariza has to pass Green to Nene, and Nene has to pass Manu to Harden. But there's no time for Ariza to make that switch and get back to LMA, so Harden has to stay on LMA, and Nene has to stay on Manu. So ideally, Harden steps up to stop the drive, Ariza jumps in to prevent the layup and Gordon steps up to stop Green's three.

But then there's Mills and Beverly. Patty is not supposed to be Pat's man when he moves to the wing. That cut is supposed to mean that Harden is responsible. But Harden is too busy in the paint guarding LMA to come out, so Beverly would have to break the zone and run out Mills. He doesn't realize this immediately, which is why there's a gap. He was anticipating getting the hand-off of Manu, but with Nene in pursuit as opposed to a wing, there was nobody to get back to the three-point line.

In maybe a better tl;dr way: Beverly was on step four or five of the rotation, but the rest of the team wasn't able to get past step one. It was supposed to be Harden>Ariza, Ariza>Nene, Harden>Ariza & Nene>Harden and finally Harden>Beverly.

GSH
12-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Going for the 3 makes sense if you're down by 2, if you're down by 1 it only makes sense if it's either your best shooter or the most open shot available (this situation.)

No, you're right. I was doing something else while catching up here, and just blew that one.

I was actually sitting there thinking how Houston ending that game with two 3-point attempts was a weak-assed way to go for the home team. I know they shoot lots of 3's, but when you're the home team and have a chance to make 2 to tie and send it to OT, that's the percentage play - unless you don't think you can win it in OT. Posted before thinking.

I don't care if it's Game 7 of the Finals. If they're giving Patty Mills a totally uncontested 3 to win, that's at least as good as an easy deuce to get to OT. But even better with that much time left on the clock. If he misses, the Spurs could still foul and have time to get a 3 to tie.

GSH
12-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Harden passes Green to Ariza. That's good.

Meh. IMO, that play broke down because Harden didn't hand Green off to Ariza. Harden picked Danny up heading into the paint, but when Ariza picked him up, Harden continued to chase him.

You can see in the last shot, Harden chased Danny all the way across the paint, even after Ariza had picked him up. You can even see Ariza looking over his shoulder at LMA standing alone near the basket. If Beverly moves toward the open Patty, Manu slings a pass to Aldridge for the dunk - without question.

I know the thread is about Beverly's defense, but Harden continuing to follow Danny to the other side of the paint was the killer. Nene came over to double Kawhi, and lost sight of Manu, so he was behind the play the rest of the way. And I still love the fact that Manu "accidentally" tangled up Beverly after he made that pass, to keep him from even thinking about closing on Patty.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1in8ci.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/256xukj.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/2s1t1xj.jpg

Chinook
12-21-2016, 04:40 PM
Meh. IMO, that play broke down because Harden didn't hand Green off to Ariza. Harden picked Danny up heading into the paint, but when Ariza picked him up, Harden continued to chase him.

You can see in the last shot, Harden chased Danny all the way across the paint, even after Ariza had picked him up. You can even see Ariza looking over his shoulder at LMA standing alone near the basket. If Beverly moves toward the open Patty, Manu slings a pass to Aldridge for the dunk - without question.

I know the thread is about Beverly's defense, but Harden continuing to follow Danny to the other side of the paint was the killer. Nene came over to double Kawhi, and lost sight of Manu, so he was behind the play the rest of the way. And I still love the fact that Manu "accidentally" tangled up Beverly after he made that pass, to keep him from even thinking about closing on Patty.

You're not going to have to work hard for me to say Harden played bad defense. But I think what really broke the zone was the two things happening simultaneously with the largest gravity wells. Manu going immediately off the bounce meant Nene had no time to take Green, so Harden never got to his real responsibility, which would be Manu. Had James been a step faster in releasing Danny, maybe he would have been in better position to help on LMA. But I guess the end result would have been an open three anyway. No way would Harden on LMA end well for Houston. Someone's doubling off that.

8FOR!3
12-21-2016, 04:42 PM
No, you're right. I was doing something else while catching up here, and just blew that one.

I was actually sitting there thinking how Houston ending that game with two 3-point attempts was a weak-assed way to go for the home team. I know they shoot lots of 3's, but when you're the home team and have a chance to make 2 to tie and send it to OT, that's the percentage play - unless you don't think you can win it in OT. Posted before thinking.

I don't care if it's Game 7 of the Finals. If they're giving Patty Mills a totally uncontested 3 to win, that's at least as good as an easy deuce to get to OT. But even better with that much time left on the clock. If he misses, the Spurs could still foul and have time to get a 3 to tie.

I agree. The first three by Eric Gordon was definitely weak. The second by Harden wasn't executed properly, but I think he's a tough guard in that situation because you have to worry about him flopping and drawing the foul shooting a 3. Still can't believe we won that game. Hoping eventually Dedmon gets a chance to start some games though. Not a knack on Pau I think he's fit in well but against the Rockets I think he hurt us when guys wanted to drive to the basket on him.

MaNu4Tres
12-21-2016, 04:48 PM

http://i66.tinypic.com/1in8ci.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/256xukj.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/2s1t1xj.jpg

Harden followed Danny because they were man to man ( even though it looks like a 2 -3 zone it wasn't). If it was a 2-3 Zone Harden never follows Green all the way the the basket. Ariza and Harden simply switched ( which means Pringles told them to switch everything).

Nene never doubled Kawhi. Nene showed at Kawhi for a brief second and recovered back into position to contest a potential pass to Manu. He was guarding Manu and didn't see Manu slide over to the wing with his peripherals. Nene was a step behind Manu moving over to the wing from the corner and by the time Manu got the ball, Manu was in attack mode and got Nene out of position and out of the play.

Clipper Nation
12-21-2016, 05:20 PM
It's a good thing MVPatty was on the court. If that was LVPorker, he'd have bent over for Beverley like so:

http://i.imgur.com/LJa6vjC.jpg

GSH
12-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Nene never doubled Kawhi. Nene showed at Kawhi for a brief second and recovered back into position to contest a potential pass to Manu. He was guarding Manu and didn't see Manu slide over to the wing with his peripherals. Nene was a step behind Manu moving over to the wing from the corner and by the time Manu got the ball, Manu was in attack mode and got Nene out of position and out of the play.

Call it what you want to. There's no screen being set - Nene just comes over to help on Kawhi (and totally loses sight of Manu). When they cut Kawhi off, he recovers back toward Manu, but it's too late. If you look at the video, you'll see that Nene was actually coming back to help on Kawhi again, when he saw Manu moving and started chasing. That's the second pic below - Nene starting to come back to help on Kawhi a second time, and losing Manu.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2qdbcli.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/hthc10.png

DMC
12-22-2016, 12:42 AM
Houston was up enough to relax and once they did they couldn't get back to speed while SA was playing like a wounded animal.

Spur|n|Austin
12-22-2016, 12:44 AM

He sincerely looks like someone who has benefited from Zeke's dive in the Salvation Army pot!

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-22-2016, 04:29 AM
The breakdown of that last play in this thread is probably more detailed than what D'Antoni would have presented his players with.

ceperez
12-22-2016, 04:50 AM

That makes sense.

I think the odds are about the same, he had to chose his poison and in this case he lost.