PDA

View Full Version : Only Championship Contenders

UNT Eagles 2016
12-21-2016, 06:51 PM
....win a game like that, on the road against another elite team who is also a fierce division rival, down 13 with 4 minutes to go, the game's practically over, the other team has too much firepower to come back against.....

That's the kind of 2003, 2005 shit we pulled fairly regularly and need to get back to if we want to win another championship.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-21-2016, 06:54 PM
Step away from the keyboard

ElNono
12-21-2016, 08:22 PM
It's puff puff pass

lilbthebasedgod
12-21-2016, 08:54 PM
I love how some people would rather us win games by two than twenty because it shows we can "battle adversity"

spurs10
12-21-2016, 09:08 PM
I love how some people would rather us win games by two than twenty because it shows we can "battle adversity" Yeah the close games are more exciting, but I do love a good old fashion beatdown.

dabom
12-21-2016, 09:17 PM
I love how some people would rather us win games by two than twenty because it shows we can "battle adversity"

Almost like grind it out close out playoff games. :lmao

12-21-2016, 09:27 PM
Point differential really worked out for us last year :lmao

lilbthebasedgod
12-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Point differential really worked out for us last year :lmao

And close really worked out in 08-09

Seventyniner
12-21-2016, 09:46 PM
This game doesn't make up for McGrady's 13 points in 35 seconds.......but I'll take it.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-21-2016, 10:46 PM
This game doesn't make up for McGrady's 13 points in 35 seconds.......but I'll take it.

remember, there were free throws mixed in that game. We were only up 7.

SpurPadre
12-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Capela didn't play last night so:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4o2MqBL1TTI/TArRuM9QsUI/AAAAAAAAA7M/zLFjhpX4LDg/s1600/pulp+fiction+mister+wolf+7a.jpg

DMC
12-22-2016, 12:20 AM
Yeah the close games are more exciting, but I do love a good old fashion beatdown.

Don't worry, we have one coming our way soon.

100%duncan
12-22-2016, 12:36 AM

I love posters who think the spurs can blow any team out by 20

spurs10
12-22-2016, 01:13 AM
Don't worry, we have one coming our way soon. Ye of little faith! :lol

r0drig0lac
12-22-2016, 06:23 AM
Don't worry, we have one coming our way soon.

Step away from the keyboard

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

GSH
12-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Yep - that automatically makes the Spurs championship contenders. I mean, there's no other way to explain it. It's not like a guy could score 13 points in 35 seconds or something. For sure not to close an 11 point deficit with only a couple of minutes to go. Because if he did, his team would win the championship - not go out in the first round. And the other team couldn't possibly be the one to win the championship that year.

No, this game definitely proved that we'll be winning it all again this season.

(BTW - T-Mac did that to the 04-05 Spurs. Another elite team, and a fierce division rival. During the years that you say the Spurs were winning all those kinds of games. And they were NEVER championship contenders, because there was no way in hell that they were going to get by the Spurs. Some shots fell. That's all it proved.)

Fireball
12-22-2016, 10:30 AM
this league has a champion and one contender ... sadly the Spurs are not despite that great win

DarrinS
12-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Good thing a low percentage of their 38 3PA went in.

Joseph Kony
12-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Spurs may look shitty sometimes, but all those beatdowns got us nowhere last year, and it's nice to see the Spurs have executed pretty fucking spectacularly down the stretch in most games, even if they were hot trash in the first half. Hard to be happy about scraping wins out but at least we know when the game gets tight spurs can still execute their offense without issue and their defense has generally clamped down late

Darius Bieber
12-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Let's be real.. The NBA are gonna milk their cash-cow with a Warriors-Cavs final. Spurs are not contenders.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-22-2016, 01:44 PM
this league has a champion and one contender ... sadly the Spurs are not despite that great win

It's December 22, 2002. The Spurs are 17-10 and 5th place in the West, there's DAL, SAC, MIN, and UTA ahead of us. Are we contenders??

It's December 22, 2006. The Spurs are a very distant 3rd place in the West behind DAL and PHX. Are we contenders??

dabom
12-22-2016, 02:57 PM
OP dishing out Truth Cereal like a lunch lady. :props

Mark in Austin
12-22-2016, 03:15 PM
It's a D'Antoni team. Empty calories.

Fireball
12-22-2016, 05:02 PM
It's December 22, 2002. The Spurs are 17-10 and 5th place in the West, there's DAL, SAC, MIN, and UTA ahead of us. Are we contenders??

It's December 22, 2006. The Spurs are a very distant 3rd place in the West behind DAL and PHX. Are we contenders??

league pass did not exist at that time so I have no personal experience of these seasons ... but they did not win in the end. and there was no competition like the Dubs ... they are unreal ...

Joseph Kony
12-22-2016, 05:13 PM

It's December 22, 2006. The Spurs are a very distant 3rd place in the West behind DAL and PHX. Are we contenders??Both those teams had prime Duncan and the latter had prime Manu/entering prime Parker...not even relevant to bring up imho

UNT Eagles 2016
12-22-2016, 05:15 PM
league pass did not exist at that time so I have no personal experience of these seasons ... but they did not win in the end. and there was no competition like the Dubs ... they are unreal ...
Wroooooooong...

... and wrooooooong.

You must be a povertyball fan... :lmao :lmao :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
12-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Both those teams had prime Duncan and the latter had prime Manu/entering prime Parker...not even relevant to bring up imho

prime Leonard > prime Manu and Parker... also >>>> Stephen Jackson or Michael Finley

Green > Bowen because Green can actually shoot threes from other places besides the corner. Both are a wash defensively.

LMA = Duncan

Parker now <<< Parker then, I'll give you credit for that... Manu now is basically a Brent Barry from 2005, or Manu in 2003 (his rookie year).

Mills >> Claxton or Vaughn, those guys couldn't shoot beyond 15 feet

Pau > Robinson or Oberto

Dedmon = Willis or Elson

GSH
12-22-2016, 05:24 PM

LMAO! Daring to compare this team to those teams with the Big 3 in their primes. Even for you that's fucking stupid. :lol

Edit: Leave it to you to double down on fucking stupid. :rollin

prime Leonard > prime Manu and Parker... also >>>> Stephen Jackson or Michael Finley

Green > Bowen because Green can actually shoot threes from other places besides the corner. Both are a wash defensively. Stop it... I'm laughing so hard I'm about to choke!

LMA = Duncan Stupidest statement - not of the year, but ever. Seriously, the stupidest statement ever made on ST.

Parker now <<< Parker then, I'll give you credit for that... Manu now is basically a Brent Barry from 2005, or Manu in 2003 (his rookie year).

Pau > Robinson or Oberto

Dedmon = Willis or Elson

GSH
12-22-2016, 05:32 PM
OP dishing out Truth Cereal like a lunch lady. :props

He just said that LMA = Duncan (in his prime). Is that truth cereal, too?

Two fucking mental midgets watching each other's backs. :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
12-22-2016, 05:34 PM
LMAO! Daring to compare this team to those teams with the Big 3 in their primes. Even for you that's fucking stupid. :lol

Edit: Leave it to you to double down on fucking stupid. :rollin
Jim Duncan may be the most overrated player of all time. He was a very good traditional big man inside scorer in his prime, albeit a bit lanky. Never had a solid outside or midrange jumper nor could he shoot the three-ball or space the floor. Drew a lot of fouls, not good from the free-throw line. Spoon-fed by guards for most of his baskets and points in the second half of his career. The four-down post up play the first half (and prime) of his career was far less successful in an analytical, points-per-possession sense than our current free-flowing, motion offense centered on ball movement. Solid interior defender, though had his issues with size and never guarded the biggest elite centers in the game. Never was very athletic, agile, or fast unlike other PFs of his generation including Kevin Garnett and Dirk Nowitzki.

mookie2001
12-22-2016, 05:52 PM
UNT makes like 30 an hour so just extrapolate that 1200 x 52 and he's only 22

TheDoctor
12-22-2016, 06:04 PM
It's a D'Antoni team. Empty calories.

Joseph Kony
12-22-2016, 06:05 PM

Green > Bowen because Green can actually shoot threes from other places besides the corner. Both are a wash defensively.

LMA = Duncan

Pau > Robinson or Oberto

Dedmon = Willis or Elsononly people who dont know shit about ball try to use the "x <<<< y" argument for determining better teams tbh :lol and CROFL @ lma = prime Tim Duncan because if that was the case spurs would be the fucking title favorites easily :lmao nigga you trolling. then again i know you're like 20 years old and certainly don't remember what 2003 duncan was like, tbh

dabom
12-22-2016, 06:42 PM
He just said that LMA = Duncan (in his prime). Is that truth cereal, too?

Two fucking mental midgets watching each other's backs. :lol

OK sometimes he takes it overboard. He should have said kawhi=Tim and Manu+Tony=Patty+LMA.

tonight...you
12-22-2016, 06:49 PM
OK sometimes he takes it overboard. He should have said kawhi=Tim and Manu+Tony=Patty+LMA.

That dude just said "Jim Duncan is the most overrated... of all time". He also constantly talks shit about the team, says the Cowboys are his #1 and the Spurs are his filler time and wishes for them to lose.
Yeah... he fucking sucks as a poster and always has. Jump off the deck before it catches fire.

dabom
12-22-2016, 07:04 PM
That dude just said "Jim Duncan is the most overrated... of all time". He also constantly talks shit about the team, says the Cowboys are his #1 and the Spurs are his filler time and wishes for them to lose.
Yeah... he fucking sucks as a poster and always has. Jump off the deck before it catches fire.

Dude is a faggot. But I agree with OP's assessment of the Spurs right now. :lol

tonight...you
12-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Dude is a faggot. But I agree with OP's assessment of the Spurs right now. :lol
http://2damnfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Joker-Deadpool-High-Five-Low-Five-Tricks.gif

GSH
12-22-2016, 11:38 PM
Just looking at that weak-assed shit by Aldridge tonight. Every bit as good as Duncan. :lol

Jim Duncan may be the most overrated player of all time.

You now own the two stupidest things ever said on ST. You're on a roll.

dabom
12-22-2016, 11:42 PM
Just looking at that weak-assed shit by Aldridge tonight. Every bit as good as Duncan. :lol

You now own the two stupidest things ever said on ST. You're on a roll.

Shut yo bitch ass up. :lol

Arcadian
12-22-2016, 11:47 PM
LMA = Duncan

WTF? No. From 2002-06, Duncan was a God-tier player. As good as Dirk and Garnett were, Duncan was next-level.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-22-2016, 11:48 PM
Pof.com is DOWN for everyone.
It is not just you. The server is not responding...

UNT Eagles 2016
12-22-2016, 11:48 PM
WTF? No. From 2002-06, Duncan was a God-tier player. As good as Dirk and Garnett were, Duncan was next-level.

Duncan could only score on the inside though, and a lot of his buckets were spoonfed, more than almost all other HOF big men. He couldn't shoot midrange worth a damn and refused to spot up for three.

Arcadian
12-22-2016, 11:52 PM
Duncan could only score on the inside though, and a lot of his buckets were spoonfed, more than almost all other HOF big men. He couldn't shoot midrange worth a damn and refused to spot up for three.

Ugh...awful take. He was only the best post player of his generation, so even if that was his only scoring position, that's not a bad thing. But you forget he actually did develop an excellent midrange jumper around 2011. He changed his game to fit the motion offense.

But seriously, watch some youtube videos of Duncan in 2002. He was a fucking monster. Prime LMA doesn't hold a candle to Prime Duncan, much less current LMA.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-22-2016, 11:55 PM
Ugh...awful take. He was only the best post player of his generation, so even if that was his only scoring position, that's not a bad thing. But you forget he actually did develop an excellent midrange jumper around 2011. He changed his game to fit the motion offense.

But seriously, watch some youtube videos of Duncan in 2002. He was a fucking monster. Prime LMA doesn't hold a candle to Prime Duncan, much less current LMA.
He was a terrible midrange jump shooter late in his career, actually. He was good at hanging around the rim and getting spoonfed layups and finishing, but I wanted to cringe every time I saw him try to face up and take his man himself in the post (he's nearly always get blocked or miss badly) post 2008 or so.

Duncan's best year of midrange jump shooting (as per the eye test, I have no stats to back it up but it's just what I saw) was actually around 2005. IIRC he made a couple big jumpers in the 4th quarter of game 7 against the Pistons to help win the championship that year. Also was reliable against teams like Phoenix, Seattle, and helping us win a record 38 home games that year. That was the best Spurs team ever.

Arcadian
12-23-2016, 12:02 AM
He was a terrible midrange jump shooter late in his career, actually. He was good at hanging around the rim and getting spoonfed layups and finishing, but I wanted to cringe every time I saw him try to face up and take his man himself in the post (he's nearly always get blocked or miss badly) post 2008 or so.

Duncan's best year of midrange jump shooting (as per the eye test, I have no stats to back it up but it's just what I saw) was actually around 2005. IIRC he made a couple big jumpers in the 4th quarter of game 7 against the Pistons to help win the championship that year. Also was reliable against teams like Phoenix, Seattle, and helping us win a record 38 home games that year. That was the best Spurs team ever.

Yes his jumper fell off after 2013, but he became a pick and pop player in the Parker-led offense. It was even acknowledged by Pop that he adjusted his game.

Why do you believe he was spoon fed most of his points?? That's bullshit, man. I can understand if you didn't watch basketball 15 years ago, but know that you've been misinformed. He was a terrific one-on-one scorer in his prime, and he quarterbacked the offense from the post. The entire offense revolved around him. He was a great passer out of the post, and he even had an excellent dribble-drive game in his younger years. He was the opposite of a one-dimensional player like Amare Stoudemire, who actually was spoon fed most of his points by Nash.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-23-2016, 03:54 AM
Yes his jumper fell off after 2013, but he became a pick and pop player in the Parker-led offense. It was even acknowledged by Pop that he adjusted his game.

Why do you believe he was spoon fed most of his points?? That's bullshit, man. I can understand if you didn't watch basketball 15 years ago, but know that you've been misinformed. He was a terrific one-on-one scorer in his prime, and he quarterbacked the offense from the post. The entire offense revolved around him. He was a great passer out of the post, and he even had an excellent dribble-drive game in his younger years. He was the opposite of a one-dimensional player like Amare Stoudemire, who actually was spoon fed most of his points by Nash.

That was one of his best redeeming qualities. He got a lot of turnovers doing that in about 2002 when teams were zone-happy on defense all of a sudden after they allowed zones to return to the NBA, but adjusted in 2003 and that helped us score more points, commit less turnovers and ultimately win the championship. I do remember those crisp passes out to Stephen Jackson for those threes in the 4th quarter of the Nets Game 6 that helped us win that title.

You've got to acknowledge, however, that Duncan always had his limitations. At best he was an average mid range shooter for a big man, and far worse than an elite one like Webber or Nowitzki or Malone. He also wasn't a brute force dominator like a Shaq, nor was he an athletic dynamo like Amare, Garnett, or early David Robinson/Shawn Kemp. Duncan was very good, no doubt, but he wasn't necessarily special at anything, nor was he the type to take over and dominate a game. Case in point, his career high was only a meager 53 points (in an OT game we lost!) and he very seldomly even approached 50 outside of that one. Didn't ever come close to 60.

GSH
12-23-2016, 10:17 AM
The Clipstars own the SA Shits in the ass. Embrace this bitter truth, and welcome it into your heart. :makeout

So the secret to the Spurs winning a championship this year is to avoid the Clippers at all costs? I mean, they are obviously contenders, so long as they don't have to play the Clippers. Golden State... Cleveland? No problem. Just not the Clippers.

Oooh, I hate those fucking Clippers.

Duncan was very good, no doubt, but he wasn't necessarily special at anything, nor was he the type to take over and dominate a game.

Well the good news is, your other two posts have now moved down to the #2 and #3 stupidest things ever said on ST. :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
12-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Well the good news is, your other two posts have now moved down to the #2 and #3 stupidest things ever said on ST. :lol

name me/post me a game where he did... a game with Stephen Jackson and Speedy Claxton bailing the Spurs out with a bunch of clutch contested jumpers in a row doesn't count...

Benoit
12-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Amen brother

UNT Eagles 2016 is the most unbiased and real spur fan Ive seen on this forum

Jim was a system player that was carried by Pop and by Tony parker later in his career

Benoit
12-23-2016, 04:57 PM
Kobe and Pop together win at least 8 championships

daslicer
12-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Kobe and Pop together win at least 8 championships

Kool I doubt it. Kobe gets Pop fired the moment Pop tells him to get over himself. Kobe is a very sensitive guy hence all the times he lashed out at Shaq and Phil through the media.

Benoit
12-23-2016, 05:03 PM
Kool I doubt it. Kobe gets Pop fired the moment Pop tells him to get over himself. Kobe is a very sensitive guy hence all the times he lashed out at Shaq and Phil through the media.

lmao what? have you seen Pop and Kobe together?? Pop loves Mamba

daslicer
12-23-2016, 05:05 PM
lmao what? have you seen Pop and Kobe together?? Pop loves Mamba

That doesn't mean anything Pop is very good at being fake with people. Pop is also very friendly with Demarcus Cousins. :lol Do you think he's ever going to try to trade for Cousins?

Seventyniner
12-23-2016, 05:09 PM
So the secret to the Spurs winning a championship this year is to avoid the Clippers at all costs? I mean, they are obviously contenders, so long as they don't have to play the Clippers. Golden State... Cleveland? No problem. Just not the Clippers.

Oooh, I hate those fucking Clippers.

Kind of like the assumption that the Spurs had to avoid the Thunder at all costs in 2014 because the Spurs went 0-4 against them in the regular season.