PDA

View Full Version : Remember This Classic Spurs-Lakers Game?

NameOfTheGame
12-21-2016, 08:32 PM
I vividly remember this game. We were coming off a championship and the Lakers assembled a super-team to take us out. Timmy and Tony were both out with injuries and Manu was still seen as merely a solid role player. Kobe, Shaq, Gary Payton, and Karl Malone...vs. Manu and a rag-tag group of Spurs that included a dude named Jason Hart and Australian Shane Heal, who I'm pretty sure was not even on the team a few weeks later.
It was a double-overtime thriller. Manu had 33/12/7 and damn-near stole the game...and he allowed me to talk so much shit the next day to the other kids at my Southern California high school, despite the Spurs having lost the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zhDrzorXs

daslicer
12-21-2016, 09:36 PM
I still remember the bs 8 second violation call against Jason Hart that cost the spurs the game. Prior to that game I had never seen in a game the 8 second violation called before. It was also a new rule that had just come out that year.

12-21-2016, 09:45 PM
Blew a double digit lead lol

Seventyniner
12-21-2016, 09:46 PM
On reading the thread title I thought you meant the Roger Mason Jr. kind-of ball dance on his and-1 after Kobe did the full nut juggle after hitting a big 3 in 2008-2009.

But this game was a classic too, just didn't go the Spurs' way.

mookie2001
12-21-2016, 09:50 PM
Name pronounced 9 different ways in that video lol

SPURt
12-21-2016, 10:03 PM
I would give anything to have another season with 2004-2007 Duncan and Ginobili. Ginobili would've eaten today's NBA alive. I love the Kobe nutmeg in this video!

NameOfTheGame
12-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Kobe had no idea Manu was such a baller...lol. You can see Phil Jackson and Frank Hamblin(?) and the other Laker coaches like so annoyed and puzzled that this skinny Argentinian kid was wrecking shop on them...so funny.

Imagining what a prime Manu would do in today's game...wow. We'd have so much fun watching him take down the crowned media darling superstars every week...haha

DarrinS
12-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Damn, I remember that game. I forgot how fast he was. :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
12-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Man, that game was amazing! Thought the final shot was going to go in, one of the craziest regular season games of it's time.

PÒÓCH
12-22-2016, 12:59 AM
Nice to see all those former forgotten spurs again.

Sean Cagney
12-22-2016, 01:53 AM

Spurs around that era would routinely blow those leads :lol. They would drive me crazy around that time. Whenever a run was coming I would always say here we go again (Granted Tim was out that game etc.).

ElNono
12-22-2016, 02:23 AM
:lol People bitch about surrounding cast nowadays but that team was basically Horry and sophomore Manu, besides TD, TP and Bowen...

IIRC, we featured a stiff like Rasho and that choker Hideous Turkoglu... smh

EDIT: Malik Rose was still around too, right?

spurraider21
12-22-2016, 02:25 AM
remember this. my favorite spurs loss of all time

the highlight at 0:53 is iconic for manu imo

Sean Cagney
12-22-2016, 02:28 AM

YES indeed......

Spurtacular
12-22-2016, 04:10 AM
I vividly remember this game. We were coming off a championship and the Lakers assembled a super-team to take us out. Timmy and Tony were both out with injuries and Manu was still seen as merely a solid role player. Kobe, Shaq, Gary Payton, and Karl Malone...vs. Manu and a rag-tag group of Spurs that included a dude named Jason Hart and Australian Shane Heal, who I'm pretty sure was not even on the team a few weeks later.
It was a double-overtime thriller. Manu had 33/12/7 and damn-near stole the game...and he allowed me to talk so much shit the next day to the other kids at my Southern California high school, despite the Spurs having lost the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zhDrzorXs

I never saw Manu as merely a (solid) role player.

Spurtacular
12-22-2016, 04:12 AM

Lots of BS calls to give the Lakers the game though.

Spurtacular
12-22-2016, 04:14 AM
Back when Manu had some serious wheels and steering.

ceperez
12-22-2016, 05:00 AM
No wonder we won 4 championships with him on the team.

NameOfTheGame
12-22-2016, 07:27 AM
No wonder we won 4 championships with him on the team.

Manu gets a free pass for life from me.

boutons_deux
12-22-2016, 08:27 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200311060SAS.html

spursparker9
12-22-2016, 08:28 AM

true true

Chillen
12-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Yes, I watched the whole game and remember being pissed Manu missed the game winner because he had such an awesome game it would have been perfect. That 2004 Lakers team was assembled to take down the Spurs, but in this game what was witnessed was a prime Ginobili just tearing apart a team with 4 future HOF's despite getting the L in the column that evening. That was a great regular season game! Without Duncan, Parker, Bowen and they almost beat them in double OT. Also Manu was harder to guard than Curry is today and quicker and craftier, respect Manu.

Russ
12-22-2016, 09:17 AM
I forgot every Lakers-Spurs game from that season except one. The one I can't forget.

GSH
12-22-2016, 09:35 AM
LOL... I had forgotten that there was a time when Manu didn't flare his elbow when shooting 3's. :lol If he could get that stroke back, he really might keep playing another couple of years.

OMG that version of Manu was fun to watch, and that game was just an incredible performance. I love watching it now, and seeing him frustrate the shit out of Shaq. Those plays where he takes huge contact going toward the basket, and as he's falling he flips the ball back over his shoulder and turns it into an and-1 still make my jaw drop. And on top of all that, he was a tenacious defender.

He could have been a starter and an All-Star on just about any other team. And he just made the game fun to watch.

MultiTroll
12-22-2016, 09:44 AM
FkLa or anyone who can isolate and .gif the 1:32 mark.
Manu with a between the legs pass for the layup. The Laker defender was some almond shaped head rookie looking punk wearing #8.

This needs to made a .gif!
Captured for current and future generations of SpursFans.
And some LakerPhans. :lol

GSH
12-22-2016, 01:04 PM
FkLa or anyone who can isolate and .gif the 1:32 mark.
Manu with a between the legs pass for the layup. The Laker defender was some almond shaped head rookie looking punk wearing #8.

This needs to made a .gif!
Captured for current and future generations of SpursFans.
And some LakerPhans. :lol

I'll see your gif and raise you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AvZQzj7CA