PDA

View Full Version : NBA: FURIOUS George. Karl goes in on Melo, JR Smith and Kenyon...in new book

Killakobe81
12-22-2016, 08:40 AM
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/12/22/george-karl-book-carmelo-anthony

Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him," Karl wrote in "Furious George," according to a copy obtained by the New York Post. "He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it."

ambchang
12-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Carmelo always reminded me of Bernard King in the way they approach the game, all offense no defense. Offensive games are also some of the smoothest and varied. Pull up, fast break, post up, step back, attack the lane, they got it all.

That said, attitude-wise, Melo seemed to have a negative vibe about it. Neither of them ever exhibited that strong will to win, and seemed more focused on getting their points rather than winning. Melo seemed less coachable, and his need to be the focus of attention appeared to be stronger.

I would put them in the same ilk with Nique, Purvis Short, Kiki Vanderwegh, Alex English, and such. Guys who can score in bunches, but never really helped their team become true contenders.

ambchang
12-22-2016, 10:33 AM
That said, Karl doesn't have the best reputation as a coach in terms of how he treat his players.

MultiTroll
12-22-2016, 10:42 AM
Karl was also critical of J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin, calling those two along with Anthony, "AAU babies" and "the spoiled brats you see in junior golf and junior tennis."

Karl also said Smith, now with the Cavaliers, had “a huge sense of entitlement, a distracting posse, his eye always on the next contract and some really unbelievable shot selection.’’

Nicely done George. If someone can uncover how in the hell J.R. Smith was chosen to be on LeBrons coat tails I am all ears. Not once, but then again after the Championship.

hater
12-22-2016, 01:17 PM
Did Karl write anything that we didnt know??

Chris
12-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Biggest crybaby coach ever

lefty
12-22-2016, 01:56 PM
lol Karl inbounding the ball with a midget with Lamar Odom defending the inbound play

Killakobe81
12-22-2016, 02:21 PM
I do think he is overrated and did less with more...
but is any of that shocking or breaking news?

spursistan
12-22-2016, 02:28 PM
I do think he is overrated and did less with more...
but is any of that shocking or breaking news?

Yep..Not a fan of Melo, but Karl is easily the most overrated NBA coach of the past 25 years..total opposite of someone like Rick Adelman who is shockingly overlooked in these debates despite given the far more stacked Phil-led teams in 1990s and 2000s big fits (Blazers/Kings and Aaron Brooks-led Rockets :lol)

tonight...you
12-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Carmelo always reminded me of Bernard King in the way they approach the game, all offense no defense. Offensive games are also some of the smoothest and varied. Pull up, fast break, post up, step back, attack the lane, they got it all.

That said, attitude-wise, Melo seemed to have a negative vibe about it. Neither of them ever exhibited that strong will to win, and seemed more focused on getting their points rather than winning. Melo seemed less coachable, and his need to be the focus of attention appeared to be stronger.

I would put them in the same ilk with Nique, Purvis Short, Kiki Vanderwegh, Alex English, and such. Guys who can score in bunches, but never really helped their team become true contenders.
When Manu entered the League, he reminded me very much of Vandeweghe. Being that he was one of my favorite non-Spur players, it made me happy, but Manu showed he was much more than another Kiki, through his career.

StrengthAndHonor
12-22-2016, 06:52 PM
The problem with Melo is he's always been a one dimensional player. He can't defend, he can't make his teammates better, you don't see him hustle and he's not a vocal leader. He exist to simply put the ball in the basket. He's Cedric Ceballos reincarnate.

spursistan
12-22-2016, 06:55 PM
:wow

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0UNAE3WIAAAxn7.jpg

The father comment was disgraceful , tbh..

UZER
12-22-2016, 08:04 PM
So Kenyon is excusing bad behavior, but not if you have a father?

Mnky
12-22-2016, 10:48 PM
Kenyon proving Karl right and getting Karl more sales tbh.

Some people just don't get it.

daslicer
12-23-2016, 06:57 PM
The problem with Melo is he's always been a one dimensional player. He can't defend, he can't make his teammates better, you don't see him hustle and he's not a vocal leader. He exist to simply put the ball in the basket. He's Cedric Ceballos reincarnate.

I always felt he was a more athletic Glen Robinson.

Trill Clinton
12-23-2016, 07:07 PM
low blow from karl. melo's father died of liver cancer. dude is a coward.

Trill Clinton
12-23-2016, 07:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dUKFKjs61U

ambchang
12-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Kmart has a point about the father comment. It was a low blow.

It's essentially what happens when you have a group of egomaniacs getting together.

Thread
12-23-2016, 08:07 PM
He got 'em, got 'em good too.

Is there any danger of their introspection? tee, hee.

Koolaid_Man
12-24-2016, 05:05 PM
So Kenyon is excusing bad behavior, but not if you have a father?

aww shut the fuck up....the fact these niggas didn't have fathers for whatever reason and still made it to the NBA speaks volumes about them as MEN......Karl's fucking son don't and can't compare to these guys.....that weak ass son of his had a father and was still a shitty player who only got to the league because his Pops was a coach....If I was Kenyon I would go after Karl and his son and his cancer....I would say he only wanted pity because he got cancer.....you want to play dirty then FUCK YOU!!!

If I was Kenyon I would be like I supported your sorry ass through your cancer and this how you repay me? Fuck off George Karl....you're a fucking fraud..and I take every prayer back

Will Hunting
12-24-2016, 06:03 PM
Did Karl write anything that we didnt know??

:lol no kidding

"I'm going to write a book about all the character issues on a team people referred to as the Thuggets. I'm sure people will be totally surprised!"

The whole thing seems like an attention grabbing ploy by Karl.

-21-
12-24-2016, 06:06 PM
What Karl wrote about those players may be true but it just makes him look even worse.It was a low blow and the father comment crossed the line.

He has a lot of nerve to trash his players when he, as a coach, pulled shit like this:

Even though The Denver Post is reporting that the Nuggets have 'four or five' inbounds plays, the Nuggets have erred in that department to disastrous, game-losing results twice in the Western Conference Finals. But if you think this is the first and only time that head coach George Karl has presided over errant inbounds pass plays, read on...

March 26, 2007. After outplaying a very good Detroit Pistons team for most of the night, the Nuggets are up three at The Palace with 1.5 seconds left and the ball out-of-bounds. All the Nuggets need to do is inbound the basketball, secure it and the game is over. But rather than take this game-ending play seriously, Nuggets center Marcus Camby casually flips the ball towards Carmelo Anthony, the Pistons Tayshaun Prince tips it to teammate Rasheed Wallace who makes a miracle 60-foot buzzer beater. "You could give him a hundred and he wouldn’t make one, but he made one," Karl said afterward. "I personally would have liked the ball to be thrown more toward the rim or the corner, but you can’t criticize a lucky shot. That was a lucky shot."

November 7, 2008. With 2:54 left in the fourth quarter, the Nuggets are clinging to a 99-98 lead, when the ball goes out of bounds to the Nuggets underneath their own basket. Chauncey's fear is realized. The team has no out-of-bounds play. Karl just wants them to improvise, to use their basketball instincts, but Chauncey can't live that way. So he calls time.

In the huddle, they're all stumped. J.R. Smith tells Anthony: "He just got here, and he's calling timeouts?" But Chauncey waves them close and starts in: "Look, George, I need you to draw me up an out-of-bounds play, man, to get the ball in. Because if we don't and we turn the ball over and lose this game because we didn't have something, that just won't sit well with me."

Karl and the team's response is: wow.

May 19, 2009. As Nuggets fans know all too well, the Nuggets had possession of the ball and were down just two points with 29 seconds to play at Staples Center in Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals. But even though the Lakers are the NBA's tallest team, Karl elects to have his shortest player - all six feet of Anthony Carter - inbound ball against the 6'9" Lamar Odom. Unable to see the floor accurately and with the Nuggets not running any picks to get players open, Carter's errant attempt is tipped by the Lakers Trevor Ariza and the Lakers never look back. Game over.

May 23, 2009. In theory learning from his collosal Game 1 mistake, Karl inserts Kenyon Martin to inbound the ball with 36 seconds left and the Nuggets down just two again. After not being able to throw the ball in on his first try because - again - no picks are properly set to get a Nuggets player open, K-Mart correctly calls a timeout. This in theory giving Karl another shot at drawing up a better inbounds play. But on the ensuing throw-in, the Nuggets are again unable to get a player open, K-Mart throws a poor pass towards Melo and Ariza - again - tips the ball and steals the victory.

ElNono
12-24-2016, 08:36 PM
:lol no kidding

"I'm going to write a book about all the character issues on a team people referred to as the Thuggets. I'm sure people will be totally surprised!"

The whole thing seems like an attention grabbing ploy by Karl.

Happy Hanukkah! Jew celebrating with family and friends, tbh?

apalisoc_9
12-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Smart move by Karl...Now that he's gotten everyone talking about his new book...Watch the sales go up.

:lol