PDA

View Full Version : IMDb Top 250 list

AussieFanKurt
12-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Anyone familiar with it... interesting list of films. Been trying to make my way through more that I haven't seen... fuck some are overrated though

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

How many have you seen? I'm at 159

spurraider21
12-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Not enough marvel movies tbh

- lefty

12-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Not enough marvel movies tbh

- lefty (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6896)
:lol

Thread
12-23-2016, 12:28 PM
I watched "Double Indemnity" #82 the other day on TCM. This film is so fine. The way the characters talk about the "death house" and their inexorable path to it is so precise. They've sold their souls and are now living with this fact as they loiter the California gas chamber. At the end the wounded "Walter" extracts a cigarette from his inside left suit coat pocket. For the time I finally took note that the cigarette is blood soaked as Edward G. Robinson strikes the match on his fingernail and lights it.

My God.

Thread
12-23-2016, 12:34 PM
"Cuckoo's Nest" at #16. "Chief" denying "Ratched" her victory by extinguishing it with a pillow & the waterworks.

I'll take that moment on into the grave.

Thread
12-23-2016, 12:42 PM
"Cool Hand Luke" in at #171:::After Luke has finally given in---the fellows take the "Photo-shopped" picture= "It's fake, cost me a week's pay." of him and the two bar girls and rip it into pieces.

The final frame shows us the pic has been retrieved and taped back together.

The production didn't show us the fellows retrieving & taping that back together. They didn't have to. It's on celluloid,,,forever.

Thread
12-23-2016, 12:50 PM
At #194,,,"Stand By Me." "Ace" unblinking, uncompromising characterization of a psychopath among us. Never gave in. Never. From the start to the finish.

"C'mon, Ace." - "Eyeball"

"You're gonna have to shoot me, Ace."

"No problem."---as "Ace" moves near imperceptibly at such a notion.

The rest could & did stay where & there that day of shooting. But, Sutherland, he had to go somewhere else and we're all better for the commitment to the destination.

Thread
12-24-2016, 09:22 PM
"The Great Escape" in at #124. The maniacal flight by "X" and his face when he is captured after the escape. He's been warned he'd be executed were he to escape again and be apprehended. The look is decimating. But, [he] is heartened as he begins to believe that he'll be spared...then the convoy of trucks are separated and he is taken to the woods where he disembarks the truck to stretch his legs and realizes as the sun is rising in front of him it will be his last. Attenborough once more and for the last time tells it all in his countenance. Even though he'd been warned he still cannot believe they would do this.

SpursforSix
12-24-2016, 09:49 PM
City of God...great movie.

Thread
12-25-2016, 01:47 PM
"12 Angry Men" at #5 is legitimate here in a list that contains a lot of garbage. That "12" accomplishes it in just over 90 minutes is the astounding fact. It never flags nor fails. It's pure truth for 96 minutes. It's [Juror 3] where we bear witness a group of actors having their finest hour(s). Some would never go here again and others would go higher, but, for this shoot they attain this height. Lee J. Cobb as "3" is a broken man, a shattered father before he ever enters this jury room. In boundless flight he is finally stopped.

SpursforSix
12-25-2016, 01:58 PM
"12 Angry Men" at #5 is legitimate here in a list that contains a lot of garbage. That "12" accomplishes it in just over 90 minutes is the astounding fact. It never flags nor fails. It's pure truth for 96 minutes. It's [Juror 3] where we bear witness a group of actors having their finest hour(s). Some would never go here again and others would go higher, but, for this shoot they attain this height. Lee J. Cobb as "3" is a broken man, a shattered father before he ever enters this jury room. In boundless flight he is finally stopped.

It's rightful spot just behind...the Dark Knight?

Thread
12-25-2016, 02:03 PM
#24...Meticulously produced "It's A Wonderful Life" displays how relationships are forged and sealed, forever, no matter the trespass supposed, or, actuated. We're shown the beating that young "George" receives at the hands of the drunken & grieving "Mr. Gower." We're shown it though thru the filter of Gower's drug shelves. It's not too violent to get past the sensors unfiltered, but, the production knew "we" could not stand it. George swears he'll never tell and the young "Mary" at the soda fountain never speaks of it again.

A grown "Mary" never judges her one time child rival for George..."Violet" --- who loved George then and ever more. Mary understands though as George does (though he does not realize it) that love is not relegated to the one, or, the bedroom, but exists in everything -we- touch. As an adult Violet still addresses George as "Georgie Porgie"---still holding onto a time when her choices were endless.

There is more. So much more.

Thread
12-25-2016, 02:05 PM
It's rightful spot just behind...the Dark Knight?

Not for me, SS.

mookie2001
12-25-2016, 04:22 PM
The green mile is sorry trash garbage

SpursforSix
12-25-2016, 04:40 PM
#24...Meticulously produced "It's A Wonderful Life" displays how relationships are forged and sealed, forever, no matter the trespass supposed, or, actuated. We're shown the beating that young "George" receives at the hands of the drunken & grieving "Mr. Gower." We're shown it though thru the filter of Gower's drug shelves. It's not too violent to get past the sensors unfiltered, but, the production knew "we" could not stand it. George swears he'll never tell and the young "Mary" at the soda fountain never speaks of it again.

A grown "Mary" never judges her one time child rival for George..."Violet" --- who loved George then and ever more. Mary understands though as George does (though he does not realize it) that love is not relegated to the one, or, the bedroom, but exists in everything -we- touch. As an adult Violet still addresses George as "Georgie Porgie"---still holding onto a time when her choices were endless.

There is more. So much more.

Saw a short info clip in this saying it was not a big movie upon release and that it gained much of its popularity when it became part of the public domain in 1974 and stations were able to show it for free. No idea if this is true. I'm pretty sure I remember my mom saying she watched as a tradition when she was younger.

Thread
12-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Saw a short info clip in this saying it was not a big movie upon release and that it gained much of its popularity when it became part of the public domain in 1974 and stations were able to show it for free. No idea if this is true. I'm pretty sure I remember my mom saying she watched as a tradition when she was younger.

Yep, it did hit public domain and was for sell & shown everywhere. And it did hesitate a bit at premiere. It's a bit complex, perhaps too much so for the post war appetite.

DMC
12-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Watched Schindler's List, kept hoping they would get away...

Dark Knight is overrated so is Shawshank Redemption though both are great movies in their own rights.

Godfather II is overrated.

Saving Private Ryan should be higher

Interstellar shouldn't be on the list

Mitch
12-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Kubrick would be banging on IMDB's doors :lol

Reck
12-25-2016, 11:14 PM
The top 5 hasn't changed in like the past 5 years. lol

Rust Cohle
12-26-2016, 07:38 AM
:lmao Nolan fanboys ruining this list

SpursforSix
12-26-2016, 10:27 AM
:lmao Nolan fanboys ruining this list

This list is going to be incredibly biased to modern movies. And then further biased by like you said...fanboys.

from their description on the ratings:

We take all the individual votes cast by IMDb registered users and use them to calculate a single rating. We don't use the arithmetic mean of the votes (although we do display the mean and average votes on the votes breakdown) -- the rating displayed on a film's page is a weighted average.

So right off the bat, older movies...especially pre-internet time movies are going to take a big hit. Then on top of that, it favors whatever crowd takes the time to actually register with IMDB and vote.

Thread
12-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Watched Schindler's List, kept hoping they would get away...

Dark Knight is overrated so is Shawshank Redemption though both are great movies in their own rights.

Godfather II is overrated.

Saving Private Ryan should be higher

Interstellar shouldn't be on the list

& painfully so.

I cringe every time the kid comes into the prison to "prove" "Andy" is innocent.
I cringe every time "Andy" enters a sewer line and emerges from a storm drain.
I cringe every time "Andy" is sanding his boat with nary awareness of moon & tide.
I cringe every time I picture in my mind that self indulgent/heavy handed bastard King standing next to the Panavision apparatus.

SpursforSix
12-26-2016, 11:28 AM
& painfully so.

I cringe every time the kid comes into the prison to "prove" "Andy" is innocent.
I cringe every time "Andy" enters a sewer line and emerges from a storm drain.
I cringe every time "Andy" is sanding his boat with nary awareness of moon & tide.
I cringe every time I picture in my mind that self indulgent/heavy handed bastard King standing next to the Panavision apparatus.

Oh please. You've lauded this movie in several other threads.

I think it suffers from being one of the most overplayed movies ever. You get enough chances to watch, you'll eventually get bored and pick it apart.
Try to go back to the first time you watched it and remember your thoughts. It's a great movie. Plenty of good characters and mini plots. Then the final redemption.
Sure, if you look, it's easy to find the holes. Could probably say that about any movie. Especially if it's on TV 300 times a year.
I don't think King ever asked anyone to refrain from suspending belief. In all of his movies. From It to Stand By Me. Just in different doses.
I can't say I've watched every supposed "great" movie. But this has to be in the top 20 of all time. At that level, everything becomes subjective to the viewers demographics and preferences.
It's like throwing together a top 5 list of all time NBA greats. Everyone knows Duncan is in there with Jordan and Lebron. The exact position changes per the voter.

Reck
12-26-2016, 11:47 AM
The original Matrix movie has taken a hit for sure. That one was always up there in the top 10.

Probably the only good movie from the queer brothers.

Thread
12-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Oh please. You've lauded this movie in several other threads.

I think it suffers from being one of the most overplayed movies ever. You get enough chances to watch, you'll eventually get bored and pick it apart.
Try to go back to the first time you watched it and remember your thoughts. It's a great movie. Plenty of good characters and mini plots. Then the final redemption.
Sure, if you look, it's easy to find the holes. Could probably say that about any movie. Especially if it's on TV 300 times a year.
I don't think King ever asked anyone to refrain from suspending belief. In all of his movies. From It to Stand By Me. Just in different doses.
I can't say I've watched every supposed "great" movie. But this has to be in the top 20 of all time. At that level, everything becomes subjective to the viewers demographics and preferences.
It's like throwing together a top 5 list of all time NBA greats. Everyone knows Duncan is in there with Jordan and Lebron. The exact position changes per the voter.

Refresh me.

SpursforSix
12-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Refresh me.

Bend over.

Thread
12-26-2016, 12:02 PM
Bend over.

I knew it, You ain't got a hair on yer ass.

& I can allow "the kid" & King, but, the sewer line & the boat on water's edge are unforgivable.

SpursforSix
12-26-2016, 12:05 PM
I knew it, You ain't got a hair on yer ass.

& I can allow "the kid" & King, but, the sewer line & the boat on water's edge are unforgivable.

Fair enough. And I'm not going to spend the day after Christmas telling you that you didn't admit to sitting through the whole movie every time just to see Red's hat blow off.

Thread
12-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Fair enough. And I'm not going to spend the day after Christmas telling you that you didn't admit to sitting through the whole movie every time just to see Red's hat blow off.

Sure, I watch it every time. No matter where you catch it---it is watchable.

& it's got a bit of pomposity to it. They're all cold hearted convicts until the production decides they're all cuddly teddy bears cept for "Boggs" and his crew. This pomposity would be expanded and intensified with nary governor in "The Green Mile."

ADDENDUM:::Of course it's difficult to see Red's hat when they shrink the movie frame to fit in some faggot show preview. We lose the music, the credits are rolling so fast that I get dizzy and if I didn't know they tightly hugged I wouldn't know they tightly hugged.

SpursforSix
12-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Sure, I watch it every time. No matter where you catch it---it is watchable.

& it's got a bit of pomposity to it. They're all cold hearted convicts until the production decides they're all cuddly teddy bears cept for "Boggs" and his crew. This pomposity would be expanded and intensified with nary governor in "The Green Mile."

ADDENDUM:::Of course it's difficult to see Red's hat when they shrink the movie frame to fit in some faggot show preview. We lose the music, the credits are rolling so fast that I get dizzy and if I didn't know they tightly hugged I wouldn't know they tightly hugged.

You realize the plot of the movie. I'm sure you do. You think it would have played well if Red had to rape Andy every time he gave him a rock? Or if Brooks kept the bird because it felt nice in his butthole?

Andy surely you don't deduct for some network's formatting at the end. Spoiler...they hug tight. Then they spend the rest of their lives drinking tequila and banging local women. That's all in between the chess lessons that Andy gives to Red. Red never truly understands the game well enough to compete. But Andy doesn't insult him by letting him win. Both are thankful for their now simple lives. They have everything they need. Plenty of money, booze, food, and women. The End.

Thread
12-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Andy surely you don't deduct for some network's formatting at the end. Spoiler...they hug tight. Then they spend the rest of their lives drinking tequila and banging local women. That's all in between the chess lessons that Andy gives to Red. Red never truly understands the game well enough to compete. But Andy doesn't insult him by letting him win. Both are thankful for their now simple lives. They have everything they need. Plenty of money, booze, food, and women. The End.

Good stuff, S.

I've never considered the "chess" sequences.

Capt Bringdown
12-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Shawkshank is sentimental rubbish. The final redemption is simply childish wish-fulfillment.

SpursforSix
12-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Shawkshank is sentimental rubbish. The final redemption is simply childish wish-fulfillment.

Some movies have happy endings. Nothing wrong with it. In this case, it confirms how long Andy was planning his espcape.

Although it'd be funny if it ended with Red not remembering "Zihuatanejo".

Thread
12-27-2016, 12:44 AM

Cap, I don't mind sentimental rubbish. I even relish it. I just don't care for it when it's convenient.