PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Rodman told the truth about Robinson

KobeOwnsDuncan
12-23-2016, 01:44 PM
After the second game of the Western Conference Finals against Houston - after we fell behind two games to none with two losses at home - Avery Johnson stood up in the locker room, in front of the whole team and most of all the team's management, and said, "We can't wait for David Robinson to take us, because he ain't going to be there for us."

David Robinson was there, sitting right in the middle of everyone. When Avery was finished, David was still sitting there. He sat there and took it.

We lost that series in six games, and the Rockets went on to sweep the Orlando Magic in four games to win the title. I guess you could say, based on that, we were the second-best team in the NBA. That's not good enough, though, because I think we could have - and should have - beaten the Rockets.

I got blamed for losing that series, of course. Everyone says I sold out the Spurs, that I didn't play, that I was a major distraction. It's gotten to the point where the incidents in those two play-off series have become the defining point in my career.

Where was David Robinson in the Houston series? He got eaten alive by Hakeem Olajuwon that whole series. They asked me to guard Olajuwon, and I refused. Bob Hill came up to me and asked if I would take Hakeem in the first half, and I said no. I would have taken him in the second half, but not the first. Any coach will tell you you don't put your best defensive player on the other team's best offensive player in the first half. You put it all on the line in the second half. That's how it worked with Chuck Daly in Detroit, and I know that's how Phil Jackson feels in Chicago.

What you try to do is contain the guy in the first half and make sure your best defensive player doesn't get into foul trouble early. You've got be physical with Hakeem, and I'm no good if I've got three or four fouls in the first half. Then every time I touch somebody, it's a foul. Against Los Angeles in the semifinals I couldn't touch Elden Campbell without being called for a foul, and Elden Campbell doesn't get the breaks from the refs like Hakeem does.

So if you want me to guard him in the second, half, fine. David got into foul trouble against Hakeem just by falling down. David asked me for help, and I told him right to his ****ing face, "I am not going down there." I was not going to help him. He didn't say anything to me, because there was nothing he could say. Before those games, he looked so ****ing scared in the locker room, he couldn't stop shaking.

They asked me to double-team Olajuwon, and I refused. The way the defense was drawn up, there was no way I was going to be able to get back down inside when my man was at the top of the key or way out on the baseline. The defense didn't make sense, and I told Bob Hill this. He just looked at me and said, "This is the defense we're going to run."

In practice every day Coach Hill would say "David, you think you can play Olajuwon straight up?" David would just shrug and say, "You all can come down and help if you want." Never once did he say he could take him by himself. This guy was the MVP of the league, and they were paying him $8 million a year. He needed to step up and at least say he could do it by himself. He was supposed to be the one leading this team.

Those guys screwed me over for two years, and then they came to me and asked me to bail their asses out. That's what it came down to. I did what I had to do. I got them to the Western Conference Finals. I got them there, and we should have gone further.

I helped that team, but they didn't listen to me until it was too late. We lost the first two games - at home, even - because the defense we were running was ridiculous. David was getting killed inside, and Robert Horry was killing us from the outside.

Do you want to know who changed the defense for the next two games, after we got to Houston? I did. I saw what we were doing wrong, and I set out to change it. I finally got Bob Hill to see it my way, and it worked. David played Hakeem straight up. Hakeem got what he was going to get anyway, but we stopped everybody else. That's the whole key to stopping them: Give Hakeem what he wants and clam down on everybody else. It's not that hard to figure out.

We were heading back to San Antonio for Game 5, tied at two games. Even though we started out the series so badly, we were going home having to win two out of three, with two of them - Game 5 and Game 7 - at home. It looked like we finally had our act together.

So what happens when we go back home? Hill decided to go back to the defense we were running in the first two games. It was unbelievable. We went back to double-teaming way outside and getting our ass kicked inside. Then we switched up and collapsed inside so they'd throw it out to the shooter - Horry - and he killed us on three-pointers. We made Horry a star in that series.''

- Dennis Rodman's book "Bad As I Wanna Be

DMC
12-23-2016, 02:26 PM
And Phil told the truth about Kobe.

Mitch
12-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Can't expect much from Robinson after seeing he was later blowing kisses to Duncan on court, tbh

DMC
12-23-2016, 02:36 PM
He's sure hanging around since the success started rolling in. No problem getting him to show up now when the spotlight is on.

benefactor
12-23-2016, 02:39 PM
"During the investigation, Kobe told police that 'he should have done what Shaq does ... that Shaq would pay his women not to say anything' and that Shaq already had paid up to $1 million 'for situations like this.' This created controversy because Kobe and Shaq were teammates at the time and many thought that Kobe broke 'locker-room code' by revealing confidential information."

Chris
12-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Wgaf what that creature has to say tbh

spurs10
12-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Rodman made his life what it is. He didn't help, by his own admission, and now has come up with a bullshit excuse. Robinson, meanwhile, is a man of character and extremely well respected by his peers.

Silver&Black
12-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Who wore it better, tbh?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/993/837/Kobe-Bryant-white-outfits-575x379_display_image.jpg?1307376784

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/02/26/article-0-184BE460000005DC-710_634x676.jpg

RD2191
12-23-2016, 03:00 PM
Tldr: "I'm a huge cancer and refused to do my job because I'm a selfish bitch."

lefty
12-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Rodman dropping truth nukes and Spurms fans can't take it

But AJ shouldn't be the one doing the talking TBH :lol

DMC
12-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Rodman dropping truth nukes and Spurms fans can't take it

But AJ shouldn't be the one doing the talking TBH :lol
Yep, AJ's jersey in the rafters is the only time he's ever been at the same level as those around him.

hater
12-23-2016, 04:06 PM
Sure DRob was a sissy but Rodman sounds delusional imo.

daslicer
12-23-2016, 05:08 PM
You guys got trolled hard. No point in getting angry over an excerpt Rodman wrote all the way back in 1996. This is from 20 years ago who cares.

baseline bum
12-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Rodman was such a bitch in Game 2 of the 95 WCF, I can't believe that faggot has the nerve to criticize anyone else over that game. He got his ass benched for jacking up three threes in the first quarter. He didn't give a shit. Everyone remembers Bynum getting benched hen he jacked up that three. Rodman did it three times within a few minutes in a fucking must win game. And it was a must win game because Rodman left Robert Horry wide open for the game winner in Game 1 because he ran to the rim to try to stat pad his rebound numbers. LOL Rodman, you made Horry a star that series. :lol

RsxPiimp
12-23-2016, 05:54 PM
love stories like these tbh lol. wish more players would write their own book or memoir. Kwame when he was with the wizards, smush in los angeles, gary payton, shaq. I bet they all have some great stories to tell.

Arcadian
12-23-2016, 08:27 PM
What a faggot.

hater
12-23-2016, 08:51 PM
Have to agree. Any scrub in a failed championship team could throw the main star under the bus like that.

"But but he didnt carry us to the ship" :cry