PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Parker move as good as Mills off the ball?

apalisoc_9
12-23-2016, 11:12 PM
Mills movement off the ball when Leonard or Aldridge are doing their thing is beautiful to watch.

Parker on the other hand....

100%duncan
12-23-2016, 11:15 PM
One theory I have is that he has no go to shot unlike an on point patty so he doesn’t become as disruptive to the opponents as opposed to patty wanting to get open looks. It’s not like Patty has higher bball IQ than him, I think off-ball movement is pretty basic. Or he’s just a lazy fat ass.

Gagnrath
12-23-2016, 11:19 PM
Because you run to spots that you are comfortable catching and shooting from and that give the guy with the ball an open passing lane. Parker isn't comfortable shooting more than 12' out.

Clipper Nation
12-24-2016, 12:07 AM
Because he's too fat to run and can only waddle.

bklynspursfan
12-24-2016, 12:15 AM
Because Patty is a SG in a PG body. Parker and he are very different players. 1 is a spot up shooter, the other shoots better off the dribble

HarlemHeat37
12-24-2016, 12:20 AM
I was surprised to hear the Blazers announcers discuss how the Spurs are better when Mills is in for Parker, tbh..mainstream media is usually well behind..

12-24-2016, 12:49 AM
Dude is old

duncan2k5
12-24-2016, 01:20 AM
Parker is done, tbh...some of us need to stop living in the past, or else we will forever be losing in the 2nd round until our best players leave for free agency because they can't deal with the organization's stubbornness when it comes to change, and trying new things...pop pulled Murray in the 4th for a bad turnover, yet leaves tony in when he does the same, and gasol in when he has countless blown assignments, rebounds given up, and all round laziness... I'm all for being hard on player's mistakes, but be consistent... That's what earns respect

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-24-2016, 01:26 AM
Because he's played 35 thousand minutes in his career compared to Patty's 6 thousand. And that's not even counting the playoffs.

apalisoc_9
12-24-2016, 01:29 AM
Because he's played 35 thousand minutes in his career compared to Patty's 6 thousand. And that's not even counting the playoffs.

Except he's never been a really good off-ball player/playing off others in his career.

poeticism707
12-24-2016, 01:33 AM
I was surprised to hear the Blazers announcers discuss how the Spurs are better when Mills is in for Parker, tbh..mainstream media is usually well behind..

This.

Patty is so much better than Parker,

even the main stream media notices...

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-24-2016, 01:34 AM
Except he's never been a really good off-ball player/playing off others in his career.

Uh, not sure if serious.

Parker does not score too much off catch and shoot situations if that's what you mean, but no point guard is, it's kind of logical. On the other hand he's led the Spurs for many years in distance covered and is top 2 even this season I think. Imagine that.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-24-2016, 01:40 AM
He sucks and he's old as fuck....

Play Boban
12-24-2016, 02:17 AM
Because he's lazy.

DJR210
12-24-2016, 02:33 AM
Damn I get that Parker is a shadow of his former self, but god damn y'all are burying a Spurs great. Not his fault the FO gave out a career accomplishment contract

duncan2k5
12-24-2016, 05:39 AM
Parker needs to learn to take a backseat... Especially when he is hurting the team...

jermaine
12-24-2016, 08:18 AM

I heard that too... I think he said something like "You can say the Spurs are better with Mills vs Parker statistically"... But to be real, I'm not a Parker fan an I feel he along with Paul needs to come off the bench, but Parker has earn his stripes on this team... The level of disrespect of spurs players nearing the end of their careers is crazy...

cd98
12-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Parker isn't a shooter like Patty.

But Patty in his prime can't beat a big to the rim on a switch out on the three point line. In other words, he's not quick with the ball in his hands. Parker could do that in his sleep in his prime and can still do it now (he doesn't usually get that switch though). Just different skill sets.

kaji157
12-24-2016, 01:12 PM
Parker used to run well off the ball.

We used him through a lot of screens during the 2011 OKC series and during the Pnx series against Nash.

There were 2 plays that we used a lot that involved Parker being run thru many screens, the loop and the zipper cut.

I feel that Tony not being a threat anymore makes the defense to comitt less on Tony so such plays loose purpose.

DarrinS
12-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Mileage

dbestpro
12-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Mills moves without the ball. Parker wants the ball and won't move until he gets it.

Beaverfuzz
12-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Mills movement off the ball when Leonard or Aldridge are doing their thing is beautiful to watch.

Parker on the other hand....

Because Father Time is not as equally kind to everyone.

kuato
12-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Patty is a team player

cutewizard
12-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Gratitude??

Uhmmmm

Duncan, Ginobili .............uhmmm and Parker?!

lol

SpursforSix
12-24-2016, 10:25 PM
Gratitude??

Uhmmmm

Duncan, Ginobili .............uhmmm and Parker?!

lol

Parker is Whataburger onion rings. Almost always disappointing.

coachmac87
12-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Terrible thread...

Guy seriously asking why a shooter moves better without the ball then a non shooter??

bdictjames
12-25-2016, 10:41 AM
Terrible thread...

Guy seriously asking why a shooter moves better without the ball then a non shooter??
THIS.

Its like comparing Reggie Miller with, let's say, Andre Miller lol.

gambit1990
12-25-2016, 12:18 PM
^ speaking of andre miller, i'd rather him run the point than parker. same way i felt last year.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Parker Thread!

Sean Cagney
12-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Dude is old

This......

DMC
12-25-2016, 06:49 PM
He hasn't been the same since his leg injury some time back. Never actually recovered the ability to turn the corner on a defender which means he cannot lose coverage without the ball either.

dabom
12-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Porker is never gonna beat anyone off the dribble any more. He is done as a guard.

SASdynasty!
12-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Has Patty ever scored as much as Parker in a season?
Has Patty ever scored as much as Parker in a playoff series?
Has Patty ever had as many assists as Parker in a season?
Has Patty ever had as many assists as Parker in a playoff series?

So, what good is all this "off the ball movement" if it doesn't produce?

SASdynasty!
12-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Porker is never gonna beat anyone off the dribble any more. He is done as a guard.
Lol, he was beating guys off the dribble last night. Patty on the other hand...

Chinook
12-26-2016, 10:21 AM
As mentioned, the Spurs used to base their entire offense around Parker moving without the ball. So this thread is already off to a bad start. However, if the question is why is Tony not Patty, then there are multiple reasons behind that. But the biggest is that Tony is and was much better driving than he was shooting, which isn't the case for Patty. So Tony moving off the ball for most of his offense doesn't make a lot of sense. Teams are going to let him get open threes nowadays, because he's likely not going to even take those shots.

Also, Patty has the benefit of playing with Manu and before this year Diaw, whereas Tony has to play with Kawhi and LMA. The success of running off the ball with you have other natural play-makers feeding you is a lot higher than if you're the best play-maker on the floor but are depending on someone else to set you up.

$pursDynasty
12-26-2016, 11:15 PM
As mentioned, the Spurs used to base their entire offense around Parker moving without the ball. So this thread is already off to a bad start. However, if the question is why is Tony not Patty, then there are multiple reasons behind that. But the biggest is that Tony is and was much better driving than he was shooting, which isn't the case for Patty. So Tony moving off the ball for most of his offense doesn't make a lot of sense. Teams are going to let him get open threes nowadays, because he's likely not going to even take those shots.

Also, Patty has the benefit of playing with Manu and before this year Diaw, whereas Tony has to play with Kawhi and LMA. The success of running off the ball with you have other natural play-makers feeding you is a lot higher than if you're the best play-maker on the floor but are depending on someone else to set you up.
Truth....nuke