PDA

View Full Version : Report: Republicans have literally destroyed democracy in North Carolina

RandomGuy
12-24-2016, 10:49 AM
North Carolina is no longer a democracy: report

North Carolina can no longer be considered a democracy, according to a new report*from the Electoral Integrity Project (EIP), which rated the state's overall electoral integrity at the same levels of those in authoritarian states and "pseudo-democracies" such as Cuba, Indonesia and Sierra Leone.

The state scored 58 out of 100, with ratings so poor on the measures of legal framework and voter registration that it tracked closely with those in Iran and Venezuela. The state got a score of 7 out of 100 for the integrity of voting district boundaries.
According to the report, North Carolina was the worst state for unfair districting in the United States and the worst ever analyzed by the EIP in the world. These ratings mean that the state can no longer be considered a democracy.
The EIP, created in 2012, uses a system measuring 50 elements to the election process including legal framework, access to polling and how ballots are counted. Since it's creation, the EIP has measured 213 elections in 153 countries.
Some issues listed in the state of North Carolina included a large number of unopposed incumbent state legislators in the general election, poor districting that the EIP said displaces power and the GOP's veto-proof control as a majority in the state.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/north-carolina-is-no-longer-a-democracy-report

Orginal op-ed:

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article122593759.html

Andrew Reynolds has consulted in over 25 nations on issues of democratic design since 1991. His most recent book is The Arab Spring: Pathways of Repression and Reform (Oxford). He is a Professor of Political Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article122593759.html#storylink=cpy

Clipper Nation
12-24-2016, 11:03 AM
The project would not have been possible without the generous support and cooperation of the following organizations.

Open Society Foundation (http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/)

https://www.electoralintegrityproject.com/partners/

Soros-funded... what a surprise.

boutons_deux
12-24-2016, 12:10 PM
So George Soros forced the slave state NC Repugs to gut the Dem governor's powers? :lol

And Dems are whiny sore losers? :lol

Axl Rose
12-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Anti American groups like the democrat party shouldn't hold any power in this country at all. It isn't undemocratic enough at all until they're all placed in camps

DMC
12-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Let me know when the public executions are scheduled. I'll tune in.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Looks like the usual suspect is trying to turn this place into Stormfront.

Still think its funny he changed usernames after he called for a church shooting in the days before Dylan Wolf's rampage.

Oh and btw logless VPN's only work if they don't have a standing search warrant.

Axl Rose
12-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Ah yes the political forum is one person. I am also m>s, dirkoneanddoneski, DMC, thread and I use the TSA account to discuss my conspiracies

FuzzyLumpkins
12-24-2016, 03:28 PM
dp

FuzzyLumpkins
12-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Ah yes the political forum is one person. I am also m>s, dirkoneanddoneski, DMC, thread and I use the TSA account to discuss my conspiracies

:lol Making shit up to deflect.

Have to love cowardly facist types.

TeyshaBlue
12-24-2016, 03:51 PM
lol UTA

RandomGuy
12-27-2016, 04:22 PM
The project would not have been possible without the generous support and cooperation of the following organizations.

Description of Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.
Person B makes an attack on person A.
Therefore A's claim is false.
The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

So... your first our first instinct when given infomration that puts the Republican party in a bad light is to commit a logical fallacy.

You are the conservative version of boutons.

"duh, logical fallacy, appeal to emotion, I win, you lose, neener, neener". :rolleyes

You simply add another bit of evidence to support my statement that the conservative movement in this country is intellectually bankrupt.

No ideas, no ability to construct reasonable policies based on evidence and sound reasoning, just pure bloviation.

Why don't you make a case for how well functioning democracy is in North Carolina?

Chucho
12-27-2016, 05:16 PM

So... your first our first instinct when given infomration that puts the Republican party in a bad light is to commit a logical fallacy.

"duh, logical fallacy, appeal to emotion, I win, you lose, neener, neener". :rolleyes

You simply add another bit of evidence to support my statement that the conservative movement in this country is intellectually bankrupt.

No ideas, no ability to construct reasonable policies based on evidence and sound reasoning, just pure bloviation.

Why don't you make a case for how well functioning democracy is in North Carolina?

You posted the claim. You would be Person A. He didn't attack you or the author of the claim. If he didn't commit X as defined by your copyNpaste, you are incorrect, as defined by your copyNpaste. He made a segue statement that deflected any undertaking of rebuttal to your posted article. That is NOT ad hominem.

You can now retract your long winded way of calling Conservatives dumb and slap yourself for the audacity to even try that. You aren't as smart as you want to think you are.

Chucho
12-27-2016, 05:31 PM
LOL and the nerve and irony of an SJW criticizing policy making and ideas based on facts and rationale. The winners write the rules and yuse guys are passing the book because the country tired of failed Leftist policies of lies, contradiction and mixed messages and you're upset because you can only identify by labels and prefabricated partisan ideals, so you cant look beyond that narrown scope with objectivity as to whats best for the entirety of the population.

Barry pretending to be a hard ass with Israel after gifting them $500+ billion and promising another $500 billion over the next 8 years is just typically trivial of his Administration and policies and behaviors. If your buddy gives you shit loads of gifts unconditionally, you'd get pissed if he wormed his way out of voting on something and it cuts your legs from under you, you'd be pissed. Obama's passive-agressive schtick is old hat and he's passive agressive because he lacks confidence in his decision making and it shows in his inconsistent and contradictory actions, the Israel episode being the most recent example. Why? Because he and his masters lack policy and idea follow through.

boutons_deux
12-27-2016, 06:45 PM
$Bs for Israel to defend itself is a totally different issue than Israel moving settlers into the occupied territories, which energizes, inflames Muslims against Israel.

Obama and others are smart enough to know the difference. You are just fucking ignorant bubba.

Clipper Nation
12-27-2016, 06:56 PM

By that logic, it's a fallacy to point out when an anti-climate-change study is funded by oil companies.

Why should anyone care about some pointless study funded by the biggest left-wing donor on Earth to make Republicans look bad?

spurraider21
12-27-2016, 08:28 PM
By that logic, it's a fallacy to point out when an anti-climate-change study is funded by oil companies.

Why should anyone care about some pointless study funded by the biggest left-wing donor on Earth to make Republicans look bad?fair. but do you know how much each of those groups funded proportionally?

z0sa
12-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Gerrymandering/redistricting in general affects politics more than any other single political action of government.

boutons_deux
12-27-2016, 11:21 PM
Duke McCrory and his racist Repugs, SORE LOSERS

SnakeBoy
12-27-2016, 11:32 PM
lol RandomGuy...like literally

boutons_deux
01-02-2017, 09:59 PM
North Carolina Republicans sue to preserve racial gerrymandering
They have asked the Supreme Court to cancel the 2017 election.https://thinkprogress.org/north-carolina-republicans-sue-to-preserve-racial-gerrymandering-edbe1cf51c09#.hytuipczx

Winehole23
01-02-2017, 10:39 PM
the way it works is you have to vote em out. might take awhile.

Winehole23
01-02-2017, 10:42 PM
NC politics is schizzed out. It was even before it got all techy.

Winehole23
01-02-2017, 10:43 PM
The western part of North Carolina is damn beautiful to drive through.

RandomGuy
01-04-2017, 01:50 PM
You posted the claim. You would be Person A. He didn't attack you or the author of the claim. If he didn't commit X as defined by your copyNpaste, you are incorrect, as defined by your copyNpaste. He made a segue statement that deflected any undertaking of rebuttal to your posted article. That is NOT ad hominem.

You can now retract your long winded way of calling Conservatives dumb and slap yourself for the audacity to even try that. You aren't as smart as you want to think you are.

Hmmm.

To be 100% fair:

You are correct.

To be 100% fair:

That kind of statement is very often used as an implied ad hominem by people who don't really realize they are doing it.

It ceases to be a segue statement when it is the only statement offered in response, leaving the implication "you can ignore the story because of the source" hanging, with a bit of plausible deniability as to an actual flawed attack.

Do you think North Carolina has a functioning democracy? Yes or no, and what reasons do you have for defining it as such?

RandomGuy
01-04-2017, 02:03 PM
LOL and the nerve and irony of an SJW criticizing policy making and ideas based on facts and rationale. The winners write the rules and yuse guys are passing the book because the country tired of failed Leftist policies of lies, contradiction and mixed messages and you're upset because you can only identify by labels and prefabricated partisan ideals, so you cant look beyond that narrown scope with objectivity as to whats best for the entirety of the population.

I am not a "social justice warrior" by any reasonable definition of the term, sorry.

What I find funny is the naivete' buried in your statement. "tired of failed Leftist policies of lies", as if the uninformed masses that get their news from twitter and propaganda arms like Fox can distinguish between fact and fiction, and the truth actually matters. the truth just doesn't matter to the right, arguably, PROVABLY, so.

Our country is barraged with some pretty well financed propaganda campaigns that set the tone of debates. "death tax" over "estate tax", "job creators" over "wealthy". This shit is obvious as all get out, except for people like you, who go back for seconds on the cool-aid.

Occasionally, the right does realize that left policies work, after they have been beaten over the head with reality. Things like scrapping mandatory sentences, needle exchange programs, and so forth.

As someone with a finance/economics background, I am fully aware of how policies like protectionist trade agendas are bad overall. It is bad when Dems do it to protect unions, it is bad when Republicans do it, 'cause Trump said so.

Public policy should be based on reality, facts and evidence. The problem with "conservative" ideas is that they aren't. The free market leads to everybody worse off, with out some solid rules. Unquestioning faith in that is what plutocrats want, since they are the prime beneficiaries of such policies and beliefs. If you think the billionaires of this world, by and large, give a shit about struggling families, let alone understand them, that is laughable.

RandomGuy
01-04-2017, 02:05 PM

I notice that you still failed to address anything in the report.

Why is that?

Winehole23
01-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Public policy should be based on reality, facts and evidence.however that may be, how policy is packaged and sold to the public -- and how it makes people feel -- is very important too.

Chucho
01-04-2017, 03:12 PM
I am not a "social justice warrior" by any reasonable definition of the term, sorry.

What I find funny is the naivete' buried in your statement. "tired of failed Leftist policies of lies", as if the uninformed masses that get their news from twitter and propaganda arms like Fox can distinguish between fact and fiction, and the truth actually matters. the truth just doesn't matter to the right, arguably, PROVABLY, so.

Our country is barraged with some pretty well financed propaganda campaigns that set the tone of debates. "death tax" over "estate tax", "job creators" over "wealthy". This shit is obvious as all get out, except for people like you, who go back for seconds on the cool-aid.

Occasionally, the right does realize that left policies work, after they have been beaten over the head with reality. Things like scrapping mandatory sentences, needle exchange programs, and so forth.

As someone with a finance/economics background, I am fully aware of how policies like protectionist trade agendas are bad overall. It is bad when Dems do it to protect unions, it is bad when Republicans do it, 'cause Trump said so.

Public policy should be based on reality, facts and evidence. The problem with "conservative" ideas is that they aren't. The free market leads to everybody worse off, with out some solid rules. Unquestioning faith in that is what plutocrats want, since they are the prime beneficiaries of such policies and beliefs. If you think the billionaires of this world, by and large, give a shit about struggling families, let alone understand them, that is laughable.

You didn't respond with anything of substance. You just flipped my rhetoric to fit your partisan beliefs. You guys are so arrogant in the belief you are correct because you just disagree with "conservative ideas" and refuse to acknowledge that the same stuff you accuse the Right of doing has been done and is being done on the Left. Again, your partisanship is blinding you from being objective here.

And I agree, billionaires don't give a shit. George Soros and Obama's billionaire friends in the banking, real estate and big Pharma don't give a shit to struggling families the way that any conservative President's billionaire friends did. It's YOUR refusal and hardcore partisan bias is what makes you laughable. You've said nothing more than what has accounted to "I'm a Leftitst, you're a Repub, I'm right, you're wrong because I'm a Leftist and you're a Repub." That is the gist of it.

dbestpro
01-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Liberal score card. What else would you expect, but more fake news.

spurraider21
01-04-2017, 05:36 PM
Lol literally

Clipper Nation
01-04-2017, 05:42 PM
I notice that you still failed to address anything in the report.

Why is that?

The propaganda rag being passed off as a report is too biased to be worth addressing.

Do you actually believe that any U.S. state is equally as undemocratic as third-world dictatorships?

Winehole23
01-04-2017, 06:12 PM
what's happening in NC isn't the end of democracy, but it is a blind alley. dukes up!

boutons_deux
01-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Trash's "I won the popular vote if it were not for Ms of illegal voters" lie, gives NC and other red/slave states "justification" to disenfranchise even more severely.

FuzzyLumpkins
01-06-2017, 04:58 AM
The propaganda rag being passed off as a report is too biased to be worth addressing.

Do you actually believe that any U.S. state is equally as undemocratic as third-world dictatorships?

Who cares about belief? Are you some dullard that pigheadedly holds onto your beliefs no matter what?

Wait nm. It's you.

boutons_deux
01-09-2017, 07:15 PM
North Carolina Governor Ignores GOP, Moves to Expand Medicaid

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D) wants to join the 31 states that have expanded Medicaid access,

while GOP legislators vowed to fight efforts to make health care available to people with low incomes.

https://rewire.news/article/2017/01/09/north-carolina-governor-ignores-gop-moves-expand-medicaid/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rhrealitycheck+%28RH+Reality+ Check%29

Clipper Nation
01-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Who cares about belief? Are you some dullard that pigheadedly holds onto your beliefs no matter what?

Wait nm. It's you.
Lame deflection, even by your low standards.

Do you or do you not agree with the study's assertion that North Carolina is as equally undemocratic as third-world dictatorships like Cuba?

FuzzyLumpkins
01-10-2017, 01:21 AM

Do you or do you not agree with the study's assertion that North Carolina is as equally undemocratic as third-world dictatorships like Cuba?

You aren't even arguing anything specific. You are resorting to incredulousness.

I think they make a compelling case. Specifically, I have zero doubt that NC is gerrymandered to the hilt, attempts to implement Jim Crow style laws to disenfranchise the opposition, has a plethora of single candidate elections, that:

First, legislative power does not depend on the votes of the people. One party wins just half the votes but 100 percent of the power. The GOP has a huge legislative majority giving it absolute veto-proof control with that tiny advantage in the popular vote. The other party wins just a handful of votes less and 0 percent of the legislative power. This is above and beyond the way in which state legislators are detached from democratic accountability as a result of the rigged district boundaries. They are beholden to their party bosses, not the voters. Seventy-six of the 170 (45 percent) incumbent state legislators were not even opposed by the other party in the general election.,

that they gutted the executive branch destroying the balance of powers, or that they try to play thought police by preventing government agencies to use terms like 'sea level rise.'

If you want to make a compelling case how banana republics are somehow less democratic then I would love to read about it. We both know you are incapable of making an intelligent argument for that position though. Now go back to your insults and emojis to try and prop yourself up.

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 11:08 AM
After Protesters Shout At McCrory, NC Lawmaker Wants To Make It A Crime

https://res.cloudinary.com/tpm/image/upload/c_fill,fl_keep_iptc,g_face,w_653,h_361/b7pmz03vzb67ywrz4kcy.jpg

After video posted on Facebook Friday showed a group of people in Washington, D.C. shouting at former North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R), a GOP state legislator introduced legislation to make shouting at a former state official a crime.

Republican state Sen. Dan Bishop, who proposed the bill, told the News and Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article128185274.html) that the legislation would

"make it a crime to threaten, intimidate, or retaliate against a present or former North Carolina official in the course of, or on account of, the performance of his or her duties."

Bishop said that offenders of his proposed statute should serve a prison sentence up to five years.

In the video (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article128087744.html) posted online Friday, a group of people shouted "shame on you" at McCrory as he walked through Washington, D.C., calling him "anti-gay" and a "bigot."

Bishop, who was one of the sponsors of the anti-LGBT state law known as HB2, told the News and Observer that the crowd was a “a chanting mob” of “ubiquitous leftist rioters" and said that their actions were "dangerous."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/crime-shout-down-pat-mccrory?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tpm-news+%28TPMNews%29

... more evidence that Repugs, esp slave staters, are profoundly anti-democratic, and hereby anti-American

"dangerous" to dickless McCrory's ego

Thread
01-24-2017, 11:14 AM
^It's 1/2 as much as those rioters are facing from last Friday. They should count their blessings.

CosmicCowboy
01-24-2017, 11:19 AM
^It's 1/2 as much as those rioters are facing from last Friday. They should count their blessings.

Meh...It's DC...they will never get prosecuted.

boutons_deux
01-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Meh...It's DC...they will never get prosecuted.

just like your racist and bigot friends who deface mosques and synagogues and aren't prosecuted, right?

Thread
01-24-2017, 02:00 PM
just like your racist and bigot friends who deface mosques and synagogues and aren't prosecuted, right?

Right.

boutons_deux
01-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Charlotte mayor: GOP has threatened to dissolve our city council for protecting LGBT rights (http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/24/1624472/-Charlotte-mayor-GOP-has-threatened-to-dissolve-our-city-council-for-protecting-LGBT-rights)

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/24/1624472/-Charlotte-mayor-GOP-has-threatened-to-dissolve-our-city-council-for-protecting-LGBT-rights?detail=email&link_id=10&can_id=4217e8eb109c68bd0c2e4143dd2d8c15&source=email-trumps-mentally-ill-says-paul-krugman-2&email_referrer=trumps-mentally-ill-says-paul-krugman-2&email_subject=trumps-mentally-ill-says-paul-krugman

spurraider21
05-23-2017, 02:03 AM
SCOTUS struck down racial gerrymandering in NC districts. 5-3 decision with Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer, and... Clarence Thomas who actually wrote a concurring opinion

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/15-1262_db8e.pdf

Thread
05-23-2017, 04:14 AM
SCOTUS struck down racial gerrymandering in NC districts. 5-3 decision with Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer, and... Clarence Thomas who actually wrote a concurring opinion

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/15-1262_db8e.pdf

Quit voting in 90%+ blocks. Christ, have some gd conscience.

boutons_deux
05-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Quit voting in 90%+ blocks. Christ, have some gd conscience.

Repugs, quit screwing the 99%, esp the poor.

boutons_deux
05-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Trash's budget and Repug House AHCA are MORE IRREFUTABLE PROOF that the myth of American democracy is dead and long gone. Further confirmation is what has happened and is happening in red/slave Repug states.

America is an oligarchy that enables/protects/enriches itself, no matter who or what gets screwed.

RandomGuy
05-24-2017, 11:38 AM

If it is really that biased and propaganda, then it should be easy to debunk, a slam dunk.

What about the report did you find most inaccurate?

RandomGuy
05-24-2017, 11:45 AM

RALEIGH, N.C. – As the recount of votes in the November election continues in the Tar Heel State, a report from the Institute for Southern Studies has found that gerrymandering continues to impact the outcome of North Carolina's state and national races.

In the recent election, Democrats comprised 47 percent of voters, but only 23 percent of elected seats. The analysis was prepared by the Institute for Southern Studies.
http://www.publicnewsservice.org/2016-11-21/civic-engagement/report-gerrymandering-impacted-nc-election-results/a55016-1

I would say that makes a pretty compelling case that the state is moving in that direction.

When the party in power has to start cheating to stay in power... that erodes the rule of law.

RandomGuy
05-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Earlier this year, a nonpartisan panel of retired North Carolina justices and judges released a suggested congressional map for North Carolina to demonstrate how redistricting might work. The panel created 13 districts based on geography only, without regard to party affiliation.

If put in place, it is estimated that six of those districts would be Republican, four Democrat and three would be in play. Currently, there are 10 Republican districts in the state.

boutons_deux
05-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Is Anthony Kennedy Ready to Put an End to Partisan Gerrymandering?

The Supreme Court’s swing voter will decide the future of American elections.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/05/170523_JURIS_Kennedy.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

Say what you will about Justice Samuel Alito, but the man always thinks ahead.

On Monday, Alito dissented in Cooper v. Harris,

the landmark 5–3 ruling (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/05/in_cooper_v_harris_the_supreme_court_strikes_a_blo w_against_racial_redistricting.html) that united Justice Clarence Thomas !!!!! and the Supreme Court’s liberals

to strike down North Carolina’s racial gerrymander.

Frustrated by the progressive result, Alito penned a 34-page broadside lambasting his colleagues for accusing the state of race-based redistricting.

North Carolina, Alito insisted, had gerrymandered along partisanlines, not racial ones, in an effort to disadvantage Democrats, not blacks. And partisan gerrymandering, Alito reminded us, does not violate the Constitution.

In fact,

the constitutionality of partisan gerrymandering is a matter of extensive debate—and

the Supreme Court will almost certainly decide its fate (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/01/death_to_the_gerrymander_paul_smith_might_defeat_u nconstitutional_redistricting.html) next term in a blockbuster case called Gill v. Whitford.

five justices agreed that partisan gerrymanders can violate the Constitution, one of those five—Kennedy—wasn’t ready to invalidate them.

In his concurrence, he asserted that nobody had yet presented a consistent method of identifying and fixing unconstitutional political redistricting

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/05/is_anthony_kennedy_ready_to_put_an_end_to_partisan _gerrymandering.html

spurraider21
05-24-2017, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4dIImaodQ

baseline bum
05-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Damn Uncle Thomas ruled against the GOP?

spurraider21
05-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Damn Uncle Thomas ruled against the GOP?a comical take on it

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/05/4-libs-and-clarence-thomas-unite-to-smack-north-carolinas-racial-gerrymandering/

boutons_deux
05-24-2017, 04:18 PM
New Brennan Center report details just how strongly redistricting maps favor the GOP nationwide (http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/5/23/1665216/-New-Brennan-Center-report-details-just-how-strongly-redistricting-maps-favor-the-GOP-nationwide)

The Brennan Center for Justice published a major new report (https://www.brennancenter.org/publication/extreme-maps) last week that uses multiple statistical measures to examine how congressional maps around the country mete out partisan advantages to one party or the other. The study provides detailed mathematical evidence for what redistricting-watchers have long known: The redistricting plans passed in the wake of the 2010 census give Republicans a monumental and consistent advantage nationwide.

states with single-party control over the redistricting process stand out as having the worst disparities between the popular vote and seat counts.

(For instance, Donald Trump won Michigan by 0.2 percentage points, but Republicans hold 64 percent of the state’s congressional districts.)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/5/23/1665216/-New-Brennan-Center-report-details-just-how-strongly-redistricting-maps-favor-the-GOP-nationwide?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dailykos%2Findex+%28Daily+Kos %29

boutons_deux
05-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Voter Suppression Works

A new memo (http://www.demos.org/publication/voter-suppression-analysis-civis-analytics) from Priorities USA and Civis Analytics provides evidence that voter ID laws successfully disenfranchised voters in 2016.

Civis and Priorities also find that these laws disproportionately harmed black voters, by examining how black turnout changed at the county level between 2012 and 2016.

As the table shows, turnout out in counties with a high black population share dropped by 2.2 points in states where ID laws did not change, compared to a 5 point drop in states where a strict ID law was implemented.

Finally, Civis and Priorities compared turnout changes in counties in Wisconsin (which passed a strict ID law) and Minnesota (which did not, and has demographics similar to Wisconsin), by the percentage of African Americans in the county.

As the chart shows, turnout in highly black counties declined dramatically more in Wisconsin than in Minnesota. Civis estimates that the turnout decline attributable to voter ID in Wisconsin was enough to swing the state from Clinton to Trump.

This analysis builds upon other academic research suggesting (http://kyledropp.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/0/9/12094568/dropp_voter_id.pdf)that voter ID laws have dangerous implications for democracy.

Voter ID is only one way in which policymakers suppress votes of people of color.

Felon disenfranchisement (http://www.salon.com/2017/04/02/the-voting-rights-issue-no-one-talks-about-ending-the-disenfranchisement-of-felons-will-strengthen-democracy/), poll closures, early voting cuts and onerous registration deadlines also suppress votes.

Collectively, these practices can suppress millions of votes, leading to a less equitable democracy and shifting election outcomes.

http://www.demos.org/blog/5/9/17/voter-suppression-works

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 12:51 PM

Yes. North Carolina's Republican party has engaged in many of the same tactics as that of Iran's government, as noted in the report.

Do you think that one party government is healthy?

Winehole23
11-08-2018, 11:36 AM
North Carolina Dems now have a 5-2 majority on the State Supreme Court. Court ordered redistricting and voter suppression rollback is a possibility.

Republican shenanigans may have backfired this time.

SnakeBoy
11-08-2018, 11:40 AM
So democracy wasn't literally destroyed

Winehole23
11-08-2018, 11:49 AM
I never thought so.

Winehole23
03-26-2019, 11:48 AM
this is the paradox of it:

boutons_deux
03-26-2019, 12:24 PM
How is disenfranchising voters through partisan gerrymandering NOT a Federal issue?

America is structurally fucked and unfuckable. The Constitution is the main culprit.

The inevitable? Constitutional Convention by the red/slave states, all owned by the oligarchy, will destroy the Constitution and the American myth of democracy.