PDA

View Full Version : After the Bucks incident, Bertans has barely played.

apalisoc_9
12-24-2016, 09:34 PM
:lol

Not a coincident. He was huge in the spurs early east coast Road Trip and looked like a legit contributor. After the Bucks incident, he's been relegated back to DNPs or Garbage minutes.

I wonder if Pop goes to him in the playoffs in situational matchups. The spurs could have used him against the LAC and the Bulls loses when they stinked offensively...but Pop opted to just sit him.

I guess the Bucks incident is a no no for Greg Popvich.

TXstbobcat
12-24-2016, 09:38 PM
I drove from Minnesota to Milwaukee for that Spurs game. Exciting finish that went down to the final possession.

GSH
12-24-2016, 10:31 PM

Not a coincident. He was huge in the spurs early east coast Road Trip and looked like a legit contributor. After the Bucks incident, he's been relegated back to DNPs or Garbage minutes.

I wonder if Pop goes to him in the playoffs in situational matchups. The spurs could have used him against the LAC and the Bulls loses when they stinked offensively...but Pop opted to just sit him.

I guess the Bucks incident is a no no for Greg Popvich.

I hope that's not it. I was glad to see him step up and show some fire. If he's really not going to play him, he should let him go somewhere else.

BillMc
12-24-2016, 10:35 PM
It's a coincidence.

Bertans, for whatever reason, has become very hesitant to shoot. And that, plus Pop giving more time to Kyle, has reduced Davis's role.

TimDunkem
12-24-2016, 11:14 PM
Ah, so Bertans is now "hesitant" to shoot. Good to see these Spurstalk myths are still going strong.

He doesn't look hesitant at all. Between the lack of minutes and lack of opportunities to shoot in the offense, it's obvious that hesitation has nothing to do with it. I'm sure if he was firing 30 foot jumpers everytime he touched the ball, people here would complain about that too.

GSH
12-24-2016, 11:29 PM
It's a coincidence.

Bertans, for whatever reason, has become very hesitant to shoot. And that, plus Pop giving more time to Kyle, has reduced Davis's role.

There have been quite a few "coincidences" over the years. None of us ever know what's going through Pop's mind, but it sure has looked like players get in his doghouse.

Are you taking into account that Kyle has been more hesitant than anyone to put up shots? He threw up 5 against the Clippers, but he only put up 2 in 16 minutes against Portland, which is even less than his season average on a per minute basis. (Per 36, if you like that better.) The point is, the only game he's been less hesitant than Bertans was against the Clips. Whatever Pop's reasoning, I don't see how that's it.

Edit: Here, Bill, just for laughs: Kyle's FGA/36 is the lowest on the team at 5.7. Bertans is averaging 8.0, which is about the same as Danny and Dedmon. And like I said, with the exception of the Clipper game, Kyle has been putting up less shots Per 36 recently, and not more.

urunobili
12-25-2016, 12:57 AM
Classic Pop TBH. To me the incident it's definitively the reason.

Darius Bieber
12-25-2016, 01:24 AM
I drove from Minnesota to Milwaukee for that Spurs game. Exciting finish that went down to the final possession.

Where in MN you at? I spent a summer in Brooklyn Park as an intern for Xcel energy.

John Petrucci
12-25-2016, 01:49 AM
And people will continue to bitch and moan about how he's not shooting 50% from 3 when he gets inconsistent and random minutes as a fucking rookie.

cjw
12-25-2016, 01:49 AM
Edit: Here, Bill, just for laughs: Kyle's FGA/36 is the lowest on the team at 5.7. Bertans is averaging 8.0, which is about the same as Danny and Dedmon. And like I said, with the exception of the Clipper game, Kyle has been putting up less shots Per 36 recently, and not more.

Let's not forget that Kyle was padding his FGA, steals and assists at the end of the Clippers game with that ridiculous sequence...

SpurPadre
12-25-2016, 02:16 AM
He fucking needs to get over himself, tbh.

Arcadian
12-25-2016, 02:32 AM
Well that's gay. You don't punish a guy for standing up for his teammates. They won that game anyway.

Snaq O'Meal
12-25-2016, 04:50 AM
He fucking needs to get over himself, tbh.

I agree. Pop absolutely needs to get over himself.

r0drig0lac
12-25-2016, 05:05 AM
Classic Pop TBH. To me the incident it's definitively the reason.

BillMc
12-25-2016, 05:13 AM
There have been quite a few "coincidences" over the years. None of us ever know what's going through Pop's mind, but it sure has looked like players get in his doghouse.

Are you taking into account that Kyle has been more hesitant than anyone to put up shots? He threw up 5 against the Clippers, but he only put up 2 in 16 minutes against Portland, which is even less than his season average on a per minute basis. (Per 36, if you like that better.) The point is, the only game he's been less hesitant than Bertans was against the Clips. Whatever Pop's reasoning, I don't see how that's it.

Okay, that's a good point. I stand, er, sit corrected. However, Kyle and Davis have different roles. Kyle, in theory, is out there for playmaking and defense. Davis is out there for scoring. So, Davis should have a higher FGA rate. So, I still say his lack of playing time lately has little to do with the brawl and more to do with Kyle playing slightly better and Davis being unable or unwilling to get his shot up.

GSH
12-25-2016, 06:15 AM
Okay, that's a good point. I stand, er, sit corrected. However, Kyle and Davis have different roles. Kyle, in theory, is out there for playmaking and defense. Davis is out there for scoring. So, Davis should have a higher FGA rate. So, I still say his lack of playing time lately has little to do with the brawl and more to do with Kyle playing slightly better and Davis being unable or unwilling to get his shot up.

LOL. Merry Christmas, you stubborn old CIA spook! :lol

BillMc
12-25-2016, 06:18 AM
LOL. Merry Christmas, you stubborn old CIA spook! :lol

Shhhhhhh......the enemy may be under an alt, don't blow my cover.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Raven
12-25-2016, 08:37 AM
It's a coincidence.

?

tmtcsc
12-25-2016, 09:40 AM
It's a coincidence.

Yeah, whats up with that? As if he was brought in for any other reason than to let it fly. Reminds me of Brent Barry's frustrating run on the Spurs. Comes in, hustles, runs to his spots on the floor and then quickly passes the ball right after receiving it. SMH SHOOOT!!

TimDunkem
12-25-2016, 10:06 AM
He's a smart player. He's not going to chuck every time he's open. Once he gets more minutes and/or opportunities, he'll shoot more.

Every player for the Spurs is damned if they do or damned if they don't here on Spurstalk. Smh

UZER
12-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Yeah, whats up with that? As if he was brought in for any other reason than to let it fly. Reminds me of Brent Barry's frustrating run on the Spurs. Comes in, hustles, runs to his spots on the floor and then quickly passes the ball right after receiving it. SMH SHOOOT!!

:lol Thought I was the only one that felt that way. His run here wasn't quite what it couldve been.

I'm a way I blame that on Pop. When shooters get here, mentally they go from green light to yellow light. Sure he "gives" them the green light, but he's such a dominant looming figure, they're afraid to disappoint.

I think because he demands so much defense, they expend so much energy to please him on that end of the court, that they just don't have the energy and are somewhat mentally drained to let it fly with a clear conscience on offense.

Of course they're are always the rare exception, Manu / Patty.

TXstbobcat
12-25-2016, 10:31 AM
Where in MN you at? I spent a summer in Brooklyn Park as an intern for Xcel energy.

I am in Medicine Lake, a few miles from downtown Minneapolis.

cd98
12-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Bertrans is a hesitant shooter and teams already know to chase him off the three point line. I know this sounds crazy, but he needs to watch tape of Bonner and come up with a way to score once he's chased off the 3 point line.

GSH
12-25-2016, 11:17 AM
:lol Thought I was the only one that felt that way. His run her want quite what it couldve been.

I'm a way I blame that on Pop. When shooters get here, mentally they go from green light to yellow light. Sure he "gives" them the green light, but he's such a dominant looming figure, they're afraid to disappoint.

It seems that way sometimes, but that's why I like to go to the stats:

Roger Mason shot more often when he came here. Hedo shot just as often. Brent Barry shot more often than he had for the several years before he came here. Horry's attempts/36 came up significantly after he came here from LA. Drew Gooden's FGA/36 went way the hell up when he came here, which is one of the reasons he didn't get to play - he was a true black hole, trying to prove something. Richard Jefferson's attempts dropped off a bit, but more than he has since he left - his had a lot to do with where he was in his career. Same with Finley - some drop off in frequency, but tail end of his career.

I really don't think that Bertans has been any more reluctant to shoot than Kyle - both have been pretty gun-shy, with the exception of a few games each. But part of Bertans' lack of minutes is probably the fact that since the 11/25 game, he's gone 2-14 from 3P. Chicken or egg?

SAGirl
12-25-2016, 11:48 AM
It's a coincidence.

IMO, and that is just an opinion mind you, has nothing to do with Kyle.

Most of Kyle's minutes come as a wing... Very rarely he's played the 4 since the Dallas game at home that Pop played all his rookies and youngsters and it came down to the wire. Bertans started that game as a 4 and played the most minutes. I think Kyle didn't play any more than 2 minutes as a 4 against Portland and we have to go way, way back to that Dallas game I think to find him at that spot outside of garbage time. Pop has gone to "small" and perimeter lineups with his rotation wings Danny, Manu and Kawhi and has added Simmons at times if Manu has reached his minutes restriction or is resting. It's obvious to me he's preferring Simmons for "small" lineups. For Pop Bertans is a strict big.

I think Davis' lack of recent play is more a reflection of Pop settling in a rotation of 10 guys and neither Davis nor Kyle being on it. Both or either could have played against the Bulls when others kept throwing up bricks and Pop refused. He went down with his 10. It was inexplicable to me at the time. I thought Pop may have wanted to put the pressure on his rotation guys or whatever to get it done. Simmons and Manu shot 1-8 and 0-9 respectively (or something of that nature) and it was a notoriously poor game for several starters as well (Lamarcus with his inefficient bricks and Pau with his statue like defense made appearances in that game). That was a Pop who reminded me of how he coached the Clippers series in 2015... he went down with Tony throwing up bricks game after game, despite having Cujo chained to the bench. He couldn't have been worse than Tony in that series. Pop at this point kind of has his guys apparently and is putting the burden on those 10 guys.

Against the Clippers for example, Simmons was 2-10 or something of that sort. The second half of that game, the Clippers went to a perimeter lineup and for sure they could have used Bertans' shooting but again his lack of play was not due to Kyle. Kyle himself played a few minutes in 2nd Q at a wing spot bc Ginobili was rested. He played well, both scored on his own and got steals, deflections, and made plays on defense + was rebounding... Yet, he didn't play in the second half when Pop was trying to get back into the game and when the minutes mattered. Pop stuck again to his rotation guys. Kyle didn't get in the game again until Pop waved the white flag. He and Dijon attempted a comeback that came close and was a better effort than the group that played before them.

That is just an opinion. For what it's worth, I thought Kyle was in the doghouse himself despite recent good play. The reality is both guys are out of the rotation when everyone is healthy and Pop probably pre-determines the games they will play carefully. I suspect Davis will make appearances again and Kyle will appear to be in the doghouse again.
----

As an aside, Davis issue is rebounding, and blocking out other bigs from the boards, not passiveness. IMO he hasn't been getting looks. It may be that he's not screening effectively to free himself or more likely, opponents are respecting him as a shooter and bringing in help from someone else, or recovering quickly to him. Pop doesn't appear to mind who is scoring, so long as guys in general are executing the offense and Davis' man sticking to him presents opportunities for others. (The Bonner effect) It's an uphill battle for him to get minutes bc the other rotation bigs who are quality players (Lee...)

HankChinaski
12-25-2016, 11:56 AM
You guys ever consider some of this so called "doghouse" may be attributed to things that occur outside of games like at the practice facility? Maybe he is being put in the "dog house" for not doing the work there as well. Just a hypothetical to consider

SAGirl
12-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Bertrans is a hesitant shooter and teams already know to chase him off the three point line. I know this sounds crazy, but he needs to watch tape of Bonner and come up with a way to score once he's chased off the 3 point line.
I really haven't noticed him passing up shots... so many bring that up, that now I wonder if I am not paying attention enough to him doing that.... lol

Russ
12-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Any foreigner who is 6'10" or taller is going to go through a long rough period with Pop. Most never come out of it.

But some (like Tiago) do. Bertans is a big-time talent and he should emerge sooner than most.

Play Boban
12-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Pop is senile. Case closed. KISS.

TimDunkem
12-25-2016, 07:37 PM
I really haven't noticed him passing up shots... so many bring that up, that now I wonder if I am not paying attention enough to him doing that.... lolHe literally just came in right now and shot it as soon as he touched it. It's either one of those Spurstalk myths people parrot to sound knowledgeable, or they literally expect him to chuck it every time he touches it. This "hesitant to shoot" nonsense is just that - nonsense.

TimDunkem
12-25-2016, 07:41 PM
Seriously, you people are nuts. He isn't hesitant at all. He shoots good shots and makes plays when he can.

Lmao @ him needing to "watch tapes of Bonner to learn how to score after being run off the line". How many times did you see Bonner throw oops, thrown down reverse dunks, slash to the hole, swing the ball effortlessly, or do anything other than slowly pump fake and jog like a t-rex into a slow baby hook?

I swear, most here don't know basketball.

CGD
12-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Nah, it's more about getting Dedmon and Lee going. Davis will get his chance in years to come.

100%duncan
12-25-2016, 08:33 PM
It’s fucking annoying. There are a lot of times, esp in the clippers game that we needed some spark.

Spurtacular
12-25-2016, 09:17 PM

That's a bit of a drive; I've made it before. That's wanting to see a game live.

Gagnrath
12-25-2016, 10:06 PM
Seriously, you people are nuts. He isn't hesitant at all. He shoots good shots and makes plays when he can.

Lmao @ him needing to "watch tapes of Bonner to learn how to score after being run off the line". How many times did you see Bonner throw oops, thrown down reverse dunks, slash to the hole, swing the ball effortlessly, or do anything other than slowly pump fake and jog like a t-rex into a slow baby hook?

I saw Bonner with decent slashes to the basket, and some ok post game as well as fairly good passing around the perimeter in the 2007 to 2012 time frame. He was a respectable bench big with outside shooting in his first 3 to 5 years here.... He was always fine until the 2014-15 season as a stretch 4 situationally. The problem was when he was being asked to be the first big man off the bench and play 20+ minutes per game and in some cases start. When a guy should be a solid 10 to 15 minutes a night change of pace sub and he is tasked with being the primary bench big he will look uninspiring. He also got older and slowed from his never impressive to begin with athletic peak. I am not really interested in debating how bad Bonner was though....

TimDunkem
12-25-2016, 11:32 PM
Your history of Bonner's shittiness is completely backwards. He was asked to do to much starting in the 08-09 season then his role diminished slowly from there.

And he never slashed to the basket. A pump fake and slow "drive" into defenders in the lane is not a slashing game.

cd98
12-26-2016, 01:17 AM
Your history of Bonner's shittiness is completely backwards. He was asked to do to much starting in the 08-09 season then his role diminished slowly from there.

And he never slashed to the basket. A pump fake and slow "drive" into defenders in the lane is not a slashing game.

Obviously you never watched the Spurs when Bonner had a role. When he was chased off the three point line he had a runner that he could make. It was effective. Meanwhile, when Bertrans is run off the line, he passes the ball. He can stretch a defense, but to get minutes, he's got to be able to do something once he's chased off the line.

You probably don't watch much basketball, but clue in on the fact that Bertrans isn't a superstar in the making. To stick in this league, he needs to find a niche. So he should watch players that had a similar role to one he is trying to carve out. Bonner is the perfect guy to watch as he had some success in the Spurs system. Unfortunately since you know little about basketball, you assume that bc Bonner "sucked" per Spurstalk fan, even though he did a great job of spreading the court in his prime.

SAGirl
12-26-2016, 02:38 AM
This discussion is very interesting. I suspect we see Davis again. I was very wordy in my post but TLDR version: basically he's a deep bench reserve with a few weaknesses (rebounding, rim protection, and as mentioned by the post above, developing counters when run off the line that result in a good % shot). He has flashed game though.
Spurs need him for depth and to develop for next season so I suspect we will see him again soon.

TimDunkem
12-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Obviously you never watched the Spurs when Bonner had a role. When he was chased off the three point line he had a runner that he could make. It was effective. Meanwhile, when Bertrans is run off the line, he passes the ball. He can stretch a defense, but to get minutes, he's got to be able to do something once he's chased off the line.

You probably don't watch much basketball, but clue in on the fact that Bertrans isn't a superstar in the making. To stick in this league, he needs to find a niche. So he should watch players that had a similar role to one he is trying to carve out. Bonner is the perfect guy to watch as he had some success in the Spurs system. Unfortunately since you know little about basketball, you assume that bc Bonner "sucked" per Spurstalk fan, even though he did a great job of spreading the court in his prime.
You're a fool. Plain and simple. His runner wasn't very effective at all and this was at a time where the Spurs didn't have nearly as many weapons as they do now. Bertans job is to keep the defense honest. He shoots when he's wide open and moves the ball when there's nothing there. Not that that is all he can do though. He's had numerous examples in the short time he's played by driving into the lane, getting to the line, and being in the right spots around the basket to get easy dunks. The latter being something the ginger t-rex couldn't do unless he had a five second head start so he could gather the ball with two hands and jump off of two feet. :lol Clearly, the one who isn't watching is you or else we wouldn't even be discussing this.

If Bertans needs to improve, he'd do well not to watch tapes of Bonner. No one wants to see the guy telegraph exactly what he's going to do everytime by throwing a slow pump fake and slowly driving into traffic only to end up throwing up a desperate runner, or pick up his dribble and look for someone to bail him out every single time.

But, please, go on about Bonner was so effective and dynamic offensively.

AaronY
12-26-2016, 11:26 PM
Who's supposed to come out of the rotation to give him minutes? Lee I guess? If lee is playing the backup pf with Dedmon I don't see where Bertans gets his minutes

TheDoctor
12-26-2016, 11:49 PM

LMAO :lmao

Chews
12-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Well that's gay. You don't punish a guy for standing up for his teammates. They won that game anyway.

I 100000% agree with this. Especially when you come out and say your guys are lacking fire and effort.

jyra
12-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Who's supposed to come out of the rotation to give him minutes? Lee I guess? If lee is playing the backup pf with Dedmon I don't see where Bertans gets his minutes

I don't think anyone is arguing for Bertans to take over as the backup PF full time. Ideally he and Lee would split minutes depending on the matchup (more mobility or strength) and how much shooting is needed on the floor. But if Lee keeps playing at a high level that's obviously not much of a concern.

GSH
12-28-2016, 11:00 AM

First of all, this time of year Pop has always used longer rotations. In the playoffs he shortens down to 9 or 10, with only spot minutes going to other guys.

Second, Bertans has shown signs of being able to knock down 3's, and of being a pretty good rim protector. There are times when both of those things would be valuable from the bench.

Third, he was getting more minutes (during the heart of games) right up till that incident. Maybe it's coincidence, but there's at least reason to think it might not be. Really, the biggest reason to think it's just coincidence is thinking, "Pop wouldn't do that."

$pursDynasty
12-28-2016, 11:11 AM
oh the "fight"? man I actually thought that was
A) Cool and defending a teammate
B) showed me that Davis had more sack than I would have originally thought.

I hope this is another one of those time we attribute something to CIA Pop that isn't true because I would hate to believe his was in a doghouse because of this. I am thinking Pop is just tinkering with lineups. I was surprised that there was so little Simmons in the playoffs but Pop will cut the cord on a newbie with a quickness until he feels that player has enough Corporate knowledge.

Chinook
12-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Bertans isn't that good yet. He's very streaky, and when he is on, he looks unbeatable. But he still has a pretty low BBIQ, and a questionable body. I'd like to see him play more, but he doesn't make sense inside the regular rotation. He really can't play the three, and Lee and Dedmon both deserve time over Bertans. Pop isn't playing as long of rotations this year with all the new guys he needs to get refined. Also, the front court has been healthy so far, which wasn't the case with Tim and Splitter previously.

As far as him passing up shots, I'd still say he does that too much. He totally should shoot every time he touches it, like pretty much every other elite three-point shooter does. If you look at Redick and Korver, they don't need a lot of separation to get their looks off. Bertans has to be like that to reach his potential (actually, he, Green and Mills all have to be like that more often). Otherwise, he's pretty much just Bonner. He should be much more than that with his skill-set, but he won't get there if he has the mentality of a role-player.

SAGirl
12-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Bertans isn't that good yet. He's very streaky, and when he is on, he looks unbeatable. But he still has a pretty low BBIQ, and a questionable body. I'd like to see him play more, but he doesn't make sense inside the regular rotation. He really can't play the three, and Lee and Dedmon both deserve time over Bertans. Pop isn't playing as long of rotations this year with all the new guys he needs to get refined. Also, the front court has been healthy so far, which wasn't the case with Tim and Splitter previously.

As far as him passing up shots, I'd still say he does that too much. He totally should shoot every time he touches it, like pretty much every other elite three-point shooter does. If you look at Redick and Korver, they don't need a lot of separation to get their looks off. Bertans has to be like that to reach his potential (actually, he, Green and Mills all have to be like that more often). Otherwise, he's pretty much just Bonner. He should be much more than that with his skill-set, but he won't get there if he has the mentality of a role-player.
Thanks for sharing this opinion.
I like to read different perspectives.
I didn't think he was passing up shots. I have thought he doesn't set good screens to free himself though. Or that he screens and rolls when he should be popping more, or frankly all the time. He doesn't seem to be looking for his shots as much. He might be too used to playing like a wing in Europe. I state that bc I observed him moving off the ball very well. His issue to me seems to be that playing as a big (as opposed to a wing) off the ball movement is not the same... really other than rolls which is not his best skillset... he needs to be screening and popping more.

Bittom line for me I haven't seen him enough (I missed some games he's played... the Boston game for example one of his best)... also the Spurs defense declined a lot while Dedmon was injured and Bertans getting minutes. He doesn't rebound like a forward.... He's simply not good enough right now to play when the other front court players are healthy. I think you and BillMC are right though in that his thing is shooting and him playing games without taking a shot will not get him out of the bench.

LittleCriminal
12-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Dedmon
Lee
Bertans
Manu
Mills

This should be the second unit..
I dont understand why Pop wont play Bertans at the 3.
This is Bertans original position.

Chinook
12-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Bertans is second on the team in 3PA/36. That's good. But he's third-to-last on the team in FGA/36. That's very bad. There's simply no reason why he shouldn't shoot as much as like Patty or Manu per minute. He's out there for only one thing, and he needs to do that thing. A lot. To the point where it's almost too much. There's a difference between being a floor-spacer and a scorer. The Spurs need the latter from him, not the former.

ceperez
12-28-2016, 02:05 PM

What I want to know is why the Clippers give a lot of screens for Redick but they never do the same for any of their 3 point shooters? Shouldn't Bertans, Mills, Green or even Leonard deserve the occassional screen?

SAGirl
12-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Everything is a PNR...or a PNP. Spurs simplified their offense I assume due to all the new personnel and them wanting to take advantage of the athleticism if their current guys (thus all the lob throwing).

They are hardly calling plays for anybody. We were commenting about that with Danny a few weeks ago. Pop has been encouraging them to move the ball better and look for each other and they have been doing that more and more lately. It that also makes it unpredictable who is going to have a big game or not and Bertans is very dependent on others finding him in good spots. I thought over 90% of his shots are assisted.