PDA

View Full Version : How does Pop plan to Hide Gasol and Parker against CLE?

apalisoc_9
12-25-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm starting to think the Cavs might be a worse matchup for The spurs than the warriors. If they miraculosuly win against the warriors a tougher matchup is ahead.

Their dribble/drive penetration offense tonight looked unstoppable. Kyrie and Lebron is are both going to overkill the spurs.

Kyrie/Lebron Duo is a massive matchup nightmare considering our Rim protection is non-existant...

The spursbare going to get pick and rolled massacared to death..

spursistan
12-25-2016, 10:58 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/52/44/ee/5244ee42e012206e3136e10fe4946125.jpg

apalisoc_9
12-25-2016, 11:01 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/52/44/ee/5244ee42e012206e3136e10fe4946125.jpg

Not going to happen. Pop loves his international "cultured" players.

Even if they played 20mpg that should be enough to massacare the spurs.

dabom
12-25-2016, 11:12 PM
He played 2015 Porker like prime Tony while he had patty shooting 70%TS. :lol

Pq0

Spurs need a miracle

dabom
12-25-2016, 11:13 PM
Talking about our bench carrying porker.

spursistan
12-25-2016, 11:18 PM
Seriously I'm going to start a #FirePop movement on the net (website/twitter/sponsored facebook page etc..) if Pop does go down with the Gasoft/Porker ship in the playoffs..

SAGirl
12-25-2016, 11:23 PM
They can't be hidden... hopefully Pop "managing" minutes, using his discretion, etc.

lilbthebasedgod
12-25-2016, 11:23 PM
Imo gasol and dedmon are a better fit together than LMA and Dedmon because Lee and Gasol would be just as bad defensively.

Moving LMA to the bench would be the ideal but just won't happen. He could fill the ginobili role where he is a obviously a "starter" but fills a gap in the bench

lilbthebasedgod
12-25-2016, 11:25 PM
They can't be hidden... hopefully Pop "managing" minutes, using his discretion, etc.

Also this, you can't hide both a big and a guard at the same time. Hiding schemes on defense rely on the idea of a big filling a gap or a guard stopping penetration and forcing things to the baseline.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2016, 11:27 PM

Kyle Anderson os a better rim protector than Gasol, tbh.

bklynspursfan
12-25-2016, 11:37 PM
Play them less. He benched TD against the Warriors last year. Says all you need to know. He is well aware of the issues everyone here complains about

AaronY
12-26-2016, 12:32 AM
Well, we're not getting to the Finals honestly so it doesn't matter

TD 21
12-26-2016, 12:40 AM
Gasol and Parker are going to start and play within a certain range of minutes, no matter the match-up or their performance. It's just a question of whether they skew towards the high or low end of it. Against these two, it's likely to be the low end, particularly in Gasol's case.

The questions are: do they have one player good and suited enough to soak up significantly more minutes or do they do it by committee? Who's the fifth finisher in close games? Do they stay big or go small?

james evans
12-26-2016, 12:47 AM
Seriously I'm going to start a #FirePop movement on the net (website/twitter/sponsored facebook page etc..) if Pop does go down with the Gasoft/Porker ship in the playoffs..
I know it might sound blasphemous to say, but I think the Spurs need to move on fromPopovich, because his bullshit almost cost us the game today. The game was over in the first quarter. Leonard and Aldridge couldn't miss shit. What does he do? Benches them.. wtf. It's like he doesn't want us to blow teams out. Then they stuck with us the rest of the game until the 4th.

UZER
12-26-2016, 12:47 AM

I made a thread or post about this before the season started saying does he own it to kawhi to bench Parker and Manu of they are absolutely hurting the team in the playoffs, or is he ok waisting another year.

But what has he ever done in his coaching career to make you think he won't go do this again. He is notorious for waiting until it's too late to make changes...like the second half of the elimination game kinda late. Then he can say, see I told you it wouldn't work.

james evans
12-26-2016, 12:49 AM
Play them less. He benched TD against the Warriors last year. Says all you need to know. He is well aware of the issues everyone here complains about
Duncan had a 25 point first half in game 6. The 2nd half, the ball was taken out of his hands. That's all you need to know abut popovich the past few years. It's like he covering a point spread against the spurs.

ducks
12-26-2016, 12:56 AM
How will Leonard defend cavs without Duncan behind him?

dabom
12-26-2016, 12:57 AM
Pop called a time out in 2014 game 6 and kept tiago instead of putting in Duncan. :lmao

MI21
12-26-2016, 12:58 AM
Defensively, I'm more worried about Gasol than Parker in this potential match up. Parker can be hidden a bit on JR Smith as he is basically a spot up shooter these days and if Cleveland want to isolate JR to take advantage of Tony, I would welcome that vs there ball movement getting the D scrambling.

Gasol can not chase Love out to the 3pt line and I doubt he can handle the defensive board against Thompson and Love...

dabom
12-26-2016, 12:58 AM
Pop called a time out in 2014 game 6 and kept tiago instead of putting in Duncan. :lmao

I will never forget this. He let the Heat but a 10 point lead and when he does call a timeout, he keeps tiago. :lmao

I just wanted to add to this. :lmao

ElNono
12-26-2016, 01:00 AM
https://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/19-san-antonio-spurs-marco-belinelli-and-tony-parker.jpg

cd98
12-26-2016, 01:03 AM
Yes, bench Parker because Mills can definitely guard Irving. You won't need to hide him at all.

100%duncan
12-26-2016, 01:49 AM
Keep Lebron on Earth and let Kyrie get his. Unfortunately, Love is also a match-up problem and Lebron being on “earth” is probably a 23 pt 8 reb 8 assists 2 blocks performance.

dabom
12-26-2016, 01:54 AM
Yes, bench Parker because Mills can definitely guard Irving. You won't need to hide him at all.

Except Patty actually gives the team something unlike just being a POS every fucking possession. :lmao

cd98
12-26-2016, 03:23 AM
Except Patty actually gives the team something unlike just being a POS every fucking possession. :lmao

Yeah Patty was doing a lot for us against OKC last year, including playing awesome defense against Westbrook. Again, I like Patty and he has a nice role, but he can't guard anyone and if he isn't making threes, he's close to worthless.

cd98
12-26-2016, 03:25 AM
Keep Lebron on Earth and let Kyrie get his. Unfortunately, Love is also a match-up problem and Lebron being on “earth” is probably a 23 pt 8 reb 8 assists 2 blocks performance.

Kyrie can singlehandedly beat the Spurs. He's scored 50 on us and even Kawhi couldn't slow him down in that game. Cavs are a tough matchup other than Kawhi's ability to slow LeBron.

100%duncan
12-26-2016, 03:42 AM
Kyrie can singlehandedly beat the Spurs. He's scored 50 on us and even Kawhi couldn't slow him down in that game. Cavs are a tough matchup other than Kawhi's ability to slow LeBron.
Kawhi obviously can’t guard Kyrie and there’s no way he should be the main defender aside from some switches. Our problem with Kyrie, as with our problems with GSW and Clippers, is the same, neither our PG’s can’t guard the opposing team’s elite PG and Parker (if Pop plays him a lot of minutes) can’t score enough points due to his limitations as a player at this age to balance out his being liability on defense.

TheGreatYacht
12-26-2016, 03:43 AM
He couldn't guard Lebron even with Duncan bailing his ass out. Lebron averaged a triple double on >50%

100%duncan
12-26-2016, 03:45 AM
He couldn't guard Lebron even with Duncan bailing his ass out. Lebron averaged a triple double on >50%

Christmas is over I guess

TheGreatYacht
12-26-2016, 03:48 AM
Christmas is over I guess
I said no lies. This thread is about the Cavs. Parker has as much of a chance of stopping Kyrie as Kawhi does to Lebron. It ain't happening

dabom
12-26-2016, 03:49 AM
Yeah Patty was doing a lot for us against OKC last year, including playing awesome defense against Westbrook. Again, I like Patty and he has a nice role, but he can't guard anyone and if he isn't making threes, he's close to worthless.

He was playing with Diaw fathead Manu and Dworst. Stfu faggot. He has proven in 2014 and 2015 to be amazing. And it's even bigger difference in 2016/17

100%duncan
12-26-2016, 03:53 AM
I said no lies. This thread is about the Cavs. Parker has as much of a chance of stopping Kyrie as Kawhi does to Lebron. It ain't happening

No :lmao

What do you expect? You are not gonna “stop” lebron to a below 20 points per game even when he has a bad game :lol His lowest ppg average in the post season is 23.7 points per game, that’s what once-in-a-lifetime talents do to you no matter how great you are at what you do. You can do better son :lol

TheGreatYacht
12-26-2016, 04:00 AM
No :lmao

What do you expect? You are not gonna “stop” lebron to a below 20 points per game even when he has a bad game :lol His lowest ppg average in the post season is 23.7 points per game, that’s what once-in-a-lifetime talents do to you no matter how great you are at what you do. You can do better son :lol
Kyrie torched Klay, Iggy, Steph.....

He has killer instinct like Ferrari. Not much TP can do either :lol

The games would have to be won from the bench. Mills needs to be the 6th man now that he's in contract year mode

100%duncan
12-26-2016, 04:02 AM
Kyrie torched Klay, Iggy, Steph.....

He has killer instinct like Ferrari. Not much TP can do either :lol

The games would have to be won from the bench. Mills needs to be the 6th man now that he's in contract year mode

The basically my point.... While kawhi can “stop” Lebron by limiting his production and overall impact to the game, he can’t stop him though from getting more than 20-25 which is why he’s the 2nd greatest basketball player of all time.

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 07:19 AM

LeBron can't guard Kawhi either, so that match-up is a wash.:wakeup

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 07:21 AM

The best defense against Kyrie is to make him play defense but he's most likely going to hide on Danny.:bang

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 07:23 AM

Simmons needs to end Dick Jefferson's career, tbh.

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm starting to think the Cavs might be a worse matchup for The spurs than the warriors. If they miraculosuly win against the warriors a tougher matchup is ahead.

What they need a miracle for is beating the Cripples, tbh.:lol

Their dribble/drive penetration offense tonight looked unstoppable. Kyrie and Lebron is are both going to overkill the spurs.

Kyrie/Lebron Duo is a massive matchup nightmare considering our Rim protection is non-existant...

Granted they didn't have Love to space the floor, Thibs had Pau sag on the LeBron PnRs in the 2015 playoffs & he was able to bother him at the rim w/ his length: (Basically, play '13 Finals defense & hope his jumper is off unlike Gm 7)

tnONG85EX28

Pau best defensive play in a Bulls uniform also came against LeBron::lol

31ZkVuQs-J0

Fireball
12-26-2016, 07:34 AM
Cleveland ? We will Not play them in a game that matters :lmao

SASdynasty!
12-26-2016, 08:17 AM
He was playing with Diaw fathead Manu and Dworst. Stfu faggot. He has proven in 2014 and 2015 to be amazing. And it's even bigger difference in 2016/17
2014 Playoffs:

Parker: 17/5
Mills: 7/1

2015 Playoffs:

Parker: 11/4
Mills: 10/1

2016 Playoffs:

Parker: 10/5
Mills: 7/2

---

If Mills continues to not be able to produce against bench units and can't distribute the ball, not sure what options Pop really has. He's not a good point guard because he doesn't create scoring from his passing or lack thereof, but he's not a good 2-guard because the production really isn't there and he can't create. He's a great spot-up shooter as a role player and that is what Pop continues to use him as. Until he works on his handles I'm not sure what else PATFO is left to do except make him an energy player and spot-up shooter off the bench, whereas it's still the 39-year-old Manu that is more of the second unit's best ball handler.

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 08:41 AM
2014 Playoffs:

Parker: 17/5
Mills: 7/1

2015 Playoffs:

Parker: 11/4
Mills: 10/1

2016 Playoffs:

Parker: 10/5
Mills: 7/2

---

Could you breakdown the stat padding & the scoring efficiencies. :wakeup

SASdynasty!
12-26-2016, 08:47 AM
Could you breakdown the stat padding & the scoring efficiencies. :wakeup
As in show that Parker got his points and assists against first units and Mills got his against second units?

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 09:11 AM
As in show that Parker got his points and assists against first units and Mills got his against second units?

No, take Porker's cock out of your mouth then wipe the slob off your face.

couchman
12-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Gasol on Love and Parker on JR Smith is probably the answer, but the reality of this team is that we need to be amazing on offense if we are somehow going to win a championship.
We simply don't have the pieces to be a shut down defensive team, and the NBA doesn't work that way anymore anyways because of rules changes and 3 point shooting.
Our last championship was primarily won because of the beautiful game on offense.
We need to create a beautiful game again.
That means letting some offensively talented players like Gasol spend as much time as possible learning how to work with their teammates. We also have to hope that Parker is pacing himself and will find another gear in the playoffs. He has obviously been terrible so far and we probably can't win anything with him being this bad.

Chinook
12-26-2016, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't be worried about Cleveland, honestly. They're easier to defend than GS, and their ability to defend LMA and Pau (and the bench bigs) isn't much better that the Warriors'. The Spurs need to worry about themselves. They can match up with anybody so long as they have eight or nine guys who actually play like they're worth a shit in the playoffs. They have very little room for error, but if they hit their ceiling at the right time, they'll be fine.

Capt Bringdown
12-26-2016, 10:12 AM
The diamond-sharp coaching of Doc Rivers (from Pop's perspective) and Chris Paul are going to take the Spurs down before they get a chance to get obliterated by the Cavs.

12-26-2016, 10:40 AM

12-26-2016, 10:41 AM

12-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Between Kyrie and Love, the Cavs might be the worst matchup outside of the Clippers.

12-26-2016, 10:44 AM
LeBron can't guard Kawhi either, so that match-up is a wash.:wakeup:lmao :lmao :lmao player fans

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 10:51 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao player fans

Kawhi dominated Dominos in the season opener, LeBron could only neutralize him.:sleep

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Between Kyrie and Love, the Cavs might be the worst matchup outside of the Clippers.

I agree, LeBron isn't the issue.:toast

12-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Kawhi dominated Dominos in the season opener, LeBron could only neutralize him.:sleep
Different match ups :sleep

LeBron when his jumper is on, shits all over Kiwi.

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Different match ups :sleep

LeBron when his jumper is on, shits all over Kiwi.

What about the OTHER end?:wakeup

Dominos did EVERYTHING he wanted when LeBron was on him that Lue turned to Dick Jefferson.:lmao

30 yr old LeBron couldn't defend Baby Kawhi even when he was shooting 50% from 3 in the '14 Finals.:sleep

Imagine 33 yr old LeBron trying to defend PRIME Kawhi in a 7 game series.:lol

bklynspursfan
12-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Duncan had a 25 point first half in game 6. The 2nd half, the ball was taken out of his hands. That's all you need to know abut popovich the past few years. It's like he covering a point spread against the spurs.

Miami also adjusted their defense, if you go back and watch that game again you'd see how it played out.

Pop has made some errors, though coming on here you'd think we had Mike Brown as the coach or someone.

r0drig0lac
12-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Pop does not have a plan against Cleveland, he does not believe we can reach the finals

Leetonidas
12-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Parker on Shumpert but Pau on anyone is gonna be awful

james evans
12-26-2016, 12:53 PM
What about the OTHER end?:wakeup

Dominos did EVERYTHING he wanted when LeBron was on him that Lue turned to Dick Jefferson.:lmao
Wouldn't matter. Parker's going to help him out by just passing to Aldridge and Gasoft
30 yr old LeBron couldn't defend Baby Kawhi even when he was shooting 50% from 3 in the '14 Finals.:sleep

Imagine 33 yr old LeBron trying to defend PRIME Kawhi in a 7 game series.:lol

$pursDynasty
12-27-2016, 10:19 AM
Why does this thread exist? The NBA is about matchups and the Spurs matchup nightmare is with the Clippers like it used to be with the Thunder. As for Lebron every time the Spurs have run across him in the playoffs they have won (except for the one time that they should have), and in the regular season it took an unworldly game from Kyrie (might have been the best regular season game I saw last year) for the Cavs to barely squeak by the Spurs. Yes I know Timmay is gone now but it isn't a "how in the world can they do it" situation because we have seen it done repeatedly. For the Spurs the Clippers are the worst matchup moreso than even the Dubs or the Cavs.

GSH
12-27-2016, 10:46 AM
"How does Pop plan to Hide Gasol and Parker against CLE?"

This worked for Boban - and he was bigger than Pau and Tony put together.

http://nba.cdn.turner.com/nba/big/teams/spurs/2016/03/24/387299/1458789658933-_highlights--boban.png-387299.576x324.jpg

cd98
12-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Pop has a good track record on teams that make it to the finals, so if the Spurs defense is good enough to get to the finals, I'm not too worried about solving Cavs. That said, last year I though GSW were unguardable, but the Cavs shut them down. So don't be fooled by what things look like this early in the season.

HarlemHeat37
12-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Parker would be fine on Smith or Shumpert, neither of them can effectively create their own shot anymore, tbh..they wouldn't be a rebounding or cutting threat, either..

Love and Frye would be matchup problems, though..even Richard Jefferson, he would be playing with hate in his heart:lol

gambit1990
12-27-2016, 03:07 PM
surprised people are fine with parker guarding shump. he can blow by him and go for a dunk.

testies
12-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Better question is, which cavs scrub will outplay the autistic? Liggins?

TD 21
12-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Parker would have to guard Smith some, but due to Smith's combination of size and ability to make difficult shots, he wouldn't be fine on him. He would be on Shumpert and to be determined backup point guard.

Gasol would be fine on Thompson, but not Love and especially Frye, for their range and because of the latter's quick release.

This is another issue with this team: in addition to inferior star power to the Cavaliers, Warriors and Clippers, their third best player can't play significant minutes against at least the first two and maybe all three.

Kawhitstorm
12-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Parker would have to guard Smith some, but due to Smith's combination of size and ability to make difficult shots, he wouldn't be fine on him.

Yeah, you would have to put a bigger guy on JR otherwise he's going to be shooting uncontested shots over a chair as a 6'6" jumper shooter. He's also pretty good at creating space w/ his body & he can easily bump off Porker if he's playing him tight:

bDVqlS7M0m0

MaNu4Tres
12-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Yeah, you would have to put a bigger guy on JR otherwise he's going to be shooting uncontested shots over a chair as a 6'6" jumper shooter. He's also pretty good at creating space w/ his body & he can easily bump off Porker if he's playing him tight:

bDVqlS7M0m0

I rather keep Parker on JR Smith and induce the Cavs to give him 15-20%+ of their possessions. Whatever you need to do to not optimize the touches for Bron/Kyrie.

AFBlue
12-28-2016, 02:42 AM

Pop plans to exploit mismatches and impose his will as he's done his entire coaching career. Pop plays chess while other coaches play checkers. You really think Lue is going to out-gameplan and out-execute Pop?

spurraider21
12-28-2016, 02:59 AM

bDVqlS7M0m0
lol you absolutely live with smith taking this shot... just because he made that one doesn't mean shit in the long run. if anything this video demonstrates smith's inability to generate good looks off smaller defenders

Kawhitstorm
12-28-2016, 03:07 AM
lol you absolutely live with smith taking this shot... just because he made that one doesn't mean shit in the long run. if anything this video demonstrates smith's inability to generate good looks off smaller defenders

A good shot for JR is having his set feet before he launches a semi-contested shot or shooting step-backs over small defenders which is basically what he accomplished against Curry.:lol

UNT Eagles 2016
12-28-2016, 05:55 AM
Parker on Irving, Gasol on Love/Thompson. Easy

look_at_g_shred
12-28-2016, 11:53 AM
He wont